Sponsored by:

TL-S vs. the RL's paddle shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:40 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S vs. the RL's paddle shifter?

I made a big mistake yesterday while picking up some parts for my TSX:

I decided to sit inside a 5AT TL-S in the showroom.

I immediately noticed that there were paddle shifters. I wanted to take one for a spin, but didn't feel like taking (another) long lunch. While I was quite impressed with the feedback and responsiveness of the RL's paddles, I was wondering if anyone could give some feedback if you've driven both.

How would you rate the responsiveness of each shift? Is there a delay like the base TL's SS mode? Although I'm not expecting it to be on par with DSG or SMG, I'm hoping it's close.

How well (or bad) are the gears paired with the powerband? I found the RL's gears too long and badly needed a 6AT or even 7AT. I was really hoping the TL-S would have Acura's first 6-spd auto.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
I made a big mistake yesterday while picking up some parts for my TSX:

I decided to sit inside a 5AT TL-S in the showroom.

I immediately noticed that there were paddle shifters. I wanted to take one for a spin, but didn't feel like taking (another) long lunch. While I was quite impressed with the feedback and responsiveness of the RL's paddles, I was wondering if anyone could give some feedback if you've driven both.

How would you rate the responsiveness of each shift? Is there a delay like the base TL's SS mode? Although I'm not expecting it to be on par with DSG or SMG, I'm hoping it's close.

How well (or bad) are the gears paired with the powerband? I found the RL's gears too long and badly needed a 6AT or even 7AT. I was really hoping the TL-S would have Acura's first 6-spd auto.
Shifts way better than the SS, a lot quicker and more responsive
Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
B A N N E D

hmm.....it doesn't affect the transmission at all whether you are using the paddle shift or using the shift knob. All it does is send a signal to the computer telling the tranny to change a gear.

Even in SMG, it makes no difference whether you use the paddle shift or shift knob. The tranny itself will not shift faster.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:08 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
how about from 1st to 2nd? is it still done automatically or can you control it with the paddle shifters now?
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 AM
B A N N E D

You can hold 1st gear with the 07 TL and TL-S.