Sponsored by:

TL Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Shopping

Hey Guys,
I am brand new to the forum and I am currently shopping for a TL so please be gentle. I looked for a "Purchasing a used TL guide" but I was not able to find one. If there is please point me in the right direction, if not I have a few questions if you don't mind.
I graduated from college back in the winter and finally have a job in my field and it is time to replace my 1994 Accord. It has been the best car I have ever owned and even though I live in Michigan where everyone wants you to buy American I just can't find car company that I like or makes more sense to me than Honda/Acura. I have had a lot of time on my hands to look into multiple cars and after narrowing it down to Acura I drove a TSX and a TL and I have decided to go with a TL. I am looking to spend around $20k plus or minus a bit depending on the car. I would like a '06 or newer and I would like less than 50k miles if not 40k miles. I would prefer to buy CPO but I am not married to the idea.
Now I am ready to purchase but I have a few questions.

1. What is up with the price of the TL-s? At least in my area a comparable TL-s is almost cheeper than a comparable Navi model. Is there any reason for this? Significantly higher maintenance cost? Fuel costs? Reliability? Warranty claims? Ride comfort? I'll have to say the one thing I liked more about the TSX was it's sportier ride and with the price being about the same I would not mind a TL-s. Pleas shed some light on this for me.

2. What should I look for in a used TL? Are their any problem areas that I should be concerned about in addition to the CPO or at large with a private seller?

3. Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks.

Jason
Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Normally the TL-S is more expensive. There might be an issue with the car if it's too cheap. For $20K you should be able to find a very nice TL, 05-06 and less than 50k miles. If there is nothing in your area, try autotrader.com or cars.com and it might be worth it to go out of your way to pick one up.

There are a few transmission problems, older models and it's usually 3rd gear. Make sure the car had all the recalls done. Check for paintwork, have a body shop check if your unsure about doing it yourself. There are a lot of small things (I'm sure more members will tell you a few) but overall this car is awesome. As long as it rides good, looks good and sounds good you should be okay. This is very nice upgrade from the 94 accord and you'll be very pleased.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have an '08 T.L. nbp, tan int, non-nav, 15,000 miles like new in the Michigan area available.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Just a FYI if you didnt know the TL Type S was only made in 07 and 08 and unfortunately your not going to find a clean unmolested low mileage Type S for under $25,000. You talking more in the high 20's range and dont forgot to tag on tax title and license. So the S might be out of your range not sure. You can however find an 06 in that range easily and now maybe some 07's if you search enough. The 07+ in my opinion is worth it as there were many changes to the car. Exterior revisions like the bumpers, wheels, headlights etc etc. On the inside all the trim was updated, nav has a all new interface and includes MP3 capability. Keep all this in my mind.

James
Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What state are you in? Original poster that is..