Sponsored by:

Touch-ups/Alterations after buying used

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:43 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Touch-ups/Alterations after buying used

Hi all!

I am a new proud owner of a 2008 TL base model. I bought this for a steal (i hope) and in my excitement to scoop this deal up I brushed aside a couple of small chips on the side panels near the door, I think its chipped to the metal, and some slight scratches on the outer edges of the rims, but now they are really starting to get at me. My question is, can/should I use the acura OEM touch up paint to fill in the chips? Will it look nice? I have no experience but I am extremely patient and careful with this car. The chips are about the size of a grain of rice, so not too bad. Also, I have heard that some dealers do rim resurfacing, is that worth it? I know I have been reamed before looking at acura dealership rates.

Finally, and i guess off topic too, the small little deck spoiler thing addition looks great on these TLs but it's $300+ OEM and the ass of this car already looks so sexy IMO. I want to spice it up, just make it a little different than stock, if I was to gripe I would say the front hood area looks a little plain stock. Is there anything you guys would recommend as cheap alterations for making it look a little unique in the front, or even better a cheap way to get a hold of an OEM spoiler deck?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Advanced

Also, my taste leans usually towards understated class. I bought this car for it's class and power and I'd like to keep it like that, but I'm open to any suggestions for alterations.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
cheap mods and TL really don't go together. you'll find that out if you explore the site a little more.

wheel refinishing...the dealer doesn't do this. they have someone come to the dealer to do it, basically subletting the work.

touch up paint...dpending on the color of your car, touch up paint can look horrible, or blend ok from a distance. if there are enough chips that annoy you, then you might be better off respraying the front end.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
If you want to add something something to set it apart from the masses, save about $750 and get the aspec lip kit. While common around the forums, you hardly ever see another TL with it on the road. Best improvement you can do at the beginning.

Also - before having your base wheels refinished, look into different wheel options. If the wheels end up being $600 to fix, you need to ask yourself how much you really like the base TL wheels, or if you want to switch to something new (or used from the Black Market, like I always do).

Last edited by KJ TL-S; 08-31-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
Also - before having your base wheels refinished, look into different wheel options. If the wheels end up being $600 to fix, you need to ask yourself how much you really like the base TL wheels, or if you want to switch to something new (or used from the Black Market, like I always do).
I agree. My base wheels were curbed too. Then the wife bent one on a pot hole. It financially made zero sense to have them fixed/refurbished. I paid a couple hundred more and got brand new OEM wheels for $900
Or get nice used in BM. BM is located at top left under "forums".
Good luck
Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Alright thanks guys! I just can't believe that little deck spoiler was $300 from acura!!! I'm coming from a toyota corolla where everything was dirt cheap to fix hahah. Glad I upgraded but I do miss the cheap (semi good quality) parts!