Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL-S vs. IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007

Think about it... Accelerate too hard in a fwd in the rain, you lose all steering control... Not so with rwd....
you are confusing drivetrain with tire grip.

accelerate hard with a FWD in the rain with tires that have grip, and you take off. now put cheapo tires on a RWD car, mash the gas and lets see you reign control over a fishtailing rear end.

driven wheels frankly do not matter in the rain, snow, dry pavement. it is the amount of grip whichever end has.you can be on dry asphalt with no grip on a FWD car and you'd be washing out and losing steering ability.

taking your case in point, if you are on a RWD car in the rain, whether stationary or moving, with enough power mashing the throttle to WOT will yield your car swinging its rear end without any sort of traction control, regardless of the tires. T/C will step in to intervene, and the reason for it is not to shift power, but really T/C restores grip - whether you are FWD, RWD or AWD.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
If you want a quality built car.. go lexus. If you want the best bang for your buck, go Acura. Thats what it boils down to.

"Most" people who chose Acura over other brands, their decision boils down to "wow this is a good value" opposed to those that buy Lexus comes down to "Great solid quality built car..worth the extra money".

I have 2 Lexus's on my driveway 07 GS and 05 RX and I can say hands down they are better built cars.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm 21 years old, and I'm sure that my opinion may not be what you're looking for. What everyone else said above, pretty much wraps it up. Honestly though, I'd much rather choose the TL-S over the IS350. The Lexus is an amazing machine, but it seemed too plush and bit sluggish around the corners. The TL-S looks AMAZING both inside and out; A-Spec Kit etc.. The IS350 has a great amount of power, but it isn't THAT much quicker than the TL-S; I doubt you'll be mashing on it with children, wife, etc.. TL-S > IS350
Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
as far as pricing - I'd get a 2006 IS350 vs an 07 TL-S. pricing would be about the same. but hat's comparing an 06 Lexus to 07 TL-S. either of those would put me at about $26-28k ballpark.

the G8 can be had brand new for about $28k..maybe $29k. you can get 0% for 72 months. the G8 is FAST. 1/4 mile is 13.5 or so. i drove one and it amazed me at how much torque it had. it just gets up and MOVES. not that a TL-S is slow, but it's not even close.. G8 would romp all over a TL-s.

handling wise, i'd have to say it's very close.

overall the G8 will feel a little "cheaper"....but it's not cheapy inside like some american cars. i do like how it looks. it aggressive looking. it's also VERY roomy.

the TL looks more upscale to me. fully loaded with nav. but ythe G8 has about everything else, including heated seats, it jus tdoens't have nav..but i can buy a garmin.

gonna test drive later today or tomorrow. will keep you all posted.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
When I bought my TL-s a few months ago I looked at IS350's and just didn't want to pay that much money. Isn't pontiac about to get the ax? Not sure I'd buy a car from a defunct car company. Like ppl said, I think acura has the best value, lexus is a great company that builds great cars.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What makes you say that? One time I was briskly accelerating up a hill passing a slow car in the rain. The VSA flashed and the TL swerved into the next lane. I had to use all my strength to force the TL to stay in my lane.

I did the same thing in the G a few months later in the same conditions, in the same location... Tail stepped out slightly, but I was easily able to keep the car straight with very little effort.

On another occasion I took my GTP around a corner too fast... Tail was swinging wildly. I thought I was going to crash into the cement barrier....

On yet a different occasion I took the G around a corner too fast as well. I was passing a truck but forgot the lanes merged during a tight curve, so gunned it to complete the pass. I ended up powersliding the curve, all while staying in my lane. When I took a corner too fast with FWD I was scared to take corners too fast for a week. When I did the same with RWD, I thought it was fun and wanted to do it again...

Think about it... Accelerate too hard in a fwd in the rain, you lose all steering control... Not so with rwd....

Note: not saying fwd sucks or rwd is awesome, just pointing out claims that rwd sucks in rain, snow, etc, is bs, as I drive both in rain, snow, etc.
were you trying to prove me right ? haha you just explained exactly why fwd is safer o.o i rather not explain much but my point is, rwd can spin out easily in wet conditions.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Integra
were you trying to prove me right ? haha you just explained exactly why fwd is safer o.o i rather not explain much but my point is, rwd can spin out easily in wet conditions.
Did you not read what I said? On the TL, when the front end lost traction while accelerating up a hill in the rain the car swerved INTO THE NEXT LANE, and I had to use all my strength to hold the steering wheel to force the car to track straight.

In my RWD car, in the same conditions, in the same location, the rear stepped out a little but the car stayed within my lane and that I had an easy time keeping the car tracking straight.

If there was a car in the lane to my left when I was in the TL, I would have CRASHED. When I was in my RWD car, since I stayed within my own lane, it wouldn't have mattered.

In a FWD car, if you break traction on your drive wheels you lose steering control.

Last edited by avs007; 07-04-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Who cares about RWD or FWD, unless you care more for performance. If your driving really affects you (safety wise) you obviously need lessons on how to drive.

Anyways back to the topic, get the type-s just because of what you're getting for the price and the agreessive look you get with the type-s. Don't forget the most feature when you look at our cars: top rated safety car in its class. Most important line you need for your family.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
you are confusing drivetrain with tire grip.
No I'm not. In a FWD car, if you break traction because you are accelerating too hard, you CANNOT STEER because the front tires need TRACTION to be able to steer. In a RWD car, if you spin the rear tires, the FRONT tires still have TRACTION to be able to keep the car pointed in the correct direction to allow you to recover.

accelerate hard with a FWD in the rain with tires that have grip, and you take off. now put cheapo tires on a RWD car, mash the gas and lets see you reign control over a fishtailing rear end.
Put cheapo tires on a FWD and mash the gas, and when the front swings sideways, lets see you try to steer your way out of that. Why are you comparing awesome tires to cheapo tires?

driven wheels frankly do not matter in the rain, snow, dry pavement. it is the amount of grip whichever end has.you can be on dry asphalt with no grip on a FWD car and you'd be washing out and losing steering ability.
I wasn't arguing that one was inherently better than the other, I was dispelling myths that RWD was "less safe".

What I was saying, was that in cases when you already lost traction, recovering with RWD is easier, becuase you still have steering control, so you can keep your car oriented in the proper direction while you try to recover any fishtailing that may be happening... If you lose traction in a FWD car in the same scenario, recovering is hopeless until you regain traction on your front wheels to be able to steer the car, until then the car will go where IT wants to go, not where YOU want it to go.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
If your driving really affects you (safety wise) you obviously need lessons on how to drive.
Thanks for the insult... But in case you didn't notice I didn't hit anything, and I successfully recovered the fishtailing in my FWD car without hitting the cement barrier, and stayed in my own lane the whole time.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Drifting

I was cross shopping the TL and IS350 as well... (It should be obvious which one I bought). My main reason against the Lexus was that the IS was too cramped. If it was a coupe I wouldn't mind if it was cramped...
Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 23109VC
it jus tdoens't have nav..but i can buy a garmin.
What's crazy is that the Australian Holden from which the G8 is derived from actually offers DVD NAV...
Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I never directed that to you, it was a general statement. Deep breath! This topic had stirred from a TL or IS350 to RWD vs FWD. TL ftw.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 23109VC
i know it has less leg room than the TL, but not sure if it's that much narrower..
The TL has 3" more shoulder room in the rear than the IS350. You definately will notice that... My coworker has an IS350... I hate riding in that car when we go to lunch.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
TL ftw.
That I agree with
Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Did you not read what I said? On the TL, when the front end lost traction while accelerating up a hill in the rain the car swerved INTO THE NEXT LANE, and I had to use all my strength to hold the steering wheel to force the car to track straight.

In my RWD car, in the same conditions, in the same location, the rear stepped out a little but the car stayed within my lane and that I had an easy time keeping the car tracking straight.

If there was a car in the lane to my left when I was in the TL, I would have CRASHED. When I was in my RWD car, since I stayed within my own lane, it wouldn't have mattered.

In a FWD car, if you break traction on your drive wheels you lose steering control.
So you're saying a RWD car is better for snow and rain in comparison to FWD?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
So you're saying a RWD car is better for snow and rain in comparison to FWD?
I"m not saying RWD is "better" in the snow/rain. I'm saying RWD is not "less safe". That's all. Put decent tires on your car, and it shouldn't matter if you have RWD or FWD when driving in Snow/Rain. I'm just saying don't dismiss RWD becuase you think it's "less safe".
Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
I"m not saying RWD is "better" in the snow/rain. I'm saying RWD is not "less safe". That's all. Put decent tires on your car, and it shouldn't matter if you have RWD or FWD when driving in Snow/Rain. I'm just saying don't dismiss RWD becuase you think it's "less safe".
I disagree, I've owned 3 rwd cars and 2 fwd cars. With equal tires, the fwd will fare better in the rain/snow.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by skd2k1
I disagree, I've owned 3 rwd cars and 2 fwd cars. With equal tires, the fwd will fare better in the rain/snow.
is the RWD you are referencing near 50/50 weight balanced, or are you thinking of a 70's land barge?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fwd with same tires as rwd, fwd will have more traction period, cuz thier is more weight on the front tires.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
let's get this discussion back on topic i.e. tl-s vs. is350. fwd vs rwd vs awd in inclement weather is not the topic at hand.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Fwd with same tires as rwd, fwd will have more traction period, cuz thier is more weight on the front tires.
Too bad when you accelerate, weight shifts to the rear, causing your front drive wheels to lose traction...

FWD will get you marginally better traction from a stand-still.. But once moving, FWD will not help you accelerate better, stop better, steer better, etc. (Not saying that RWD is getting you all those things, just saying that for inclimate weather tires are everything). But for the record, with a well balanced near 50/50 weight distributed RWD car, you'll have plenty of weight over the drive wheels. Plus when you accelerate the shifting weight will get you extra traction.

But anyways, to stay on topic: Between the IS350 and the TL-S, I think the TL is more well rounded. If you are looking hard at the IS350, I'd rather take an Infiniti G37 Sport.

Personally I stay away from Lexus, because the only Lexus dealer in our area can kiss my @ss because of the lousy treatment they gave me... One time when I came there after work to test drive the GS they said, "We aren't in the business of letting highschoolers come joyriding in our vehicles... Please come back later with your parents if you want to ride in one".. I was beyond pissed because I was in my late 20's at the time, was wearing a suit because I just came from a client meeting, and I even met my wife there to test drive together.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ifirahse
I'll tell you one thing:

The Lexus navigation interface is worlds ahead of Acura's.
I have used both and this is the oppposite of what is true. Honda/Acura navigation is the best you can have. Period.

As for driving experience. Compare Acura to Lexus as you would compare BMW to Mercedes. If you can't figure out which ones compare in their respective classes you shouldn't be giving advice on the subject.

TL-S is all around a better car.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
No its not BS. FWD IS better in slippery conditions compared to RWD. I have owned many cars both FWD, RWD, and AWD. Cars ranging from Corvette Z06's, to grand Cherokee SRT8's etc etc. The ONLY car I would drive in snowy conditions are my FWD cars. My commute to work takes me on some open country roads that during winter are un-touched by snow plows. Coming from experience you wont catch me taking one of the rear wheel drive cars to work when snow is in the forecast. My FWD car literally plows right through un-plowed roads no problems at all. RWD on the other hand, have fun in the ditch or stuck on a hill.
I love performance cars dont get me wrong but in normal day to day driving FWD is better than RWD for year round use in areas that get snowy. Now ofcourse on a REAL sports car such as a Corvette Z06 ofcourse you would want RWD.
One thing's for sure: it's far easier to get yourself unstuck in an FWD car if you find yourself stuck in snow since you can turn the drive wheels. Nothing beats AWD/4WD traction in the winter though

Personally I stay away from Lexus, because the only Lexus dealer in our area can kiss my @ss because of the lousy treatment they gave me... One time when I came there after work to test drive the GS they said, "We aren't in the business of letting highschoolers come joyriding in our vehicles... Please come back later with your parents if you want to ride in one".. I was beyond pissed because I was in my late 20's at the time, was wearing a suit because I just came from a client meeting, and I even met my wife there to test drive together.
Yeah, some dealers can be real asshats if you look young. I find the german dealerships generally have better customer service; I went in to test drive the C300 on my own and they offered to let me drive the C350 instead.

Last edited by knavinusa; 07-05-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Too bad when you accelerate, weight shifts to the rear, causing your front drive wheels to lose traction...

FWD will get you marginally better traction from a stand-still.. But once moving, FWD will not help you accelerate better, stop better, steer better, etc. (Not saying that RWD is getting you all those things, just saying that for inclimate weather tires are everything). But for the record, with a well balanced near 50/50 weight distributed RWD car, you'll have plenty of weight over the drive wheels. Plus when you accelerate the shifting weight will get you extra traction.

But anyways, to stay on topic: Between the IS350 and the TL-S, I think the TL is more well rounded. If you are looking hard at the IS350, I'd rather take an Infiniti G37 Sport.

Sorry to bring this RWD vs FWD thing back up....but I gotta ask man, do you seriously have experience driving in snow with both FWD and RWD cars? Doesnt seem like it as I just cant agree with the things you are saying. Sure the weight shifting to the rear is beneficial to RWD if you are RACING but not once has anyone mentioned anything about racing these cars in this thread.
FWD will get you SIGNIFICANTLY better traction from a stand still (not marginally), and when rolling traction in all categories is better hands down. I drive in snow EVERY winter.
Like I said before for a summer fun car ofcourse RWD would be the best choice, but for an all year round car that gets drivin in snowy areas FWD is the best. In a way Acura was smart to keep the TL FWD as thats one of the reason I got the TL-S because its FWD and I need to drive it in the winter.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
this thread is about to be closed
Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rwd=fun Fwd=smarter but who cares the IS350 is a nice car and i would have definitely bought it if it had manual. Instead i took the TL-S and i loved it. Especially now that we might have a turbo on the way
Old 07-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Racer

Are you trying to prove well known facts wrong or something?

If you break traction in a FWD car, you are also not fishtailing all over the road. Unless you are on black ice, you won't lose all steering control. All you have to do is take your foot OFF THE GAS PEDAL to retain grip. While driving a RWD 50/50 weight distributed 540i, I fishtailed on a patch of sand coming off an offramp while lightly touching the gas pedal. I pulled out, but that wouldn't have happened in FWD. Since the ass end of the car has completely lost traction and is now moving in a lateral direction, the driver needs to know how to pull out of it correctly. Where as in FWD, simply lift your right foot, and adjust the steering wheel to the correct direction. Hence the reason why FWD is the better option in inclement weather.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Racer

Honestly I can't fathom how you managed to swerved your TL into the next lane while driving uphill. It doesn't make physical sense. Were you accelerating hard and passing? Sounds like unsafe driving to me.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
IMO i see a lot of women driving IS 250/350 since its small. Theres an IS 350 in my hood for 30k, but no navi- so def. no bang for buck there. IS -350 doesnt have LED break lights(a luxury feature), like the TL. Also TL has side mirror blinkers, which are not standard on the IS. the IS-350 does not have front and rear side marker lights. so basically TL has more "stuff"

07-08 Tl-S FTW!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by wall e
IS -350 doesnt have LED break lights(a luxury feature), like the TL.
sorry to break it to you man, but all IS 250/350s come with LED brake lights and CHMSL.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
this thread is about to be closed
It now is, and warnings are being sent.