3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs. Drivers Under 22

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Someone who's 21-22 yrs is generally out of college. I would expect their taste to be a bit different from a 16-19yr old. In high school, that crowd prefer the hatchbacks and 2D cars. 21-35 yrs of age, they like the sporty sedans (TL, 3, G, IS). 40-55 yrs of age you see guys going more for the cruisers (RL, M, GS, A6). 60 and above they love the saloons (LS, 7, S). Also what is corollary is as one gets older they make more money and are able to afford more expensive cars. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
When I bought my Type S, I had to buy another car. My red Chrysler Sebring convertible was totalled in an accident 2 days before Christmas. It was beautiful and I would have driven it till it dropped, but some girl who was driving on a suspended license made that happen early for me.

I actually put a deposit on a Toyota Camry Hybrid before going over to the Acura dealer one more time to look at a TL. Why I put a deposit on the Camry-I don't know. It was a car-it was fine, but I wasn't THAT excited about it.

My girlfriend encouraged me to get the TL because it's sportier, classier and better looking than most cars on the road. Since we were looking for cars around the holiday season, many dealerships weren't open. I just didn't think I wanted to afford a Lexus. I knew I didn't want another BMW because I didn't want to be nickeled and dimed to death with repairs. Plus, I didn't want to spend $40,000 for a car.

A friend of mine had a base TL, and we put some of my DVD Audio discs in his car to listen to them-they sounded terrific !! I totall fell into a Type S and paid base TL pricing for it.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I'm only 15, don't even have my license yet.

My dad had an 86 Pontiac 6000. The car was huge and I loved all the space we had, for me as a kid and all my parents' friends. I knew the practicality that came with a big car could be really useful.

In my eyes, the TL is like a modern 6000, just more luxurious and sportier, and you couldn't really ask for more of a car.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was in the market for a new car a few months back, I narrowed it down to either an Evo X or a TL-S. At first, I was leaning more towards the Evo cuz I wanted something really sporty. The Evo is definitely one mean car but in the end, I couldn't really justify it with rising gas prices, Evo maintenance costs, and the fact that I'd be paying over 40k for a Mitsubishi haha

I'm glad I ended up picking the TL-S. Its balance between performance and luxury was more than enough to satisfy me, especially at such a great price. I also think it fits the image of a young business man such as myself pretty well ha
Old 07-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced

men and women in blue too?

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Thank you for defending this great country of ours. I (along with everyone else) have the utmost respect for someone that puts their life on the line daily like you. Thank you.
What about the cops do u have respect for them too or do u feel that they are just a large street gang like alot of people do here in the USA until they need them to fix the trouble they got them selfs into that is.

Btw thanks for doing your part my son is going into the NAVY on Aug 4 hpe the both of you will be ok.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Distorted Reality
21st Century Bro, kids don't rock old station wagons anymore.

I'd rock a station wagon, some of those are nice. Like the Benz E-Class wagon. I'd rather have a station wagon than a SUV.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 PM
NBP 08 TL Type S / TSX

Smile

I am 23.5 and I personally like sedans because I roll with my family everywhere and I am the smallest. I am 6' 3" and with everyone bigger than me it would be hard to roll in a coupe; but I feel the sedans look better anyways!!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:30 PM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol no wonder, i was looking at everyones ages and i was like wtff everyones over 22
Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
21st Century Bro, kids don't rock old station wagons anymore.
Here are some station wagons I'd love to rock:

Among many others....
Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM
iScrape going into

I wasn't referring to station wagons like that. You guys are probably to young to know what a station wagon with wood paneling on the side of a car is lol. Back in the 80's and early 90's
Old 07-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
im 19 and i had an rsx type s. unfortunately it was totalled and i figured it was time to grow up and get a more mature car yet still with some kick.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
These threads are so pointless and repetitive of the same damn thing.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM
SlammedOnKonis

I wasn't referring to station wagons like that. You guys are probably to young to know what a station wagon with wood paneling on the side of a car is lol. Back in the 80's and early 90's
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Cruisin'

I am 21 and my tl is my 3rd car. Totaled my 2002 mustang, sold my 2000 tahoe with 232,000 miles, and have had my tl for half a year now. The reason i purchased one is because I wanted a fast, functional, practical, and reliable car. I didn't want to get a flashy coupe or anything because I have a great dane and also I will be graduating college soon and I want a classy vehicle.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Study

Your views tend to change when you ride around on a motorcycle as your daily for years.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Stuck in Vegas.

19 and this is my second TL. LOVE THEM! love a sedan and all the features. it seems more respectable and nicer imho.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

I started with a 91' civic hatch, hated always moving the seat.. Moved into a 00' Impala thinking id like the space, it was to much like an old persons car.. So in 04' when they re-designed the TL I decided that was going to be my car, so Oct. of last year I purchased my 05'.. I have always loved HONDA/ACURA and this car is perfect for me.. Reliable, sexy n sleek, very stealth, luxury, great handling and control. I just LOVE it..
Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i know people will probably flame on me... but anyway

Im wayyyy under 22. a good 6 years. im 16 now, and am proud to say that i drive a 04 tl. i joined these forums 4 years when i was 12 years old. i was a car nut every since i read my first motor trend magazine in 1995 lol

but i guess you could say i planned what i would be driving... i convinced my dad to buy the tl for him and usually, my dads car would be given (or in my case sold) to the child who was about to start driving... i planned for four years and did well... bought the car CHEAP from my bad

and that was at 12!!! lol but i did my research, loved the tech, engine, etc

just wish it had rwd
Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I'm proud to say I paid for my TL entirely myself. No help from mommy or daddy here...
Old 07-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I'd rock an Olds woody any day . I still remember plenty of them running around our neighborhood.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
WOW! this thread was started 2 days before my 14th birthday! haha
anyway I wanted a TL ever since I saw the 3g. It was that picture of the back of the car. The pic with a silver TL facing a wall that they used to have in all the brochures. I just loved how it looked. It was low and just caught my eye.

When my dad was buying the car I had the choice of a G35 coupe or my TL. I chose the Tl cause of the looks and the interior. I wish that it had the power of the G coupe, but I still wouldnt trade. I love my TL = )
Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 PM
2011 BMW 335i

I am 22 years old and I love 2-door cars but I prefer sport sedans, I don't like how coupes are usually uncomforable for people in the back and sometimes make it unconfortable for people riding in the front for example, if the person in the back has long legs, that makes the person in the front have to scoot their seat up, making their ride unconfortable. Also when someone is riding in the back, the people in the front always have to get out to let the people in the back out (that's a freakin pain) not to mention the fact that insurance is more expensive for younger drivers when driving a coupe vs. 4 door car. My first car at age 16 was a 2001 Altima SE, then I got an 2003 Maxima SE, then 2005 Altima SE V6 and Then my 05 Acura TL....can you see the pattern? I have always went for the nice sport sedans.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Advanced

My first car was a 2006 Honda Civic ex with navi... It was a great car... nice on gas.

After 2 years I was bored of auto transmission and wanted a stick.. I had no plans to buy a tl... and I was looking to buy a new tsx, but when I joined Acurazine and heard about the great deals on the TL.. I did my best to further bargain n settled for $ 33,489. I am glad I made this change and I am loving my 08 Tl type s 6mt
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Instructor

19. i had an 07 tl-s that got totalled. shopped around but the convenience of a sedan and all the other options (navigation, bluetooth, paddle shifters, etc) pulled me back into getting another tl. now sporting an 08 wdp tl-s =D
Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I got mine when i was 18. i was originally lookin at the 330i but it wasnt worth it whereas the TL had all the options for a muchh cheaper price. I wanted a car that I could modify and not have to worry about some other kid having the same car. I also wanted luxury more than performace, which is why i didnt get an Evo or STI. Im more of a chill back and relax than go crazy fast guy, even though im always speeding anyway.
Im glad that I got the TL because I still havent seen one as nice as mine yet (except at an AZ meet or on AZ.com)
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

1st car 05 civic had every mod you can think of.. i had a civic mugan waiting for me. i was on my way to pick it up untill my mother said to stop at the acura dealer cause she wanted to see the new mdx and i sat in a tl for the 1st time ever and i fell in love..
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Clemson Tiger

I had a my mom's old 1990 volvo 240DL wagon for a year and then for my 17th birthday I bought myself the tl. haha. Great car for the money though, and I only owe 2000 more on it. Hoping to get a tsx for college though (gas )
Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Im now 23, by the time mapleridgesam was writing these lines I was already dreaming buying the 3rd GEN TL. I didnt had alot of money at that time so I sold my 1990 HBack Civic and got a 1996 Accord Sedan.

The change was extreme, no more "get out of the car cause some one wants to get in the back" ..... This is one of the main reason.

Other than that, I personally think that the TL is a PACKAGE DEAL, that whats make this car attractive. When you buy a BMW, you need to pay for extras i.e.: xenon, electric options, sunroof etc.

Whit the TL you get everything stock (except NAVI or ASPEC)
Bluetooth
6CD indash Changer
XM ready
Leather seats
Cruise control
Xenon lights
17' rims
2 zone temperature
AC
Moon roof
Tilting side mirrors
Auto tinting rear mirrors
Electric accessories (roof, doors, windows)

THE LIST GOES ON !!!!!

Its been a year now, and I still cant get enough!!!!

Vmt
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datnikkavinc
19. i had an 07 tl-s that got totalled. shopped around but the convenience of a sedan and all the other options (navigation, bluetooth, paddle shifters, etc) pulled me back into getting another tl. now sporting an 08 wdp tl-s =D
haha wow lucky you..I just picked me up a 08 WDP TL-S too..WDP ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!

I love my TL-S. I always wanted a G35 cuz it was a 2dr and it got the performance, but then it was starting get played out. I would see them from left to right. My friends were getting em before me and I didnt want to seem like everyone else.I didnt really mind a 4dr specially if it got the power in it. it also got the best features u can possibly ask for in a TL. So I cant complain..And hey, I gotta say, I dont see that many Type-S around..

Most importantly...it gots CLASS
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced

I'm 21 and got my car when I was 20 (last July and so it just celebrated it's 1 year birthday) =)

I've been on the lookout for a new car as, living in SoCal, there was no need for my parent's car (which I drove over from upstate NY). It was a red 1998 Volvo V70 with AWD. Stood out like a sore red thumb on campus. So it was time to switch it up.

Honestly, if it weren't for a Type-S model, I probably wouldn't have gotten an Acura, it being my first car that I'd purchase by myself. However the quad exhaust, the navi, the added ponies ... definitely a PLUS for the price. If the TL was only a base, I'd probably have gotten a G35 or possibly an IS350. BMW too expensive and not really into the 3 series (rather a 5 series). I wouldn't get a coup because I needed to drive others and it's so damn painful sitting in the back of even a Mustang with bigger guys crammed up against each other.

But looking back, I don't regret my purchase at all especially with this forum (only found it AFTER my purchase). And with it being Honda and a huge following, there are plenty of mods to have fun doing! =)
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
ADVANCE.

Man, my first car at the age of 16 was my mom's 4dr '86 Oldsmobile Delta 88... Hella big and made of metal... Felt like a tank on the road... Then I moved on to a Chevy van, that was cool because I used to DJ back then and hauled all of our equipment.... Then in '97 got me a brand new Corolla I felt like a champ, and now ten years from that I was going for a '08TSX and ended up buying a brand new '07TL-S for just a couple grand more from the '08TSX... GAWD I love the TL-S... Best car EVER...

But for all the young cats driving TL's off da bat, much props to yall for doing it big... Bet all of your friends that drive that old ass stock civic with the loud ass muffler with a supra spoiler are hella jealous of you... but its all good, I'd be jealous too.... haha... PEACE!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How does an under age of 22 afford a brand new Acura TL?

What happened to college loans, apartment rent, going out to bars? Is this all free for the younger generation?

I don't know about everyone, but if I was driving a TL at the age of 21-22, come age 30-40 I would feel that there would be a huge void of unsatisfaction for the NEXT level of driving experience.

Granted, whatever vehicle parents want to spoil their teenager/college graduates is their choice, but really, is that doing them a good thing by setting the bar so high so early in life?

This, however unfortunate, may have been caused by the price range the TL falls under as well. Many parents would most likely go for the TL over the TSX anyday just based on what you get for your money( since the difference in price between the two is not that different). Admittedly, the TL is a smart buy (not factoring gas prices).

It doesn't surprise me one bit that some highschoolers/college kids get their nice luxury vehicle keyed up because of someone's jealousy. IMO, the TL is not appropriate for such a young age. Even at age 28-30, I feel that the TL is more appropriate for age 35+. Some owners say here that they wanted to be a little more mature and get the TL, but they end up slamming it, limo tint, putting 20in wheels and loud exhausts - which pretty much goes against what I consider mature. Sure, they are enthusiasts, but that is something they should have graduated along with their Civic. Putting on TEIN coilovers, cold air intakes, and parts that risk voiding warranties ( only to switch them back before maintenance/inspection) really departs from the crowd that Acura was probably going for. I believe that Acura realized the TL was embraced by a crowd that was one generation too young. Which is probably why the next gen will be a price range and luxury level that is a bit out of reach of your everyday teen/sub-20-yr-old.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by prophoenix
Honestly, if it weren't for a Type-S model, I probably wouldn't have gotten an Acura
Same here. If there wasn't a type-s TL, I wouldn't be sitting in an Acura either. You see TL's everywhere, and they're mostly driven by some old geezers. I love having a car that's unique and looks good.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

young people dig the 3G TL for the looks. that's what attracted me to it when it first made it's debut.

i had a modded 99 Eclipse (props to the two ex-Eclipse drivers above) at the time. at the time i was shopping for a new EVO IX, even put a deposit down on one to get it shipped here from California. my dealership got a NBP TL in on trade the next day. i took it out for a spin during my lunch break. after work i went to the mitsu dealer and told them to give me my deposit back (no problems there surprisingly). i then took the TL out for the weekend. had to think about it. took the TL out the NEXT weekend. came back to work on monday and did the paperwork during my lunch break.

i was blown away by the looks, speed, comfort, price, color, shift feel, and down-right pimpness of the TL.

haven't looked back since. got a TON of compliments from friends when i first got it, i still do.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Instructor

I as well had a 98 Eclipse for my first vehicle when I was 17. Started to turn into a money pit so I sold it and got an S2000 because well it's quick and you really didn't have to do anything to it. Turned out to be to small of a vehicle for me, and when you are a Navy guy in the states you do quite a bit of driving over the holidays to see family so it wasn't a good road trip vehicle. So I sold that, got a civic, later got deployed came back said forget the civic I want something sporty, bigger, and luxury so I went for the TL. I don't regret my decision at all. I'll be hanging onto this for awhile.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Pro

I asked mom for an STI or EVO she said HELL NO so I went with the TL.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
^^I hope your not complaining here !!!! Who would say NO to a brand new TL as a gift!!! DAMN you lucky!!!!! Now you can spend YOUR money on mods....or momy is paying for that 2 ?? lol just jokin

Vmt
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Pro

LOL well she pays for insurance and gas sometimes. WHose complaining! No Im very glad I got the TL cause its a much better daily driver. Not as cool as it was two years ago, but I started modding recently so now its cool again.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i love my car! dont regret buying it and even thought my friends tell me "with the money you bought the TL you could have bought a swapped civic hatchback, or 240sx, or even en Evo" but i tell em. i got a nice little mix of class, and performance and im sticking to my car. plus i have a project "truck" for such occasions..hehe.

but i wouldnt trade my car for the world
Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, there are some lucky kids on this board! My first car was an 81 Corolla. I drove the heck out of that thing back and forth from college, road trips, etc. My first real car came after college - a used 88 Legend Coupe. It appealed to me the same reason the TL appeals to many of you "youngsters"... style and performance. It also had advanced technology (My tape player, not CD, had a repeat button. And there was an audio volume control on the dash by the steering wheel). High tech indeed!

Quick Reply: TL vs. Drivers Under 22