Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL in the shop... I get to drive a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL in the shop... I get to drive a TSX

Well, I took the TL in for a couple of issues. The drivers seat leather is cracking, and yes I treat it with conditioner regularly. I know of the "but print" issues with some TLs but I dont remember reading much about leather cracking. I forgot to take pictures before I took it to the shop.... sorry. Also three of the four windows are making noise when you raise or lower them. The passenger side rear is making two different noises. One is the rubber seal, its kinda "moaning" when you operate the window. The other nose does not sound good. It sounds like something is scraping the glass inside. It has not done any damage to the glass. I am sure its just a guide that the fabric has come off of. Anyway the other two windows are making their own unique sounds. I had to take it in for Service anyway so might as well get things straightened out. My wife rarely, if ever, rolls down the windows so even though it started a while ago it was no big deal to wait.

So I get a rental car for a couple of days, its a LOADE TSX Black on Black. The car really looks good. As I was driving home messing with all the gadgets I started realizing this thing has more "gadgets" than the TL does, and I like them. There is an instant graph and AVG MPG display right in the middle of the gauge pod. The Nav system seams to have more setting and the MPG is great. I was running around town and the average stayed around 24mpg... WOW!!! Anyway, I still like the power of the TL better for passing, from a start the TSX pulls pretty decent. The TSX feels smaller but inside there is still a decent amount of room inside. I am suprised more people are not going for the TSX, its a pretty decent car for a 4 banger.

I will let ya'll know how the TL works out. The dealership has been awesome since we got an Acura and I expect nothing less from them now.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Racer

Sorry for the double post..... ignore this one please or delete it.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Racer

ok... someone deleted the other post..... thanks!!!

This one is fair game again...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in the same predicament serveral times in the past. Our TL, wonderful and beautiful car was stricken with a few rattle, cosmetic issues such as dr. side front window rattling, headliner sagging, dash and rear deck rattling. Anyway, long story short after serveral lengthy stays at the service department we were blessed with many loaner TSX's and every time we took them home for the day(s) I certainly began to appreciate it's quality and practicality as a superb alternative to the TL. Better MPG's, sportier ride, and just short of TL quality interior, nearly same ammenities. This maybe our upcoming 4th Acura to get.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
04 NBP 6MT

4-banger was my problem. I came from an RSX Type-S and wanted a tad more bangin' when I upgraded.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah TSX and TL fronts are very similar but the back gets me..Haven't driven the TSX but i would love it's MPG haha anyways..i didn't know you could take ur car in for cracking leather? mine is kinda messed up like that on the driver's seat and i think it woud be great if i could get that replaced?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
My TL is at a shop right now and i get to drive a B200.
I still like my TL more.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Advanced

By cracking, do you mean physical cracking of the leather, or do you mean deep wrinkles which are common among leather seats of any vehicle (that I've seen at least)? It gets me that my driver seat is wrinkled as much as it is, and the rest of the seats in the car look as good as the day it left the showroom (that was in July, so not THAT long ago really..)

I had a TSX as a loaner once, and although it wasn't bad... I am happy I went with a TL I wasn't pleased with the quality of the leather in the TSX, it felt cheaper. I did love the notification area with the instant graphs and such. I wish the TL had that feature. Maybe next generation.

Dan
Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Had my car in for routine stuff yesterday, had the choice of TSX, TL, or RDX. I chose the RDX to check out the turbo. Nice SUV, but the turbo lag is really noticable. Turbo lag was the reason my wife gave me her Volvo S60 and pirated my TSX a few years back, so the RDX would never work for her. That is fine, because she will want the MDX when her current lease is up.

The TSX has a few features that I really miss in the TL. The TSX had a function in the nav to go back to the prior tank of gas and tell you the mileage, distance traveled, and time spent between fill-ups. I also felt that the pan feature in the TSX worked better than the TL. And finally, the HVAC system in the TSX is superior to the TL. But my Tl-S is so much faster, the rest really doesn't matter.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Pro

I also had a TSX as loaner, but without navi. The car is not bad for a 4 banger (quite a bit of power), but groans when pushed hard. It handles quite well, may be even better than the TL, probably due to lighter weight and smaller turning circle. I believe TSX is made in Japan, right? Maybe that explains the lack of rattles, unlike the TL, which comes with quite a few annoying ones, and for which the dealer has yet to find a fix. Other than the rattles, I think the TL is a much better car than the TSX
Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally, I was going to get the 6M TSX before my wife requested an AT. The TSX is a great "small" car overall with the 6M and the acceleration was good. However, the 5AT turned the TSX into the driving equivalent of a sleeping aid (or a pre-2006 V6 Camry). I ended up (happily) with the 5AT TL, which feels less tossable but is quicker overall. I would have been happy with the 6M TSX otherwise!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I had a brand new TSX loaner as well....I didn't really like it. Wayyyyyyy to slow...and with only 6,700 miles, it had rattles!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Racer

Only issue I could say about it is the 4 banger. At idle with the air on there is a lot of shaking going on. Step on the pedal to aise the RPM and it smooths out nicely. I jsut really lke the looks of the car black on black.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dansmith2004
By cracking, do you mean physical cracking of the leather, or do you mean deep wrinkles which are common among leather seats of any vehicle (that I've seen at least)? It gets me that my driver seat is wrinkled as much as it is, and the rest of the seats in the car look as good as the day it left the showroom (that was in July, so not THAT long ago really..)

Dan
The leather is wrinkled so bad it has caused some seperation or cracking. It is only on the drivers side of the seat next to the door. Everything else looks great, brand new. The dealership said they thought it would be warrantied, if its not I will be a tad upset. I believe they will agree that the material is faulty to cause that in just two years.... I hope they agree...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
it really comes down to two type: either you want speed or want to save gas. maybe thats why acura created the TSX..for people who wants the smaller engine.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by your_mom
4-banger was my problem. I came from an RSX Type-S and wanted a tad more bangin' when I upgraded.
I test drove a TSX before I bought the TL and the engine was the same reason I decided to go with the TL. The TSX was nice, but I just loved the low end grunt of the TL.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
you guys do know that you can hack the stock navi in the TL's for an instant MPG guage as well as trip computer and HVAC controls right?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 AM
Racer

Yeah but I need an expert to do that kinda stuff for me. I know just enough to get myself in trouble when it comes to hacking... then I need help getting out!!!

The nice thing about the TSX is that the display is on the dashboard so you can see it with the Nav or the stereo display on. I have seen a stock Accords display and I like it except that you loose all the other functions while your looking at it. My thing is that the TSX, which is supposed to be lower on the totem pole, has more gadgets than the TL. The HVAC controls dont impress me, it was the fact that they are there that suprised me.

Gas mileage... all I got to say is going to the pumps has never been fun but I think its outta hand. The TL with 30mpg Highway is impressive, I will take that anyday over the TSX. But in city driving the TL drops dramatically, I was just amazed that the TSX seemed to do as well as it was in city driving. Its smaller than the TL, but its still a decent sized car.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by thegabrielles
Yeah but I need an expert to do that kinda stuff for me. I know just enough to get myself in trouble when it comes to hacking... then I need help getting out!!!

The nice thing about the TSX is that the display is on the dashboard so you can see it with the Nav or the stereo display on. I have seen a stock Accords display and I like it except that you loose all the other functions while your looking at it. My thing is that the TSX, which is supposed to be lower on the totem pole, has more gadgets than the TL. The HVAC controls dont impress me, it was the fact that they are there that suprised me.

Gas mileage... all I got to say is going to the pumps has never been fun but I think its outta hand. The TL with 30mpg Highway is impressive, I will take that anyday over the TSX. But in city driving the TL drops dramatically, I was just amazed that the TSX seemed to do as well as it was in city driving. Its smaller than the TL, but its still a decent sized car.
I am assuming your loaner TSX is an 07 right? If so, your comparing the gadgets of an 07 model TSX (albeit, lower on the totem pole) to your two year old TL. Here's a better comparison- 07 TL gadgets vs. 07 TSX. Which has more?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Racer

Actually the TSX an 06 Model, but an 07 model TL has only a couple of gadgets difference from the 04-06 models. Tire pressure moinitor and some NAV system features I believe is really all. I am not cutting on the TL, just was suprised at some of the features of the TSX. The features arte ones I would Love to have, by the way.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts

if you want a hacked copy, tell me version number, what you want and also send me a new startup image, ill do it for ya.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Actually the TSX an 06 Model, but an 07 model TL has only a couple of gadgets difference from the 04-06 models. Tire pressure moinitor and some NAV system features I believe is really all. I am not cutting on the TL, just was suprised at some of the features of the TSX. The features arte ones I would Love to have, by the way.
just a quick fyi- the 06 TL does have TPMS.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

i get the tsx all the time when i take it in for my free oil changes. i think it is CRAP! i hate the tsx and everytime i take my car in... i can't wait to get it back.... i think the TL is a thousand times nicer than the TSX.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUPA
i get the tsx all the time when i take it in for my free oil changes. i think it is CRAP! i hate the tsx and everytime i take my car in... i can't wait to get it back.... i think the TL is a thousand times nicer than the TSX.

Any reasoning to back this up?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Racer

Wow, I think that is a little harsh. You gotta put it into perspective. The TLS is a smaller car than the TL, but not really by much. The power is decent for its segment, and it has a lot of options. All that and it looks VERY simular to the TL. No not exactly the same but there is no doubt its a little brother to it.

This thread was not to bash the TL or get the TSX bashed, I thnik it is an excellant car, and has more gadgets than the TL... have I said that enough in this thread. Thats the biggest thing that suprised me. I think it looks great, I prefer my TL but you cna not fault the TSX in looks or quality. After all I drive an 05 TL not because I boughtone but because I had so many issues with my 04 TL Acura got me into a new one....

sorry about the 06 TL, I know thats when the changes were done...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I had a TSX when my 06 was in. The TSX is nice but I couldn't wait to get my TL back. WAY more torque. The TSX had to be floored all the time. NO passing torque
Old 05-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Wow, I think that is a little harsh. You gotta put it into perspective. The TLS is a smaller car than the TL, but not really by much. The power is decent for its segment, and it has a lot of options. All that and it looks VERY simular to the TL. No not exactly the same but there is no doubt its a little brother to it.

This thread was not to bash the TL or get the TSX bashed, I thnik it is an excellant car, and has more gadgets than the TL... have I said that enough in this thread. Thats the biggest thing that suprised me. I think it looks great, I prefer my TL but you cna not fault the TSX in looks or quality. After all I drive an 05 TL not because I boughtone but because I had so many issues with my 04 TL Acura got me into a new one....

sorry about the 06 TL, I know thats when the changes were done...
Thanks. I drive an '04 TSX, my dad drives an '05 TL. Both are nice cars. I'd take the TSX because I like the way it rides compared to the TL (sporty vs. luxury) but the guy who says the TSX is crap is clearly biased. The cars are so similar in so many different ways that its impossible to say one is crap. The TSX does lack power compared to the TL but have any of you ever drive an A4 1.8T? Now that's slow...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Racer

I have a friend with a TSX and we came up a list of things the '07 TL has over the '07 TSX. The ones with a * are TL-S only.

* ELS Surround Sound stereo with DVD Audio
* Bi Zenons
* Limited Slip Differential*
* Brembo brakes*
* Real time traffic updates w/ Nav
* Rear back up camera w/ Nav
* Speed sensitive windshield wipers
* Auto off headlights
* Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
* Power lumbar support for driver's seat
* Memory settings includes side mirrors, radio settings, etc.
* Switchblade key
* Key fob remote can open all 4 windows and the sunroof remotely
* Paddle shifters on steering wheel (auto only)*
* Active noise cancellation*
* 48 extra HP (77 HP*)

Did I miss anything??
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Racer

I stand corrected....

OK you got me... I had no idea on a few of those, I guess thats the differance in having an old 05 TL vs a new one.

Skipping the TL-S options.... there are definitely some cool stuff the TL has that the TSX does not. Here is my

The ELS I thought was the greatest thing until I bought my Tundra with the 440 watt stereo, and the DVD-A has done nothing for me. To hard to find. And by the way, why do we still have a cassette player?

LSD is not that big a deal unless you race or you live where there is snow.. I live in Atlanta so no big deal to me.

Back-up Camera... Now thats a GREAT option.

Speed sensitive wipers...very cool

EBD... I really dont think thats much of a big deal unless you regularly push your car to the limit

Memory Seats and mirrors... how did I live without it???

Switchblade key... I guess that would be cool especially when getting robed.

Key Fob opening the windows and sunroof...that is just bad azz... I use it all the time. Anoother possible mod to get the windows to close when you hold the lock button

So thats my opinions on those items. You have corected me though. I still like the TSX options. Thanks again for fillling me in!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Racer

I haven't had a loaner yet, they drop me at the train station... So, I got a ride in a fully loaded TSX once for about 5.5 miles.

All I could think about while in it.... The sound of beercans hitting the recycling bin.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by onsknth
I haven't had a loaner yet, they drop me at the train station... So, I got a ride in a fully loaded TSX once for about 5.5 miles.

All I could think about while in it.... The sound of beercans hitting the recycling bin.

ROFLMAO.... ok you gotta point, when comparing it to the TL it does sound like 4 banger. ( You know it is, right)
But you gotta admit its not a bad car. It rides nice it has a lot of features and has decent power for its segment.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Racer

ROFLMAO.... ok you gotta point, when comparing it to the TL it does sound like 4 banger. ( You know it is, right)
But you gotta admit its not a bad car. It rides nice it has a lot of features and has decent power for its segment.
It is a very nice car, no doubt... But it is a 4-banger and IMHO a 4 banger belongs in a 4 banger, like a civic. They should make a TSX-X with AWD and 3.0 as an option, maybe I'd like that better.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually had the same experience last week. Car was in for it's 7500 mile service and they gave me a TSX, Black with tan interior. I'm a big guy, 6'5", 245lbs. I was fairly impressed with the TSX, it's a nice car. Handles well, seems lighter, more nimble than the TL, BUT the TL definitely has better low end torque and is a lot faster. The TL feels heavier on the road. I would still pick the TL over the TSX in a heart beat. BUT the TSX would be a great car for the wife. I didn't check out the rear seating but the front was fine for me. I do believe that the TL has a better stereo system as well (but that's just my impression). One thing I did notice was that the auto/manual shift on the TSX seems better. When I use the manual (LOL) mode of my TL it's not a immediate shift, the TSX was instant, much more snap. Anyone else notice this?

Dave
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Racer

I will check that out tomorrow when I driv eit, but I have noticed the TL is a little picky at times. First gear is a good example, it shifts out when its ready unless you put it in low.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
My username is lame

how do you get a loaner car?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^ for example; warranty work that takes more than 1 hour to fix- this is from the op-

"Well, I took the TL in for a couple of issues. The drivers seat leather is cracking, and yes I treat it with conditioner regularly. I know of the "but print" issues with some TLs but I dont remember reading much about leather cracking. I forgot to take pictures before I took it to the shop.... sorry. Also three of the four windows are making noise when you raise or lower them. The passenger side rear is making two different noises. One is the rubber seal, its kinda "moaning" when you operate the window. The other nose does not sound good. It sounds like something is scraping the glass inside. It has not done any damage to the glass. I am sure its just a guide that the fabric has come off of. Anyway the other two windows are making their own unique sounds. I had to take it in for Service anyway so might as well get things straightened out."
Old 05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

heh - I'm in the same boat right now. My TL is in for some little nagging issues and I'm driving an '07 TSX. Just echoing what most have said - it just feels slow, it's an auto too so that doesn't help the cause. The other thing I really don't like, and this may sound weird, is the placement of the radio knobs - they're WAY too high, the tune button is a reach and annoying to use. It's non-nav and my TL has nav, so I guess that plays a part. Also, why put the moonroof controls on the dash?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Racer

I just got off hte phone with the ealership and the parts are in, new leather for the drivers seat and some parts for all three windows (I did not ask exactly what parts) They said they may have it done late this afternoon but I dont think I can pick it up late today so I will let you all know how it all turns out, the good news is that it was completely warrantied!!!

Originally Posted by ImPoRtHoNdA
how do you get a loaner car?

From what I have read its a dealership thing now. Some do it and some dont. My dealership has always been great, if they think they are going to keep you car ore than a couple of hours the throw you the keys to a loaner. Or you can take the Shuttle they provide to and from a mall that is close by.

The TSX sunroof control is ridiculous!!! What in te world were they thinking e=when they put it there? And the fact that its not one touch open. It took me about an hour in the car before I found it, because I just never thought to look in front of my left knee. The Nav in the TSX is nice and seems to have more features than my 05TL. I have not found any of the controls to be difficult to get to.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
My username is lame

so you dont have to sign up for anything? you just request for a loaner car? because my brothers MDX is making these same types of noises, and we where just wondering how to get the loaner car.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Racer

I think the TL is nicer for sure (and I own one). But, the TSX isn't that bad a car at all. If there was a 6 cylinder option I might have seriously considered it. I have had 4 cylinder in the past and really much prefer a 6 or even an 8.

For the price of a TSX I would probably go for a loaded Accord v6 though. But, the TSX is a well built car and isn't junk for sure.

Quick Reply: TL in the shop... I get to drive a TSX