Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL ? RX-8 ? or Lancer Evolution 8 ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL ? RX-8 ? or Lancer Evolution 8 ??

Thinking of getting one of these three.. any suggestions ?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speed Lancer, Little Lux and speed Rx-8,Lux and straight line speed TL
Old 04-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How about a test drive? ....really, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Each of those cars you mentioned have completely different personalities. No amount of words can describe what it will actually be like to drive one and how it will ultimately feel to YOU.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:30 PM
7th Gear

I test drove RX-8 and it's not that powerful. am waiting to test drive evo8 they only have them in stock next week.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:35 PM
100k miles club

these cars are way too different from one another to even compare. besides what blufox said above, you have:

TL = FWD, v6, sohc, sedan
RX-8 = RWD, rotary engine, coupe
EVO8 = AWD, 4 cyl, turbocharged, sedan
Old 04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro

what are you looking for in a car? probly we can help you more if you tell us what you want....
Old 04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
On the way!

I've test driven all three. They are very different cars indeed. You definitely need to drive them - pehaps multiple times - and experience them for yourself before you make a decision.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I've test driven all three. They are very different cars indeed. You definitely need to drive them - pehaps multiple times - and experience them for yourself before you make a decision.
i know its kinda hard to test drive an evo8..a couple of my buddies and i decided to test drive it at a dealer here in cerritos but the sales guy didn't want us to. he gave all sorts of excuses saying that we didn't need to test it because it was already a great a car and everyone knows it handles and performs really well. he was being a dick so we just left...well it's tgrue we just wanted to drive it for fun
Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 PM
On the way!

I found the same thing while trying to test drive the STI. Luckily they had a used one on the lot. They care about the mileage of the new cars, but the used ones are ripe for test driving if you can find them.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
i know its kinda hard to test drive an evo8..a couple of my buddies and i decided to test drive it at a dealer here in cerritos but the sales guy didn't want us to. he gave all sorts of excuses saying that we didn't need to test it because it was already a great a car and everyone knows it handles and performs really well. he was being a dick so we just left...well it's tgrue we just wanted to drive it for fun
that sucks. even if you weren't gonna buy it's still "customer service". i put that in quotes coz there are so many different meanings which is kinda sad nowadays since most place either don't know the meaning of it or have the wrong definition of it
Old 04-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

i dunno about the RX8, although the styling is great to look at that engine is something else. its a very nice alternative concept to the piston engine but the reliability is not all that great. its nice to be able to rev to 9K but the gas mileage and maintenance would scare me away. the Evo is very fast and superb handling car. i was thinking about getting one but the interior is very cheap plastic reminding me of a honda civic(no offense to civiv owners). for 30K i rather spend my money on the TL as its the perfect mix of sportiness and luxury. not to mention all the toys that come along with the car.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by w1n78
that sucks. even if you weren't gonna buy it's still "customer service". i put that in quotes coz there are so many different meanings which is kinda sad nowadays since most place either don't know the meaning of it or have the wrong definition of it
i kinda think it was also our fault. we really didn't look or act like we wanted to drive the car. aside from the fact that we drove into the dealership in my brand spankin NEW TL(that's when a sales agent went up to us right away ), we were kinda rowdy and just fooling around. i guess it was more of our attitude....and race? heheheh...i don't care...i got my TL and i just wanted to check out the evo8 for the hell of it...i drove the evo5 back home in the PI and it was freaking fast....don't get me wrong the evo8 is a nice car, i would've gotten it(if i had the money back then)...
Old 04-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Instructor

same thing with me when i went to drive the sti, thank god i went to the dc car show and saw the tl.. there is really no comparision... the doors on the sti felt like tin...hah hah still sick fast horrible turbo lag...jjay slv sixspd nav 18" rims spoiler
Old 04-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Instructor

I considered the Rx8, Sti, and the Evo 8, when I was going to purchase my car. I decided to go with the TL cause was it was more of an "Adults" car. I wasn't into the whole "kiddy ricer" look anymore. That goes peticurly true with the STI and the Evo 8 with all the hood scoops and the big wing. Don't get me wrong I do like the way they look but my tastes have grown up. I want a quiet and smooth car instead of a loud and rough ride. I have my TL for smooth cruising and my Single Turbo 93 Rx7 to scare the bejeezus out of the STI and EVO 8 owners The TL is a classy car with power to boot and it does it quietly and smoothly. The materials are top notch compared to the STI and Evo which seem inferior.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tempatsampah
I'm not sure they are really comparable, the RX-8 is a coupe with unusable back seats. The lancer is a Mitsubishi, need I say more?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Instructor

I do love the Rx8s' interior though
Old 04-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced

It really depends on what kind of car you want.. I don't even think you should even consider getting RX-8.. besides from what I hear turbo RX8 is coming soon... my roommate just got Evo and the car really is remarkable.. what I am most impressed is how it handles.. yes it's quick, but it sticks to any road rock solid... unlike me he wants something quick and something that can tear everyone on the road... I am in the market for something more luxurious.. and 6 sp TL is perfect for me.. i am still shopping though.. I got to get an engagement ring first... ARGH!... oh yeah and you can evo for around 28k....
Old 04-11-2004, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

g unit brupppp woof woof
Old 04-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo is all about performance. Few cars come even close. However, it is also noisy and rides rough. A good friend ended up with the Evo after considering these three and is extremely happy. He has other vehicles for trips so the Evo is just used locally. I ended up with the 6 sp TL. I wanted a car that had a decent level of performance, but also the features and comfort that allow it be used on trips. The RX8 is kind of in the middle. Excellent handling, decent ride (at least in comparison to the Evo), but really has to be spun up to get decent acceleration. I have driven my buddies Evo and it is just has amazing acceleration and grip. On a 30 minute ride in the country there is nothing that comes close. However, I would hate to be driving this car on any kind of trip. That's where the TL really shines and I know I made the right choice.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Well I hope I don't offend anyone but the EVO and STI are basically kids cars. All about performance and looks and not interior comfort and smooth rides. Don't get me wrong I do like the cars but they're just a tad too childish for me. I prefer luxuriousness coupled with some decent power of which the TL provides plenty of. I compare it too wearing sneakers and shoes. Sooner or later you outgrow sneakers.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

i test drove the evo a few times. All I could say is awesome!!!!! But I couldn't see spending that kind of money for just power. Nothing else to the car, that's why it was the tl all the way.Plus I already had a 02 TL-s! You get a hell of alot more in the tl. You must already know that.
04 deep green pearl 5at
Old 04-11-2004, 11:19 PM
GTHREEFIVE

Out of those three I would go with the TL. The EVO's interior is cheap...because your basically paying for an out of the box ready racer.

The RX-8 is nice to look at once in awhile but everyday?? Imagine trying to sell that car in 5 years?

The TL has a classic look and catches my eye everytime I drive by one. I was going to wait on the 04's but fell in love with my G. If I had a second choice it would be the TL, and if I had a first choice sedan it would be the TL over the 4 door G35.

Good Luck.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:25 PM
User Registered

I say EVO... if you drive around town for work and play, nothing that requires long distance. The EVO was an absolute blast to drive, even more so than the STI. If I didn't travel so much, I'd be in the EVO with a full Vishnu Tuning Stage 2 (550-600 bhp) kit. All for the same low price of my TL 6MT Navi.

If you drive a lot and distances, get the TL. Comfort and performance in one. I drove 800 miles (multi-state) after picking up the TL and I could have driven 800 more no problem. Audio delight, performance on tap, and comfortable in every aspect.

RX-8? Please! Don't even bother with this Viper look-alike reject of a car. I test drove it too. Zoom-Zoom my a$$. Fast? No. Quick? No. Nimble? Maybe. Attention getter? Somewhat. Worth it? Don't bother wasting brain cells even thinking about it. This release is in dire need of Forced Induction and/or all wheel drive.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-12-2004, 07:54 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tempatsampah
I don't want to be bias but I will go w/the TL no question about it.

The Lancer Evolution is a real fast car but with that $$ spent who couldn't make their car fast w/aftermarket performance kits such as Turbo charge. The car looks cheap and feels cheap inside. Over price car!!

The RX-8 is a really nice sporty car but common Mazda??? Aren't they run by Ford MOtors now. The only thing I don't like in this car is the small door you have to open up to get in to the rear seats. Is that not a carbon copy of the Saturn cars. I think that is so tacky!!

The TL is best choice here in terms of quality and reliability and sporty looks with well money spent here. The car looks awesome from inside to outside and has 270 horses to spare.

Go test drive all three cars and you'll know what i mean.