Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs MDX! HUGE DEBATE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:25 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb TL vs MDX! HUGE DEBATE!!!

heyy guys i know its my first post, but better late than never right? well, my parents and i were having a debate and my dads been a mechanic for like 20 years and i'm 18 and going to college, and i was thinking of buying the 2004 Acura TL with my own money that ive been saving up...but my dad was saying how he can get a much better fully loaded 2003-04 MDX for the same price, which he continuously quotes as "a bigger bang for the buck" and its pissing me off

so i come to you guys, the best of the best to offer suggestions and advice!

help me come up with comparisons for the MDX and TL and let me triumph over my dad's dictatorship over my choice of cars!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The MDX was more expensive when it was new. And you can get a decent one from $18-23K. I would still rather have a TL myself. Even an 04 your looking at $25K probably. I just prefer the handling of the TL for an everyday car. I wouldn't mind having a MDX also, for those trips to home depot.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Cruisin'

i heard the 04 tl has more hp than the rest of the 3g models besides the type s
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
if your parents are paying its best to go with what fits their budget.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

nope -- i saved up like 20G and can get either a decent 2004 TL or i can listen to my dad and get a fully loaded 03-04 MDX

help me out
Old 04-06-2007, 06:00 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Go with what you want cuz u'll regret it later, just like many ppl regret goin with a 5AT over 6MT.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

get the TL, why purchase a vehicle that you are not going to be happy with!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
10th Gear

amen to that! lol but what do i tell the rents?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Get what u want or else u'll regret later, just like many who regret getting 6MT over 5AT
Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Do the numbers on the difference in gas costs over say 5 years (the 4 years you are in college, plus a year to get on your feet before you buy a new car). The $ figure will probably be significant plus the chances of increases in fuel costs. Also go to Edmunds and get the true cost to own to get a bases for arguments that maintenance and repair are cheaper (not sure but usually AWDs are more expensive to maintain). Make the finacial argument along with the environmental argument both of which are quite mature approaches. In the end if they are still supporting you in any major way, even if you are paying for most/all of the car you do owe them significant weight in the decision.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM
6th Gear

Tl Ftmfw
Old 04-06-2007, 06:18 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL and MDX are 2 different type of vehicle.

Maybe it is true that you can get a BIGGER vehicle in MDX then TL.

You can get the MDX if you are not married/have a house/you need to drive more than 4 people around town, etc. I really think your parents want the MDX.

So I will get the TL.

Good Luck
Old 04-06-2007, 06:37 PM
10th Gear

i've talked to them on all aspects and created so many arguments....

i'm a college guy now, and its not like i'm going to home depot everyday to get wood and bring it home, i don't know why they want me to get AWD MDX...

i prefer a sportier sedan aka the TL -- it seems as if they think the TL is too expensive for an 04' while the MDX is alot cheaper at the same year =\
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
gimme a 4G !!

Originally Posted by Zircushio[TL/MDX]
which he continuously quotes as "a bigger bang for the buck" and its pissing me off

Do you want big? Or do you want a TL? Our cars are quite roomy (I'm 6'2 btw before I spike my hair and I have ample leg, shoulder, arm and head room) as well as pretty damn quick sedan for the $.

I would strongly recommend DRIVING both vehicles and see which Acura fits you, this should be one of the major determining factors.
Keep in mind HOW you drive too... I'm not against dissecting traffic when the situation calls. I've driven on numerous occasions my mother's ML550 and honestly, its just not the same. Being up higher is nice, and its relatively quick for and SUV (yes I know its not the MDX) but I personally, love hopping right back in the TL and being on my merry way.

Either way, Acura is solid bet.

Also, what ilitig8 said, couldn't be more true
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
18?.....RSX or TSX
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 'Zircushio[TL/MDX
i'm a college guy now, and its not like i'm going to home depot everyday to get wood and bring it home, i don't know why they want me to get AWD MDX...

Do you live (or are you going to college) were there is allot of snow? If not I would go for the car you want. It is your money. But, if they are helping with college it can be tricky. My first car wasn't what I wanted and I hated it. If I had it to do over I would have held out for what I wanted.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Underoathx90
Sorry, but you may be the last guy out there who doesn't realize that the 258 hp TL engine is simply the 270 hp 3.2L engine with a different measurement spec. And the 2005 TL was also rated at 270 ... the measurement system changed for the '06 model year.

As for the original poster's question ... tell your Dad it's your money and you prefer the TL!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're paying for it all yourself, then it should be your choice!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Tell the rents the TL looks better, gets better gas mileage, has better resale value and cooler
Old 04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Simple answer, they both take premium fuel, the TL gets 29 mpg highway, the MDX gets 23. At $3.00 a gallon, they won't see you as often with the MDX because as a poor college student you can't afford the extra money for gas to drive home every weekend! Of course this strategy will probably work better on your Mom than your Dad!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Your in the dilema similar to mine. I bought my wife an MDX, and I have been considering the TL-S. Well, I have gotten a bug for the Mitsu Evo IX, and she wants me to get the TL-S.

Anyway, coming from someone who drives an MDX everyday, they really are good vehicles! I love ours. Plenty of room, power, and very comfortable. Also, if your into custom systems, you have the space you need and then some!

Its your choice, but I would sit down with your dad and compare the 2 and choose the best. If fuel economy, room, parking space, whatever be your concerns, work them out then go from there!

Good Luck!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 PM
TL SL ML :)

If you think the family needs the MDX more than you wanting the TL...then I say see if you live with an MDX....but otherwise it really is your money, so you should do what you think is right even if that may be against your parents' wants
Old 04-07-2007, 12:25 AM
** Ikimasho! **

As a father of a 17 year old boy, let me give you the 'dad' perspective.

Are you going to live at home, and are your parents are looking at this as an opportunity to get a SUV into the lineup? If they are paying the tab, and they are looking at the functionality of an SUV for the family benefit, you may have a tough time. In that case, your mileage argument is your only hope.

If you are going away, and they are thinking of safety, you have a strong argument with the TL and its high crash test scores. Add to that the gas mileage issue already discussed, and the point that with an SUV, your college mates will always expect you to drive, and that is not a good thing for any parent to consider. With those elements, you have a good chance of success.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
not sure about that

Originally Posted by Underoathx90

actually, i think what happened was that sometime in like 2005 they started measuring a cars horsepower differently. you can google it if you like, but all cars started getting rated lower even though they kept the same exact engine. i'd get you a link to this but i'm too lazy.

If I'm wrong then i hope someone will correct me. thanks.

ntwillie1
Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
It could be worse, be glad they don' want you to get a CRV or Scion XA. TL and MDX are both great vechicles, I have one each. For college, if hauling your stuff and friends is a consideration, the MDX wins. The TL is more fun to drive but less practicle, MDX more rugged day to day.

Early 02-03-04 MDX lower price do to body change in 07 and rising gas prices. I can't imagine many 17 yo's wanting a big SUV though.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:34 AM
** Ikimasho! **

Major point is who will pay? It looks like you have the bucks for the TL, but is your dad going to pay for the MDX if you buy it? Without knowing your family dynamics, it is only a question you can answer how much you can tell your father no if you are spending your own money.

Assuming that you are one of the few 17years olds on earth that listens to their parents, (I have a 16 yr boy) here is your best strategy. If you are going away, and they are thinking of safety, you have a strong argument with the TL and its high crash test scores. Add to that the gas mileage issue already discussed, and point out strongly to them that with an SUV, your college mates will always expect you to drive, and that is not a good thing for any parent to consider. With those elements, you have a good chance of success.

Lastly, think about what you are debating, an Acura TL or an Acura MDX. Wow, 90% of the 17 year olds out there would be thrilled with such a choice. Both vehicles are incredible. Look on the bright side.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Instructor

test drive them both, my top 2 choices was a tl and a mdx- took the tl because of gas milage and looks.. got a loaner last week and it was a mdx. It was a nice ride, comfy, and was able to pack a lot of stuff into it. mdx might come in handy when your going back home from school?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:43 AM
No more Infinitis for me

Originally Posted by Indy Paul
Simple answer, they both take premium fuel, the TL gets 29 mpg highway, the MDX gets 23. At $3.00 a gallon, they won't see you as often with the MDX because as a poor college student you can't afford the extra money for gas to drive home every weekend! Of course this strategy will probably work better on your Mom than your Dad!
maybe at 55 with no A/C and windows closed... I am averaging 20
Old 04-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn if i had 20k in cash, I would buy a 2G TL at the most and put a substantial amount down in a townhome, now thats an investment! but of course you need stable income to pay homeowners insurance, ultilities, taxes etc.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MR1
It could be worse, be glad they don' want you to get a CRV or Scion XA. TL and MDX are both great vechicles, I have one each. For college, if hauling your stuff and friends is a consideration, the MDX wins. The TL is more fun to drive but less practicle, MDX more rugged day to day.

Early 02-03-04 MDX lower price do to body change in 07 and rising gas prices. I can't imagine many 17 yo's wanting a big SUV though.

thats one reason why my dad wants it...his theory is, if hes letting me buy a car, might as spend 20g+ and get a 4x4 AWD Acura MDX instead of a FWD TL -- he told me, had the TL been cheaper, it wouldn't have bothered him but they're the same price....which i don't understand either

as well everyones gas debate..that doesn't help because we own a gas station

i mean, i just wanted a sporty sedan because thats the kind of guy i am, and i just have that feeling i'm going to be called a soccer mom with an MDX =/ and seeing as how you can't really hook it up beside rims and a system..it doesn't help

so if i'm forced to get the MDX -- i'm thinking black on black 2004 MDX Touring with navi and the whole nine yards package

and btw for the ppl saying don't complain about the choice, i'm not -- i worked for what i could potentially buy and getting into college with a free ride really helped me out in buying a nicer ride...so i think i might just pick up the MDX use it for 4 years, resell it and buy an 2010 Acura TL or maybe even a BMW M3

letme know what you guys think -- your the best
Old 04-07-2007, 05:14 PM
What's VTEC?

Hmmm....just go with what you want, even if youre parents disagree with you they usually just go with you in the end anyways. In the beginning parents usually always make the choices for us based and what they would want, but not wat we would want, , hey, theyre parents right? And seeing that youre a 18 year old college student it would probably better suit you driving a TL than an MDX, thats what I think at least. The MDX is an awesome car, its one of my favorites SUV's besides the RDX (although I would never drive an SUV, Truck, Van). So I would go for the TL........and youll have so much more fun modding it also

And regarding the quality, ITS AN ACURA, acura makes great cars overall. Also it is unfair for your father to be comparing the TL with an MDX, they are both different classes of cars. Just have a serious talk with him and show him that you want the TL, on top of that, its your hard earned and saved money.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
MDX is one of the sportier SUV's to drive fwiw. The best argument against you having one, depending on where you live is actually safety.

The higher center of gravity that an SUV has makes it more likely to tip over than a sedan. This is a known concern regarding all SUV's vs cars. That said, I think the MDX and TL have similar crash safety factors with other things being equal. Honda is big on building safe vechicles. I think I would prefer not to have my 17 y/o son driving something that could turn over if he drives like most relatively inexperienced young drivers do. OTOH I would probably rather see you in a 4 cyl / 5 Spd MT Accord or Civic.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Pro

Is there any difference in insurance premiums for the TL and MDX? If your new car is going to be under your dad's insurance policy and he pays the premium, he probably will have more say in what you should buy even though you are paying for the car. Also, I think the MDX probably has better crashing ratings than the TL.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 PM
** Ikimasho! **

Zircushiou, Firstly, my hat is off to you and your dad. For a 17 year old to have $20k in the bank, earned a free ride to college, and to have a logical discussion about a significant purchase, and to have apparent respect for his family is outstanding. Not many kids where I live fit that description.

As for this thread, you have to make the choice. Do you honor your father's requests (it appears you have a strong family unit), or do you take an early jump into the 'I am almost an adult and I will do what I want' phase of your life? Nobody on this Board can make that call. My guess is that you are where you are (see above) because of your family (father) and you don't want to disrespect that. Great, get the MDX, drive it for a year or so and enjoy it. When you feel the time is right to assert your 'adulthood' into the family equation, then go get a car you want if by then you are sure the MDX isn't it.

Best of luck in college, congrats.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Race Director

Just get the TL, its sportier and I can see a 18 y/o in that any day over a Family Sized MDX
Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If I were you, I would save the money. Even if you just rented a car whenever you needed one, you would be saving money (price of car, insurance, parking, parking tickets, speeding tickets, etc). Either that or get some beater that can haul all your shit, and you dont care about getting banged up, vandalized, puked in, letting your friends drive etc.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Instructor

03-04 MDX =

04-06 TL/a-spec rims/ kit = and you get the girls too lol

on a serious note, with all that money you've saved up, i say buy the car you wanted and not what your parents wants. The end.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MR1
MDX is one of the sportier SUV's to drive fwiw. The best argument against you having one, depending on where you live is actually safety.

The higher center of gravity that an SUV has makes it more likely to tip over than a sedan. This is a known concern regarding all SUV's vs cars. That said, I think the MDX and TL have similar crash safety factors with other things being equal. Honda is big on building safe vechicles. I think I would prefer not to have my 17 y/o son driving something that could turn over if he drives like most relatively inexperienced young drivers do. OTOH I would probably rather see you in a 4 cyl / 5 Spd MT Accord or Civic.

haha i'm glad you want me to drive a 4 cyclinder honda accord --- because i have been driving a 1991 accord for almost about a year and a half now, and i'm not an inexperienced driver, the 20k i saved was working in a mechanic shop for 4+ years fixing and driving cars all day long.

about the whole SUV gravity thing...i know, but my dad trusts me that i don't drive like an idiot lol .. he thinks the MDX is more elegant and more "luxary" than the TL ... idk.... i guess i'll just rant and rave about how cool the TL is -- and if not, whats the worse that can happen? i end up buying an MDX?..
Old 04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Expat TL-S
Zircushiou, Firstly, my hat is off to you and your dad. For a 17 year old to have $20k in the bank, earned a free ride to college, and to have a logical discussion about a significant purchase, and to have apparent respect for his family is outstanding. Not many kids where I live fit that description.

As for this thread, you have to make the choice. Do you honor your father's requests (it appears you have a strong family unit), or do you take an early jump into the 'I am almost an adult and I will do what I want' phase of your life? Nobody on this Board can make that call. My guess is that you are where you are (see above) because of your family (father) and you don't want to disrespect that. Great, get the MDX, drive it for a year or so and enjoy it. When you feel the time is right to assert your 'adulthood' into the family equation, then go get a car you want if by then you are sure the MDX isn't it.

Best of luck in college, congrats.
Expat TL -S ---- thanks for the hat its just growing up seeing all these kids my age getting 2007 bmws, audis, and benz has just been really pissing me off because they dont know anything about driving and their parents buy it for them. don't get me wrong, everyone deserves a nice car, but they don't know the value of a dollar, which i learned the hard way working 12-16 hour shifts in a mechanic shop for 4 years. i truly am happy to see someone notices a kid my age finally working for what he wants.

as for the whole MDX vs. TL battle with the rents, lol i guess i'll just make dad happy and drive the MDX for a couple years. We mad an agreement that if i have to buy the MDX he'll chip in a little bit so i can get the MDX Touring 2004 with dual exaust on both sides and a navi so wish me luck

and for the luck note, i'll need it lol -- majoring in bio to become a doctor isn't going to be much easier than working in a mechanic shop 14 hours
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zircushio[TL/MDX]
Expat TL -S ---- thanks for the hat its just growing up seeing all these kids my age getting 2007 bmws, audis, and benz has just been really pissing me off because they dont know anything about driving and their parents buy it for them. don't get me wrong, everyone deserves a nice car, but they don't know the value of a dollar, which i learned the hard way working 12-16 hour shifts in a mechanic shop for 4 years. i truly am happy to see someone notices a kid my age finally working for what he wants.

as for the whole MDX vs. TL battle with the rents, lol i guess i'll just make dad happy and drive the MDX for a couple years. We mad an agreement that if i have to buy the MDX he'll chip in a little bit so i can get the MDX Touring 2004 with dual exaust on both sides and a navi so wish me luck

and for the luck note, i'll need it lol -- majoring in bio to become a doctor isn't going to be much easier than working in a mechanic shop 14 hours
Holy crap I so hear you on kids getting brand new cars. I had to pay for my TL which is why I got a 2000. I think its great you can afford a newer TL and actually pay for it on your own. The part that drives me the most nuts is how they treat there cars. Like when they say "dude why dont you floor it more often" I would love to do that but my parents arent paying my gas. The worst is this one kid I know he puts his car in first (without tiptronic) and just floors it to warm it up. Floors up it up the red line then lets it off a little and floors it back up to the redline and sometimes into the redline. Every singal time in the car he does this.

So just for someone else who had to work for his TL (or maybe MDX in your case) great job you should be proud of yourself and because you will respect your own property.

Now as far as TL vs MDX they are both great cars. If you are going the MDX route get at least an 04. They updated the MDX a bit in 04 and they also made there trannys more relaible in 04. They have major issues with the 01-02 and fixed it somewhat for 03 but apparently the 04s are fine now. More MDX info try http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/ As for your dad im sure if you talk him over you can eventually convice him into a TL. I have a 2000 and love it and I have sat in the new ones at the dealer and I think there amazing so if you get one im sure you will love it. However, the mdx is also a nice car so good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: TL vs MDX! HUGE DEBATE!!!