Sponsored by:

Trade-In more difficult if modded?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trade-In more difficult if modded?

Hey Guys,

With all this talk about trade in problems for the gentleman with the Volvo 2.5t, I am wondering if the dealer will give me a hard time with my trade in later this May for my TL.

I currently have a 97 Camry V6 with the factory body kit, lowered with factory (TRD/Eibach) springs and Tokico struts, factory thicker rear swaybar and have a JVC mp3 head unit with 12 disc changer in the trunk. My question to you guys is...will the dealer have problems with this setup? Will he deduct from the value of the car?

I've also had a few fender benders that have been fixed. How does that play into the equation? I was told by friends that I should not fix up the car too much since the dealer will do bodywork on it anyway and the money I will spend will never be recovered. Anyone like to confirm or refute this?

Thanks so much guys. The dealer called yesterday to tell me that my TL will be built end of April and delivered about 10-15 days thereafter. I can't wait.

dsc888
Old 03-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dealers will ALWAYS try to low-ball the trade-in amount. But, if you're honest with them about what's been done to the car, at least you don't have to worry about a complaint of misrepresentation. You may not like the amount they offer, but few customers do. You should try to get an accurate assessment of the car's worth elsewhere, and consider selling it privately. or you can try to get the dealer to increase the trade-in offer, which is easier to do if they are desperate to make the new car sale. Unfortunately, they are not so desperate with the TL's right now, so your bargaining power may be limited. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the trade in might be lowered if its modded. it all depends on what was done to the car. remember the dealer has to turn around and try to sell the car. its hard to sell a car that has been modded. as for the body work it is true they will fix it a bit. but they will use it as a reason to lower the trade in value. cause time is money which they will need to spend fixing it. but it might not matter because if they offer you 4-5 hundred less because of the body work it will probably cost you the same to get it fixed, so its a moot point.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience has been that you will never get back the money you put into your car for mods or for 'fixing up' the car on trade in. Either pull the parts out and sell them separately or let them go. I think you can always sell your car for more on your own - but you have to deal with the hassle.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
GregS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

My experience is similar to the others. A few years ago, I traded in my 2001 TL, which had custom wheels. The Dealer (I was buying a new 300M - which I recently traded for my '04 TL), told me that if they took the car in trade with the original stock wheels, they would be able to give me $1,000 more. They (the Chrysler Dealer) claimed that because I had custom wheels, the Acura Dealer (to whom they were going to wholesale the car) told them that it could not be sold as a 'certified pre-owned' Acura unless it was completely stock (a lot of crap, if you ask me). Anyway, I had sold the factory wheels, so I had to take $1,000 less. As it stands, the Chrysler Dealer also screwed me on the factory rebate, but that is a story for another time. That's what I get for buying that car on my lunch hour!

Although I have custom wheels on my '04 TL, I am keeping the factory wheels. My intent is in a few years, when I am ready trade in the '04 TL, I will put the OEM wheels back on the car (maybe with the old crappy Turanzas. too!).

Regards
Old 03-31-2004, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the responses. I am waiting on my best buddy's dad to take a look at it once he is back from vacation to see if he will buy the car. I think I will simply detail it nice and hope for the best. Practically all the mods were Toyota aftermarket parts so I hope that will not reduce the value at all. I still have the stock springs in my basement. Do any of you think I should offer them the springs upfront so that they can take it back to stock ride height? Again, thanks for all the responses. The weird part of the situation is that I have already left a deposit for my TL and kept the trade as a totally separate transaction upon delivery of the car. They told me they would have an area Toyota dealer come appraise it...whatever that should mean.

dsc888