Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL-S vs. 255HP Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
TL-S vs. 255HP Accord Hybrid

Home for the summer (757 VA). One of my old friends from high school lives down the street. He used to drive a saturn. But I think I had a bad effect on him as far as the whole need for speed thing goes. (I used to rock the house in highschool-prelude style). Anyway, he comes over monday in his accord hybrid. It has 255 hp and i'm unsure of the torque, but anyway, its supposed to be MORE powerful than a standard v6 accord (How? I dont know). Well, around here these days, we all drive sedans (we all like the whole incognito, sleeper, "I'm an old person, Mr. Police Officer" look). He calls me and the TL-S (recently equipped with its 3rd tranny) out for a showdown. We went to catch the new Batman and headed out some ghost town named Chippokes. 30 miles of uninhabited ghost town that just happens to have a beautiful highway (Too bad it leads to nothing). So, just to be safe, we drive up for surveillance and agree to run it on the way back. Everything looks good...

Showdown 1: From a dig. We had a third party source (my neighbor, drives 96 accord) flash his brights 3 times (3rd equals go) from behind us, just to make sure everything was fair. I decided to go with gate shifting (which I've been practicing since someone on this forum recommended it to me, thanks). From first, i'm probably a half length ahead. By mid second, I had a half car length. Third, I was starting to walk on him reasonably well. I shut it down around 90. So we pull off to the side and he starts talking about some Electronic Shut Off that wont let him launch at all (it seemed like something that might actually happen in a hybrid)

Showdown 2: So I said, "Whatever, lets roll from 30." Same thing with the bright lights, except this time i'm in SS (no need for first gear)... The accord TIED me until third!!!!! And then the TL-S really came showed him up in 3rd walking him about 2.5 total car lenghts by the time I shut her down at 110.

Times like these remind me why I can't let go of that car.
Judging from experience, I think that hybrid IS actually faster than the regular V6! How does honda do it, those geniuses. Just thought I'd share that with the fellow TL crowd, first V6 Hybrid i've seen, much less beaten
Old 06-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Home for the summer (757 VA). One of my old friends from high school lives down the street. He used to drive a saturn. But I think I had a bad effect on him as far as the whole need for speed thing goes. (I used to rock the house in highschool-prelude style). Anyway, he comes over monday in his accord hybrid. It has 255 hp and i'm unsure of the torque, but anyway, its supposed to be MORE powerful than a standard v6 accord (How? I dont know). Well, around here these days, we all drive sedans (we all like the whole incognito, sleeper, "I'm an old person, Mr. Police Officer" look). He calls me and the TL-S (recently equipped with its 3rd tranny) out for a showdown. We went to catch the new Batman and headed out some ghost town named Chippokes. 30 miles of uninhabited ghost town that just happens to have a beautiful highway (Too bad it leads to nothing). So, just to be safe, we drive up for surveillance and agree to run it on the way back. Everything looks good...

Showdown 1: From a dig. We had a third party source (my neighbor, drives 96 accord) flash his brights 3 times (3rd equals go) from behind us, just to make sure everything was fair. I decided to go with gate shifting (which I've been practicing since someone on this forum recommended it to me, thanks). From first, i'm probably a half length ahead. By mid second, I had a half car length. Third, I was starting to walk on him reasonably well. I shut it down around 90. So we pull off to the side and he starts talking about some Electronic Shut Off that wont let him launch at all (it seemed like something that might actually happen in a hybrid)

Showdown 2: So I said, "Whatever, lets roll from 30." Same thing with the bright lights, except this time i'm in SS (no need for first gear)... The accord TIED me until third!!!!! And then the TL-S really came showed him up in 3rd walking him about 2.5 total car lenghts by the time I shut her down at 110.

Times like these remind me why I can't let go of that car.
Judging from experience, I think that hybrid IS actually faster than the regular V6! How does honda do it, those geniuses. Just thought I'd share that with the fellow TL crowd, first V6 Hybrid i've seen, much less beaten
The torque on the hybrid is marginally more. The hybrid is indeed faster than the regular V6 Accord sedan because the IMA system is a little electric motor sandwiched between the transmission and engine which gives a little bit of extra power. It really improves the low end grunt of the car. Plus that thing can get the fuel economy of a civic. Not a bad choice. What he was talking about with the electronic shutoff I don't know. Maybe his cylinder deactivation kicked in when it wasn't supposed to?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The Hybrid Accord has a BROAD powerband. I'm surprised he didn't beat you each and every time. With a better power to weight ratio, he should have.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The Hybrid Accord has a BROAD powerband. I'm surprised he didn't beat you each and every time. With a better power to weight ratio, he should have.
I would have definitely figured the AV6H to take a TL-S.

The dealership I'm working with to get my 05 Ody has one that I'm going to test drive after I close the Ody deal. If it had a moonroof, I would have considered one as a replacement for my 02 Maxima ESPECIALLY seeing as it's MPG is 29/37 AND it's built in Japan. (All it really needs is an upgraded wheel pkg.)
Old 06-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
damn I knew those hybrids were pretty quick...but I didnt think they should be able to take a TLS - I give an A+ to the engineers on that one
Old 06-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Are you guys positive? Maybe he hadn't broken it in yet?, it still smelt new. Ahh, guess I got uber lucky. But i'll take luck over a loss anyday.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 AM
Type SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another interesting result. From what I read on the magazines, Accord V6 is pretty fast.