3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it too much to ask dealer service departments not to scratch anywhere in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it too much to ask dealer service departments not to scratch anywhere in my car?

A while ago, I posted this thread re: a gap between the driver side seat bottom and the adjacent plastic molding/support. My dealer nicely repaired the problem by replacing the bottom plastic cover (apparently the bars supporting the seat broke off) and the sagging sensation on the right side of seat is completely gone.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ghlight=novice

Now, when I got home, I found 7 scratches (made by sharp metal tools) around the plastic cover on the door side frame and the bottom plastic cover that goes half way up to where the seat belt is located. I hate to bug these nice service people (desk people) as they are always courteous and helpful, but I don't want to see those scratches everytime I get into my car.

If I ask for repacement parts for the scratch job this idiotic mechanic did, do they have to pay for them out of their own pocket or is this under the warranty work (i.e., Acura pays for it). It is frustrating for me as I get more damages done to my car everytime I take my car in for repairs, such as swapping old EL42 tires (in which case, they scratched my rims about 30 times) and putting black finger prints on the seats which by the way it is impossible to completely remove (tried Lexol, Woolite, you name it). Arrrrgggg.

Sorry, I had to vent!
Old 06-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
That's my worst nightmare!

Originally Posted by Novice
Now, when I got home, I found 7 scratches (made by sharp metal tools) around the plastic cover on the door side frame and the bottom plastic cover that goes half way up to where the seat belt is located. I hate to bug these nice service people (desk people) as they are always courteous and helpful, but I don't want to see those scratches everytime I get into my car.
They are obligated to return the car to you in the same condition or better than when you left it. The first rule of a doctor and (should be) a service dept: First: Do no harm.

If I ask for repacement parts for the scratch job this idiotic mechanic did, do they have to pay for them out of their own pocket or is this under the warranty work (i.e., Acura pays for it). It is frustrating for me as I get more damages done to my car everytime I take my car in for repairs, such as swapping old EL42 tires (in which case, they scratched my rims about 30 times) and putting black finger prints on the seats which by the way it is impossible to completely remove (tried Lexol, Woolite, you name it). Arrrrgggg.
No, the mechanic doesn't have to pay for it out of his own pocket. It was probably the car jockey anyway.

Try ArmorAll Oxi-magic on your black fingerprints. It worked on mine. Good luck.

Regards,
XP
Old 06-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Xpditor:

Thanks. Is Oxi-Magic safe on our leather seats? Lexol Cleaner is actually the worst thing I've ever used as it doesn't do anything.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
As long as you could approve it's damaged while your car is in the dealership repair shop, they should be responsible for the fix.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

No...

Xpditor:

Thanks. Is Oxi-Magic safe on our leather seats? Lexol Cleaner is actually the worst thing I've ever used as it doesn't do anything.
No, Novice...

It is not recommended on leather, wood, instrument panels or anything you wouldn't use water on.

For leather, I would use saddle soap or a Woolite solution. If you visit one of the detailing websites, they can provide good leather cleaners specially made for that. I haven't needed one yet as my car is still new (600 miles). Try www.autopia.org.

I use Zaino "Leather In A Bottle" to treat the leather. It keeps it soft, pliable, and resistant to stains. And it smells soooo good. It smells like walking into a saddle shop. Very musky and masculine. Probably not good if you're a woman.

Now, remember, the whole seat is not leather. Just the parts that touch your skin if you were nude (I'm not recommending that). The sides and the backs are vinyl that looks just like the leather. You can use the Oxi-magic on that.

XP
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, XP! This is the last time I bought a car with parchment interior. I really wanted one with ebony interior, but didn't want to wait too long not to mention I only paid $32800 for the nav model.

I just think that there's got to be a better cleaner that works better.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd walk a mile for a camel....

Thanks, XP! This is the last time I bought a car with parchment interior. I really wanted one with ebony interior, but didn't want to wait too long not to mention I only paid $32800 for the nav model.

I just think that there's got to be a better cleaner that works better.
I got camel. I like a light interior in the sub-tropics. I also wanted the plood interior. I think it looks nice.

Camel is a little less maintenance than Parchment- but not much. I have a minor fit every time a passenger drags his shoe across the sill and puts a dark sfuff mark on the camel part of the sill. They haven't scratched the aluminum yet. Oxi-magic works good on that plastic sill part <crossing self feverishly>.

XP
Old 06-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Btw!

...not to mention I only paid $32800 for the nav model.
I forgot to mention: You negotiated a terrific deal on your car. I thought I was a good wheeler-dealer but you beat me by $100. You should be proud!

XP
Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow! Given that you are in FL, you also got a terrific deal!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very often I get my cars back with oil-fingerprints around the ignition, scuffs on the door panel from entry/exit. But what should I expect, grease monkeys in Georgia, and dealerships who don't give a SHIP. Did they get paid ?? yes. So do they care ?? no.

I've had oil spilled on the block from an oil change that smoked off during use and stank till it finished burning. Complimentary wash jobs that left it looking worse than when it went in.

At this point I just give up on them.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my TL in to get a new stereo unit, because there was a smudge or scratch on the inside of the face from the factory. When I got it back, there were a couple of serious scratches on the metal trim next to the stereo on the drivers side, as well as a gouge in the leather next to the metal trim. I hadn't made it off when I discovered it, and I went right back in, and they looked at it and took care of it. Now, it would have been hard for them to claim innocence, since the car was less than a month old, but I worry about how they'll handle it when it's a couple of years old... They could claim that it was there much easier when it's an older car.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

High expectations yield high results

Originally Posted by Sherlock
At this point I just give up on them.
Sherlock: Please don't give up. Demand quality in parts and service. The reason that they do it is that no one objects to it to the degree that makes them uncomfortable.

When I bought my TL, the dealer himself sent me his business card with his home phone number on it. I will work my way up the ladder if I have a problem. But, if needed, I will call the dealer at home. They called me at home all the time to sell me the car!

I don't give up and they know it. Therefore, for me anyway, they try and get it right the first time. When they do goof up, I am convinced it is an oversight because they act so embarrassed if I point out a greasy fingerprint or scuff mark. THey clean it immediately.

Subsequently, when my car goes in, they will give it to their cleanest most careful guy. Come backs are expensive in time and money.

I encourage you not to settle for anything less than quality, considerate, clean service. We have to retrain these guys that we're not going to settle. It's unacceptable.

XP
Old 06-22-2004, 04:05 PM
What's a TL?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new thing is to always walk around the car with my service advisor and to take a brief peek inside to confirm that everything is ok. I have had my sunglasses stolen, the roof of my car scratched (by the magnetic service cone), and my front bumper left with deep scratchs and paint marks. The dealer has stepped up to fix everything except for the stolen glasses....they told me that I shouldn't leave stuff in the car that could get stolen. Maybe if I remove the complete interior next time I drop it off, then I can be assured that they won't take anything.