Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Steer in Type S-Dealer says there is none

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/AcuraTL-S/

Here is just one article that addresses the existing Torque Steer with the 2007 TL Type S.

NOTE the paragraph where the author addresses Manual vs Automatic.

If you have not driven the 2007 TL Type S AUTOMATIC, then go test drive one without a salesman in the car. There is a BOATLOAD of torque steer.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/AcuraTL-S/

Here is just one article that addresses the existing Torque Steer with the 2007 TL Type S.

NOTE the paragraph where the author addresses Manual vs Automatic.

If you have not driven the 2007 TL Type S AUTOMATIC, then go test drive one without a salesman in the car. There is a BOATLOAD of torque steer.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Ok Guys... here's what I did last night...

I wanted to see how much torque steer there really was. I would try accelerating WIDE OPEN in each gear to see how bad it tried to yank the wheel out of my hand. All test done with VSA disabled

The ONLY gear that has torque steer, is 1st gear... period.

I can start from a rolling start at 48mph, then floor it. This downshifts to 2nd gear, right in the peak torque as the V-Tech is kicking in. I can do this with NO HANDS, including before the WOT punch, and the car stays straight as an arrow... NO steering input whatsoever, even during the downshift, and pull.

From a dead stop, when you punch it, you CAN'T do the "no-hander" as it wants to drift slightly to the right. I wanted to know just how much steering input it would take to keep it straight.

You know what kept it perfectly straight without effort? A single finger at the 12 O'Clock position, on the front face. Not wrapped around the wheel, even. I simply held my index finger on the wheel, and could do WOT from a stop, keep it straight WITHOUT any effort....

So, if you call that "Boat Loads" of torque steer, then what's a little bit feel like???

I will take some video's tomorrow with the test on video, if you guys are still skeptics...
Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Converted,

In an earlier posting of mine I mentioned that my wife learned what Torque Steer is when she was going 60 mph down the highway and she passed another vehicle. She was not in First gear during this maneuver. The automatic was more than likely in 4th gear.

I now, however, understand why you can't feel the "boatload" of Torque Steer. Your understanding of Torque Steer is not quite on the money and therefore your test is flawed or invalid.

Without a Physics lesson I'll give it my best shot. The car wants to go straight so if you test it with the wheels going straight it will go straight and there is not a "boatload" of torque steer. More than likely, none. If the wheel is turned and you accelerate, the steering wheel will turn and try to make the car go straight ahead which is caused from the torque. From this you will feel what is referred to as Torque Steer. And in the Acura 2007 TL Type S Automatic this is a boatload.

For your New test, while driving your 2007 TL Type S Automatic down the road, introduce a slight turn with the steering wheel and then accelerate or floor it. (Simulate that you are passing a car.) Or for that matter go pass a car and feel the boatloads of Torque Steer that the 2007 TL Type S exhibits.

This same principle is what happens on a motorcycle when you turn. If you want to make a left turn, apply forward pressure on the left hand grip causing the wheel to go right and resulting in a left turn.

Now through all of this please, please, remember that I am a Kansas Farmboy and this could all be a bunch of B.S.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by MobyDickDog
Converted,

In an earlier posting of mine I mentioned that my wife learned what Torque Steer is when she was going 60 mph down the highway and she passed another vehicle. She was not in First gear during this maneuver. The automatic was more than likely in 4th gear.

I now, however, understand why you can't feel the "boatload" of Torque Steer. Your understanding of Torque Steer is not quite on the money and therefore your test is flawed or invalid.

Without a Physics lesson I'll give it my best shot. The car wants to go straight so if you test it with the wheels going straight it will go straight and there is not a "boatload" of torque steer. More than likely, none. If the wheel is turned and you accelerate, the steering wheel will turn and try to make the car go straight ahead which is caused from the torque. From this you will feel what is referred to as Torque Steer. And in the Acura 2007 TL Type S Automatic this is a boatload.

For your New test, while driving your 2007 TL Type S Automatic down the road, introduce a slight turn with the steering wheel and then accelerate or floor it. (Simulate that you are passing a car.) Or for that matter go pass a car and feel the boatloads of Torque Steer that the 2007 TL Type S exhibits.

This same principle is what happens on a motorcycle when you turn. If you want to make a left turn, apply forward pressure on the left hand grip causing the wheel to go right and resulting in a left turn.

Now through all of this please, please, remember that I am a Kansas Farmboy and this could all be a bunch of B.S.
I know what torque steer is, and your explaination is also correct.

Most people that complain, think that the car tries to "jerk" the wheel out of your hands, and you have to hold on tight! This is not the case.

Yes, the car is more sensitive to steering inputs while under WOT, but it doesn't require THAT much effort to keep the car going where you want it to. Also, the LSD is an important roll, because that will effect torque steer tremendously as well. If the car favors one side more than another, in a traditional open diff. set-up, then the torque steer is quite noticable. However, with the LSD, the TL-S does a damn good job of distributing the power. On the occasional bumpy road, you'll notice torque steer much more, because the LSD is having to work a little harder decided which wheels needs the power. Overall, the steering input is very "light" for straight line. As you said, in turns you will need to hold on, but the car is in NO WAY trying to make the wheels go where you don't want them to.

Try driving a new Mitsubishi Eclipse... THEN you'll know what a "boat load" feels like... lol

The Acura engineers did a pretty damn good job, at least in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike03a3
If that's the case, I'd hate to drive your '05. My '07 TL-S 6MT has buckets of torque steer. It's tolerable if you are going in a straight line, but it can be a handful under the wrong combination of power and steering inputs.
Keep in mind, my car isn't stock. Once you have wide tires plus heavier rims, you'll have more tq steer.

If you compare the TL with RWD cars or low HP FWD, yeah, you'll feel that you have "buckets" of tq steer.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by ayethetiense
The most important thing to remember is that a car salesman knows less about the car they are selling then a blind man taking his driving test.
Please.. I've dealt with many salesmen (and women) and some were downright ignorant. Acura, BMW and Lexus sales reps overall were quite knowledgeable.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
There is one other thing that reduces torque steer dramtically.

Use two equal length driveshafts with no intermediate drive shaft (right side of TL has two driveshafts).

Equal length driveshafts do alot to minimize the effects of torque differential since the rotational torsion is equalized since both shafts are equal. The only practical way to achieve this is to have a longituadal placed engine and transaxle.

If you ever looked at driveshafts for transverse engine FWD cars, notice how the longer shaft is much thicker than the shorter shaft. This is to attempt to equalize the rotational torsion. It does not eliminate torque steer since the longer shaft is heavier causing a difference in rotational inertia. So the 2G and 3G TL's having equal lenght driveshafts but also a right-side intermediate shaft will still have some torque steer.

Unfortunately most FWD cars use the transverse engine/tranaxle approach since it makes for easier packaging. Audi and a few others have it, the Acura 2G Legend and the 1G TL also used it for the V6 engine. I've driven 2G Legend's and they have literally almost no torque steer.

Its very minimal in my '97 TL. It is only noticeable on broken or very uneven pavement, but it is very minor.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
No more Infinitis for me

For what it's worth, I was (pleasantly) surprised to notice this morning the following...

I was at a red light, I was playing around with CDs or something, and looked up and saw the light had just turned green and the car in front of me had started to move.

I stepped on the gas just as I was dropping my toys and going for the wheel, and there was zero pull.

Granted, I did not "gun it", but I did take of from a stop rather quickly and noticed no torque steer at all.