3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL broken into without forcible entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
btw.....if you really wanna take it this far, I'll help you with the part numbers to order/request.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally!! a way to keep Jehovah Witnesses off my property!!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
Finally!! a way to keep Jehovah Witnesses off my property!!

haha! yeah, i've got lasers all over the place. if someone's around, i'll definitely know.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Slava - you are one of many who are having their TL's broken into. Do a search and you will see others, like myself, in SF and other cities having the same problem: no signs of forced entry, no alarm going off, petty theft of items left in the vehicle. I never leave anything of value in my car and always lock the doors. My 04 TL got hit once - I thought I might have left the car unlocked. My O5 got broken into twice and a loaner TSX that I had (while they were repairing my dash that was damaged during one of the breakins) got broken into. NONE of the alarms went off. ACS claims they've had no reports (BS because others on this board have called) and my dealer claims I'm the only one having this problem. I had my alarm recoded (a 3 sec proceedure) - that didn't help. I live in Noe Valley - not a crime infested hood.

I believe that if they can either pick the lock or use a univ. key (which who knows if it exists) all they have to do is turn the cylinder of the lock and the alarm is deactivated. I had a Clifford installed and the problem has gone away. The alarm went off one night and my partner heard a car drive away - the driver's side door was unlocked. Since then, I've taken steps to ensure that my lock cannot be picked or opened using a key. If I get locked out or my remote breaks, I'll have AAA slim jim their way in. The problem is that if the lock can be picked easily, they can break into the car even with an aftermarket alarm and qickly rummage thru the car for valuables. I was very uneasy leaving my car in a parking structure or at the mall until I disabled the lock.

Bottom line - GET AN AFTERMARKET ALARM and call ACS and complain loudly. They know this is an issue . . .

ps - feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further over the phone.

sftroy
Old 11-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also do the keyhole mod so that you don't even have a keyhole anymore. That's more of just a deterrent, but maybe he'll skip your car and go for another which is easier to do...
Old 11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by zax123
You could also do the keyhole mod so that you don't even have a keyhole anymore. That's more of just a deterrent, but maybe he'll skip your car and go for another which is easier to do...
But what is easier to do, pick a lock or "slim jim"? It seems both are pretty easy to get around. Since I virtually never use the lock, it seems like a sensible solution to disable it (if it's reversable). I am researching all kinds of alarms right now, so this will be part of it.

Also, if these alarms mess up TL electrical subsystems, those aren't covered under warranty by Acura anymore, right?

Anyone know any good (best) alarm shops in SF Bay Area?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Arizona is great about gun laws. Anyone without a criminal record thats willing to take 16 hours of gun safety can get a conceiled weapons permit too!

I was thinking about a new alarm. Is that 2 way viper the best one? I think i'd go as much as $1500 for one with lots of bells and whistles.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slava
But what is easier to do, pick a lock or "slim jim"? It seems both are pretty easy to get around. Since I virtually never use the lock, it seems like a sensible solution to disable it (if it's reversable). I am researching all kinds of alarms right now, so this will be part of it.

Also, if these alarms mess up TL electrical subsystems, those aren't covered under warranty by Acura anymore, right?

Anyone know any good (best) alarm shops in SF Bay Area?
For Clifford Alarms in SF, try:

CITY CAR RADIO 1665 PACIFIC AVENUE , SAN FRANCISCO , CA 94109 4157716520 4157712039

They installed an Intelliguard 750 in my TL and have done other TLs as well - including another guy from SF who had multiple breakins as well. I found some of the other shops kind of cheesy or with really young kids working there. City Car Radio's install was great. I quoted Custom Car Alarms at the Honda Dealer on Van Ness - they were >$100 more than City Car Radio and a San Jose dealer.

I've had no electrical problems as a result of the alarm install. You can still manually recall the driver settings without the Acura key fob. No big deal to me since I'm the only driver. The Acura fob no longer works with the car - but I really don't care about that either.

sftroy
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
I did the keyhole mod and disabled the lock. I can reverse everything once I'm ready to sell the car. Just trying to make it harder for them to quietly get into my car - they can always break a window . . .
Old 11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Instructor

There was a story on the local news here how easy it is to get a copy of a key made as long as you have the VIN number. This could be the case here. Id set up a camera and ask the police to come up your block during the night while they are on patrol. Maybe this prick could be caught
Old 11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Advanced

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...spagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...temZ8007425184

Try these two products. If the thief is still getting into your car, they they either have a slim jim (but the one made for acuras/honda) or have a spare remote to your car.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

instead of the lazer system just rig up a wireless sender to the compartment door, when opened, it will set off an alarm in your room, that way they wont be alerted by the car alarm and you can run out after them.

Pick up some handcuffs at the army navy store. Can you say: CItezins arrest. Chances are this guy could be hit for copyright violations by snatching your code, FCC violatiosn cause the FCC hates everyone, and prolly has done it to others. Dont detur the theif, eliminate the problem
Old 11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sftroy
I did the keyhole mod and disabled the lock. I can reverse everything once I'm ready to sell the car. Just trying to make it harder for them to quietly get into my car - they can always break a window . . .

Is the keyhole mod / lock disable a DYI? If so, can someone post the info or refer a link?? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 PM
about::blank

i used to know of a kid that worked at walmart in the tire dept, when someone came in with a nice car to get their tires mounted/rotated/whatever, he would go to the key-copying station and make a duplicate of it.......since he handled their car, he knew their personal information(address, phone #, etc.) from the forms they filled out....he would go in the middle of the night to their homes and take whatever the unfortunate person left inside.....moral of the story, be careful with whom you trust your car with.....food for thought
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Holdin it down for MS

Originally Posted by TallyCL-S
i used to know of a kid that worked at walmart in the tire dept, when someone came in with a nice car to get their tires mounted/rotated/whatever, he would go to the key-copying station and make a duplicate of it.......since he handled their car, he knew their personal information(address, phone #, etc.) from the forms they filled out....he would go in the middle of the night to their homes and take whatever the unfortunate person left inside.....moral of the story, be careful with whom you trust your car with.....food for thought
I hope he slips in vomit.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by urbaita1
Is the keyhole mod / lock disable a DYI? If so, can someone post the info or refer a link?? Thanks.
Basically you can remove the cover and replace it with the same cover used on the passenger door. Do a search on this board for directions. I cut a key and shoved it into the cylinder - quite difficult to remove.

Bottom line though is that our TLs are EASILY broken into and it now appears that more are getting hit. I just wish Acura would acknowledge the problem and do something about it. Cars on my street include Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity - NONE of these are getting broken into - just my TL and the loaner TSX I drove for a few days. Grumble . . .
Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You jammed a broken key into the lock to make it unusable? Jeeze... sometimes the stuff you guys do makes me wonder how you plan to sell the cars later! Interesting idea though.

My two cents... if you have ever watched a locksmith come out to your car when you locked your keys in, and he was experienced... you probably gave up on car security some time ago. They have always gotten into my cars like it was opening a can of cat food.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

If the door lock mod is the only thing you do, then if they "slim jim" their way in the factory alarm will sound. It's turning the key cylinder in the door that disables the factory alarm.

But if they're opening it with a remote device, there's little you can do. And THEY CAN DO IT, I've seen it done. Here's the story:

When I was looking at cars to trade my Accord on, I stopped by a local Toyota dealership one night well after they'd closed. I had a friend with me and we walked around checking out some new Toyota SUVs. My friend has a habit of pulling on every doorhandle for some reason, and of course, they were all locked. As we were looking, a group of nicely dressed Asian men pulled up in a shiny new pearl white BMW M3. They nodded at us (we were on the opposite side of the parking lot by now) and they proceeded to go to the SUVs we'd just finished looking at. We started hearing all sorts of "Beeps" from Toyotas, and when we looked around, they were inside two or three vehicles.

We left and called the police, but the M3 raced out of the parking lot not long after we did and disappeared.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Why'd you call the cops, I'd love to see that shit go down? If it was an acura dealership, HOW DARE THEY.

I still think a camera system needs to be rigged up by someone.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope I catch someone trying to break into my car. Gives me a reason to purchase pump action 12 gauge mosburg :-D
Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
...I stopped by a local Toyota dealership one night well after they'd closed.... As we were looking, a group of nicely dressed Asian men pulled up in a shiny new pearl white BMW M3...We started hearing all sorts of "Beeps" from Toyotas, and when we looked around, they were inside two or three vehicles.

We left and called the police, but the M3 raced out of the parking lot not long after we did and disappeared.
I recognize this story, did you post it on here once before, or on my350z.com? or maxima.org?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tzakiel
You jammed a broken key into the lock to make it unusable? Jeeze... sometimes the stuff you guys do makes me wonder how you plan to sell the cars later! Interesting idea though.

My two cents... if you have ever watched a locksmith come out to your car when you locked your keys in, and he was experienced... you probably gave up on car security some time ago. They have always gotten into my cars like it was opening a can of cat food.
The key can be removed - but it takes time, light and some effort. I had to do something - the aftermarket alarm disabled the factory remote but the lock was still exposed.

It really SUCKS having been broken into so many times - I can't leave ANYTHING in my car. They cleaned out my car one time - took my manuals, change holder, fastrak pass, etc.

Mark my words, you will continue to see posts about this problem until Acura steps up and fixes this problem with their alarms. I'd get an aftermarket alarm if I were you . . . .
Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by mp3car
I recognize this story, did you post it on here once before, or on my350z.com? or maxima.org?
No but I may have posted it here before or perhaps on v6performance.net before.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Cold Racketeer

I am not getting an aftermarket alarm simply becuase in my experience no one has ever paid attention to them other than to roll their eyes and hope it stops fairly soon.

Some sort of tracking system would be worth, it would seem, but probably fairly expensive.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tzakiel
I am not getting an aftermarket alarm simply becuase in my experience no one has ever paid attention to them other than to roll their eyes and hope it stops fairly soon.

Some sort of tracking system would be worth, it would seem, but probably fairly expensive.
The benefit of the after market alarm is that the shitty acura "security" system is deactivated. The Acura remote no longer works - I now have a rolling alarm code, a larger number of possible remote codes and a system that will shut down if too many codes are sent. I now also have an alarm that will sound if someone breaks in via the lock or breaks a window, bumps or tows the car - something the Acura alarm system simply doesn't do.

Yeah, people do ignore alarms, but a thief will move on if he finds that the car is more difficult to break into and that has an alarm that will draw attention.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:53 AM
10th Gear

Hi I am on this forum from time to time and I have an aftermarket alarm system that integrates with the factory alarm so i use the factory remotes. In my TL if i use the key in the drivers door to unlock it, it will not shut the alarm off. It will unlock the car though, but my alarm siren and horn will go off. The way I have this setup is that when the doors unlock only the driver side door unlocks. So guys try this, change the keyless setting to only unlock the drive side door and see if the alarm goes off when you unlock using the key. Let me know on the finding. I hope the alarm rings as in my case.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Instructor

have an attack pug sleeping in your car