Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch-Free Wash bad for finish?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Touch-Free Wash bad for finish?

Is there any reason not to occasionally use a touch-free (high water pressure spray) automatic wash? How will the finish hold up? Will my wheels get (more) damaged?

When the weather gets nicer, I'll be washing by hand. Right now, I want to clean off the bug parts from last night's ride.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
User Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a good question. I don't have access to my own water hose as I'm put up in a corporate apartment. The closest thing I have to a carwash that's any good is a touchless/brushless carwash (one know the laser wash thing).

What more could I do to care for the vehicle? I have access to an enclosed garage, is there an after treatment?

I thought about an orbital buffer with something like Meguair's. Any thoughts?

Just adding on to the question from żGotJazz?.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Re: Touch-Free Wash bad for finish?

Shouldn't be a problem. If you are really concerned, you can:
  • use the lower pressure setting, i.e., don't press the trigger
  • spray at an angle
  • spray from a distance
Originally posted by żGotJazz?
Is there any reason not to occasionally use a touch-free (high water pressure spray) automatic wash? How will the finish hold up? Will my wheels get (more) damaged?

When the weather gets nicer, I'll be washing by hand. Right now, I want to clean off the bug parts from last night's ride.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think he's talking about the hand held high pressure washers. He said "automatic wash". I take mine through the automatic touch free wash occasionally. Just to knock off the salt they put all over the roads here in KY during winter. I would suggest avoiding it as a regular occurance. Once in a while should be ok.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Touch-Free Wash bad for finish?

Originally posted by żGotJazz?

Thanks!

Ha, I thought you have the good weather out there all the time, you should be able to use hand wash everyday...

Those so-called touch-free wash always leaves some swirl effect into my car (if your color is light, it could be fine). For the wheel damage, you have to check their rails. If shops have the high rails without any cushions, I won't do the car wash there.

For the bug sticked in front of your engine hood/front bumper, I usually let water run through it for a few minutes, then wipe them out...

(Do you think those bugs would be sucked into our CAI? Anyone knows? )
Old 03-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Instructor

I was told by a detailer that automatic car washes are not great for the paint of a car. If it is a non touchless then the cloth that is used as the car passes by can have dirt on them that can cause scratches in the clear coat.

If it is a touchless wash like you see at a gas station then he said they are not great either as the soaps and detergents they use in order to help remove the dirt/debris is not great for the paint.

Don't think it would hurt every once in a while, especially during the winter.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Racer

I keep trying to convince people that all car washes are really bad for your paint, and that includes the so-called "toucheless" washes.

1. The soap is REALLY harsh to get your car clean in one fast pass. It strips your polish and can dull your paint.

2. The high pressure can damage your rubber seals around doors and windows,

3. The high pressure acts like a sandblaster, blasting YOUR dirt into your paint before it washes off.

My stupid neighbors use their pressure washer on their shiny new Accord - you can see the results here. You can actually see each pass of the wand.

JUST DON'T DO IT!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Racer

I dont see how the laser wash types of wash would be so bad. if you use the higher option wash types there are more steps and more rinses. but in the good weather you should wash by hand if possible.