Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs. Drivers Under 22

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL vs. Drivers Under 22

I have a general curiosity question about young drivers' interest in the TL. I just got mine last week, and love it, but I'm curious as to why younger drivers like this vehicle.

I mean, when I was 20, the last car I wanted was a four-door sedan. In fact, I hated driving my parent's sedan when I first got my license. Now I notice that many users on this forum are under 22, and own a TL. There are so many sports cars on the market with similar options, and in the same price range.

Kudos to you for having great taste in cars!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

I personally started out in a camry- so when my sister was goign to take my car, i realized how convenient the space of a sedan was. Along with that, my parents wouldn't like me driving a coupe/sports car just because of the "image" and luckily they weren't against the "sport sedan" sector... rather, i didn't really explain that this car had 270 hp.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Racer

my first car was a integra, yea i was into the sporty coupe type of cars 2dr's.
But most 4drs these days are really nice.
TL is awesome, along with the other sedens like A4, 3 series etc
i like the TL for many reasons
nice interior, 270 HP, the lines of this car make it look so nice on the move, and the rear looks appleaing to...wide, low, led type brake lights, and chrome tips

list goes on and on but those are mostlythe main reasons
anyone that i have showed the car to in my age group loves it.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Racer

btw which dealership did you goto? care to share the price?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Cruisin'

Ravi, I purchased my TL through a broker. I got a 2004 TL with NAVI, and paid $42,350CDN, plus our God-forsaken taxes, of course...
Old 10-04-2004, 01:47 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i've always liked sedans. it was different. everyone my age wanted a 2 door or a convertible. 2 doors were generally smaller and harder to access the cabin. convertibles dont usually handle as well compared to stock. the sedan was just, different. i like the longer look that the body gets as opposed to being scrunched.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im 21 and i recently just got my tl like a week ago. i dont know why i really like this car. its just awsome. i think its just out of my group of friends im the last one to get "my car" so im not really into fixing up my car anymore and stuff anymore because i went through that phase through everyone elses cars. so when i did finally get my car, i was looking for a sporty and luxorous car. i also consider the furture also because i dont plan on selling my car, so the TL was my best choice because it was roomie of a sedan and powerful of a sports car.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Getting there

Originally Posted by mapleridgesam

Kudos to you for having great taste in cars!

My first car was a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse, I riced it out already but since im getting deployed on a peace keeping mission to Kosovo in Europe, i'll have loads of mola when i come back, so i decided to use it on the TL, to me, im getting it cuz i feel its a reward that a soldier has earned
Old 10-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for defending this great country of ours. I (along with everyone else) have the utmost respect for someone that puts their life on the line daily like you. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Racer

IMHO..the seconds generation TL which i have owned for a month now is the most underrated car for its money..VTECH is a great engine and Acura is a good name for its money...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Bumbaklaat

Im 21 years old. The last car that I had was a Nissan Xterra. So this was a huge difference for me in diriving. I'vehad the car now for a couple of months and I still drive it like a SUV. Guess when I get used to driving a car, ill start taking advantage of its power.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

My last car was a Mustang convertible and when you have four people in your car, it get really tight and since i'm the driver i have to have my seat close to the stearing wheel, so I just didnt like that. I just got my TL two days ago and so far it feels so much better than the mustang. Its just an all around better car. there is no comparison.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

yeah basically all the same reasons everyone has been posting. I have had a 1991 Mazda 626. NEVER gave me problems. so then 3 years later i decided to have an upgrade to a 1999 Mazda 626. Never gave me problems ether. thats why i had stuck to that mazda's. But then i was like damn. 4 cyl.... hmmm i want faster i want a V6. And i wasnt going to spend more money on rims and systems and lights anymore. So i said i am going to look for a car that is BADD @$$ as it is!!!!! and BAM.. i saw the TL one time in Aventura Mall in front of me and i was WHAT THE F--K.. WHAT IS THAT!!!!! At the time i was in love with the Mazda 6. Planning on geting it with everything.. But as soon i saw that TL in the mall .. wow.. my jaw dropped!! and i spent about 4 or 6 months reading on it, asking for info by mail, i have like 6 brouchurs(spelling error) and all these articles i read on line... IT WAS IT!!!!. everyone around here LOVES it!!!! specially me.. and again 4 doors, can go out with friends, lots of trunk space. ALL I WANTED... I LOVE IT!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Advanced

my first car was a 1990 300zx NA 2+2, then after a year i swapped it into twinturbo. car was all done up and i couldnt drive it in winter anymore, then i got a 240 for few month, and then comes the 86 toyota corolla GTS, fun car to drive, NOT IN WINTER. =(

then i start to look for a 4 door so i can actually drive it in all the weathers, i saw the G35 and Maxima first coz i am a nissan fan, but the price is not worth it, TL has just too many to win over them, and the agressive look of this car, I love the head light, looks angery and pissed off. the body is a little boxy but still round, just by the body design of this car has already killed me. do i need to say more?

btw the my age.

18 - 300zx NA
19 - 300ZX TT (still has it)
19.5 - 240 (sold)
20 - AE86 GTS (stuck in my hand but trying to sell it)
21 - TL
Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 AM
I like you, do u like me?

My first car was a 1991 Mustang that I hot rodded to the point where it could not be driven on the street anymore. It ran high 11's in the quarter mile and could wake up the dead. I decided to buy an SUV to get around in and so that I could tow the race car to the track when I needed to. I decided on a used 92 Ford Explorer (bad choice). I drove it for a few years until it completely failed on me, and then purchased a 2000 Ford Expedition. I drove the expedition until this year until I got fed up with the gas mileage. I decided to go for something more economical, yet reliable at the same time. I originally liked the idea of the new Toyota Prius. But as they are were nearly impossible to get ahold of, I settled for an 04 Honda Accord coupe V6/ex with navi instead. I loved the honda, it was my taste of Japanese engineering, had tons of power and was a blast to drive. I was happy with this car for a couple of months until I started reading all about the new TL. I'm a tech-head and I previously had an aftermarket bluetooth kit in my expedition, so I really liked the idea of having bluetooth/dvd-audio/navi/voice controls all in one package. Since I had purchased the Honda for such a great price ($24,000 brand new) I thought I could maybe recoup as much money as possible and get the TL instead. I went down to the dealer and fell in love with the TL immediately. In my opinion, the TL is the perfect blend of performance, luxyury, and high technology all in one package.
And this is coming from someone who has driven race cars and luxury suv's. I'm going to drive my TL until I graduate from law school, at which point i'll probably buy the next gen TL or a an s-class mercedes.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Not 22 anymore, but close enough. I always liked 4 doors, because they are more practical and a lot better for road trips, etc. A 4 door sports sedan is definitely my kind of car, and the TL fits that perfectly.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:15 PM
professional TL driver

my first car was a 1981 280zx. when i bought it it was in great condition and served me well. however being a 2 door 2 seater detracted on the fun you could have with freinds (and the 2+2s were ugly in my opinion). after the 280 (which i still have, and is slowly being turned into a weekend race car) i had a 2000 ford contour svt. i absolutly adored the svt. 200 hp 5 speed manual and 4 doors. it was quick enough to keep me entertained but not so quick to get me into to much trouble (although i got several tickets in this car) when i first bought this car my parents thought i had knocked someone up (why else would an 18 year old boy want a four door family sedan) after explaining everything i bought and loved that car other then a blown differential (covered under warrenty) the car was very reliable. unfortunatly i wrecked the car. between the insurance money and my saving i had 20k to put down (almost identical to what i finance on the contour) so i thought what the hell and bought the tl
Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Advanced

I'm 25, and my first car was 2002 Acura RSX-S. I really loved it, and I modded it pretty much. After about a year and a half, I switched to WRX which had TERRIBLE interior, and now I have an R32 which I like pretty much.
But honestly, I'm tired of these young guys' car. I wanted something more comfortable, that has more luxury while still having a powerful engine, and ..... you guys know the answer.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:00 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Answering the initial question; I wasn't allowed a RWD car because I live in New York, so immediately BMW, G35c, 350z, and the like were out of the question. The G35x is just butt ugly (except I've seen one in black with blacked out windows, looked pretty cool actually, nothing compared to the TL though), the STi I probably wouldn't be allowed to get the moment my dad found out what it was - oh and it was butt ugly, the maxima was... ugly, the audi a4 was nice but I really didn't like the value (or lack thereof) it presented, had no interested in passat or anything, and the CTS wasn't bad but I really didn't like it because it wasn't as fast as the G35 or TL, nor as nice. So, I saw the TL at the autoshow and fell in love with it. The exterior styling was great. Interior styling is top notch. Value is unmatched. Performance is definitely beaten by the G35x, but I bought the whole car as a package, and while I was close to buying a G35x, I couldn't justifty the purchase for a quicker .1 seconds or something 0-60. BTW, I also looked at the FX in AWD but it priced out too expensive. My dad ended up getting one for himself though, heh.

It was hard convincing my dad to let me get the TL instead of the TSX. I couldn't tell him I wanted it for 2 more cylinder and 70 more poines; that would have been enough of a reason for him to not let me get the TL. Although, I did like the interior in the TL more than the TSX, and the exterior styling too. I felt like the interior in the TSX was just missing a piece, and the exterior was kind of half-assed. Its a great looking car, but dunno, just doesn't do it for me (the TSX).

Oh, and I still wish I got stick!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Racer

GaleForce...i went through the same decisions as you. I live in NY as well, made the same choice. My first car is my 2004 acura TL. I am loving every bit of it. To tell you the truth, i hate convertables. Coupes also do not appeal to me unless they are truly sporty cars such as the corvette and other more exotic cars. Having a Mid-level Performance coupe makes it seem like the car is some sort of lie. It is also annoying having to push the seat back when you have mroe than 1 passenger, which i do most of the time unless if i am just out relieving some stress by driving.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:21 AM
Advanced

I really love this car and i got it for 48400 with tax in Toronto. Btw, I am 20
Old 10-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by MatrixVibes
My first car was a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse, I riced it out already but since im getting deployed on a peace keeping mission to Kosovo in Europe, i'll have loads of mola when i come back, so i decided to use it on the TL, to me, im getting it cuz i feel its a reward that a soldier has earned
My first car was also a 98 eclipse, I'm not deployed but station in europe. Good luck on your deployment. I do have a 99 TL, but I'm waiting for the SH-AWD TL is it ever comes out.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by JSK22
Not 22 anymore, but close enough. I always liked 4 doors, because they are more practical and a lot better for road trips, etc. A 4 door sports sedan is definitely my kind of car, and the TL fits that perfectly.
Agreed. I've always owned Honda/Acura sedans. The TL is just a natural evolution of that.

Not every 22 and under person wants an impractical and expensive to insure/high theft rice rocket. I know I wanted some practicality, subtle styling and features. Maybe I just had good parents? I know from reading some of these posts, there are some very irresponsible parents letting their snot nosed kids get their way but thats for another thread.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amen!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Advanced

I'm juts giving thanks these kids don't want some godawful SUV monstrosity with ridiculous chrome rime. Young men should want fast car not soccer mom vehicles.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
black on black on bla....

im 17 the TL is a sick car- younger kids my age love the car as well, but they like i noticed they like big SUV's alot-this is a result of watching too much BET and MTV Cribs. In my opinion sporty sedans like the TL are the nicest type of car. There nice lookin, fast, reliable, safe, and there just the right size. Theres no need for a Denali if your gonna be driving around by yourself most the time, unless your a soccer mom. And be4 i get ripped for being only 17...im working for the car myself.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:51 AM
5th Gear

My first car was a mitsubishi galant '96 handed down from my stepdad. Then 2 years later i got my TL, I love it. its an awesome car, the only thing that i am mad about now is that i moved up to ny cause i want to go to college here, but my parents said I couldnt bring up my tl right away cause we didnt know where I can park it (there are never any empty spots around my block). So now I need to find a garage i can rent out near my apartment quick, i havent driven my tl for a month and a half, and i only had it for 5 months..... need parking fast!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 AM
Racer

a few years ago i wanted a sports coupe, but now its not just about speed its luxuary too.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:32 AM
Getting there

Originally Posted by TheDude_RENAMED
I'm juts giving thanks these kids don't want some godawful SUV monstrosity with ridiculous chrome rime. Young men should want fast car not soccer mom vehicles.

LMAO!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 AM
7th Gear

i'm 18 My first car was a 1990 lexus Ls400 V8 i guess i got used to 4 doors drove that lexus for to long lol.. And i really needed a new car Cause that car was a God dam GAS eater =[ Ate alot of my money for 2 years had it when i was 16.. I was looking for a car not so long ago i wanted a G35 but Then i was like eh... Then I saw The TL ... Next thing you know! 2 weeks later went back and got the TL =] Good choice to I LOVE my TL
Old 07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Back for the first time

wow lol this thread is 4 years old!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Racer

So?? didn't you find it an interesting read?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:48 AM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im 18 and this is my 2nd TL.. my 1st was a 03 tl type s. i've just always loved this car.. never really been into coupes. always sedans. tl is luxurious and somewhat sporty. haha i'd get a GS if i could but tl will do
Old 07-20-2008, 04:48 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn. I was 13 when this thread was created.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by ifirahse
Damn. I was 13 when this thread was created.
So I take it now your 17 and own a TL........
Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
im 20 and the TL is my first car. did everything with it from learning to drive to taking it to the DMV to take my drivers license test. My parents bought this car when i was in my junior year in highschool (2004/5). My parents drove it for a good year and then when i finally hit my senior year i was gonna get a 05 rsx-s but after looking around and didnt find a "decent price" my mom decided to hand the TL over to me. So far i love it only been in 1 accident which some lady hit me from behind while i was at a light.. but other than that :thumps up:
Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

I've always liked sedans, never liked coupes that much. My first car was a 1997 Accord, then a 2001 Galant , then got the 05 TL after the transmission blew in the Galant.

I have odd tastes in cars according to friends. I was going to buy a Volvo, but out of my price range & got the Galant. When the Galant went, I wanted a Volvo S60 AWD, but couldn't find one that I liked, so I got the TL.

Sedans are more convenient with the space. Coupes suck when you have rear passengers; you have to move the seat to let someone in & out. Carpooling with 2doors isn't fun. My brother has a Camaro, always loved them, but now he's finally looking at sedans.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 AM
iScrape going into

21st Century Bro, kids don't rock old station wagons anymore.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
WDP is sexy!!

My 03 tls is my first car and I am loving it. One thing that pisses me off is that I bought it 4 years ago for $20,000 and at that time I didnt see too many on the road, but now its like a civic. I see one everywhere!!!! Maybe its because you can get a tl for as low as $6,000-$10,000 now. Nonetheless its a beast but its getting old, so I might get the new TLS or upgrade higher and get an m5, but have to wait at least another year to come up with more down payment for that.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my first car was a 85 mazda 626. nice for a first car, but then i wanted something a little more sportier.. went to a crx si, then off to the 94, 96 and 2000 civic coupes.. now i'm back around to the 4 doors, which was always my first love!!

Quick Reply: TL vs. Drivers Under 22