Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs Chevy-T-boned by driver that tried to hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TL vs Chevy-T-boned by driver that tried to hit and run

I was driving to Spanish class Friday when out of the blue a large chevy front end appeared in my driver's side rear side window and I heard a sickening crunch and the TL was pushed sideways. Some guy pulled out of a business without looking and crushed the rear driver's side door of my pristine 07 TL. We stopped cars and both got out and I started walking ahead to talk to the driver. When I got near his car he suddenly jumped back in and drove off quickly.

The TL was driveable and there was no fricking way I was going to let this guy escape. He tried to evade me in traffic but couldn't outrun the TL. After weaving in the traffic I was able to get driectly behind him and got the tag number. I kept on his bumper for another mile and he suddenly pulled over. It was a kid about 17 years old and was profusely apologizing for the incident. I called 911, got his insurance card and all necessary info. Gotcha MF!!

He called his mom who brought along a friend, a big friend that smelled of alcohol and was rude and threatening. The cops never came despite another call to 911. The friend gave me a piece of paper with some info and wanted to drive off. As soon he was exiting the parlking area the police arrived and stopped him. It was determined that the accident was the kids fault and he actually had insurance.

I have an appointment with the Geico adjuster in the morning and will make another post for advice on repairs (door skin vs used door and repaint) The Acura recommended bodyshop says that there is no way that Geico will pay for a new door. We'll see in the morning. Feel free to add repair advice on this post.

I really needed the TL's speed and agility not to lose that guy but it pisses me off that my car was damaged.

Chalk one up for the TL, it saved the day, catching they guy, keeping me safe and not getting a hit on my insurance.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
good to hear that you made it out ok and that the TL was driveable. People who run from accidents like that don't deserve to drive, its sickening and rude that someone can even think that when they damage another person's property. Its good the Po-po finally came and got the kid before he left for the second time.

What I do is carry a disposable camera in the car so in the event of an accident, you can grab a photo of the plate ASAP and also the damage done to your vehicle. also non-digital is good so there are no easy ways to alter it.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
that kid got but man you're lucky neither of you got into a bigger accident weaving through traffic.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
damn man sorry to hear.... but youre lucky you didnt get charged for leaving the scene of the accident as well. but i hope it all works out for you.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Sounds like the kid was scared but still wrong to leave. No one wins in this situation. Your driving skills were probably better than his is another reason why you caught him. When he realized he wasn't going to loose you is when he pulled over. Good thing he did, for both of you. Glad everyone's okay and I hope all goes well with your repairs. Accidents are no fun and I hope this kid learned something.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm surprised the cops didn't show up quicker for a hit and run especially with you chasing them. Sounded like it ended well though.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
goodluck with it all...glad ur ok man! make sure the make the car perfect again
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
HOME SWEET HOME....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad ur ok man... my experience with geico is that they'll try to take the cheapest way out... hope everything turns out good for u though
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when i got into an accident. i made my appointment for the adjuster to come AT MY BODYSHOP. the guy already did his own estimate and handed that to the adjuster and the adjuster used that estimate.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
fucking bastard! that's all he got? what about the chasing part? I thought hitting and running was a felony? at least things turned out well dude! that just isn't right...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

Some lady hit me from the side driving my camry and there was a small dent because we were both going pretty slow. It was clearly her fault and she was insured from Geico. They had me take it in to a Geico approved repair shop and the repair shop estimated the damage at $800 and Geico sent me a check in the mail for $800!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by thcmagik
damn man sorry to hear.... but youre lucky you didnt get charged for leaving the scene of the accident as well. but i hope it all works out for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Racer

Wink

Talked to the bodyshop and a friend that works for the Acura Dealership and both agreed that it would be better to get a used (non damaged) door instead of replacing the door skin. The bodyshop was able to find one quickly and it will be here Friday.

The Geico adjuster seemed to be a nice guy and approved the used door although it cost more than the skin. They gave me a rental upgrade to a full size car. Everybody has been easy to deal with so far except Enterprise car rental but I'll take care of that tomorrow.

The TL goes into the shop Monday morning. I hope they do a good job on the repair.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
wtf.. that sucks bro.. I'm glad you caught that little prick.. my buddy got rear ended by a drunk asshole.. he walked back and knocked on the guys window and the dude looked like he was stoned / in shock - just staring forward without moving or saying a word.. then the asshole drove off like nothing happened.. my buddy had a snapped axle so he couldn't follow him.. the police later tracked the guy down.. drunk / no license / no insurance .. wtf.. The U.S. should have public canings. seriously.

btw.. next time a big drunk asshole approaches you.. bring out the breaker bar / taser gun.. lol. no brainer.. sober guy or big belligerent drunk a-hole.. who to take to jail? hmm.. glad you're okay and hopefully your car will be squared away soon.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
good to hear that you made it out ok and that the TL was driveable. People who run from accidents like that don't deserve to drive, its sickening and rude that someone can even think that when they damage another person's property. Its good the Po-po finally came and got the kid before he left for the second time.

What I do is carry a disposable camera in the car so in the event of an accident, you can grab a photo of the plate ASAP and also the damage done to your vehicle. also non-digital is good so there are no easy ways to alter it.
I'm buying one tommorow. I've heard enough of these stories.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow what a story. glad you caught up to that a-hole and hope you fix your car to perfection...keep us updated and GL.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Uhm that bastard of a kid should have been charged with hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident.

If your state allows, sue for diminished value and take it to a body shop that you KNOW will repair car properly

here in MN it's two felony charges to do what that kid did not to mention the car must be repaired to pre accident condition and used door is NOT pre accident condition
Old 03-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Using a used door to replace a used door is not pre-accident condition?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance

Yea...I can't stand that! Man up and take responsibility! At least you got him...good work
Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Using a used door to replace a used door is not pre-accident condition?
so if they decide to use a blue door repainted to white on the car that is pre accident condition?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
that kid should've been locked up for trying to run..... f@#$ing retard
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
nobodies said it so...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
so if they decide to use a blue door repainted to white on the car that is pre accident condition?
I was careful getting information on the repair. They prep the used door removing all the paint, everything is repainted and should look like new. Without having door frame damage making the door not fit correctly, the insurance company just refuses to provide a new door and I'm not in the mood for a long legal fight. The bodyshop is a good one and recommended by the dealership that I've used for years. The shop doesn't want a pissed off customer or lose the dealership's business and the dealership doesn't want to lose my business. This is acura number 6 or 7, I can't remember.

I hate that the car was damaged but I think that everything will be ok.

Last edited by jazzpicker; 03-26-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fulani has a TL
nobodies said it so...
There is always one of these on the forum.

Sorry. I'll try to get a pic or two but they are not very exciting.