Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by GrimFandango
I believe her son is her biggest accomplishment. But the 4G FWD TL 2012 3.5L 280HP 4 door sports car comes second.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
I have driven one when I received one as a loaner, I couldn't wait to get back into my old TL, that car was junk inside and out. I would never consider buying that car and most car magazines rate it the ugliest car made next to the Pontiac Aztek. And a 2012 FWD TL is not a sports car by ANY means. First of all its a FWD car, have you seen the torque steer that car has? How can you even consider it a sports car? Just because it has a MT? I guess the corolla with the MT is also a sports car. I mean okay if you have the SH-AWD I would understand because that car handles good, but the FWD is awful.

And lol at your post "cars get ugly quick when you can't afford them". I haven't seen anyone use that before, I guess everyone can afford ferraris, lamborghini, bugatti because no one says those are ugly. Please stop thinking you are above everyone because you are LEASING a FWD 2012 TL. Its not even SH-AWD. I guess leasing a 2012 FWD TL was a big accomplishment in your life.

This is where you belong https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/. Please stay there and never come back!
Well that is called, an opinion. I love my car inside and out. Personally, I don't care for the boxy design of the third generation TL but that is my opinion and I don't bash others for liking the car...it's called, maturity.

The Acura TL is classified as a luxury sports sedan and insurance companies most definitely see it in the same way. I am not going to argue over your denial of the car's classification. It is not a pure sports car like a Porche couple etc. but it is a sports sedan. I have looked at many reviews of the 2012 Acura TL and all of them liked the style refresh and believe the TL is a lot of car for a good price. All that matters to me is that I love it. I don't care what you think of the car. Additionally, there are a lot of Acurazine members that like their TL.

It is so childish to segregate people in car classes. I don't belong anywhere. I go to whatever thread is interesting to me and wheret I feel I can contribute. Grow up. Playing this site like there are cliques of members is so high school.

Also you need to stop making generalized statements like, "...everybody can afford Ferraris because no one says those are ugly". That is classic "clique talk", speaking for everyone else. If I had the money for a Ferrari or Lamb., I wouldn't buy one. To me, they are great to look at but not to drive. But that is my opinion and I am not speaking for everyone else.

As for me purchasing the FWD model vs the SHAWD. I purchased the FWD model because it was all the car I needed. I don't buy excessive things I don't want or need. Instead, I put the savings towards something else I want. Many on Acurazine deem the SHAWD as necessary...I don't. Again, point here again is everyone's unique. Gravitating towards what you believe "everyone" likes, will lead to a miserable life. The things I have, make me happy...not everybody else.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GrimFandango
I believe her son is her biggest accomplishment. But the 4G FWD TL 2012 3.5L 280HP 4 door sports car comes second.
Actually, the order in which I see things are God, my son, my husband, myself, my career, our home, and then maybe the Acura.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First car... crown vic.... And id recommend it to anyone. Cheap, has plenty of power, Rear wheel drive to teach car control and have SOME fun, and more importantly its stupid safe.

My TL was my toy
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
I live in MN and the road conditions vary day by day. So I drove my Winter mobile SUV for the past 4 days M-Thursday. I just took the TL out today because the temps are above freezing and I missed the way the TL drives. The SUV is more sound for a teenager (in terms of gas prices probably not, but the TL uses Premium so the cost is relatively similar but after doing some math, its still cheaper to drive the TL with premium).

Moral of the story, but what you want to buy but beware, car's need maintenance and care. If you leave the car parked in the high school parking lot you will have a ton of jealous people hitting / key'ing etc etc but if you drove a junker to school, you would not have much emotional attachment towards those things. I would at least wait until you are out of HS before buying a nicer car.

PS - An Acura is a Lexus
The following users liked this post:
AnyaBoo (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Well, thank you everyone for a good read. Funny thread is funny. I kept wondering why it kept cropping up on the top of the 3G TL general forum.

To the OP, I'm with 95% of everyone else in here saying a TL-S probably isn't a good first car. My opinion is largely based on the fact that it's a poor financial decision. This is regardless of whether you or your parents are purchasing it. If it's you purchasing, then you should buy something less expensive and save/invest whatever you would have spent. If it's your parents then they're inadvertently screwing you up by spoiling you. Everyone should remember this quote, especially those of us who are parents of kids that are growing up:

"The best way a parent can screw up their childs ability to manage money and have a successful and happy future is to spoil them."

^ This is true. I've seen it many many times. It will goof them up for life and you'll have no one to blame but yourself. Almost all of these people start out "rich" but now they're broke as hell. BTW, by spoil I obviously don't mean spending lots of time with them or rewarding them for an accomplishment. I'm talking about large tangible objects or money which is either undeserved or inappropriate for someone their age.

Either way, I don't know your situation or maturity level so much of the above is borderline on thread derailment. But a TL for someones first car is a bad idea in probably 99% of any given circumstance.
AnyaBoo (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
yep. I would say cost per mile for a TL is double that of a civic, when considering maintenance and gas. However the TL would have a lower cost per mile than the father's G37.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
First car...'67 Olds 442...I thought I could handle the power...blew the motor 3 days after buying it...missed a shift and threw a rod. That was an expensive $900 lesson for an 18 yr. old kid. It was my $900 bucks too. Then I went out and bought a '66 Malibu SS, babied that girl...a friend has it now, fully restored and a rocket ship.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
First car...'67 Olds 442...I thought I could handle the power...blew the motor 3 days after buying it...missed a shift and threw a rod. That was an expensive $900 lesson for an 18 yr. old kid. It was my $900 bucks too. Then I went out and bought a '66 Malibu SS, babied that girl...a friend has it now, fully restored and a rocket ship.
respect
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, thank you everyone for a good read. Funny thread is funny. I kept wondering why it kept cropping up on the top of the 3G TL general forum.

To the OP, I'm with 95% of everyone else in here saying a TL-S probably isn't a good first car. My opinion is largely based on the fact that it's a poor financial decision. This is regardless of whether you or your parents are purchasing it. If it's you purchasing, then you should buy something less expensive and save/invest whatever you would have spent. If it's your parents then they're inadvertently screwing you up by spoiling you. Everyone should remember this quote, especially those of us who are parents of kids that are growing up:

"The best way a parent can screw up their childs ability to manage money and have a successful and happy future is to spoil them."

^ This is true. I've seen it many many times. It will goof them up for life and you'll have no one to blame but yourself. Almost all of these people start out "rich" but now they're broke as hell. BTW, by spoil I obviously don't mean spending lots of time with them or rewarding them for an accomplishment. I'm talking about large tangible objects or money which is either undeserved or inappropriate for someone their age.

Either way, I don't know your situation or maturity level so much of the above is borderline on thread derailment. But a TL for someones first car is a bad idea in probably 99% of any given circumstance.
This here is a great post! I agree 100%. Buy something reasonable and invest savings for a down payment on a house after you graduate from college. Or put it to use to help with your college expenses. Right now you need to be focused on school to get a great education so you can buy the things you want in the future. Even if your parents purchase it, it is not good as they won't be around forever and you need to learn how to support yourself. Something reasonable to get you from point A to point B safely is all you need right now.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM
A6 and TL

Don't listen to all these people. As Gwhizkid put it perfectly most of these guys are over 30 financing their 6 year old car and are jealous that some 16 year old is going to be driving the same (or better) car and will be debt free. Enjoy it live it up. Do you want to remember your teen years as driving around in a hooptie or a nice car like the TL? Just remember that bitches don't like hoopties.

No one in high school wil be jealous of a 5 year old TL lol. Most kids these days have very nice cars and I am sure wherever the OP lives he won't have a problem. A TL is not really a car that stands out, its a upscale Honda (nothing wrong with that) but it does not grab anyones attention. No ones gonna go "oh look at that kid and his 07 type s lets go scratch it".

There is really no expensive upkeep on these cars. Just do the oil changes and basic fluid changes...... the most expensive service is the 105k service and even that is under 2 grand. Premium fuel vs regular fuel is a stupid argument, the difference between regular/premium is at most $12.....$12 don't kill anyone.

And to everyone saying "parents spoiling" or whatever nonsense how is it any different from a parent buying their a kid a BRAND NEW civic vs a 5 year old TL? Just because the brand is Acura the parents are screwing up the child for failure.....but its okay if they buy a kid a brand new civic? Pretty lame logic, I hint jealousy behind that.

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 11-30-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Drifting

And to everyone saying "parents spoiling" or whatever nonsense how is it any different from a parent buying their a kid a BRAND NEW civic vs a 5 year old TL?
I'd agree with that. Nothing different there. Not sure where you got the new Civic idea from though. Wouldn't do that either . I'd go with a 7 year old Civic for $4000. Actually scratch that - I'd make them pay at least half. I plan on the deal being that I'll put in whatever you put in. So if my boy saves up 10K, I'll put in 10K. But at that age it's unlikely. He'll probably save up 2-3K and I'll chip in another 2-3K so he'll be able to get a decent car. That's better than what I had. I had to pay cash on my first car. No help at all from my parents.

But I'm a pretty mean Dad. I'm not paying for my kids college and I'm not buying them a new car when they're 16. Parents should be like the government in that way; there to help but not there to hand everything out. I plan on helping my kids more than my parents did because I'm considerably better off financially than they were. But there's no way I'm going to buy them a $20K car when they're 16. I'll help them find a nice car, I'll co-sign with them if necessary, I'll help them with insurance if needed, but the key word is "help" not "give". I've got plenty of money but won't be giving a dime of it to my kinds until they can show me responsibility and maturity.

And as far as jealously goes, I get jealous just like everyone else. But it's about different things. Like Dave Ramsey says: "The paid off home mortgage has replaced the BMW as the status symbol of choice". <- This is me. I'm jealous of large retirement accounts and paid off debt. But cars? If someone handed me an S6 or M3 I'd sell it, buy my TL then put the rest in my retirement or pay down my house (well, maybe I'd keep 10K to mod the heck out of TL ). The most jealous I am of cars is Inaccurate with his 3' single exhaust. He lost 27 lbs. with that thing
The following 3 users liked this post by losiglow:
Aretardedorange (11-30-2012), lastcall190 (11-30-2012), TLtrigirl (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Don't listen to all these people. As Gwhizkid put it perfectly most of these guys are over 30 financing their 6 year old car and are jealous that some 16 year old is going to be driving the same (or better) car and will be debt free. Enjoy it live it up. Do you want to remember your teen years as driving around in a hooptie or a nice car like the TL? Just remember that bitches don't like hoopties.

No one in high school wil be jealous of a 5 year old TL lol. Most kids these days have very nice cars and I am sure wherever the OP lives he won't have a problem. A TL is not really a car that stands out, its a upscale Honda (nothing wrong with that) but it does not grab anyones attention. No ones gonna go "oh look at that kid and his 07 type s lets go scratch it".

There is really no expensive upkeep on these cars. Just do the oil changes and basic fluid changes...... the most expensive service is the 105k service and even that is under 2 grand. Premium fuel vs regular fuel is a stupid argument, the difference between regular/premium is at most $12.....$12 don't kill anyone.

And to everyone saying "parents spoiling" or whatever nonsense how is it any different from a parent buying their a kid a BRAND NEW civic vs a 5 year old TL? Just because the brand is Acura the parents are screwing up the child for failure.....but its okay if they buy a kid a brand new civic? Pretty lame logic, I hint jealousy behind that.
I'm not sure where you grew up or went to school (perhaps you still go to school, since you seem to excrete childishness?), but my high school was full of "hoopties". I went to a school with 2000 kids, very few, of whom, drove anything relatively decent.

Most of the "30 somethings" in here speak from experience rather than a biased jealous opinion, which you're accusing of. The word of many can't be wrong, whereas you, sir, stand out in the crowd .

P.s. - comments like "bitches dont like hoopties" doesn't help your cause.
The following 3 users liked this post by Guiltyox:
BeezleTL85 (11-30-2012), GKinColo08TL (11-30-2012), TLtrigirl (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by NvrDwn
USAA, if your able to. That goes for everyone else as well. Best car insurance on the planet.
Couldn't agree more. Had them since I was 15.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
I'm not sure where you grew up or went to school (perhaps you still go to school, since you seem to excrete childishness?), but my high school was full of "hoopties". I went to a school with 2000 kids, very few, of whom, drove anything relatively decent.

Most of the "30 somethings" in here speak from experience rather than a biased jealous opinion, which you're accusing of. The word of many can't be wrong, whereas you, sir, stand out in the crowd .

P.s. - comments like "bitches dont like hoopties" doesn't help your cause.
Maybe you went to school many years ago or maybe school/people in SC are different I am not sure but where I went to school we had a different situation. We had over 5000 kids at our high school and barely any "hoopties".

A hooptie if you read my previous post I refer to a unsafe, unreliable car that does not benefit any child and is a danger to them as a new driver and from a reliability stand point. Maybe your folks and or folks in your town thought differently but people around here don't put there kids in $1k cars that will break down/not have any safety features. I don't know any parents like that to be honest, would you feel safe putting your child in a broken down beater? I sure wouldn't.

The bolded part I highlighted in your post was a joke. No need to get serious with that.

Originally Posted by losiglow
I'd agree with that. Nothing different there. Not sure where you got the new Civic idea from though. Wouldn't do that either . I'd go with a 7 year old Civic for $4000. Actually scratch that - I'd make them pay at least half. I plan on the deal being that I'll put in whatever you put in. So if my boy saves up 10K, I'll put in 10K. But at that age it's unlikely. He'll probably save up 2-3K and I'll chip in another 2-3K so he'll be able to get a decent car. That's better than what I had. I had to pay cash on my first car. No help at all from my parents.

But I'm a pretty mean Dad. I'm not paying for my kids college and I'm not buying them a new car when they're 16. Parents should be like the government in that way; there to help but not there to hand everything out. I plan on helping my kids more than my parents did because I'm considerably better off financially than they were. But there's no way I'm going to buy them a $20K car when they're 16. I'll help them find a nice car, I'll co-sign with them if necessary, I'll help them with insurance if needed, but the key word is "help" not "give". I've got plenty of money but won't be giving a dime of it to my kinds until they can show me responsibility and maturity.

And as far as jealously goes, I get jealous just like everyone else. But it's about different things. Like Dave Ramsey says: "The paid off home mortgage has replaced the BMW as the status symbol of choice". <- This is me. I'm jealous of large retirement accounts and paid off debt. But cars? If someone handed me an S6 or M3 I'd sell it, buy my TL then put the rest in my retirement or pay down my house (well, maybe I'd keep 10K to mod the heck out of TL ). The most jealous I am of cars is Inaccurate with his 3' single exhaust. He lost 27 lbs. with that thing
I appreciate the the reply. I hope I did not come as offensive towards you in anyway, that was not my intention. Its cool to see another point of view.

I respect your view.

I was calling out the other people that were saying a new Honda is a much better option. I was saying a new Honda and a 5 year old Honda (literally) are the same thing lol, so I didn't get why they were saying to get a new Honda when the Type S would be pretty much the same.

To all that are saying to get a cheap beater garbage, would you feel okay giving your child a car that will potentially be unreliable and not have any safety features? I sure wouldn't and that is the point I am trying to make. A student needs a reliable car that gets them from point A to point B, a hooptie would not work, if its a cold climate the car can have issues in the snow, starting, etc. I would not feel okay giving my child a car like that, imagine they are stuck somewhere in the cold in that junk and god forbid as everyone said "nearly all first cars are crashed", that car will have no safety features. I rather spend some $$$ and keep my child safe. Just my view on the whole thing.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-01-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
My first "1k" car was extremely reliable....1994 Nissan Sentra. I paid $900 for it :-D. Granted the AC worked on 'Off' or full blast, and some of windows didnt work (lol). I've lived in San Jose, California, life wasn't much different, not even the cost of living was different from here. The kids in my school all drove some variation of a 5-10+ year old car, worth little to nothing (with the exception of a few kids, of course).

I'm on the cusp of 24 years old, so it wasn't that long ago that I was in high school (6-7 years). I'm still a beh-beh!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
My first "1k" car was extremely reliable....1994 Nissan Sentra. I paid $900 for it :-D. Granted the AC worked on 'Off' or full blast, and some of windows didnt work (lol). I've lived in San Jose, California, life wasn't much different, not even the cost of living was different from here. The kids in my school all drove some variation of a 5-10+ year old car, worth little to nothing (with the exception of a few kids, of course).

I'm on the cusp of 24 years old, so it wasn't that long ago that I was in high school (6-7 years). I'm still a beh-beh!
LOL!

Well thats not too bad. Some friends that I have had that drive old "beater" cars around here in the tristate area have had many problems with driving in the snow, starting in the snow, etc. They were often late because car had problems, car was not working, and onetime one guy crashed his old car had no airbags he seriously hurt himself.

I just feel like its not safe to put a child whose learning to drive in a car like that. A newer car (even a bit more powerful) would be a better option.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
i dont see anyone mentioning buying a new civic anywhere but retardedorange...
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by ez12a
i dont see anyone mentioning buying a new civic anywhere but retardedorange...
Booney or something posted this

"
Originally Posted by 1black_seven
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...ashing-Ferrari

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...r-1st-day.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...fathers-grave/]

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Deer-...164897186.html

Younger drivers are more of a risk on the road. It's not really the car that is the issue it's the maturity of the driver.
But I would not couple a young driver with any kind of high performance car.

Why a TL-S?
Have you looked at a civic or even a nice accord?"

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Drifting

I agree with not putting my kid in an unsafe/unreliable vehicle. I got stuck on 1-80 in the middle of nowhere in the piece of turd minivan my wife's parents handed down to her. It was while coming home from Thanksgiving and it was probably 10F outside. Colder with the wind chill. Of course, we had no phone reception and after two hours of freezing you'd think the Highway Patrol would have driven by and noticed our hazard flashers. But no. Highway Patrol: Never there when you need them, always there when you don't. That should be the motto they stamp on the side of their cruisers. Anyway, we ended up hitchhiking into a po-dunk town in Utah then getting the van towed to the Kidney Foundation for free if we donated it. Good riddance to that POS Toyota Previa.

I think something in the 3-4K range with today's prices would get something nice but not be devastating if totaled. I'd say up to 10K would be appropriate if a kid saved up. Saving up even half that much money already shows responsibility and discipline. But $20k, well, again, quoting Dave Ramsey, "You should never buy a car that is more than half your annual income." I doubt any high schooner makes $40K a year.

And no worries. This is an online forum. No offense taken. Not to pretend I'm better than anyone else, but I believe the only people who get offended at anything are people who are either guilty of what they're being accused of, or not confident in their beliefs/opinions. And I'm quite confident in my opinions of financial maturity and how to build/destroy it.

But ultimately it's up to the OP what he decides to do. My perception of him from his posts is that he's got his head on straight. It's an exception to the rule but maybe a TL-S would be a good car for him. But if anyone want to place a wager on whether or not it will be wrecked in the first year, I'll be happy to place that bet.
TLtrigirl (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts

over 30 years of age yeh? BS most of doesn't matter you buy it via finance or not, honestly I could pay all cash for my Type S if I wanted to it just I need extra money on the side to spare in case something happened to you or set it on a side to buy a house, yes I said a house because you can't live in your car and soon you will need a place to settle down (you kid won't understand this until you guy get alot older) so what the point of spending alot for car. BTW I'm way under 30 and I am pretty sure that there are many member here who already paid off there car long time ago (if not paid in full when bought as new). The logic that these guy are made is that usually kid tend to get into trouble with car that has moderate power like several years ago I lost my HS friend when she pass away in an accident that involve her "Parent 350Z" smashing into a tree and the so call "I can handle the power" is obvious result. Please grow up and stop get offense by "spoil rich kid" no body care if you have alot of money.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,234 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhizkid
ITT: idiots.

OP asked if the TL-S was a good first car. No one asked you guys to judge his socioeconomic background, nor his maturity.

Another point: the TL is relatively old now. Don't feel butthurt because you are still making payments on that 40K TL while OP who is half your age and debt free in the driver's seat.

Welcome to the 21st century, people. Not everyone has to follow your success story and drive beaters to be the responsible adults you are now. Keep your shitty life advice for your children.
Oh, look. A 22 year old member arguing because he knows most of the replies in this thread hit exactly towards his demographic as young, irresponsible drivers instead of actually arguing for the OP, or so he claims. Hence why he retorts back with everyone just being "jelly".

And as if the advice of some young adult who bought a car he ended up not being to afford in the long run is so much more valuable.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll be the minority and say go for it. However it will be paid for, respect the car for what it can do and be responsible. You can get yourself in as much trouble in a beater as you can in the TL, it all comes does to the person.

FWIW, I bought mine at 20 but had 2-3 cars before it.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 PM
10th Gear

Im 16 and i want an 05-07 Acura TL all iv been doing on this forum is researching about it. I could never imagine trashing my car. What i'm worried about is the insurance thats going to be a shinny penny! Just from how respectful you guys are makes me want to get a TL for sure's just to be a real part of this community. I live with my grandma so i learned to respect what i have she does try her best to get me the best she can possibly can and when she does i take care of it.
It makes me so mad when kids get everything they want and just abuse it because they know they will get it again. I have to learn how to drive with my neighbor he has a class A license and the first day he let me drive was in his old jeep it might look like sh** but i was so excited to drive i didn't care. Now that i learned how to drive he lets me drive his new dodge dart and it caught me off guard on how much more power it had! Im so thankful he is the one thats teaching me how to drive because every one else in my family are the worst drivers.. he actually corrects me when i do something wrong and he tells me where i can improve etc.. but what i'm saying is i think i could manage the power the TL has and keep it maintained properly. Well OP if your mature enough to be able to handle the TL go for it but i do suggest you do a lot of research on which year you want to get.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 PM
10th Gear

sorry for all the mistakes i made i'm really tired from school.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts

Why must you troll this thread? Quit spewing your teen filled anger on these forums.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by IamaTL
Why must you troll this thread? Quit spewing your teen filled anger on these forums.
I am glad you did not respond with your usual "your point in moot" response. Guess you finally realized you had no idea what you were talking about.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
I am glad you did not respond with your usual "your point in moot" response. Guess you finally realized you had no idea what you were talking about.
why are you always so upset? I already explained what a moot point was and it was in perfect use each time. Stop being so ignorant, kid.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by xMoises
Im 16 and i want an 05-07 Acura TL all iv been doing on this forum is researching about it. I could never imagine trashing my car. What i'm worried about is the insurance thats going to be a shinny penny! Just from how respectful you guys are makes me want to get a TL for sure's just to be a real part of this community. I live with my grandma so i learned to respect what i have she does try her best to get me the best she can possibly can and when she does i take care of it.
It makes me so mad when kids get everything they want and just abuse it because they know they will get it again. I have to learn how to drive with my neighbor he has a class A license and the first day he let me drive was in his old jeep it might look like sh** but i was so excited to drive i didn't care. Now that i learned how to drive he lets me drive his new dodge dart and it caught me off guard on how much more power it had! Im so thankful he is the one thats teaching me how to drive because every one else in my family are the worst drivers.. he actually corrects me when i do something wrong and he tells me where i can improve etc.. but what i'm saying is i think i could manage the power the TL has and keep it maintained properly. Well OP if your mature enough to be able to handle the TL go for it but i do suggest you do a lot of research on which year you want to get.
i applaud you for your maturity. if you're already feeling that "power" out of a 4 cylinder dodge dart, then the V6 in the TL will surprise you even more. there is no doubt that you would take care of your car (whatever that may be). the issue is really handling the TL and making sound judgements when driving. it is great you have someone you trust to teach you and guide you as you learn the ways of the road.

i certainly took care of my so-called POS putt-putt car that i had in HS (it was out of necessity since i commuted to school 35 miles each way). it was functional and got me to school/practice/work. it was also slow as molassas but completely reliable. the car i took to college was a 5 yr old used civic HB with 93k mi. never left me stranded and i always took care of it for the 8 yrs i owned it. costs of ownership, insurance etc should be considered not only to you, but also to the OP. i was on my OWN car insurance plan and paying for it since i was 17 (due in part to my own personal circumstances).

girls aren't going to care what you drive (now or in the future, and if they do, then more than likely those are girls/women that are too shallow to really go beyond a one night stand), HS kids won't care that you're anal and don't want scratches and door dings in your nicer than avg ride. depending on where you live and where you go to school will dictate what is defined as nice car. anyway...in the end it's a choice and looking at the bigger picture should always be considered (finances, possibility of accidents etc).

good luck to you and the OP to whatever you may decide.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 12-01-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Acura_Dude (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Orange, dude, I've been reading your posts. I know you drive nice cars and that's awesome. I really like Losiglow's posts. But some of the stuff you posted didn't make much since. I have a kid myself and when I'm in my 30s, she'll be a teen and I know she's going to want a car. Nowadays cars are a lot safer than they were 10 or even 20 yrs ago. In the next 15 yrs they'll be even safer and I wouldn't mind getting her a 5-10 yr old car, but she has to be responsible, bring home good grades (to her ability), and just as important, RESPECTFUL. I haven't been out of HS that long myself, and there's a lot of kids who had nice cars, wrecked them, had an even nicer car handed to them, eventually killed that car doing something stupid. Majority of the kids (our generation and the next) have a sense of entitlement. They want everything, but aren't willing to put in the work to get it. I had a 95 camry and 95 accord (slow cars, but I did push them) in HS.

It'll be nice to drive a new A6, but it's not going to happen in this point in my life. It doesn't take a lot for teens to get jealous. At my HS if you seen someone driving a car with HIDs (factory) they had money. It's typically depends on the area. Acuras are great cars, but they come loaded so the kid ends up getting spoiled. I've heard friends who said they will not buy a car w/out leather and navigation. It's either the best or no go.

I also know "bitches don't like hoopties" and even though that's a joke it's still true to this day. Reminds me in HS when I knew girls that go for the guys with the nicer cars etc and wouldn't dare be caught dead in a busted vehicle. Me? PLEASE pick me up. My Accord is empty. No gas lol Dmoney go get your TL-S enjoy it, RESPECT it, have fun in HS, but don't do anything that could affect you later on in your 20s. BELIEVE me it'll hurt.

Have a good day everyone!

P.S. The majority of the kids I went to school with that had everything handed to them are now in jail, in debt trying to "keep up with the joneses," dont wanna leave home (have the means to, but sponge off of the parents), etc. I even have a friend who gets mad and cusses her mom out of she wants to go out and her mom doesn't want to watch the toddler. And when she does leave, she's gone for days while her mom is stuck watching HER kid. A lot of us (I include myself, because i'm no better granted I worked for my stuff) had to learn the hardway that you HAVE to get out and make it happen yourself.

Not bashing ANYONE, I've just notice my generation is LAZY. I'll do my best to raise my daughter and future kids differently. I want them to work up to their potential in life, because I won't live forever.
sauceja (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Racer

Learn How To Make it on Your Own

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Orange, dude, I've been reading your posts. I know you drive nice cars and that's awesome. I really like Losiglow's posts. But some of the stuff you posted didn't make much since. I have a kid myself and when I'm in my 30s, she'll be a teen and I know she's going to want a car. Nowadays cars are a lot safer than they were 10 or even 20 yrs ago. In the next 15 yrs they'll be even safer and I wouldn't mind getting her a 5-10 yr old car, but she has to be responsible, bring home good grades (to her ability), and just as important, RESPECTFUL. I haven't been out of HS that long myself, and there's a lot of kids who had nice cars, wrecked them, had an even nicer car handed to them, eventually killed that car doing something stupid. Majority of the kids (our generation and the next) have a sense of entitlement. They want everything, but aren't willing to put in the work to get it. I had a 95 camry and 95 accord (slow cars, but I did push them) in HS.

It'll be nice to drive a new A6, but it's not going to happen in this point in my life. It doesn't take a lot for teens to get jealous. At my HS if you seen someone driving a car with HIDs (factory) they had money. It's typically depends on the area. Acuras are great cars, but they come loaded so the kid ends up getting spoiled. I've heard friends who said they will not buy a car w/out leather and navigation. It's either the best or no go.

I also know "bitches don't like hoopties" and even though that's a joke it's still true to this day. Reminds me in HS when I knew girls that go for the guys with the nicer cars etc and wouldn't dare be caught dead in a busted vehicle. Me? PLEASE pick me up. My Accord is empty. No gas lol Dmoney go get your TL-S enjoy it, RESPECT it, have fun in HS, but don't do anything that could affect you later on in your 20s. BELIEVE me it'll hurt.

Have a good day everyone!

P.S. The majority of the kids I went to school with that had everything handed to them are now in jail, in debt trying to "keep up with the joneses," dont wanna leave home (have the means to, but sponge off of the parents), etc. I even have a friend who gets mad and cusses her mom out of she wants to go out and her mom doesn't want to watch the toddler. And when she does leave, she's gone for days while her mom is stuck watching HER kid. A lot of us (I include myself, because i'm no better granted I worked for my stuff) had to learn the hardway that you HAVE to get out and make it happen yourself.

Not bashing ANYONE, I've just notice my generation is LAZY. I'll do my best to raise my daughter and future kids differently. I want them to work up to their potential in life, because I won't live forever.
I was 16 years old in 1996, and my first car was 10 years old...it was a 1986 Hyndai Excel and it was a manual. It was a true hooptie. No air bags and the only safety feature was the seat belt. I liked that it was a four door sedan and it lasted until my senior year in high school. I took really good care of it. It was damaged when someone backed into it in the high school parking lot. I'm glad it was my first car and not my second car that I had to pay for with my own money. My second car was a 1993 Honda Civic and it lasted all the way through college. I had a $275 per month car payment on that car. My brother in law financed it for me at $10,000 even. My Dad paid the insurance in lieu of child support as I was living with my sister. I didn't work because HS was a full time job as I was taking 4 advanced placement courses and was often up late tending to the mountain of homework that was typically given. So you ask who paid? I did. I lost my mother to cancer when I was 15 years old. My mom was the full time care giver as my parents divorced awhile back. A portion of my Social Security check paid for the car. The rest went towards my food and clothing needs. I paid it off when I was 18 after I got insurance for my mother's death. I was grown at 15. Had to be because there was no one to take care of me if I fell so I grew up at 15 so I wouldn't screw up at 18 and be SOL.

I financed my first brand new car at 21 and it was a 2001 Honda Prelude. I was still in college but working an Engineering internship and had guaranteed full employment after graduation. I made the car payments on time, paid all my other bills like rent, credit cards, and food on time and had a balanced budget. I had a mixture of student loans and scholarships for tuition. My freshman year was paid in full by 13 scholarships I received.

When you lose a parent that was caring for you at a young age and the roof over your head and have to live with a sibling, you know if you screw up, that's it. Game over. This is the difference between spoiled and not spoiled. Kids these days get things they couldn't afford on their own knowing their parents are there to fall back on. My advice to the teens, you need to start learning to live as if your parents won't be here tomorrow because they will pass away at some point and you need to be sure you are ready financially for that. Even if they turn out to live long lives, you need to be prepared because tomorrow is not guaranteed to NO ONE. When I was your age, the thought of losing my mom was not real. I felt that she was strong and I watched her survive before, so when she did die, I was shocked beyond belief and all of a sudden, I was on my own.

What I wrote above is the experience coming from a 30 something that you should think long and hard about before clinging to your parents to get the TL.

Hoopties these day have all the necessary safety features. A 10 year old car these days have air bags as it is a 2002 model. Hell, my 1993 civic had air bags. And most teens have cell phones these days unlike my generation born in the early 80's late 70's so if the car breaks down, call for a tow. Even the most "reliable" cars can break down...they aren't bullet proof. If you don't have a cell phone, get one before you hop on the road. You can get a cheap one with emergency mins only if that is all you can afford.

Teens need cars with minimal distractions so they can focus on the road. Turning the heat or air on/off and tinkering with the radio are enough distractions. We don't need teens to play with NAV systems while they are driving or trying to make phone calls through the car...this is a recipe for disaster. Even grown folks end up crashing or near crashing after not seeing a car because they were busy looking at the NAV system.

You have your whole life ahead of you to get a luxury sedan. It means so much more when YOU worked hard to get it.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
it's fwd without an obscene amount of power, I think any kid could probably handle it. However on the repair angle, I'd stick to something cheaper.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
David_Dude

^I agree, AnyaBoo. You definitely went through a lot, but you made it, and you're that more appreciative. Sorry for your loss. My nephew lost his mom to breast cancer at 10 and then 3 yrs later, he lost his dad, my older brother to a aneurysm. He's been with us since 13. Now he's 18 and I try and keep him busy since we're so close in age. Great FB player. He's never been in any trouble. Graduating from HS in june.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 12-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
i hope he wreck his TL-S like all the young kids with nice cars do...

Tear it up....your young..you didnt buy it...Do burnouts....LIVE IT!!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM
David_Dude

Not cool. Don't wish bad luck on the kid.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
^I agree, AnyaBoo. You definitely went through a lot, but you made it, and you're that more appreciative. Sorry for your loss. My nephew lost his mom to breast cancer at 10 and then 3 yrs later, he lost his dad, my older brother to a aneurysm. He's been with us since 13. Now he's 18 and I try and keep him busy since we're so close in age. Great FB player. He's never been in any trouble. Graduating from HS in june.
Thank you Acura_Dude for your kind words. Your nephew has been through hell...OMG that is so hard! From your testimony, he is surviving and working hard. I know you will be so proud to see him walk down the aisle to get his diploma. After hell breaks loose in young people's lives, it is hard to stay on the straight and narrow path. Staying busy with school and sports and having extended family such as yourself to lend a helping hand makes a world of difference that lasts a lifetime. I commend you for taking care of your nephew during this time in his life...he will never forget you!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM
David_Dude

Thanks We spend a lot of time together. Plus he get's to play with my 14 month old daughter (I have custody). So he's surrounded by positive influence.

Dmoney, hope we didn't scare you away. Any update on getting a car yet? Did you go with the TL-S?
AnyaBoo (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,234 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by NavS
it's fwd without an obscene amount of power, I think any kid could probably handle it. However on the repair angle, I'd stick to something cheaper.
This is another issue people don't realize. 276Hp is more than enough to get yourself in trouble. People underestimate horsepower too much.
Undying Dreams (12-04-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
Yes please. This whole thread has gone full retard.

Quick Reply: Is the TL Type S okay for a first car?