Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL's handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Elegance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL's handling

Is the TL's handling really that bad? please share your thoughts and experiences please.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
here are my thoughts in just a few words.

stock TL = ok, but scary if you are use to the aspec suspension and brakes. i got a stock loaner a few weeks ago and i really appreciate having the aspec now. the thicker steering wheel on the aspec also made handling the car a lot easier.

aspec TL = very very nice. at least as far as fwd vehicles go. it really hugs the road and the upgraded brakes makes those sudden stops alot less scary. i cant say this enough, i love my car.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if you have a stock one drop it and add a rear sway bar

I've got a type s, stock suspension added the rear sway bar, it makes the back stiffer if you want to gas it through a curve...

aside from this, stock height you will never be able to handle tight turns
Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

No, in fact the new Type-S outhandles MANY sport luxury cars in it's class... in fact, almost all of them.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by lavo
Is the TL's handling really that bad? please share your thoughts and experiences please.
I have owned an 04, 06 and 07 TL and now an 08 TL-S. It all depends on what you are looking for and used to. If you want a car that you drive at the extremes then the Type-S is good. If you want a car that has what I feel is an ideal blend of handling and ride comfort the base TL is awesome. I also find the TL-S to be great, but it defeinely is a bit stiffer than the base car, and unless you are on bad roads all the time it is good. I don;t drive nuts (although I do drive fast) and find I can whip the TL into tunrs well above the posted speed limit without worry. Now true sports enthusiasts will probably say the TL is soft and scary, but again, what are you looking for. I guess if you live at the extremes a 350Z or G37 Coupe are more desirable. I almso switched to a G35 this year, I found the 07 G35 sedan was very good, actually quiet inside than the TL or TL-S, and acceleraton and handling were awesome, but in the end I like the better balance of the TL and TL-S. I do suspect I will jumo to a G35 Sedan on 09. Also keep in mind that I am 46 and follow the more typical desires of someone my age, seeing you are 20 and may want something very sporty I would say the TL-S would be great.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Elegance

problem is, i cant afford a TL type S

I was planning on going with an 05-06 base (like the looks better than the 07 base tl anyway)

Also going with the manual, planning on the Aspec kit, Im not big into lowering the car much but i do want the best handling possible, should i go Aspec or should i go with eibach or tein springs?

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. When my TL was in stock form it was scary to drive. It felt unsafe at high speed and very shaky at quick lane changes and turns. I added the A-Spec suspension among other things and it changed the car completely.

If you drive slightly spirited the base TL will not do. If you care for a more cushioned ride with a more luxurious floatly feel then you suck.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Man, these people are on crack. The base stock TL handles very well. Its not a race car by any means, but it doesnt have any of the scary body roll american sedans do in normal driving. If you're going to do some canyon carving, etc you might look into the aspec suspension, but for the vast majority of folks the TL is just fine. FWIW I done track days, auto-x, ice racing, etc so I not "out of the loop" when it comes to knowing how a car should handle.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
No, it's one of the best handling FWD cars, and probably the best FWD luxo-sport, in 6M form. You'll find it rated behind the BMW 3-series and the G35 and ahead of everything else in the luxo-sport class in most car magazine comparisons.
The 5A is a little more biased towards more suspension compliance- smaller rear anti-sway bar and lower recommended front tire psi, with no limited slip.

As I understand it, the 07-08 base-suspension TLs were softened up a little compared to the 04-06 TLs, while the TL-S was given the stiffer suspension set-up.

My TL is rock steady and planted up to 100 mph or so (haven't had it past that); it has never been been spooky, nervous or edgy at any speed in any lane changes, even just before (predictably) sliding. I run slightly higher tire psi on my stock TL too, but thought the car handled darn well on the twisties on Sunset Blvd., Mulholland Highway and a couple of high-speed canyon roads in a few hot runs there-- more planted and much less nervous than my stock Integra, FWIW. I haven't done track days since my SCCA membership lapsed over ten years ago, though.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Will Y.
No, it's one of the best handling FWD cars, and probably the best FWD luxo-sport, in 6M form. You'll find it rated behind the BMW 3-series and the G35 and ahead of everything else in the luxo-sport class in most car magazine comparisons.
The 5A is a little more biased towards more suspension compliance- smaller rear anti-sway bar and lower recommended front tire psi, with no limited slip.

As I understand it, the 07-08 base-suspension TLs were softened up a little compared to the 04-06 TLs, while the TL-S was given the stiffer suspension set-up.

My TL is rock steady and planted up to 100 mph or so (haven't had it past that); it has never been been spooky, nervous or edgy at any speed in any lane changes, even just before (predictably) sliding. I run slightly higher tire psi on my stock TL too, but thought the car handled darn well on the twisties on Sunset Blvd., Mulholland Highway and a couple of high-speed canyon roads in a few hot runs there-- more planted and much less nervous than my stock Integra, FWIW. I haven't done track days since my SCCA membership lapsed over ten years ago, though.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Ok, lets get this out of the way right now:

It does not handle as well as a 199x Camaro LS1 - those GM F-Bodies were the schitz. It also is no comparison to cars that go A LOT faster and cost A LOT more and are RWD.

But in it's class ($30k - $45k Sedan) it's about as good as it gets - especially the Type S. In the FWD portion of that same category, I doubt the is a single car any better.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

The TLS is a very good handling car, when I first got it, it was a little sluggish...but after taking out the boat anchor...spare tire...AEM CAI, and a UR underdrive pulley and lowering... the car's performance is very acceptable..maybe even outhandles the TSX..thanks to weight reduction..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
ok put some coilovers on that bad boy... stiff, and leave it stock height well actually it will be .5 inches lower... but yeah go with a tein setup and you will have less body roll.... our cars have heavy understeer (this is the scared feeling), if you get stiffer suspension with either progress or comptech rear sway bar you will have way better responding car...

I won't lie after just adding the rear sway bar my car got extremely cute.... the first thing I did was go out and shift from lane to lane to see how the back would react and I drove it like if I didn't have the sway bar in... lets just say I was able to take a curve at 100mph that I previously almost shit my pants doing 70
Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro

The TL is a mid-level sporty car with nice luxury feel features . If you want a true sports car with great handling, get the NSX, and if you want a luxury cruiser, get the Lexus LS. Don't expect to get top level sportiness and luxury when you spend only $35k. Having said that, the TL is a lot of car for the money, and is near if not at the top of its class.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by theklassic
Yes. When my TL was in stock form it was scary to drive. It felt unsafe at high speed and very shaky at quick lane changes and turns. I added the A-Spec suspension among other things and it changed the car completely.

If you drive slightly spirited the base TL will not do. If you care for a more cushioned ride with a more luxurious floatly feel then you suck.
Wondering what you considered high speed, I did 90+ for an hour straight at times with ease, my 04 and 06 TL were smooth and stable, very much planted on the road, as far as quick lane changes, well I never did any radical quick changes at better than say 65, but I always felt in contorl of my TL.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
Wondering what you considered high speed, I did 90+ for an hour straight at times with ease, my 04 and 06 TL were smooth and stable, very much planted on the road, as far as quick lane changes, well I never did any radical quick changes at better than say 65, but I always felt in contorl of my TL.
The problem with me is the more I get accustomed to my cars the harder I push it. I tend to do things in my TL you usually don't do in this type of car. After trying the A-Spec suspension I realized what I was missing. But I should note, even at 80+ I didn't like the car when cruising around the beltway. It rocked too much and dipped back and forth over bumps and braking.

For me personally, the TL with the stock suspension wasn't cutting it with or without hard driving. When I finally plopped in the the A-Spec it became exactly the car I wanted.

My friend owns the same year TL actually (sans suspension and RSB) and from time to time I take his car out and I'm really amazed at the difference.

I guess everyone's taste in suspension flavor will be different. But in retrospect, and in my opinion, I can honestly say that the TL the OP is considering isn't as great a handling car as it could be (for me). Just my flavor preference is all.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Acuras Only in

I always consider TL/TL-S as good handling cars ... esp. here in Nor Cal ... best bang for the buck sort of satisfaction ....

Granted it's not a M3 or M5 cuz it's in another price range, but I'm good with this one ..
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the 05 bone stock. Never felt unsafe. I think it's a great highway cruiser, I avg at least +80mile/hr on big TX highways. 495 or 95 in the DC area are like side roads comparatively speaking. I do however do not push the car to it's limits so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Bottom line is if you're inclined towards "spirited" driving then I guess Aspec suspension, RSB, etc.. are mods you should consider if your thinking of buying a 04-06 TL (sans +07TLS).
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
NO, it's not scary. It's not a 82 Tercel. The stock suspension on the 3G is just fine. Now that being said, I wanted a stiffer suspension. Aspec suspension and RSB for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
I have a 2006 5AT with a comptech swaybar added and I think the suspension is great! I take my car on some pretty intense roads on occasion and it does fine and stays with some very fast traffic. Like others have said earlier, the TL is not a sports car and is a sports sedan so some passenger comfort is part of its mission. Get the TL-S is you want less comfort, but a good compromise is the base TL with a swaybar. That's $100 and maybe an hour of your time installing.

I had a lowered 92 Maxima with Tokiko shocks, springs, and Suspension Techniques swaybars and I have to say this TL handles every bit as good. In addition, hitting a standard speedbump is no problem with the TL and this was big issue with the Maxima with the tuned suspension. The other problem I had with the Max was the rear swaybar tearing out the bolt connectors- this was a beafy bar that took it out on the body structure instead of the bar itself.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Uses turn signals in my

It is great! When I drive my brothers TL, it is so much fun to go around corners and making sharp turns. The car feels comfortable, secure and very stable when pushing the limits. It is way better than my CL was with the stock suspension and still slightly better than it is now. Not sure if it's his summer tires or what, but I love it.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Is the TL's handling really that bad? .
Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ggesq
I'm with stupid
Old 09-08-2007, 01:39 PM
B16 Swapped TL

Its fine for what it is. Its not a sports car.... just remember that.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been impressed with the handling of the TL 04. Today I pushed the limits and it handled well. There is a off ramp which I used to take once a week in my sc 96 civic (Takico 5 way adjustable shocks, and eibach pro spring + more) at 55 mph (posted speed 20 mph, yellow sign). I took it today, for the first time in this car, at 50 and had to brake down to 45 fast.

As other posters have said it is an excellent sports luxury car. But it is far from a sports car if you test it. I have had this car since May 04 and have never really been scared.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor

What do you exactly mean by "scary"? Flipping the car over when you corner in the mountains?

The TL is definitely not a RWD sports car. You just can't compare it to 335, RX8, etc, but it definitely out-handles many cars of the similar size.

FYI, I have a 07 non type-s with stock suspension -- which is supposed to have a "soft" suspension -- and I can corner a suggested 30 road at slightly over 80 (in km/h). I don't know if that is saying much, but many cars I've driven don't even come close to that.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by theklassic
I guess everyone's taste in suspension flavor will be different. But in retrospect, and in my opinion, I can honestly say that the TL the OP is considering isn't as great a handling car as it could be (for me). Just my flavor preference is all.

i dont exactly get your last paragraph ?? are you saying its not good enough even with the aspec but your saying the aspec suspension was good??
Old 09-08-2007, 02:19 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

I have a '05 6 MT with 18"Nitto's and since my purchase of these babies I can say that the road sticks like glue.....as far as the suspension....I don't see any need to get stiffer coils or springs, but then again I'm not racing anyone...handling I give it a 9 out of 10 scale....
Old 09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Garage Park / Ikon

haha, after reading the thread, i think the TL's handle is horrible.. but its good for its size and the weight of the car.. i havent driven any other cars in its class though.. the only reference of comparability i have is with my prelude.. and the prelude handles like a monster.

but over all im sure the TL's handling is good.. otherwise i wouldnt have bought the car :P
Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by geekybiker
Man, these people are on crack. The base stock TL handles very well. Its not a race car by any means, but it doesnt have any of the scary body roll american sedans do in normal driving. If you're going to do some canyon carving, etc you might look into the aspec suspension, but for the vast majority of folks the TL is just fine. FWIW I done track days, auto-x, ice racing, etc so I not "out of the loop" when it comes to knowing how a car should handle.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

My fellow TL or TL-S erz,

Lets just be honest. RWD or AWD is better for obvious reasons. But as far as does the TL-S handle bad? Absolutly not just not as well as a RWD does. I have a 07 TL-S and trust me when i tell you i love my car. I find myself staring at it, just admiring the cars design. In the end i think it handles very well and is one of few cars out there that offer this much with a very good price. TL-S is one very underpriced car. And if you dont have one go get one, but go test drive something else first so you get what i mean.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Now on this Specific Test the TL-S did not get first place, considering the fact that its RWD and less horsepower than the G35 Sedan and the IS 350. But it came very close and if you read on , I believe the proffessionals at Road and Track commented that the TL-S had the best handling and the smoothest ride.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4460
Old 09-08-2007, 10:02 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Torque steer is present when mashing the throttle pedal coming out of turns, but it’s so slight, it’s hardly an issue. Turn-in response is crisp and body roll is minimal. Credit here goes to the Acura’s rigid body, quick steering response, tuned suspension system — upper and lower A-arms up front and a multilink setup at the rear — and a helical gear-type limited-slip diff that’s standard fare on 6-speed manual transmission models. Around the 200-ft. skidpad, the Type-S outperforms many rear-drive cars, including the two here, posting 0.91g. It ran through the slalom at 66.0 mph, giving it 1st-place honors.

What’s impressive about the TL Type-S is that it also has a smooth ride quality. We all agreed that for a cross-country trip, the TL would be our choice. And at $38,795 for a fully-loaded version, the Type-S is an attractive choice no matter what the venue.

ROAD AND TRACK MAGAZINE

TL-S all the way man..................im 6"3 you swear im going to fit into the G35 or the IS 350. Amoung other things
Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I own an 06 TL auto stock with only a comptech swaybar. I would like a little better handling. I really don't want to drop it with the a-spec. I was thinking about installing the TL-S suspension. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Adjust tire air PSI for improved handling...

Originally Posted by maxAmillion
I own an 06 TL auto stock with only a comptech swaybar. I would like a little better handling.
A cheap & easy handling adjustment is adding air to the tires, and increasing the front-to-rear psi difference to decrease understeer. Try that if you haven't done it already, before replacing suspension components.

I'm running 36F/32R -- measured COLD-- right now (37F/34R seems to work best for my tastes, though), compared to the 32F/32R recommendation for my 5AT. Your '06 recommended psi is 33/32, IIRC. Stay below 40 psi; otherwise, experimentation may be helpful.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 PM
'05 TL 6MT Anth. w/Navi

I have the TL Dynamic with the upgraded suspension and I think it's great. But people seem to complain about the base model. I can't say anything about that, but if you get a type-S or A-spec you should have no complaints.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

All you need is some sticky high class tires and your set
Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

It all depends on the uses of the driver. Some live arounf curvy roads with little bumps, therefore could use a bit more stiffness. Some are not as enthusiastic while driving, and find the stock suspension perfect for their needs. There's a reason Tein is out there.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
06 RBP non navi

Old 09-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 213 Likes on 130 Posts
Uhh, I didnt think the handling was all that bad, but its much better with some Koni's and H&R's

Quick Reply: TL's handling