Sponsored by:

TL vs MDX! HUGE DEBATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyl729
Get what u want or else u'll regret later, just like many who regret getting 6MT over 5AT

who are these people?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Why dont u borrow one of your friends TLs and take it to show your father? ... My parents are immigrants and they are very hard headed many times (but i love them very much!!! so dont think im saying anything bad about them, and there is nothing wrong with immigrants). They won't really realize that a car is better until you actually show them the actual car, or prove it with real facts told by a salesman or someone who they believe knows alot about cars. My parents first wanted me to get a 2006 325i base, which i wouldnt mind, but a TL had mannyyyy more options for the same price bc the 325i didnt even have HIDs. So I finally got them to goto the Acura dealer and come in a test drive in the TL with me and they finally realized. To them it was just the myth that a BMW is better than an Acura that was forcing them to get me that. IMO if your gonna get a BMW get it right and not base.

Oh and dont think that im some spoiled little 18 year old who got a brand new TL for my high school graduation present, because I run my own business and work very hard for it.There is not one 18 year old that I know that does what I do. Also congrads for doin so good Zircushio!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your dad is helping you pay for a car, then go get the MDX and continue to invest/save the money you didn't get to spend. Don't know which college you're going to, but most of the kids in the college I went to had SUV's. It's very helpful if you're going to a big school with a great athletic program (tailgating). And it's college, there will be times you're gonna get crazy and miss a bump/hill/curb here and there...and an SUV will help you out with that. You're also gonna haul tons of stuff in your college years, believe me..and a SUV will help too. I drive an 07 TL with Nav now that I'm done with college (car that I've always wanted); but for a college kid, i dunno, having an SUV wouldn't hurt.
Either way, you're driving a nice car be it the MDX or TL. Don't consider yourself as having a problem in having to choose which car to get, some folks don't even get an opportunity like this. Enjoy college..it flies by quick.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:39 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Zircushio[TL/MDX]
haha i'm glad you want me to drive a 4 cyclinder honda accord --- because i have been driving a 1991 accord for almost about a year and a half now, and i'm not an inexperienced driver, the 20k i saved was working in a mechanic shop for 4+ years fixing and driving cars all day long.

about the whole SUV gravity thing...i know, but my dad trusts me that i don't drive like an idiot lol .. he thinks the MDX is more elegant and more "luxary" than the TL ... idk.... i guess i'll just rant and rave about how cool the TL is -- and if not, whats the worse that can happen? i end up buying an MDX?..
First of all, you do deserve to be congratulated for the things that you have accompolished so far at school and at work. Those are both big deals and you should be proud.

Now, 1.5 years sounds like a lot of experience to you but it really isn't. At the risk of gettting flammed, I'll direct you to insurance rates for male drivers under 25. The insurance is higher for a reason. While you don't sound typical for your age you still need more experience under your belt imho. The experience of feeling grown, being away and having friends and girls to impress will be very trying.

Best wishes and I'm sure that you guys will be able to work it out.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's YOUR money, It's going to be YOUR car. YOU'RE going to the one driving it. Therefore it's YOUR decision.

Besides, if you don't like the TL (ya right who are we kidding). You can always sell it and get a MDX without losing much money.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Instructor

I say get what ever you want, it's your money, so don't let them talk you out of getting what you really want. You will really regret it in the future rolling to college in an SUV lol. I just say that the TL is for younger people, hip people, college students. MDX if for grandmothers, granddads, 30+ people, just my opinion and my

i've talked to them on all aspects and created so many arguments....

i'm a college guy now, and its not like i'm going to home depot everyday to get wood and bring it home, i don't know why they want me to get AWD MDX...

i prefer a sportier sedan aka the TL -- it seems as if they think the TL is too expensive for an 04' while the MDX is alot cheaper at the same year =\
Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MR1
First of all, you do deserve to be congratulated for the things that you have accompolished so far at school and at work. Those are both big deals and you should be proud.

Now, 1.5 years sounds like a lot of experience to you but it really isn't. At the risk of gettting flammed, I'll direct you to insurance rates for male drivers under 25. The insurance is higher for a reason. While you don't sound typical for your age you still need more experience under your belt imho. The experience of feeling grown, being away and having friends and girls to impress will be very trying.

Best wishes and I'm sure that you guys will be able to work it out.

you're right, 1.5 years isn't alot of experience per se... but its not the only car i've drove and w/e...i have many years of experience driving and fixing cars, i know more than many people twice my age. yes, it sucks insurance doesn't realize that, but my clean record and good grades bring it down well enough.

as for the whole wish thing thanks alot, ppl on these forums are very nice and maturaly answer questions without flamming me
Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Instructor

FOCK!!!!!! get the car already!!!!!!!!!! J/K
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Advanced

You have a win-win situation - TL or MDX, you won't go wrong. Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Expat TL -S ---- thanks for the hat its just growing up seeing all these kids my age getting 2007 bmws, audis, and benz has just been really pissing me off because they dont know anything about driving and their parents buy it for them. don't get me wrong, everyone deserves a nice car, but they don't know the value of a dollar, which i learned the hard way working 12-16 hour shifts in a mechanic shop for 4 years. i truly am happy to see someone notices a kid my age finally working for what he wants.
Are you referring to me?? haha
Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Racer

TL ftw!

Here is another reason to get a MDX: IKEA

OTH, when and if you need to haul big things, I am sure at least one of the people you meet in college has an SUV or truck that you can borrow.

Another thing you might want to consider is, who will be paying the insurance. There have been a few new-comers asking for advice about insurance when they knowingly and willingly purchased liability. The last thing you would want to see is your hard earned vehicle go down the drain because of a mistake you or another driver makes while driving.

Lots of little things to consider as well. It is great that you are getting a free ride to college but college can still EXPENSIVE. Think about all the college life costs (not just the tuition). But if you have thought things through already then kudos to you and hopefully you will get a car that you will be happy with (see the first line in my post )

Sidenote: I wish my little brother could be like you. He is turning 19, doesn't listen to the parents, goes out all day everyday, got a free car ( my previous car given to him as a gift), parents are paying his rent (he lives with me), doesn't go to school doesn't have a job, the list goes on and on..... ....

Oh and congratulations in getting into college as well as a ride of your choice
Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 PM
10th Gear

thank youuuuu! so does anyone have any experience with a 2004 Acura MDX Touring + Navi? i want to know what your opinions are on it... the other forums for the MDX sucks, its as if no1 our age has an MDX...i mean its a pretty nice SUV idk why younger ppl don't drive it..
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
heyy guys i know its my first post, but better late than never right? well, my parents and i were having a debate and my dads been a mechanic for like 20 years and i'm 18 and going to college, and i was thinking of buying the 2004 Acura TL with my own money that ive been saving up...but my dad was saying how he can get a much better fully loaded 2003-04 MDX for the same price, which he continuously quotes as "a bigger bang for the buck" and its pissing me off

so i come to you guys, the best of the best to offer suggestions and advice!

help me come up with comparisons for the MDX and TL and let me triumph over my dad's dictatorship over my choice of cars!!!
How is this even a debate... Do YOU want an SUV or a car?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
thank youuuuu! so does anyone have any experience with a 2004 Acura MDX Touring + Navi? i want to know what your opinions are on it... the other forums for the MDX sucks, its as if no1 our age has an MDX...i mean its a pretty nice SUV idk why younger ppl don't drive it..
Because it's $45,000 :wink: . (unless you buy used, but it still isn't cheap then)
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Racer

Neither. You are about to go to college, done make the mistake of spending all your money on a car, especially when it will likely get trashed.

Save your dough.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Because it's $45,000 :wink: . (unless you buy used, but it still isn't cheap then)
Yeah, you will have to spend well more than $20K to get a used 2004 MDX Touring with Navi. The cheapest ones that I saw recently when I was looking for a car were 2002-2003 models that were base and had about 60K miles on them for around $23-24K. Good luck and It must be nice to be in this position!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm not your age but a regular on this board. I have a base 2002 MDX that we bought new. IMHO it drives and feels like a larger Legend (my last car) or TL.

Whenever I take it on a trip I am reminded of how nice a vechicle it is. My wife drives it on a daily basis. Considering its size, I'm amazed how well it handles. Touring should be just that much better. Mine has adequate power and reserve but little extra. In 2003 horsepower was increased from 240 to 265 which should help some. It's also great finding how much stuff will fit in it. We even took it on a 2000 mile round trip with 5 adults and luggage. The person that rode in the third row was small size and did not complain at all.

Some people on the MDX forum are rolling on 20's and perhaps 22s. There may be a few additional slight mods if you are interested. My transmisson had the upgrade done and so far no trouble.

I'm still for the Accord 4 cyl/5 spd just for the record. It's nice to have something to look forward to. When is this purchase going to happen?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
here, let's make this easy for you.....

Heads = TL
Tails = MDX

Best of 3 wins
Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by special-ed
here, let's make this easy for you.....