3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL top speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factorty limited at 155mph...to answer you questioned!...........my chipped 98' ITR 163MPH!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

TLfourplay, we have about the same OD mileage and same fuel AVG .....SpecJACK!!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
He didnt go that fast unless he had removed the limiter somehow. The TL is limited to 150 (147 I am pretty sure to be exact) I know this because I have hit this limiter.
According to the reviews the '06 TL 6MT is electronically limited at 152 mph.

As long as it can go 150+, I'm proud.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

The '07 TL's dash gauges look so pretty. I think they look better than the previous gauge style.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

What's the top speed the 5th gear in the 6MT TL 3rd gen can handle? Do you use the 6th gear for top speed or 5th gear? I'm assuming 6th.

It would be nice if someone could tell me the max allowed speed for each gear, gear 1 ~ 6. The owner's manual doesn't say anything except for the one for driving Mrs. Daisy.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meowCat
What's the top speed the 5th gear in the 6MT TL 3rd gen can handle? Do you use the 6th gear for top speed or 5th gear? I'm assuming 6th.

It would be nice if someone could tell me the max allowed speed for each gear, gear 1 ~ 6. The owner's manual doesn't say anything except for the one for driving Mrs. Daisy.
I redlined 5th gear at 144mph and shifted to 6th only to get to 150..
Old 12-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

that's good to know.. thanks TLFourplay.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:28 AM
9th Gear

I know everyone is trying to figure out how the speed is possible...

Its complicated...

Started w/ a guy I know in San Antonio who was curious to see how the car CPU worked. He was in Dallas in late '05 and I was giving him a brief tour, that included the garage where my work car was being worked on (so that he could see the car). The two guy's that work on my beat car used to by a tech for Honda/Acura and started working for the city recently to supplement his income and especially the benefits... They plugged into both car's computers to see what made them tick... Long and behold the tech started asking if I wanted any features disabled or reprogrammed. Yes, like any car... The governor CAN BE DISABLED. I however would not recommend it. It took several hours and I ended up paying the guy big $$$ because he took a lot of time out of his day... Also, I am guessing this could be a warranty issue... So... With that said, I plan to have it re-enabled before I take my vehicle in for any service at the dealer. Lukily, my mileage is low (especially for a lease - yes, another reason to re-enable) and I have not had to see the Dealer service area since I bought the car. Supposedly it is easier to enable a feature/setting rather than disable it in the CPU. I didn't have a clue what he was doing, but hey, it worked... Plus he had experience in disabling governors in several police cars I have had, but those were Ford and Chevy's.

Also, I again say I wouldn't recommend disabling the speed limit setting. When I went that fast, I was showing off to the guys I work with whom drive police camaro's and we had a wager of 6 cases of XX Equis Lager beer as to which car was faster. I won... Use imagination as to how long it took to drink that much... And no, it wasn't all at once. 150 is fast enough. Plus, tires don't fare too well at those speeds and I ended up having to replace them shortly after. And this was before I knew about this site. I bought the same way over-priced crappy summer tire it came w/ and have kicked myself ever since. I will never do that again. I am not into drag racing or nascar or anything like that. I prefer world rally which demonstrates true skill over every road surface the planet can offer. So, the EGO was overriding the brain boasted w/ being a show off... I am older and wiser now.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE the way the limit setting was disabled, I can try and find out the step by step process. IT WILL REQUIRE A AUTO DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTER to plug into, and you can't find those at Auto Zone. But know this, there are no other benefits to disabling the electronic governor that I could determine. The vehicle basically runs exactly the same, except I did notice a slight dip in mileage per gallon to the tune of 3 to 5.

I know he wants to start up a performance part store w/ installation bays but $$$ is a issue, his credit is shot and to top it off his 3 ex-wives w/ child support each takes most of his money. However, he still got a sweet '04 Silver Acura CL Type-S 6Spd. Not much left under the hood that is factory. Tried to buy it, but he wasn't selling... Different thread for another time.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTC-Dallas
I know everyone is trying to figure out how the speed is possible...

Its complicated...

Started w/ a guy I know in San Antonio who was curious to see how the car CPU worked. He was in Dallas in late '05 and I was giving him a brief tour, that included the garage where my work car was being worked on (so that he could see the car). The two guy's that work on my beat car used to by a tech for Honda/Acura and started working for the city recently to supplement his income and especially the benefits... They plugged into both car's computers to see what made them tick... Long and behold the tech started asking if I wanted any features disabled or reprogrammed. Yes, like any car... The governor CAN BE DISABLED. I however would not recommend it. It took several hours and I ended up paying the guy big $$$ because he took a lot of time out of his day... Also, I am guessing this could be a warranty issue... So... With that said, I plan to have it re-enabled before I take my vehicle in for any service at the dealer. Lukily, my mileage is low (especially for a lease - yes, another reason to re-enable) and I have not had to see the Dealer service area since I bought the car. Supposedly it is easier to enable a feature/setting rather than disable it in the CPU. I didn't have a clue what he was doing, but hey, it worked... Plus he had experience in disabling governors in several police cars I have had, but those were Ford and Chevy's.

Also, I again say I wouldn't recommend disabling the speed limit setting. When I went that fast, I was showing off to the guys I work with whom drive police camaro's and we had a wager of 6 cases of XX Equis Lager beer as to which car was faster. I won... Use imagination as to how long it took to drink that much... And no, it wasn't all at once. 150 is fast enough. Plus, tires don't fare too well at those speeds and I ended up having to replace them shortly after. And this was before I knew about this site. I bought the same way over-priced crappy summer tire it came w/ and have kicked myself ever since. I will never do that again. I am not into drag racing or nascar or anything like that. I prefer world rally which demonstrates true skill over every road surface the planet can offer. So, the EGO was overriding the brain boasted w/ being a show off... I am older and wiser now.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE the way the limit setting was disabled, I can try and find out the step by step process. IT WILL REQUIRE A AUTO DIAGNOSTIC COMPUTER to plug into, and you can't find those at Auto Zone. But know this, there are no other benefits to disabling the electronic governor that I could determine. The vehicle basically runs exactly the same, except I did notice a slight dip in mileage per gallon to the tune of 3 to 5.

I know he wants to start up a performance part store w/ installation bays but $$$ is a issue, his credit is shot and to top it off his 3 ex-wives w/ child support each takes most of his money. However, he still got a sweet '04 Silver Acura CL Type-S 6Spd. Not much left under the hood that is factory. Tried to buy it, but he wasn't selling... Different thread for another time.
If there would be a way to eliminate the governor on my 07 S than I would be down for it. I am about to live in Germany for 3 hyears so I want it to go faster than 150. But of course 150 is pretty darn fast.