3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you have the similar issue? If yes, what part of VIN is associated with your car?
04:<10k
5.68%
04:10001~20k
1.14%
04:20001~30k
1.14%
04:30001~40k
3.41%
04:40001~50k
2.27%
04:50001~60k
1.70%
04:60001~70k
1.70%
04:70001~80k
0%
04:>80k
1.70%
05:<10k
0%
05:10001~20k
1.14%
05:20001~30k
1.14%
05:>30k
0.57%
No Problems...
78.41%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

TL unstable with passengers (3G TL Garage# D-055)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ONAGER
it is safe, the car wont spin out unless you are abusing it, this is essentially true for all cars. they will bite you if your not careful.

this is a design issue, EVERY suspension design has its flaws.

take solid rear axles, great for drag racing, good on smooth roads. but if you take a cornor that has some bumps in it and the car can jump over a few feet or even come around on you.... why? one tire upsets the other as they are joined by a soild rear axle....

my old 280zx had semi trailing arms with coil srings and struts, while this design laid the power down pretty well, if you let off the gas mid turn, the suspension would unload so fast, you were swapping ends before you even realized it was happening.... and yes i have done that many times, a few on the track and a few out on the streets....

its all a comprimise, you have to live with the design faults, but you cant say acura is negligent just for choosing this design, especially when it better then most

Look at pics. How do you like it???
Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 AM
professional TL driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A-TLvic882
Look at pics. How do you like it???
i have looked at the pics, those are some really scrubbed tires..... bluenosers car has an issue.... and his links show that acura has a toe limit for both unweighted and weighted. unweighted his came ok ok, weighted his came out 14 times higher then what it should be... thats a component issue not a design issue. that can be read in the first link rets provided.... his car is over the top because something aint right. why else would acura have limits for weighted as well? either something is bent in his car, or he has a bushing issue. i would continue to talk to acura in his case..... it is supposed to be a very small amt, in his post they recomended .09 inches and his was almost 1.3 weighted!!!!! the wheels were pointing in something fierce.... again not a design failure a particular car issue

now with vdubgruven tires, he didnt say if the it was weighted or not.... the geometry changes with weight.... like above bluenosers unweighted was good, weighted bad.... again an issue with that car. maybe there was a run of bad bushings, i dont know....

i know my yoko (aspec wheels) are towards the end of their life, i probably have another 6k in them. they have 13000 on them, and they so far have worn well, i also rotate them every 6k, sometimes sooner if i see something i dont like....

this is the same basic suspension in the accord, and they have been around a year longer then the tl thats alot of pissed off people if theres an error.... but as you will notice most are not having issues

i would recommend getting the car aligned again, weighted and unweighted to see where it falls.... you might have one same component out of whack that is causing the issue
Old 02-03-2005, 07:16 AM
5th Gear

Vote

As my previous notes say, I have a problem ... I'm out of town and can't vote, but I'll try to call home and get my vin.

How do you suggest testing? My problem was on interstate, slick road ... not easy to duplicate, until it's too late.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:07 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by indyman
As my previous notes say, I have a problem ... I'm out of town and can't vote, but I'll try to call home and get my vin.

How do you suggest testing? My problem was on interstate, slick road ... not easy to duplicate, until it's too late.
take it to acura, have them take a peak, ask for it to be check weighted (with at least 4 people in the car) and unweighted (empty) this will allow them to check the suspension settings thru its entire normal operating range.... some peoples cars are coming out fine unweighted, but way over spec weighted..... like over and 1" to much pointing in
Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, how much of a problem is this, is it wide spread? Also I know there are no major differenced between 04-05(maybe some bugs worked out) but are these all on 04 or 05s too. Also, when do the 06' come out, maybe it will be corrected by then.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Ok, how much of a problem is this, is it wide spread? Also I know there are no major differenced between 04-05(maybe some bugs worked out) but are these all on 04 or 05s too. Also, when do the 06' come out, maybe it will be corrected by then.
I don't believe Acura had any intention of changing the way the toe changes because they found it helpful to add stability during aggressive cornering.
Adding toe in to the rear wheels prevents oversteer and helps the rear end stay planted. I don't think Acura ever factored what this does to weighted cars going in a straight line. You get rear steering when you hit rolling bumps that load one side of the rear suspension at a time, causing the loaded tire to steer towards the center of the car. In my experience this is enough to cause a lane change if I didn't correct with steering.
In approximately 6,000 miles my car has worn out three sets of rear tires while travelling carrying passengers. In my 40 years of driving I've never experienced anything like this.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:10 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by bluenoser
I don't believe Acura had any intention of changing the way the toe changes because they found it helpful to add stability during aggressive cornering.
Adding toe in to the rear wheels prevents oversteer and helps the rear end stay planted. I don't think Acura ever factored what this does to weighted cars going in a straight line. You get rear steering when you hit rolling bumps that load one side of the rear suspension at a time, causing the loaded tire to steer towards the center of the car. In my experience this is enough to cause a lane change if I didn't correct with steering.
In approximately 6,000 miles my car has worn out three sets of rear tires while travelling carrying passengers. In my 40 years of driving I've never experienced anything like this.

i whole heartedly agree with you that the car will move around a bit more with a load in a straight line.... as i have previously stated, if you hit a bump the side that hits will compress and rebound, while the other side stays flat and because of its toe, will cause some steering with the back end....

as to your car wearing out tires so fast, i think there is an issue with your car that your dealer cant isolate.... have you tried another dealer? your car is way out of spec weighted and yet the cant find the problem?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI, most cars are set up to have more toe-in when the suspension is compressed, the Honda engineers must be laughing at this one.

Just look at the rear of any BMW, you can see from the rear that the tires till inward (towards the center) just siting stationary, and when accelerating from a light, the car squats and the tops of the tires move closer together.

I am not saying this what everyone is facing is not an issue, just don't take the tech issues out of context, too much toe in or toe out is a bad thing, and even I had issues with my rear tires starting to wear on the outside edges and the tire started to spit out chunks of ruber (ok, small ones, but again it was at the outside block of tread, closest to the outside of the car and only on the rears, where one might expect this on the front). That was with only 3k on the clock.

However, as I said, most cars are set to have more toe in when the suspension compresses
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

i whole heartedly agree with you that the car will move around a bit more with a load in a straight line.... as i have previously stated, if you hit a bump the side that hits will compress and rebound, while the other side stays flat and because of its toe, will cause some steering with the back end....

as to your car wearing out tires so fast, i think there is an issue with your car that your dealer cant isolate.... have you tried another dealer? your car is way out of spec weighted and yet the cant find the problem?
I wona see your face, when your expensive custom rear tire will be bold after vacation trip.

My car has worn out set of rear tires while travelling carrying passengers. And
and many TLers use to have this problem before, and now. 04 & 05 same car.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:56 PM
professional TL driver

I wona see your face, when your expensive custom rear tire will be bold after vacation trip.

My car has worn out set of rear tires while travelling carrying passengers. And

and many TLers use to have this problem before, and now. 04 & 05 same car.

i have made several trips with weight in the car.... i have gone from tampa to orlando and back with 5 on board.... got the pics if you want to see them....

i have gone from tampa to ft lauderdale with 4 in the car, 3 seperate times, there and back, wear has been the same.

i also drove to nc, and although i was in the car alone i had over 200 pds of stuff along with me....

so sorry to tell you, you can save the tomatos for another day....my tires are about as picture perfect as they come when it comes to wear....

acuras spec .08 inches would not cause a significant amt of wear, now 1.30 inches as bluenoser had is a significant issue.... his car has an issue.... mine doesnt.

have the dealer fix it... there getting paid to do so..... and if your dealer is in over there head, aka cant find the problem, find another dealer

if the car is well out of acura specs how can you blame the design? thats my only gripe.... your blaming a design, but the car isnt within those design specs....
Old 02-03-2005, 08:57 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by need4spd
FYI, most cars are set up to have more toe-in when the suspension is compressed, the Honda engineers must be laughing at this one.

Just look at the rear of any BMW, you can see from the rear that the tires till inward (towards the center) just siting stationary, and when accelerating from a light, the car squats and the tops of the tires move closer together.

I am not saying this what everyone is facing is not an issue, just don't take the tech issues out of context, too much toe in or toe out is a bad thing, and even I had issues with my rear tires starting to wear on the outside edges and the tire started to spit out chunks of ruber (ok, small ones, but again it was at the outside block of tread, closest to the outside of the car and only on the rears, where one might expect this on the front). That was with only 3k on the clock.

However, as I said, most cars are set to have more toe in when the suspension compresses
by the way when the tires are closer at the top then they are at the bottom, thats not toe, your talking about camber.... negative camber to be specific
Old 02-04-2005, 03:29 AM
Intermediate

My 04 6MT TL exhibits the problems described herein. As there are others that claim they don't see the problem, I'll be taking it into the dealer and raising a stink when the give me the standard "they all do that" response.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:37 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Called my local dealer, Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta, and spoke with a service manager. I have talked to him about this previously so he remembered my case. I asked him if I could come by and have them check the alignment weighted as well as unweighted. They won't do it, but I got some good news:

He said their equipment is somewhat antiquated and that they wouldn't be able to adjust the toe as accurately as I needed. He recommended Butler tire (or another aftermarket, performance shop) adjust it with their newer, more accurate equipment and that he would reimburse me. This way, it saves everybody time! Well, now I just have to get off before 4pm one day and get it done...
Old 02-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
Called my local dealer, Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta, and spoke with a service manager. I have talked to him about this previously so he remembered my case. I asked him if I could come by and have them check the alignment weighted as well as unweighted. They won't do it, but I got some good news:

He said their equipment is somewhat antiquated and that they wouldn't be able to adjust the toe as accurately as I needed. He recommended Butler tire (or another aftermarket, performance shop) adjust it with their newer, more accurate equipment and that he would reimburse me. This way, it saves everybody time! Well, now I just have to get off before 4pm one day and get it done...
My dealer claims that perfect total toe for unladen rear suspension is -.09 deg. Mine was -.05 deg. unladen and -1.3 deg. with passengers.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:04 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

My dealer claims that perfect total toe for unladen rear suspension is -.09 deg. Mine was -.05 deg. unladen and -1.3 deg. with passengers.
good info, bluenoser...I'll take this with me to the alignment shop. 'preciate ya
Old 02-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Instructor

i have made several trips with weight in the car.... i have gone from tampa to orlando and back with 5 on board.... got the pics if you want to see them....

i have gone from tampa to ft lauderdale with 4 in the car, 3 seperate times, there and back, wear has been the same.

i also drove to nc, and although i was in the car alone i had over 200 pds of stuff along with me....

so sorry to tell you, you can save the tomatos for another day....my tires are about as picture perfect as they come when it comes to wear....

acuras spec .08 inches would not cause a significant amt of wear, now 1.30 inches as bluenoser had is a significant issue.... his car has an issue.... mine doesnt.

have the dealer fix it... there getting paid to do so..... and if your dealer is in over there head, aka cant find the problem, find another dealer

if the car is well out of acura specs how can you blame the design? thats my only gripe.... your blaming a design, but the car isnt within those design specs....
I may have previously represented 1.3 deg. as 1.3" - my mistake, sorry.
Acura (to my knowledge) have not publicly identified what the toe should be for compressed rear suspensions.
I only have one dealer to choose from and I believe they are competent with mechanical issues (fixing squeaks and rattles is a whole different question). They claim, and have shown me, there is no damage to my rear suspension, no worn bushings or anything that does not comply with factory specs.
I don't believe a trip from Orlando to Tampa is long enough to get the extreme tire wear problem. In my case it took trips of between 1,000 - 2,200 miles to wear out tires.
Where this issue becomes a real safety issue is the first time I noticed this problem I was already driving with bald tires. Two days prior, I began my trip on new tires. Had it been raining on day two of my trip, I risked losing traction and going into a rear end skid (I was on the I95 and travelling at maximum traffic speed). If my trip destination was 500 miles farther my tires would have worn into, or possibly through, the cords. You really don't expect going from new tires to bald in two days driving on the interstates.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

I may have previously represented 1.3 deg. as 1.3" - my mistake, sorry.
Acura (to my knowledge) have not publicly identified what the toe should be for compressed rear suspensions.
I only have one dealer to choose from and I believe they are competent with mechanical issues (fixing squeaks and rattles is a whole different question). They claim, and have shown me, there is no damage to my rear suspension, no worn bushings or anything that does not comply with factory specs.
I don't believe a trip from Orlando to Tampa is long enough to get the extreme tire wear problem. In my case it took trips of between 1,000 - 2,200 miles to wear out tires.
Where this issue becomes a real safety issue is the first time I noticed this problem I was already driving with bald tires. Two days prior, I began my trip on new tires. Had it been raining on day two of my trip, I risked losing traction and going into a rear end skid (I was on the I95 and travelling at maximum traffic speed). If my trip destination was 500 miles farther my tires would have worn into, or possibly through, the cords. You really don't expect going from new tires to bald in two days driving on the interstates.

It 's a real safety issue, not every one checking rear tires tread on gas station on trips of between 1,000 - 2,200 miles.

Originally Posted by crazymjb
yah, that could bring up a nasty class action suit and recall.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Anyway, don't you ususally get warantees on tires, still a hastle to have em fixed. I am not so concerned about the tires as I am handeling. Im one of three kids and I am sure we will have the car loaded a few times, with stuff in the trunk and a full tank of gas. My father is currently using a ford taurus, will he notice a negative difference in this car?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:24 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Soo as Bluenote posted

Originally Posted by Bluenote
Just a helpful word of advice for anyone with an SRS light coming on:

Get it checked ASAP. The airbags WILL NOT deploy in the event of an accident. The car should be considered unsafe to drive. Honda and Acura strongly urge their dealers to suggest to customers the car should not be driven until it is repaired.
all old cars without SRS unsafe to drive.

But rear suspension problem on soo many TL -- it's not recall and nasty class action suit, right - Bluenote???

Additional info

How about rear suspension and wheels problem? The car should be considered unsafe to drive or not?
Old 02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
5th Gear

Align

I took my car into my mechanic. The car was aligned properly...so that may help. However, he indicated his internal reading says their seems to be a problem with some '04's. As much to do with the rims as anything else. No real way to test to see if my problem is fixed, since my problem occured during specifc weather conditions.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Racer

I am glad to report I have not had this issue, I have had the trunk loaded down and two adults and my son in the rear, car was perfectly stable even at 80 mph and bumpy on/ off ramps. The car was squating a bit in the back but handled just fine. Good luck with your problem
Old 02-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Instructor

A friend of mine was riding in the back seat of my car and he also had noticed the ride in the back is a bit harsh
Old 02-13-2005, 10:21 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
I am glad to report I have not had this issue, I have had the trunk loaded down and two adults and my son in the rear, car was perfectly stable even at 80 mph and bumpy on/ off ramps. The car was squating a bit in the back but handled just fine. Good luck with your problem

1. How many miles did you have on your trip?
2. Did you check your rear tires before and after trip?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:48 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Well, last Thursday, I took the car to a high performance shop, Butler Tire on Roswell Road in ATL. Front right toe was .34! They set it back to .05 and everything has been better. Now, it is barely noticeable, and I mean BARELY. I would not notice this characteristic twitchiness had I not been exposed to such an extreme case of it. I plan on lowering soon, which will help alleviate this condition even more.

If your car jumps side to side as described above, get an alignment! More importantly, the toe should be checked very closely.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
Well, last Thursday, I took the car to a high performance shop, Butler Tire on Roswell Road in ATL. Front right toe was .34! They set it back to .05 and everything has been better. Now, it is barely noticeable, and I mean BARELY. I would not notice this characteristic twitchiness had I not been exposed to such an extreme case of it. I plan on lowering soon, which will help alleviate this condition even more.

If your car jumps side to side as described above, get an alignment! More importantly, the toe should be checked very closely.
Glad to know your issue could be corrected by this type of alignment. I heard some cases need more adjustments and time in order to fix this issue.

Edit: for the info below, good news.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by rets
Glad to know your issue could be corrected by this type of alignment.
oh, and, btw, Acura is reimbursing me for the alignment at Butler Tire (their recommendation)
Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by ITL
oh, and, btw, Acura is reimbursing me for the alignment at Butler Tire (their recommendation)
so in reality the rear suspension wasnt at fault?

good to hear glad an alignment help your case.... many times a proper repair will fix an issue. if your dealer doesnt have the right equipment find one that does....
Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

so in reality the rear suspension wasnt at fault?
yep, what I felt seemed to come from the back, but was actually caused by the front right toe being so off...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ITL

ITL,

Thanks very much for following up with what sounds like the solution to your problem. From your description, it did sound like a rear-suspension issue, but I can believe that a sizable amount of front toe-out could give you similar symptoms. (I'm assuming that the ".34" spec means 34 hundredths of an inch of toe-out, as opposed to the 5 thousands, which is a normal amount of toe-out for a FWD car.)

I'm also guessing that the to-out was aggravated by the heavy loading of the car, which tends to unweight the front end. If the front-end is designed to decrease toe-out as it compresses, then it would increase toe-out as it's unloaded (by the weight in the rear).

Bottom line: You took your car to a competent shop and (probably) got a major safety-related problem fixed. And your dealer was honest (eventually) about their ability to diagnose it.

Please let us know if you have a similar problem again.

Rick
Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Rick F.
ITL,

Thanks very much for following up with what sounds like the solution to your problem. From your description, it did sound like a rear-suspension issue, but I can believe that a sizable amount of front toe-out could give you similar symptoms. (I'm assuming that the ".34" spec means 34 hundredths of an inch of toe-out, as opposed to the 5 thousands, which is a normal amount of toe-out for a FWD car.)

I'm also guessing that the to-out was aggravated by the heavy loading of the car, which tends to unweight the front end. If the front-end is designed to decrease toe-out as it compresses, then it would increase toe-out as it's unloaded (by the weight in the rear).

Bottom line: You took your car to a competent shop and (probably) got a major safety-related problem fixed. And your dealer was honest (eventually) about their ability to diagnose it.

Please let us know if you have a similar problem again.

Rick

Your assumptions about my situation are correct. Everything has been fine since. I hope that this thread will give others some insight if they have similar problems. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ITL
Not sure what to think of this...

Rarely do I carry passengers in the back seat...this weekend I noticed very odd behavior from my TL.

Friday night, I had a couple in the back and whenever we drove over an irregular surface, bump, etc... the rear of the car would abruptly kick out to one side or the other. Saturday night, I had 3 people in the backseat and this effect was even more pronounced. It is very noticeable above 15mph and was unnerving enough that I didn't drive too much over 40mph. It seems like it would kick to one side, then the other over the next bump. I have not the slightest idea why this would be happening. The only thing I could think of was the lugs, but I went and checked them this morning, and all the nuts were tight. I'd say the rear is jerking maybe 1 to 3 inches- defintely jerks the car and makes for a nervous driver. The more weight in the back, the worse it gets...

-driving me nuts thinkin about what it could be
What the hell?!!! Is this an issue with all TL's? I hope mine won't have that problem once I've brought her home. I mean, this is a sedan, which is meant to carry some passengers. If my car will have this issue, Acura will hear from me very loudly.

This is a very serious and dangerous problem, not to be taken lightly. If it affects many TL's, there should be a recall or TSB for it. Goddamn! I hope it won't put my family in danger with this issue.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by EnigmaofTL
What the hell?!!! Is this an issue with all TL's? ...
Neither most of ppl or acura has said it's the issue. So far, we heard a few ppl having this issue. If there is TSB or recall, we will let you know.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never noticed it but will look now. Jeez how many issues can this car have?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

staying out of this forum and being the happy customer on roads. You will never know anything Acura doesn't want you to know. IMHO.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
I never noticed it but will look now. Jeez how many issues can this car have?

um, how many does it have compared to other cars...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

I have carried 2 and 3 people in the back seats several times and haven't experienced anything abnormal...except some weird smells.

Seriously though, if this were a real problem I would certainly think Acura/Honda would address it immediately. I started having issues with the tranny on my '01 CL-S just prior to them releasing the recall notice. However, I am so glad I got rid of that car for the TL!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

This is an uncommon problem. Occasionally a car will slip out of the factory with bad alignment. It's all automated assembly. My service manager said that the first time a person touches the TL is when it is being driven off the line.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:59 AM
professional TL driver

What the hell?!!! Is this an issue with all TL's? I hope mine won't have that problem once I've brought her home. I mean, this is a sedan, which is meant to carry some passengers. If my car will have this issue, Acura will hear from me very loudly.

This is a very serious and dangerous problem, not to be taken lightly. If it affects many TL's, there should be a recall or TSB for it. Goddamn! I hope it won't put my family in danger with this issue.
read the whole thread.... its not a car or design issue.... many of the problems people are reporting will be fixed with a visit to a good alignment shop... alignment can change or be off from the factory (probably not likely though). a couple people have reported issue gone with an alignment.... so no this is not a tl issue per say....
Old 02-19-2005, 04:06 AM
Intermediate

read the whole thread.... its not a car or design issue.... many of the problems people are reporting will be fixed with a visit to a good alignment shop... alignment can change or be off from the factory (probably not likely though). a couple people have reported issue gone with an alignment.... so no this is not a tl issue per say....
If it is indeed an alignment problem, I would certainly hope that Acura will align mine for free. It's a new car, they need to do whatever to make the car safe and free of defects; that means doing free alignments.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If it is indeed an alignment problem, I would certainly hope that Acura will align mine for free. It's a new car, they need to do whatever to make the car safe and free of defects; that means doing free alignments.
So far, most of them got free alignment works done, if not, dealers would refer you to the special equipment shops or reimburse you...

Quick Reply: TL unstable with passengers (3G TL Garage# D-055)