3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL wrecked again, this time by a garbage truck.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
TL wrecked again, this time by a garbage truck.

This car is cursed, the NBP curse. I never had an incident in my first 14 years of driving a 600 hp no ABS, no traction control, non-handling car yet this is number 4 since I bought the TL.

I'm driving on my way to work, engine still warming up so I'm driving super easy in a residential neighborhood, actually going below the speed limit. There's a garbage truck on the right side that's stationary and I go past him. Then out of the corner of my eye I caught movement toward me so without looking I swerved as far to the left as I could without hitting oncoming traffic and floored it (I warm the car up in manual 3rd gear and since I was only going 20mph, there really wasn't any acceleration). Didn't matter though because this guy swung the front bumper of the truck into my car anyway. Looking back on it, he didn't just come into my lane a little to move forward, he swung way out there becaus there was a parked car in front of him. I had nearly cleared the truck already, he had to have floored it and swung the wheel hard in order to get me. The bumper just gutted the side of the car. The rear door, quarter panel, rocker panels, bumper, etc are thrashed. At least I bent his bumper parallel to the truck.

So I get out of the car and honestly I'm so sick of people hitting my car I was very pissed and pretty aggressive. The driver was backing up from me and people were watching. The driver was literally shaking as he handed me his insurance card so after I calmed down I felt guilty which was a mistake. When the owner showed up on scene, both him and the driver admitted fault and he told me to get an estimate and he would cut a check. He didn't want to go through the insurance. So feeling gulity, I took him at his word, didn't file a police report, and didn't file an insurance claim.

I later got a call from the owner saying he thought it was a 50/50 accident and I should pay half. I was like WTF, worst case scenario I file a claim and pay the deductable until they reimburse me. I guess he didn't think it was going to be $5,700. So due to my stupidity, it's my word against theirs, luckily the way the car is damaged, it's obvious what happened.

Another unfortunate thing is some 60 year old lady who was coming head on with me stopped and gave her number to both of us as a witness. She stated that she didn't actually see the wreck but she heard it and she saw me driving too fast. Now I've got to defend myself against some nobody who knows nothing about judging speed who was coming head on even though I was going under the speed limit.

It sucks though, I was going to an auto-x this weekend to get ready for Willow Springs. The car is drivable but it has tons of wind and road noise and the fender rubs on the tire with every left turn I make. It feels like an old POS. It also has more bodyroll so I'm wondering what else is screwed up.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Really sorry to hear about this. That's a bad situation. I don't have experience with working out an accident, involving another party, without going through insurance but hopefully somebody that's gone through something similar can chime in, maybe offer some options. That's such a dick move to agree to pay the damages and then call back to claim a 50/50 split. I have to think he made some calls afterwards. The lady's claim of excessive speed is just the spit in your face after the kick in the nuts. Really hope you're able to get this resolved in your favor.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
dammn that sucks a lot man... i got in a accident recently also not my fault.. the estimate was only $2100ish so not as bad as yours.. but i feel your pain man.. hope everything works out for you bud..

LOL on the grandma part....
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks... grandma should just stay out of it... you can just claim it was her fault!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced

I got hit 3 times in 1 year.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
damn that really blows. my father got screwed by not calling the cops once and ever since then he (and i) stand by the fact that you should always call the police to document the accident. this way if you decide to settle outside of insurance and later the other guy decides to blame you, you have proof of what happened. worst case, you just go through insurance with the police report. sorry again man.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:51 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Another unfortunate thing is some 60 year old lady who was coming head on with me stopped and gave her number to both of us as a witness. She stated that she didn't actually see the wreck but she heard it and she saw me driving too fast. Now I've got to defend myself against some nobody who knows nothing about judging speed who was coming head on even though I was going under the speed limit.
Wait . . . what?! She didn't see what had happened but she saw you driving fast? She's contradicting herself.

Good luck with getting all of that taken care of.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wtf...u need another TL!!!...that thing is cursed!!!

-Jason
Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Advanced

u said there were some witnesses at the scene watching.. go back to the scene and see if anyone is willing to give a statement for you to your insurance company (btw, I am an insurance adjuster/rep).. maybe they overheard the owner or the driver admitting fault.. it's worth a shot. but yeah, police reports are big; i hear people change their stories all the time.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Teknolad
u said there were some witnesses at the scene watching.. go back to the scene and see if anyone is willing to give a statement for you to your insurance company (btw, I am an insurance adjuster/rep).. maybe they overheard the owner or the driver admitting fault.. it's worth a shot. but yeah, police reports are big; i hear people change their stories all the time.
You're right and I deserve what's happening because I know better than to take someone's word. I was just feeling guilty for almost punching the guy.

My insurance company has been awesome and easy to deal with through all of my trouble. Once they see the way the car was hit, I'm pretty sure they will side with me. The only way I could make that kind of damage in the same manner would be to pull the e-brake and slide the rear of the car into the truck's bumper.

Thanks for all the kind words guys!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
wtf...u need another TL!!!...that thing is cursed!!!

-Jason
Well...... if i had a 4th order bandpass box ported through the armrest I may have been taking the long way to work to have more listening time. So it's all your fault!

You guys going to Willow Springs any time soon? I'm thinking about driving over to spectate before I embarass myself for the first time.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Ouch. Post pics so we can share your pain.

If it's not my fault, I'll call the cops for an accident report. Those few times you feel kind of bad about it - the other driver is well meaning, nice, didn't mean to hit you, etc - but you've got to get it on the record at the scene. Next call: Insurance company.

It's what you've got to do to protect yourself.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Ouch. Post pics so we can share your pain.

If it's not my fault, I'll call the cops for an accident report. Those few times you feel kind of bad about it - the other driver is well meaning, nice, didn't mean to hit you, etc - but you've got to get it on the record at the scene. Next call: Insurance company.

It's what you've got to do to protect yourself.
The claim has been filed and the Geico guy told me not to be too hard on myself because police reports are mostly for getting info but even with a cop on scene it usually comes down to pointing fingers. Maybe he was just trying to get me to feel better.

I was retarded for not filing a report. I even had the cops take a report when my tire fell off after the last bodyshop incident just in case. I'm overly careful 99% of the time but it's that 1% that gets you. Lesson learned.

I'll get pics tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I feel your pain. After every close call (had one this morning), I feel that if I did get hit, I'd get out and release all my road frustrations on that one person. I was recently rear ended (not in my TL) and I was the calm one. My wife gave that guy a small piece of her mind (maybe it was because it was her car?!?). We both feel for you and are glad that you didn't get hurt.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to be honest, my TL is also cursed.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Dude I always have to park in parking lots 1 mile away at my school.
People just LOVE to hit my doors. I got two mini dings from people being frigin dumb.
Or the time my cousin was driving his stationwagon and since he drives a pretty big car, too much for him to handle, he frigin tapped my back bumper with his. I was pissed. I had a huge scuff mark. But I used tons of touch up paint and made it perfect and then waxed over it, looked great again. Haha.
Or how about the time I was having fun with this kid in a Volkswagon and he kicks up a nice big rock to make a nice mini chip on my paint on the front left fender. Also making me do more touchup paint work. Haha believe me TL's make you WORK for them to look good..

Though I am sorry for your loss.. My little minor incidents are nothing compared to what had happened to yours..

Last edited by RJNN TL; 03-20-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Stupid mistake.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 AM
HOME SWEET HOME....

trade tht badboy in and get a new one, and when u get the new one get it blessed... maybe that'll work...

g/l with everything though
Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 AM
B A N N E D

hey i hate cars, NEVER TRUST ANYONE

follow me in goin by this and you will never ever get fucked over like this again

honestly if a 16 year old hit me in their dads car and beg'd me to not file and call da police i'd laugh at em and tell say goodbye to there permit/license

good luck with the repairs man whats your deb?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
It doesnt matter if there is a police report or not. If that guy wants to play games like that, just tell him that you'll go through the insurance. The insurance company will go to the scene look at the damage on your car, his car and pretty much recreate the accident and assess fault based on percentages. He's clearly going to lose that case, so see what he says to that and maybe that will rejog his f'n memory about who's fault it really was.

Glad that you were able to walk out of the whole thing though, and the side curtain airbags didn't deploy huh?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:51 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Man what a shitty situation, I hate when stuff like this happens. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM
My baby's ride...

That sucks. Trust no one in an accident.
Always wait for the police. There is no way the other person is 100% liable in a situation where both cars were moving. More likely than not, you will be paying for 1/2 the damage. I can bet the other driver is going to claim you were speeding, trying to pass a stationary garbage truck and you didn't see his vehicle coming out.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I was in the exact same situation a couple of days ago but with the recycle truck. Good thing he didn't pull out. He knew I was there. Sorry for your misfortune, I hope it all works out in your favor. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by DGP-King
hey i hate cars, NEVER TRUST ANYONE
follow me in goin by this and you will never ever get fucked over like this again
honestly if a 16 year old hit me in their dads car and beg'd me to not file and call da police i'd laugh at em and tell say goodbye to there permit/license

Got to agree on this one, although I might have put in other words, but remember, filing a police report doesn't necessarily mean that the driver will be issued a summons, it’s just that the accident will be on file. At least your insurance company will do the leg work and I'm certain it will work out in your favor, especially with the location of the damage.

A few years ago, some nut passed my wife on the right, actually on the shoulder as 2 lanes merged into one, and caught the TL in the right side front with the left rear of his car. She called the police and they looked over the scene and recorded all the info, no ticket issued. Two days later I receive a letter from his insurance co. stating that it was my wife’s fault as she ran into him while he was on the roadway. Got the police report which stated the debris was found on the edge of the roadway so it was concluded he was on the shoulder. They paid, no problem.

Always call the police.

Too bad you didn't have the GN as you could have been out of harm's way in a millisecond.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Racer

IHC, sorry to hear about your trouble. Don't feel bad. I've had my TL for 1 year and have been rear ended 3 times. The 3rd one happend last week.

This kid was driving his mothers minivan on the Bronx River expressway. Traffic was typical rush our stop and go. Traffic ahead of me stopped, I stopped and about 5sec later the kid comes and rear ends me.

I'm stressed and very angry and the first thing I do is turn my hazards on, take my iphone and take a picture of his license plate. He comes and looks at my car and says he will cover the damages, no problem, come on, its not that bad, I work at an autobody shop, this isn't too much damage etc etc.

I told him, look, I can understand it is your mothers minivan, and I can understand the position you are in, especially since its your fault (100% their fault for rear end) but I am going through insurance. What if you caused damage other than the rear end, will you be covering that? It can get very expensive. He looked at me and asked me if I had any kids, I said, I am married with no kids but what does this have to do with this?

we waited for the cop to come and the officer said if its more than $1000 that it doesnt have to be reported but when he looked at my car, he just went back to his cruiser and filed the report. When he came back, he gave me my information, gave the kid his information and a ticket. Yesterday, I found out the kid called 1-800-USLAWYERS and was trying to sue me and they basically told him he had no case, contacted ME and asked if I wanted to sue... Jesus.

Unless the driver whips out a stack of cash and hands it to me right there, I will be filing a report.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

lol some chinese guy hit me backin out of his driveway lol...he begged me not to go throu insurance so i didnt and he paid no problems...sometimes u get good ppl...soemtimes u get the assholes.......
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If someone wants to leave me the same 25,000 dollar CASH bond the state requires people who dont carry `normal insurance` to post in a special dmv account---
then we can leave the insurance out of it and I will return whats left of the 25 after my car is fixed and medical bills paid
Otherwise give me your info, I get estimates- you pay me in full, then we can keep it between us
A reported accident -insurance repair- goes on the carfax report for the vehicle

In Ca. the cops wont even show up unless its a an injury accident!

You make a report online or at the station on paper and call your insurance
In the reports note the owner first offered to pay- then the 50/50 bs-

Send your insurance real pics of your car-(dont email that stuff- you want a real printed photo) and pics of it before the crash to show how nice it was
Go back to scene and get pics of lanes and situation, get measurements if you can- pic of speed limit sign..your written statement of how it happened,,,make an overhead view diagram to go with the pics,,thats your part of the deal help your insurance collect

A truck parked on the edge of the road- or any vehicle- has to signal- be sure its `clear and safe`- yielding!! to any traffic already ON the roadway and moving, then moving carefully into traffic

The business owner may be covering illegal employee
Did the driver have a valid license with approriate class rating for the truck
Was the insurance card current

Bummer about track day,,, but loaner cars or rental cars can make awesome fun
Hertz is renting a special ~Shelby prepared Mustang~ with more brakes and engine than a regular mustang--they know its going to be on the track~

Back in the day, Hertz was renting full shelby cobra motor equipped cars, and sunday night.... after the races.... a stock 350 was dropped in its place.
The rental agents dont look under the hood, and by the time it went in for brakes and oil change for a tech to notice-how do you say who stole the engine hehehehehe
Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
some people act like the insurance payout is coming out of their pocket

You pay every month for them to handle things for you
If its your fault, later- when the current policy expires- they can up the rate but you are not going to take a hit now

I wonder if the OPs car- lowered-fat tires- low prfile tires,, appeared to be going fast- to someone with no distance measuring abilty and even less dynamic radar calculations with the naked eye
Old 03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i feel sorry for you. at the same time i get mad when people dont call the cops. you can't trust people like that; i dont care who it is. i mean you are fortunate if he pays you anything at this point
Old 03-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
as bearcat said, post some pics so we can share the pain. I'm very sorry for the loss of your vehicle, but look at it in a positive way. You can get rid of the unluckiest TL in the world and get yourself into a newer one that isn't cursed. type S
Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I would threaten them with a lawsuit of some sort. that is pure bs.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
NBP curse strikes again..

<-- 4 accidents as well..

2 major 2 minor..

good luck to you!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Geez Matt. I can't believe this happened to you. Really glad no one got hurt, though...

If all else fails, you can sell your GN to The Fast & the Furious so they can put it in the new movie and then buy yourself a nice 3G WDP
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance
as bearcat said, post some pics so we can share the pain. I'm very sorry for the loss of your vehicle, but look at it in a positive way. You can get rid of the unluckiest TL in the world and get yourself into a newer one that isn't cursed. type S
I wish I lost the vehicle. It's going to the shop on Tuesday to be repaired and I'll be on the Gulf Coast on vacation.

A point my father brought up is it may not be the car, I'm probably getting paid back for destroying his cars when I was younger. He always said he couldn't wait until I owned a nice car. Looks like he got his wish.

I wouldn't mind a lower mileage type-s though.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I (don't) whine.

Damn, sorry to hear...at least your dad has a sense of humor about it. I think you learned a lesson - that you can never be TOO careful when it comes to accidents. You just have to put your feelings aside and watch your own ass.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
u were gonna go to the track with the TL on 4/4 with aznbo???

and dam man,s orry to hear that =\
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I wish I lost the vehicle. It's going to the shop on Tuesday to be repaired and I'll be on the Gulf Coast on vacation.

A point my father brought up is it may not be the car, I'm probably getting paid back for destroying his cars when I was younger. He always said he couldn't wait until I owned a nice car. Looks like he got his wish.

I wouldn't mind a lower mileage type-s though.
what did insurance say? Fixing the rear quarter panel area can be real big $$$ when they dig into it because it is part of the unibody. From you estimate, it sounds at least like a 5K job, it may be more if some stuff underneath is damaged.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess you do hate cars
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Sorry to hear.

After reading the posts, it sounds like the insurance company might consider totaling it. If the guy's being a pain, go through the company that owns the truck. He might get something from his company.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Pro

Well...... if i had a 4th order bandpass box ported through the armrest I may have been taking the long way to work to have more listening time. So it's all your fault!

You guys going to Willow Springs any time soon? I'm thinking about driving over to spectate before I embarass myself for the first time.
Taken the long way to work is always fun...just to enjoy your stereo system...hahaha...if you're stuck in traffic...you might as well enjoy your stereo!...you want me to start building your box this week?

well...whenever you want to...we all have track memberships...so we'll typically do a "test" day every now and then...luckily for us..willowsprings is under 20 mins away

-Jason

Quick Reply: TL wrecked again, this time by a garbage truck.