Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL-S vs. IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
TL-S vs. IS350?

did any of you guys who own Type S's ever test drive or cross shop the IS350?

I'm about to buy a new DD. I own a 2007 MDX and love that car. it's myh wife's she drives that with our kids. I"m looking for a second car that I dan use as a DD to work and also to be a secondary/spare family car that we can use when we don't need all the space of the MDX.

ideally it would be a car that is FUN to drive, sporty (i like cars). i own a 2000 boxster as a toy / weekend car - adn I don't want my DD to be a totally boring plain jane sedan. I enjoy driving too much to spend 4-5 days a week behind the wheel of a "regular" car. I don't want anything boy racerish. I"m a 36 year old attorney - and can't be seen rolling to work in an STi or EVo..or that kind of crap. also, those are too small.

i have three kids. one in a car seat, one in a booster.

we ahd a 2009 TSX as a loaner once recently and all the kids fit in that, but it was marignally tight. anything not as wide in the back woudl not really be practical.

the IS350 maybe too small. i know it has less leg room than the TL, but not sure if it's tha tmuch narrower..asmy kids ar eyoung...legroom is not an issue.... width is the only problem.... the TSX fit them and it has minimal leg room..

I looked at used RLs, but honsestly they drive like an old man's car.....very plush and luxurious, but not what I"m looking for.

I drove a 335i and loved it. lots of torque...but a new enogh one with nice options is 35k+ and off warranty it will likely break and cost an arm and leg to fix.

the IS350 seems to be faster and better handling than the TL-S and since they introduced it in 06, i coudl go one model year older than the tL-S and spend about $25k for a CPO IS 350....

i have not driven an IS350 and am going to do so over the holiday weekend...and I will likely arrange a test drive same day, close in time, of a TL-S so I an get a good back to back comparison.

before I go do it - i wondered what you all thought about the IS? this is a good forum, and I've rec'd a lot of good ideas from peole here on my other posts.. belive me i've posted a lot..comparing a lot of cars..

i've ruled out hte new TSX as too underpowered. and the used RLs as not sporty enough.

i really really like the Pontiac G8 but am not sure it's luxurious enough and might not have the long term reliablity i'll get ona TL. I looked at the new 09TL but honeslty, it's the old RL renamed a TL..it's NOTHING like the TL-S/ the base model i drove was very nice, but very floaty liek an RL. mayber the AWD version is nice, but that's more money than i'm gonna spend.

so i'm now cross shopping the IS350 and TL-S.

what do you all think of the two? pros/cons? reasons for against each?

thanks a bunch!!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well ima go with IS350 man. if you want to feel power get rwd. And dont get the awd, it sucks
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If power is not a big issue comparing the TL-S and IS350, I would go with the TL-S because it has a nicer interior and plenty of room for 3 little ones in the back.

I never test drove the IS350 but I heard the steering is a bit numb..The TL-S has a sportier overall steering feel and handling..The IS350 is not a sports car period.

Cant go wrong with a TL-S as a DD

GL let us know what u go with
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You mention the IS being a little smaller, I would pay close attention to the rear seat. I am 6 feet tall, adjusted the front seat and then attempted to get into the back seat. I could only just barely get in and after I did I could not get out without my wife moving the front seat. The TL is much better in this respect.

If that wasn't important to me I would have gone with the IS. I think the build quality is better than the TL with better materials but I have no regrets about my TL.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
i've ruled out hte new TSX as too underpowered.

Are you aware that the 2010 TSX is going to have a V6 (3.5 liter V6 280 hp)? It's basically the same engine as the base 4th generation TL.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i LOVED my type-s... as a daily driver... i put on roughly 400-500 miles a week... TL-S was comfortable, roomy, reliable.. and plenty of power on tap when needed

also, FWD for less promising weather conditions...

in fact, i miss my 3rd Gen TL-S alot... but LOVE my 4G =)
Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are concerned about backseat room, don't even bother driving the IS. The rear seat is tiny, and I mean very tiny. If you are tall, chances are you'll need the drivers seat pushed all the way back, which makes that side of the rear seat unusable. When all the way back, the drivers seat comes within 1/2 of touching the back seat.

That is the reason I didn't buy the IS350, sometimes I have more than 2 people in the car, and the rear seat is a total joke.

In my view, a loaded IS350 with navigation is over priced, it will tip the scales at around $45k. Too much coin for what that car is.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Instructor

in my opinion the TL-s is the best choice. ive heard a lot of good and bad things about the 350 but more bad than good. i have also test driven one when i was stuck between the 2 but nothing matches the power and luxury of the TL's. its the best of both worlds but then again thats just my opinion.

being a lawyer im assuming u make pretty good money, id go with a bmw M5 or a cadillac cts-v. those 2 cars are in a class of their own. verrry nice!!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Racer

Wow do you have any concept of price range?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Advanced

For the best bang-for-the-buck, I'd go drive the G8 - It's an awesome car.

As for the TL vs IS, just be aware that the ISx50 is a much smaller car than the TL. I personally like driving the IS, but when we take longer trips, the TL gets the nod. I'd say the Lexus interior > the Acura but not by much.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
When I shopped around for a car 5 months ago, I test drove the following cars (all of them brand new):
IS250 - small, gutless, I thought there was something wrong with the car

IS350 - quick, comfortable, good handling, but small.

G37 sedan - fast, to me the interior looked little "unfinished", did I say fast, but not crazy about the sedan body style. Coupe looks little nicer.

TL-S - comfortable, good looking, roomy, lot of features, fairly quick

BMW 335i - fast, great predictable handling, you feel in total control, but waaaay overpriced with the features you want.

I ended up getting brand new 08 TL-S NBP (last one on the lot), because it was the best deal. For 33,050 +TTL, I have fully loaded, good looking, reliable car, that should go for about 250,000 miles, with relatively small amount of money going for repair and maintenance.
If they didn't have one I bought, I would have bought the IS350, since I don't carry anyone in the back seat that often. I could not get past the looks of the 4G TL, so I didn't even consider that one.
So, IMHO, if you want speed get G37, if you want the best bang for the buck, get the TL-S. And if you're considering keeping the car past the warranty period, don't get the 335i, the cost of repair would eat you alive. I feel like the only think I'm missing is RWD, but I'm willing to live with it. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i hope u know the is350 is not a better handler then the tl-s.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
i hope u know the is350 is not a better handler then the tl-s.
It depends on the situation, but to elaborate on the ^ post, the TL-S was almost 2 seconds faster around Willow Springs than the IS350 and the G37...
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
The Lexus line is nice, but dollar for dollar, the Type S is the best value for the money. I think you pay too much for the Lexus name.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own both brands, Lexus es330 (had the old es300 until a f'ing illegal immigrant rear ended me) and a TL-S. Here is my take when I bought the TL-S.

I got the TL-S because the IS similarly equipted, eg with GPS, cold weather, etc was about 4k more than the TL-S. So whereas the IS was right at 40k, the TL-S was at 36k, both brand new. The TL-S suspension is definitely better for handling but rougher compared to the floating feeling you get with Lexus. IS definitely has softer springs and I tested both on the same roads. I also didn't go with the IS due to the nasty Chicago winters. If you don't have to deal with the chicago winters, I would go with the IS350 if I were you. But like everyone said here.. it is a much smaller car if that is important. Also, generally Lexus service is much better. I bought my parents an ES330 and there is a sense of luxury whenever I step into the dealership for service. I don't feel that at the Acura dealership.

Also if you want tuning options, the TL-S has more options. Yes you can get the Joe-z intake tube or IS-F parts... but overall, the TL-S is better for customization. There is also a supercharger and soon to be turbo for the TL-S, so that is something to keep in mind as well.

gl with the purchase.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I hear, the IS is a smaller car than the TL and so having room for a family and passengers it might feel more cramped. It's definitely a very stylish car though and I'm sure the power and handling are nice as well. I shopped for both the IS and TL and I just feel like it's a chick car though.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
ua7 HIbernating in

i would go with a TL-S, not because i'm a proud owner as well but for 1) you've got kids, so plenty of room for the little ones 2)interior looks a lot better 3)horsepower is pretty much equivalent
Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor

The IS drives almost like a BMW. The steering is a little numb but still feels very good. It feels like a capsule and gives a feeling of having total control (which I can't say for the TL-S). I came from a 06 BMW and test drove IS and loved the way it drives. But when it comes to back room it's no bigger than most coupes (seriously). That was the only reason that I did not buy one. The seats are comfortable but not much room for adjustment; you need to lay back like 45 degrees to not have your head against the roof (I am 5'9"). Furthermore, it has a lot of HP and fast on paper but it didn't strike me as being fast at all. It's weird I know. My 2c's worth.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you want a car that is "fun/sporty", ANY Lexus would be a BIG negative, except possibly the IS-F. All Lexus' drive like a boat, with pronounced body roll.

In a straight line, the IS350 is faster, but in ANY other circumstance, the TL Type-S will out perform. The TL, even though it is FWD, posts faster times at the track than the IS or Infiniti G-series.

If you like straight line speed: IS.

If you like to be able to go fast around the twisties, and have more cabin room: TL Type-S.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by princelybug
If you want a car that is "fun/sporty", ANY Lexus would be a BIG negative, except possibly the IS-F. All Lexus' drive like a boat, with pronounced body roll.

In a straight line, the IS350 is faster, but in ANY other circumstance, the TL Type-S will out perform. The TL, even though it is FWD, posts faster times at the track than the IS or Infiniti G-series.

If you like straight line speed: IS.

If you like to be able to go fast around the twisties, and have more cabin room: TL Type-S.
That's very not true with the IS350. Take a test drive I am sure your opinion will change, regardless of what the lap times that are published. I didn't have much expectations in terms of performance before I test drove it but it far exceeded it. Handling-wise I'd say the IS is better.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^^^ I'm speaking from experience. Lexus steering is numb, and body roll is more pronounced as compared to the 3G TL Type-S.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
ppsssshhhhhhhhh

tl-s is the way to go. i test drove a is350 before i bought the tl and it felt like riding in a civic so i got the tl instead.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

TL-S Beats IS350 & G35 @ the Track

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/tl-s-beats-is350-g35-%40-track-616357/
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
It depends on the situation, but to elaborate on the ^ post, the TL-S was almost 2 seconds faster around Willow Springs than the IS350 and the G37...
ACTUALLY....

It was a G35, not a G37.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cerezo
The IS drives almost like a BMW. The steering is a little numb but still feels very good. It feels like a capsule and gives a feeling of having total control (which I can't say for the TL-S). I came from a 06 BMW and test drove IS and loved the way it drives. But when it comes to back room it's no bigger than most coupes (seriously). That was the only reason that I did not buy one. The seats are comfortable but not much room for adjustment; you need to lay back like 45 degrees to not have your head against the roof (I am 5'9"). Furthermore, it has a lot of HP and fast on paper but it didn't strike me as being fast at all. It's weird I know. My 2c's worth.
The IS drives nothing like any BMW. It is actually quite the opposite.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Hmm obviously asking a Acura forum, you'll get biased results.

You mentioned test driving a 09 TSX and saying it was a bit small? The TL-S is not much of a difference to the 09 TSX model.

It also seems like some people are getting confused on what model you want: TL-S or 09 TL (09 tl's don't have a type S model). Like someone mentioned AWD sucks, but the Type-S model is only fwd.

Anyways, besides those speculations both are great cars. However, you'll turn more heads with a TL-S than an IS-350. That car is WAY to common, besides it looks like the 250. I honestly can't even tell the difference except by emblem.

You want space, power, fun? They both got it, but I'd take the TL-S. My choices were 335i, g35, or TL-S and I chose the TL-S back in 2006 because it was unique.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
thanks for all the opinions!!

yeah, I'm a lawyer, but I work for the GOV'T - so I'm NOT rich. Comfortable, but not rich. We already have an MDX and I have a 986 boxster - so I am not going to spend a ton. I had thought about selling my boxster - which honestly, is probably only worth $10-15k max - and use tha tmoney to buy a more expensive car...i'd be able to get a 335i if I did - but after test driving a 335i it didin'tm ake me want to sell my Porsche. my little old $15k Boxster is about the most bang for the buck on the road.

anyway - I'm looking for an all around good car. Handling, power, luxury, reliability.

My guess is the IS350 will be too small - but we'll see. I'll check one out, test drive it this weekend, and I'll report back here what I think.

Right now, the only other car that really has me thinking is the G8. For what the Acura dealers want for a used 07 TL-S or 08 - I could get a new G8. the G8 isn't nearly as nice as hte TL - but it's NOT bad at all. It's a very nice car and it FLIES and handles! with TONS of space in the back seat and a huge trunk. it's a full sized car...but drivds like a smaller sports sedan...

i'll keep you all posted what I do. i'll be test driving tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

most answers would be bias since your on a tl forum, but here is my unbiased option. i have test driven an 08 is350, 09 is250, 09 tsx, 06 tsx and own an 07 TL-S.
the is350 is faster than the tl-s but both feel just as fast, besides the fact that one is a fwd and the other is rwd. fwd will be safer in the rain as well.
the tl-s is bigger than the is350/250, the IS is about the same size as a tsx.
im also in the market for a is250/350 right now for the family. its almost impossible to even find a good privately owned is250 for around 25k, i highly doubt you will get a is350 for 25k. the tl-s is cheaper than the is350 no doubt. both are really good cars and i would say both are really fun to drive. whichever you choose, you wont regret it.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
TL-S!

You can get it in a manual and it's roomier The interior is superb as well.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll tell you one thing:

The Lexus navigation interface is worlds ahead of Acura's.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i tested a 350 and a AWD250 before i bought the TL... my friend actually bought the 250 and i loved the power of the 350 but it was too small... as some other members have already stated, the ISx50 models are very small and are comparable in size to older gen TSX... that is one reason i bought the TL... another reason is just bang for the buck... you will get more out of the TL in price than you will with the IS...

if you enjoy the ride of the Lexus and want the room, why not look at a 3rd gen GS? but it may feel too 'old' for you maybe... if i was currently in the market, hands down i would pick up a G8... my friend just got one in Feb and boy is that car nice... i would be willing to sacrafice some of the interior luxuries for the power that car has... didn't it outhandle a BMW?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ifirahse
I'll tell you one thing:

hmmn. People usually swear the opposite.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
It's not out quite yet but if you're looking at a G8-size/style car you also might want to consider the new Ford Taurus SHO. The Chrysler 300C is also in this group but then you get their quality issues along with it. Otherwise, it sounds like a TL-S would fit your bill.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
As much as I love my TL-S, I think you should look at the G8. They are giving them away at 0% for 72 months now, and they're pretty nice cars. The only reason I didn't consider it when I bought the TL-S was because of the G8's lack of navigation - that is a must for me. I would suggest to also look at the new Taurus - SHO if you can swing that, and even the Lincoln MKS. When my friend was in the market for a sedan, we checked out the MKS - it has a beautiful interior for what it is. How about the Genesis? I've heard that it drives pretty well also.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
If he is looking at a Acura/Lexus, I don't think a Ford/Mercury would interest him.

Ford Taurus???
Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Integra
fwd will be safer in the rain as well
What makes you say that? One time I was briskly accelerating up a hill passing a slow car in the rain. The VSA flashed and the TL swerved into the next lane. I had to use all my strength to force the TL to stay in my lane.

I did the same thing in the G a few months later in the same conditions, in the same location... Tail stepped out slightly, but I was easily able to keep the car straight with very little effort.

On another occasion I took my GTP around a corner too fast... Tail was swinging wildly. I thought I was going to crash into the cement barrier....

On yet a different occasion I took the G around a corner too fast as well. I was passing a truck but forgot the lanes merged during a tight curve, so gunned it to complete the pass. I ended up powersliding the curve, all while staying in my lane. When I took a corner too fast with FWD I was scared to take corners too fast for a week. When I did the same with RWD, I thought it was fun and wanted to do it again...

Think about it... Accelerate too hard in a fwd in the rain, you lose all steering control... Not so with rwd....

Note: not saying fwd sucks or rwd is awesome, just pointing out claims that rwd sucks in rain, snow, etc, is bs, as I drive both in rain, snow, etc.

Last edited by avs007; 07-03-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by ifirahse
I'll tell you one thing:

Yeah im confused Acura has always been known as worlds ahead of everyone else.
Who told you this?
I spoke with the original owner of my TL-S the other day who sold the TL-S for a new Lexus. He straight out told me the Acura navigation system was far superior to his new Lexus system.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
What makes you say that? One time I was briskly accelerating up a hill passing a slow car in the rain. The VSA flashed and the TL swerved into the next lane. I had to use all my strength to force the TL to stay in my lane.

I did the same thing in the G a few months later in the same conditions, in the same location... Tail stepped out slightly, but I was easily able to keep the car straight with very little effort.

On another occasion I took my GTP around a corner too fast... Tail was swinging wildly. I thought I was going to crash into the cement barrier....

On yet a different occasion I took the G around a corner too fast as well. I was passing a truck but forgot the lanes merged during a tight curve, so gunned it to complete the pass. I ended up powersliding the curve, all while staying in my lane. When I took a corner too fast with FWD I was scared to take corners too fast for a week. When I did the same with RWD, I thought it was fun and wanted to do it again...

Think about it... Accelerate too hard in a fwd in the rain, you lose all steering control... Not so with rwd....

Note: not saying fwd sucks or rwd is awesome, just pointing out claims that rwd sucks in rain, snow, etc, is bs, as I drive both in rain, snow, etc.
No its not BS. FWD IS better in slippery conditions compared to RWD. I have owned many cars both FWD, RWD, and AWD. Cars ranging from Corvette Z06's, to grand Cherokee SRT8's etc etc. The ONLY car I would drive in snowy conditions are my FWD cars. My commute to work takes me on some open country roads that during winter are un-touched by snow plows. Coming from experience you wont catch me taking one of the rear wheel drive cars to work when snow is in the forecast. My FWD car literally plows right through un-plowed roads no problems at all. RWD on the other hand, have fun in the ditch or stuck on a hill.
I love performance cars dont get me wrong but in normal day to day driving FWD is better than RWD for year round use in areas that get snowy. Now ofcourse on a REAL sports car such as a Corvette Z06 ofcourse you would want RWD.

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 07-03-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
personally Id go with a TL-S over the IS350 any day.

you really cant drive a car to within 10/10ths of its abilities on the road, much less for those who have no track/autox experience. in those cases (which runs 99% of the time) the TL-S is the better machine. you get more value for your money in almost every aspect - power, cargo capacity, comfort and convenience items, looks, speed, maintenance, etc. on a Lexus 350, you spend more for pretty much the same things on the Acura TL-S.

Originally Posted by csmeance
agreed, to wit:

Name:  13190TLS_1.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  13190TLS_2.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  13190TLS_3.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  145.9 KB

lap times:

Name:  13190TLS_4.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  111.3 KB

1. TL-S 6MT - 1:36:67
2. IS350 - 1:38:24
3. G35 6MT - 1:38:67
4. Acura RDX - 1:44:54 (dunno why they included the RDX though)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Yeah im confused Acura has always been known as worlds ahead of everyone else.
Who told you this?
I spoke with the original owner of my TL-S the other day who sold the TL-S for a new Lexus. He straight out told me the Acura navigation system was far superior to his new Lexus system.
agreed. the Lexus may have the edge as far as the graphics display (much more smoother), but as far as how the Navi system worked, the Acura system is > over the Lexus system. I have a coworker with an IS250 nav and he said my navi responds much better and works much smoother.

Quick Reply: TL-S vs. IS350?