3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL leather...Replace it, dye it, or just keep cleaning it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL leather...Replace it, dye it, or just keep cleaning it?

I have used 05 TL with taupe leather. The previous owner didn't take care of it, so I had the leather detailed. It's a lot better, but it just doesn't have a sharp look to it, and in some lights it looks a little grungy. It doesn't "pop" for a lack of better way of explaining it. It just does not seem to be the best quality leather, and from reading the board here I think a lot of people agree with me.

One options is I can have it dyed to a lighter color. The individual that offered to do it is pretty reputable, but I don't know anything about doing this.

Another options is I just just keep cleaning it and putting conditioner on it to try to get it looking close to like it was when it was sold.

Finally I can just have the leather replaced. I just got it and plan on keeping it for a few years, so at the very least I'll enjoy the investment. Sounds like I could do it for 12-15 hundred. Also, one individual offered to do vinyl for less than $1000. He said that it looks and feels the same as leather and will actually hold up much better over the long run..any truth to that one?

Any advice out there? Thank you very much.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by omelet1978
I have used 05 TL with taupe leather. The previous owner didn't take care of it, so I had the leather detailed. It's a lot better, but it just doesn't have a sharp look to it, and in some lights it looks a little grungy. It doesn't "pop" for a lack of better way of explaining it. It just does not seem to be the best quality leather, and from reading the board here I think a lot of people agree with me.

One options is I can have it dyed to a lighter color. The individual that offered to do it is pretty reputable, but I don't know anything about doing this.

Another options is I just just keep cleaning it and putting conditioner on it to try to get it looking close to like it was when it was sold.

Finally I can just have the leather replaced. I just got it and plan on keeping it for a few years, so at the very least I'll enjoy the investment. Sounds like I could do it for 12-15 hundred. Also, one individual offered to do vinyl for less than $1000. He said that it looks and feels the same as leather and will actually hold up much better over the long run..any truth to that one?

Any advice out there? Thank you very much.
I think that most of the seat is vinyl and the only leather is the perferated section in the middle. I have also seen cars that were re-dyed and they looked extreamly good. I would look at re-dyeing first.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think cleaning, I ignored my leather for some time due to school and work never having time. Then one day I did a lexol leather cleaner and conditioner the cracks began to get better and the overall color got better. I was once in your boat when I was looking at my leathers from hoping in and out of the car. Give this method some consideration if you dont feel happy with the results, heck you only spent a couple bucks on two bottles. Just my
I have black seats.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I bought a bottle of conditioner and plan on using most of it on the leather this weekend. We will see how it goes.

I'm also going to get a price quote on the dye install. I'm just curious as to how long it lasts when you do that though...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Leather gets "better" with age with proper care. It builds "character" over time. Take your wallets for example. Just clean it and keep it in good condition.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 AM
私を知らない

you can always check out a product called Leatherique. Pretty good feedback from a lot of people on the detailing forums. I use it myself for my detailing thing I do on the side.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Camel toes in my garage

What product is used to stop the "Cleaning my leather wallet out"??? Oh boy, I think I have a problem. I'm going to start a new club called "TLA" Total Luxury Anonymous" We'll all call ourselves Happy.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL Peak N
What product is used to stop the "Cleaning my leather wallet out"??? Oh boy, I think I have a problem. I'm going to start a new club called "TLA" Total Luxury Anonymous" We'll all call ourselves Happy.
What?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced

http://www.summitinds.com/product/le...-w-sponge.html

This seem like a good buy? Should I apply the cleaner then conditioner?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use anything but Lexol products on the leather, but it seems that, long term, the taupe just darkens up a bit. I don't know of any way to stop it.

My '95 Accord EX did it (original owner)
My '02 TL-S is doing it.
My '06 TL still looks as new.

I think it's just long term dye transfer from clothing, combined with the sun fade. The '06 is more garage-kept than the others were, so we'll see if that makes a difference in 8 more years. I'll get back to you...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why they charged too much for vinyl? leather cost about $600 parts. I dont think $600 for labor.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by T Ho
I don't use anything but Lexol products on the leather, but it seems that, long term, the taupe just darkens up a bit. I don't know of any way to stop it.

My '95 Accord EX did it (original owner)
My '02 TL-S is doing it.
My '06 TL still looks as new.

I think it's just long term dye transfer from clothing, combined with the sun fade. The '06 is more garage-kept than the others were, so we'll see if that makes a difference in 8 more years. I'll get back to you...

So I actually know very little about this. Is all leather in cars dyed at some point to gray, black, tan, etc...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
If you haven't used magic eraser yet, try that. Magic erase that bitch..very gently with warm water and see that leather come back to life! You can only do this no more than 2 or 3 x.. any more that that and you are asking for trouble.

Make sure to get some good leather conditioner, lexol will do, after your done with that. Take before and after photos because you will see the night and day difference!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

So I actually know very little about this. Is all leather in cars dyed at some point to gray, black, tan, etc...
Yes. You don't find too many red cows, now do you?
When I said dye transfer, I meant like the blues from your jeans that will transfer down into the seat over time- years and years of use. That, and long term exposure to the sun changes the color of anything, and leather dyes would be no exception.

If it's in good shape physically (no rips, big cracks), I'd go with a re-dye over replacement. You save a lot- heck you can even DIY.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
can you take a picture of your seat? My seats had 70K on them and I've been a religious user of lexol. I tried leatherique and my seats were brought to life, the darkness was gone and the cloths I used to clean the seats were black with dirt.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

just dnt clean your leather too often. This could be a problem if you over condition.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
私を知らない

Originally Posted by gg378a
just dnt clean your leather too often. This could be a problem if you over condition.
what kind of problems would we encounter if we over condition? I've never heard of this one.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Here's a picture of what happens when you use the Magic Eraser. Look at the left half and compare it to the right half.. amazing!

Name:  P6031757.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Here's a picture of what happens when you use the Magic Eraser. Look at the left half and compare it to the right half.. amazing!
The magic eraser has a ton of abrasives, leather in the TL has a thin coating of poly something that protects it from the leather loosing color and getting excessively dirty. By using the eraser, you take of a layer of the coating. Soon you will have little to none left and literally rekill the leather.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xtcxjigga
you can always check out a product called Leatherique. Pretty good feedback from a lot of people on the detailing forums. I use it myself for my detailing thing I do on the side.
Is it the prestine clean product I should get? I looked at the pictures on the website and it seems like it does make a difference.

Oh, and I don't think I'm allowed to post pictures just yet for some reason...
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Is it the prestine clean product I should get? I looked at the pictures on the website and it seems like it does make a difference.

Oh, and I don't think I'm allowed to post pictures just yet for some reason...
you can, just make a photo gallery and link the photos, you have enough posts and time... Also its good to have both the pristine clean and the rejuvenator oil. The pristine clean helps clean the leather up before applying the rejuvenator oil so it can be absorbed by the leather.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM
私を知らない

^^ what he said. I only use magic eraser in the house. Prestine clean is the one. They have a few sizes. I bought the 32oz for both of them since I also detail cars. After cleaning the leather it will look better.

Make sure you apply the rejuvenator oil on a hot day. Its needs to be baked in the car. Put large garbage bags or something like that over the seats since it will create moisture and you will see all the black stuff come off.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by xtcxjigga
^^ what he said. I only use magic eraser in the house. Prestine clean is the one. They have a few sizes. I bought the 32oz for both of them since I also detail cars. After cleaning the leather it will look better.

Make sure you apply the rejuvenator oil on a hot day. Its needs to be baked in the car. Put large garbage bags or something like that over the seats since it will create moisture and you will see all the black stuff come off.
What I did when I did my TL seats was take a mixture of water and woolite (5:1) and then went over the leather to get rid of heavy surface soiling, etc. Then I wiped with a damp cloth (water only), then dry cloth. I then went over with prestine Clean followed by a damp towel, then dry. Then apply the oil. Use a sprayer, it helps a bit to spread the oil. As well don't use more than 4 OZ a seat. I used 2-3 realistically per seat.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Here is how I have always cleaned my leather:

1. Tan/Light color leather: Clean every 2-3 months

2. Black color leather: Clean every 4-6 months

How to clean:

1. Choose a warm day or have your heater run on full for at least 10-15 minutes. Leather and heat get along well. If your leather is clean and you just want to add shine, skip to step-5 and beyond.

2. Start with the vertical portion of the seat. Headrest comes first. That way if any excess liquid/conditioner drips below..its still safe.

3. Do one section at a time. Don't rub the conditioner on all four seats at once. Do one seat at a time. (I wont go into the details of how to use the conditioner, what conditioner to use and what sponge to use etc. It doesn't matter what brands you use. I used leather-care foam sprays to soapy-moist wipes and they all do the trick...depending on how dirty the seats are)

4. Wipe excess conditioner off and keep a spray bottle (filled with water) handy to rinse out the conditioner. Wipe the seats dry. Don't be afraid to use water on leather. Contrary to the earlier belief, most leather (is really vinyl now) and today’s leathers are actually dyed in water tubs.

5. Get a bottle of baby oil (I like "Johnson & Johnson") and a thin sponge (or a cloth glove). A thin sponge will go into all the little corners while a glove is easy to maneuver. Pour oil onto the sponge ( or the glove) and rub the seats with it. (Just like you would apply a moisturizing cream). Don’t miss any area. Get all the corners. Be a little more liberal with oil on the back seats because they are usually in a better condition than the driver seat and retain shine for a longer period.

6. Wipe out excess oil with another (dry) sponge. When done, dip this sponge in a little warm-water and squeeze out the water. Keep this sponge.

7. Now take a little hair-gel (just a little) and apply to the sponge. Rub gently on the seats. This looks great on "black leather" and gives it a wet look. Essentially what happens is that the oil goes into all the cracks (and folds) and the hair gel kinda seals them. For all 4 seats (total)..Use one-fourth of what you would use on your hair.

8. Close all doors and run the heater again on full for 15 minutes. This time.. leave some citrus (lemon or orange) rinds (just the rinds..scoop away the fruit content) on the floor of the car. The soothing smell will penetrate the leather (and overall interior) for a lasting fresh scent.

9. I sometimes leave the rinds for a few days during the summer.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by akash4u
Here is how I have always cleaned my leather:

1. Tan/Light color leather: Clean every 2-3 months

2. Black color leather: Clean every 4-6 months

How to clean:

1. Choose a warm day or have your heater run on full for at least 10-15 minutes. Leather and heat get along well. If your leather is clean and you just want to add shine, skip to step-5 and beyond.

2. Start with the vertical portion of the seat. Headrest comes first. That way if any excess liquid/conditioner drips below..its still safe.

3. Do one section at a time. Don't rub the conditioner on all four seats at once. Do one seat at a time. (I wont go into the details of how to use the conditioner, what conditioner to use and what sponge to use etc. It doesn't matter what brands you use. I used leather-care foam sprays to soapy-moist wipes and they all do the trick...depending on how dirty the seats are)

4. Wipe excess conditioner off and keep a spray bottle (filled with water) handy to rinse out the conditioner. Wipe the seats dry. Don't be afraid to use water on leather. Contrary to the earlier belief, most leather (is really vinyl now) and today’s leathers are actually dyed in water tubs.

5. Get a bottle of baby oil (I like "Johnson & Johnson") and a thin sponge (or a cloth glove). A thin sponge will go into all the little corners while a glove is easy to maneuver. Pour oil onto the sponge ( or the glove) and rub the seats with it. (Just like you would apply a moisturizing cream). Don’t miss any area. Get all the corners. Be a little more liberal with oil on the back seats because they are usually in a better condition than the driver seat and retain shine for a longer period.

6. Wipe out excess oil with another (dry) sponge. When done, dip this sponge in a little warm-water and squeeze out the water. Keep this sponge.

7. Now take a little hair-gel (just a little) and apply to the sponge. Rub gently on the seats. This looks great on "black leather" and gives it a wet look. Essentially what happens is that the oil goes into all the cracks (and folds) and the hair gel kinda seals them. For all 4 seats (total)..Use one-fourth of what you would use on your hair.

8. Close all doors and run the heater again on full for 15 minutes. This time.. leave some citrus (lemon or orange) rinds (just the rinds..scoop away the fruit content) on the floor of the car. The soothing smell will penetrate the leather (and overall interior) for a lasting fresh scent.

9. I sometimes leave the rinds for a few days during the summer.
Why would anyone want the "wet look" on their leather?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:39 PM
9th Gear

The best way to take care of leather is to only clean it with saddle soap and let it air dry. I use a bowl of hot water and a micro fiber rag. I moisten the rag, rub it in the saddle soap and then scrub the seats vigorously. This cleans the leather thoroughly, and the hot moisture relaxes the leather which will pull tight again once it drys. The key is that it drys completely. The seats in my TL we're a little relaxed due to the overuse of softening cleaners. When I cleaned them this way, the seats began to heal and pull tight again. The finish is dull (like new) and healthy looking. Most of the cleaners that I've experienced don't give the desired result of retaining the original taughtness or maintaining the original finish. Saddle soap is the only thing that I found that actually does.

Last edited by mhackl; 05-21-2014 at 06:42 PM.