Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL / G35 (initial comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Official Site Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttliang
...and coupe don't fit my golf clubs etc..one could care less.
Actually it holds 2 golf bags (there is a diagram sticker attached in the trunk to show you how).

Since everyone else is giving their opinion, why not throw mine into the mix too.

Since 1998, the wife and I have owned the following vehicles:
1998 Honda Accord EX-V6 (loaded) - sold @ 98,000 miles
2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited (loaded) - 70,000 miles and going strong
2004.5 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (supercharged) - sold and made a killing!
2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD - 1500 miles new

I've went the honda, toyota, nissan route and think my opinion is as good as anyones....
*Toyota is HANDS DOWN the nicer choice when it comes to fit, finish and quality. Second place would have to be the older honda (but from what I'm reading the Infiniti definitely beats out the troubles Acura seems to be having with the TL).

*The Infiniti service is the top of the 3 companies with Toyota a close second. I hope for you guys sake that Acura service is better than Honda or God help you.

*Styling would be tied between Infiniti (G35 coupe) and Acura (TL) with a slight edge to Infiniti.

*Resale goes to Infiniti for darn sure. I drove my Infiniti for 2 years for less money than I could have leased a Civic.

*Handling - Infiniti hands down

*Comfortable Ride - Tied between Toyota and Honda with Infiniti way in the back of the pack.
On a side note, the Infiniti seats were AWESOME if you're under 200 pounds (I went from 215 lbs. to 180 lbs. and the seats went from "barely manageable" to PERFECT).

I'm a huge admirer of the TL's styling and interior, which is why I'm here, but from my own personal experiences I'll be sticking with Toyota from here on out for my choice of daily drivers.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:47 AM
tTLiang

^^ in and out plus pull carts was the problem for me. cousin got one and I scouted thoroughly. plus i had to pull the drivers out the bags. royal pain in the ass. definitely not for golfers. but then again i saw a 911 turbo guy put them in the front seat (convertable). that's just nuts. you can always justify if you love the car enough.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by neffster
On a side note, the Infiniti seats were AWESOME if you're under 200 pounds (I went from 215 lbs. to 180 lbs. and the seats went from "barely manageable" to PERFECT).

And that makes it ridiculous. Why design seats that cant handle someone over 200 lbs? In fact, Im only 185 lbs, maybe it's my near 48" chest but the reality of it is I dont fit well and it causes lower body pain. (Maybe there is some problem with sitting someone with a 31" waist?)

All I know is that I like the G but can't own one for that reason.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Black Mamba

Don't pay any attention to that FOB crm_codder. I can barely understand what he's saying. His English is just as bad as his reasons for hating on the G.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TCMS
And that makes it ridiculous. Why design seats that cant handle someone over 200 lbs? In fact, Im only 185 lbs, maybe it's my near 48" chest but the reality of it is I dont fit well and it causes lower body pain. (Maybe there is some problem with sitting someone with a 31" waist?)

All I know is that I like the G but can't own one for that reason.
I'm 210 with a 44" chest, and my G35 is actually more comfortable than our TL. But that's not to say the TL is uncomfortable, it still is. However, I find that getting out of the TL to be a little awkward, because it seems I have to contort my back a little to get out. Then again, I herniated/ruptured 2 discs in my back, so I"m a little sensitive.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Cool

Actually it holds 2 golf bags (there is a diagram sticker attached in the trunk to show you how).

.. snip ..

*Comfortable Ride - Tied between Toyota and Honda with Infiniti way in the back of the pack.[/INDENT]On a side note, the Infiniti seats were AWESOME if you're under 200 pounds (I went from 215 lbs. to 180 lbs. and the seats went from "barely manageable" to PERFECT).

I'm a huge admirer of the TL's styling and interior, which is why I'm here, but from my own personal experiences I'll be sticking with Toyota from here on out for my choice of daily drivers.

Well, I traded the TL for the G (and opened this can of worms) so after a week here's my on the seats. Infiniti's are slightly better. Each car has it's own pluses / minuses. I give the seats edge to the G. I'm 209 (used to be 285 had an F150, at 240 got the TL) and find the seats slightly more comfortable. Now the QUALITY and appearance of the seats / leather - INFINITI HANDS DOWN, after all has anyone ever seen a cow whose hide was as thin as the TL's leather. I'm not sure the newspaper is as thin as the TL's leather. As to the comfort factor, alot probably depends on each persons build.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Instructor

neffster--

So, when compared to a pair of Toyota trucks and an Accord, the G35 coupe takes the handling crown? Any other result would be a huge surprise. The rest was informative, though.

I'm not a large person, so seat bolsters tend to be too widely spaced for me. It's always puzzled me that more performance-oriented cars don't include seats with adjustable bolsters, as the BMW 3er now does with the Sport Package. Power seats usually run about $100 per adjustment (this is the amount I use in my price comparisons).

Who here would pay $100 for power adjustable bolsters on the driver's seat? What about $200 for both front seats? Who would not?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
I'm 210 with a 44" chest, and my G35 is actually more comfortable than our TL. But that's not to say the TL is uncomfortable, it still is. However, I find that getting out of the TL to be a little awkward, because it seems I have to contort my back a little to get out. Then again, I herniated/ruptured 2 discs in my back, so I"m a little sensitive.
I've had that too!!! It's funny how big a difference 1 or 2 centimeters make with a herniated disc.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow thats surprising, because i am 5'11 150lbs (thats about average isnt it?) and didnt think the seats were comfortable. i didnt think they were unbearable just uncomfortable
Old 01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkaresh
neffster--

So, when compared to a pair of Toyota trucks and an Accord, the G35 coupe takes the handling crown? Any other result would be a huge surprise. The rest was informative, though.

Who here would pay $100 for power adjustable bolsters on the driver's seat? What about $200 for both front seats? Who would not?
I'm not sure that's a 'real' good assesment of the G or any sports sedan. Refrencing Car & Driver march 2004, the G took Best sports sedan under 35k, #2 BMW, #3 the 2004 TL. I'd expect a neon to out handle a tacoma, and I know (from having one) that a tacoma will go where most (not all) 4x4 fear to tread, much less any sedan.

I believe that what he was saying is HE liked the G's handling, not give it the handling crown because it out handles a sequoia. A sequoia handles like a garbage truck, the tacoma is better, it handles like a UPS truck. Further his point was to dispute the rest of the post, I believe my clubs will fit (will test this over the weekend), however I'm not sure about 2 sets.

As for the G's Bose, after a year and a half in the TL, it's nice to hear some bass, unfortunatly the highs are not as good as the TL. Some people love the BOSE some don't, I wouldn't say it's great, but I wouldn't say it sucks.

I'm with you on the seats, not only would I pay $200 for bolsters, I'd toss in another $100 if the G had power lumbar.

It seems they are similar cars, with similar issues, except the G has 298hp & RWD.

just my
Old 01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

This is off-topic, but addresses an earlier post in the thread, so please accept my apologies.

Why do people think that simply because the forum is online, allowances should be made for the use of less-than-acceptable grammar, spelling, etc.? It's not like we're being asked to write a thesis...just to use the language in a basically literate manner.

Please understand, I'm not talking about casual usage or even the web "shorthand" (IMHO, ROFL, etc.)...that's fine and totally acceptable. What I mean is the display (intentional or otherwise) of a total lack of regard and/or knowledge of the basic structure of the language.

If someone misstates the rated hp of a vehicle, the "detail-police" are immediately deployed with flame-throwers, but spelling mistakes or poor sentence construction (or the ABSENCE of construction as some posts have been in this thread) are disregarded as trivial? Somehow those two actions don't balance.

And I always enjoy the "this isn't English class" rejoinder.....that's true, it's NOT English class...this is where we should be USING what we learned (or were supposed to have learned) in English class.

Sorry for the rant, it's just the teacher in me. I now await the flames...please use correct grammar and spelling. LOL!!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:19 PM
tTLiang

o mi gud. i m a foringner. police don't mikey me leef heer. l lav this cite anduh mi ca.用中文如何? lol
Old 01-06-2006, 03:25 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

o mi gud. i m a foringner. police don't mikey me leef heer. l lav this cite anduh mi ca.用中文如何? lol
Old 01-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

o mi gud. i m a foringner. police don't mikey me leef heer. l lav this cite anduh mi ca.?????? lol

Now DAT'S what I'm talking about.....good Engrish!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Racer

As someone who enjoys words and meanings, I have to say I find the absence of construction of many posts to be refreshing. Facts are facts (i.e. horsepower), but how one chooses to express themself is entirely a personal decision and unencumbered by convention regardless of what one might consider "acceptable". I mean no offense, Dkrudop, but I find it hard to believe that a music teacher (am I right?) would find freedom of expression problematic...
Old 01-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
This is off-topic, but addresses an earlier post in the thread, so please accept my apologies.

It's not like we're being asked to write a thesis...just to use the language in a basically literate manner.

Please understand, I'm not talking about casual usage or even the web "shorthand" (IMHO, ROFL, etc.)...that's fine and totally acceptable. What I mean is the display (intentional or otherwise) of a total lack of regard and/or knowledge of the basic structure of the language.

If someone misstates the rated hp of a vehicle, the "detail-police" are immediately deployed with flame-throwers, but spelling mistakes or poor sentence construction (or the ABSENCE of construction as some posts have been in this thread) are disregarded as trivial? Somehow those two actions don't balance.

And I always enjoy the "this isn't English class" rejoinder.....that's true, it's NOT English class...this is where we should be USING what we learned (or were supposed to have learned) in English class.

Sorry for the rant, it's just the teacher in me. I now await the flames...please use correct grammar and spelling. LOL!!
We've been conditioned to this. It's like when you go in and buy something and the price is 17.77, you give the clerk 20.02 expecting 2.25 back, well unless that IBM cash register tells the clerk to give you 2.25, you're going to have to wait till the clerk subtracts 17.77 from your 20, gives you back 2.23 takes back the 23 cents and your additional 2 cents, and add this up to 25 cents. At this point you can look at the clerk (johnny physicist) and say "Dude, change it to a quarter". Once Johnny realizes that 5 pennies, 2 nickels, and a dime = 1 quarter, you can get on your way. This clearly shows that the education system failed years ago and we are all just waiting for the downfall of society. pun intended
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Now DAT'S what I'm talking about.....good Engrish!
OK you didn't get it. those ????? in your post were actually Chinese. switch to traditional chinese coding in ur browser and u'll c it. they mean "how about we use chinese to post".
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dug-mac
As someone who enjoys words and meanings, I have to say I find the absence of construction of many posts to be refreshing. Facts are facts (i.e. horsepower), but how one chooses to express themself is entirely a personal decision and unencumbered by convention regardless of what one might consider "acceptable". I mean no offense, Dkrudop, but I find it hard to believe that a music teacher (am I right?) would find freedom of expression problematic...

No offense taken, my friend. I, too, enjoy words and meanings and find great interest in their creative and imaginative use. Neither do I have a problem with freedom of expression.....people absolutely have the right and the opportunity to say what they feel/believe.

My concern is with people who can't (or won't) express themselves in a clear, literate manner. One can't be truly expressive if they don't have (or use) a mastery of the tools FOR expression. In music, true artistic expression is not possible without a certain level of mastery of one's instrument. If you play "crappy," it's crappy no matter how much expression you may feel you're putting into it. I simply believe the same is true in the use of the language.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

OK you didn't get it. those ????? in your post were actually Chinese. switch to traditional chinese coding in ur browser and u'll c it. they mean "how about we use chinese to post".

The characters did, indeed make it through to my browser and I understand your point. My apologies on the "Engrish,"....I meant no offense, but it was a poor attempt at humor and obviously failed miserably.

However, the main language in use on this board is English, so I rather believe the point is moot. Let me clarify further: it is often clear if a poster's first language is other than English; very often their attempt at using the language properly is better than some born-and-bred Americans, but even if it's not the effort is apparent. I guess perhaps what irritates is the transparent laziness on the part of too many people today to even try to express themselves in a clear, concise, coherent manner....opting instead for "stream-of-consciousness" blather. It's simply a matter of thinking before you write....not just spouting gibberish.

Both recent posts disagreeing with me were written clearly and concisely, with easily understood points...that's all I'm asking for (though some capital letters would be nice, too....but I digress.) You didn't flame, you didn't spout...you disagreed with me in a literate, well-constructed manner and I appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
A teacher, as should all of us, should be more tolerant towards those who may not have had the advantage of an education, may be trying to use a language that is not their first or even their second native language, or any of the myriad of reasons why some people cannot construct a sentence that meets your approval.

The horsepower of a vehicle is a fact, meaning it is something that can be proved. The reason for using bad grammar is not something that can easily be proved or attributed to a known thing because we do not personally know the person who is doing that.

If you don't like what a person says, rebut it all you want, but if you don't like how a person says something, suck it up and get over it or don't read that persons posts.

Unless we can prove that a person is purposely using bad grammar just to be a wise guy or stir things up, we will defend that persons right to post in this forum by whatever means they may need to use to convey their thoughts.

So, to repeat what trancemission so eloquently said in an earlier post: "and for everything thats sacred and holy, stop correcting grammer and spelling!!!!!. you're not being graded on your posts...."

And dug-mac also expressed it perfectly in his recent post.

And please let this be the end of the grammar/spelling/sentence construction discussions.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Racer

Without wanting to sound argumentative, I see this issue in a different light. There was a time when "good" poetry rhymed and anything that didn't rhyme was considered coarse and unpalatable. Times changed and more contemporary writers no longer wanted to be boxed in and essentially limited by the convention of having to express themselves in rhyming couplets, etc. What changed was the notion of what was acceptable and what followed was a change in the notion of what is good. If you say that some of the posts on here are "crappy", I feel you are really saying that because they break with convention they are not good, and not necessarily that they are bad because they lack expressiveness. I don't believe that one must first master the tools of communication to convey what truly exists on the inside...
Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

And so it continues. Which I asked it not to. Because this is supposed to be a TL / G35 (initial comparison) thread.

So if we can't get back to the original topic, then the thread has obviously run its course and should be closed.

On third thought, since the entire third page of this thread is off-topic, it might as well be closed.

But that would be penalizing the originator of the thread for something over which he has no control.

Which is kind of what causes some people to use bad grammar or spelling.

Oh, we're back to that again?

So I'll wait and see what the next post looks like, which I wouldn't be able to do if I closed the thread.

What a quandary.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ron A
And so it continues. Which I asked it not to. Because this is supposed to be a TL / G35 (initial comparison) thread.

So if we can't get back to the original topic, then the thread has obviously run its course and should be closed.

On third thought, since the entire third page of this thread is off-topic, it might as well be closed.

But that would be penalizing the originator of the thread for something over which he has no control.

Which is kind of what causes some people to use bad grammar or spelling.

Oh, we're back to that again?

So I'll wait and see what the next post looks like, which I wouldn't be able to do if I closed the thread.

What a quandary.

Hey Ron,

I started it, I suggest closing it. It started as an observation between my TL and my brief experiances with the G. It's taken on a new life that reminds me of high school (both the english and level of some of the discussions (G=SUCK). Kill it if you'd like.

As a side note, once I have more experiances with the G, I compare the two again, and hopefully it will stay on track (like the A-Spec'd TL).
Old 01-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cmt1
Hey Ron,

I started it, I suggest closing it. It started as an observation between my TL and my brief experiances with the G. It's taken on a new life that reminds me of high school (both the english and level of some of the discussions (G=SUCK). Kill it if you'd like.

As a side note, once I have more experiances with the G, I compare the two again, and hopefully it will stay on track (like the A-Spec'd TL).
I agree. These threads almost always take on a new life, and veer so far off course that they are either eventually closed or just die off by themselves.

Please post your further experiences when you are ready, but be prepared for the same fate.