Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Interior Disassembly Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Interior Disassembly Instructions

I tried looking around on the forum and ran a couple searches but I couldn't find anything anywhere about diassembly instructions for the interior of an 04-06 TL. I'm specifically trying to take apart the silver strips and radio/center console area.

Anyone have any links or threads?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Racer

There's a thread on installing the short shifter that has great pictures. Not sure about the radio area but it's got everything from there back.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
To remove the metal strips, use a plastic, beveled spackling knife (available from Home Depot for probably $1-2. Cover the beveled end in a paper towel or other thin cloth (old T shirt or underwear would work well. Place the covered beveled edge under the back portion of the metal strip (it will lift slightly)- a light tap with a rubber mallet might help, but is likely not needed. Do all of this with the rear console hatch open. Twist the knife, and the back portion of the strip will pop up. You then have to clear the strip of all of it's clips. This is the hard part, because you will think you're going to break the strip. Pull firmly upward, but be careful not to bend the strip. As you free each of the clips, the strip will splay outward from the console. Continue pulling as you move forward near the radio stack. After all is clear, just remove all of the screws to access the radio and remove the console (assuming this is what you want to do). Reinstalling the strips is easy, just line them up and push on the clips til they lock in.

Check this link- it even has a schematic for the console:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90964
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
By the way, if you're looking to get to the back of the radio (say, for an iPod install and to access the 14 pin connector), you don't need to remove the radio- I did mine by just removing the driver's console panel (knee panel) and the lower dash cover. This is much easier than taking out the console.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
There's a thread on installing the short shifter that has great pictures. Not sure about the radio area but it's got everything from there back.
Check out my DIY guide: DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install

It contains a link to jmbnova's short shifter thread as well as Ron A's scans for removing everything necessary for a backup camera install. In step #6, I talk about removing the center console.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Pro

Thanks for the help guys.

Erdoc, I'm actually trying to get to the brain of my USA Spec iPod adapter. Originally, I had the unit installed by my installer but I recently ordered the updated and compatible version of the adapter for our TL. I just need to swap out the units but don't think I need to go back to my installer to do that. But I've also never really taken apart this area of the car before so I'm kinda fearful of messing something up.

The wire from the USA Spec comes out from the silver trim on the passenger side and hooks into the ProClip mount on the passenger side. Because of that, I'm guessing that the unit for the USA Spec is right under the silver trim or under the center console area. Also based upon this, does anyone have any ideas of the pieces that I might actually need to take apart? This way I can avoid taking apart unncessary parts of the interior too.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hands on approach is always the best, this is so you know how to fix something later on if it does fail. Just look at all the links, and whateveryou do be gentle with the trim! By the way what is updated with the new UsaSpec? Mine works fully without problems, and I could only guess it is the older unit.

It sounds bad but the easiest way to do things is to take out the entire centerconsole, navi screen and everything. I did this without any problems. I took the navi screen out so I could have a better place to put the usaSpec brain unit. At this point all we can do is spectulate where your installer put the unit, so who knows exactly where it is except him. Just follow the intructions and photo's and you will have no problem
Old 11-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
Hands on approach is always the best, this is so you know how to fix something later on if it does fail. Just look at all the links, and whateveryou do be gentle with the trim! By the way what is updated with the new UsaSpec? Mine works fully without problems, and I could only guess it is the older unit.

It sounds bad but the easiest way to do things is to take out the entire centerconsole, navi screen and everything. I did this without any problems. I took the navi screen out so I could have a better place to put the usaSpec brain unit. At this point all we can do is spectulate where your installer put the unit, so who knows exactly where it is except him. Just follow the intructions and photo's and you will have no problem
Apparently the updated USA Spec got rid of all the previous bugs from the previous one like the XM bleeding issue, nothing showing up on the Audio screen when the CD-C screen shows (this includes like track number and info), nothing showing up on the dash clock, etc. There are definitely a few more updates that were made but I haven't received the unit yet so I don't know for sure. You can check the last page on the thread on the USA Spec by jaymd123 to get more details.

I'll contact my installer first to see where he actually put the brain of the unit. My guess though is that he couldn't have it put ir too far from the silver trim because that's where the connecting wire comes out of it. Hopefully it's not hidden behind the Nav or something. Then I would have no choice but to take everything apart.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slimmyjimmy
I'll contact my installer first to see where he actually put the brain of the unit. My guess though is that he couldn't have it put ir too far from the silver trim because that's where the connecting wire comes out of it. Hopefully it's not hidden behind the Nav or something. Then I would have no choice but to take everything apart.
Just because the line is coming out of the silver doesn't me its right there. The line is 3-4ft long and can reach pretty far. There are limited places to put the brain, and could require you to take off a few different pieces to get to it. I did put mine behind the nav screen, just because there was more space back there and less hassle for me.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
Just because the line is coming out of the silver doesn't me its right there. The line is 3-4ft long and can reach pretty far. There are limited places to put the brain, and could require you to take off a few different pieces to get to it. I did put mine behind the nav screen, just because there was more space back there and less hassle for me.
Dang. My guess then is that he did put it behind the Nav screen. After I get in touch with him and find out exactly where he put it, I'll let you know.