Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TipTronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 12:30 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TipTronic Question

Eh Guys, lookin into buyin an 04 TL, but i cant decide if i want a 6 speed manual or a tiptronic...

Here is the deal.... I know on all VW/Audi there is an aftermarket program available for the transmission to make it instant shiftin, where the tiptrinic actually shifts as sooon as u tip the lever.... i drove the TL this past saturday and well, the tiptrionic really was dissapointing to me..... seee i have always driven manual, and all my family is encouragin me to get an auto, basically so they can drive it.....

So my question, is there an aftermarket program that someone has heard of or tried that will reprogram the tiptrionic program to make it instant shiftin....

All help on the issue will be aprecaited.... thansk....

ohhh p.s.: Lookin for a Black on Camel, in case someone is selling here in Canada....
Old 09-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Who cares

I havent heard of one but I thought the shift was pretty resonsive! I also don't like the fact that mine shifts from first to second on its own
Old 09-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

IMO, if you are looking for tiptronic, go with an Audi, VW or Porsche. If you want the 6MT, the TL is your car.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 AM
What's a TL?

After buying a 5AT, I think I should have gone 6MT...way more fun
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 04acura tl
I also don't like the fact that mine shifts from first to second on its own
Audi does the same thing. If you don't mash the pedal to the floor, it will shift on it's own from 1-2.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear

I am all for 6mt

Eh Guys, thanks for the responses...

I m all for the 6MT, actually the first TL i drove last chrismas was a Dynamic Package, which comes with 6MT... and i loved it, that is y i kept it on my shoppin list... and now that my lease is comin to an end, i m tryin to decide if i should go manual or auto....

i agree the 5AT is fast, but its not quick enough for my taste, i have to anticipate the shiftin, so it becomes a learnin pattern, where i have to learn the tranny's habbits, not the other way around, which is how a car shoudl drive.....

the reason i m stuck on this descision, and anyone who knows me, will tell u, that i hate auto boxes with passsion, is cuz my family, mainly my dad n mom like the car as well, and they want to be able to go out in style, not in the minivan they drive ..... so that is the only reason i m considerin the auto box..... other wise, go acura for makin one of the best 6MT out there, hands down..... even better then the tsx.....

this car has been crafted by a genoius, inside out, its perfection.... especially the inside, no matter waht u touch, it all has a certain texture and it makes the car so expensive feelin, no 540 even comes close to it, cuz that was the other car on my list....
Old 09-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by SergioP
Eh Guys, thanks for the responses...

I m all for the 6MT, actually the first TL i drove last chrismas was a Dynamic Package, which comes with 6MT... and i loved it, that is y i kept it on my shoppin list... and now that my lease is comin to an end, i m tryin to decide if i should go manual or auto....

i agree the 5AT is fast, but its not quick enough for my taste, i have to anticipate the shiftin, so it becomes a learnin pattern, where i have to learn the tranny's habbits, not the other way around, which is how a car shoudl drive.....

the reason i m stuck on this descision, and anyone who knows me, will tell u, that i hate auto boxes with passsion, is cuz my family, mainly my dad n mom like the car as well, and they want to be able to go out in style, not in the minivan they drive ..... so that is the only reason i m considerin the auto box..... other wise, go acura for makin one of the best 6MT out there, hands down..... even better then the tsx.....

this car has been crafted by a genoius, inside out, its perfection.... especially the inside, no matter waht u touch, it all has a certain texture and it makes the car so expensive feelin, no 540 even comes close to it, cuz that was the other car on my list....
If you like the 6MT and hate autos that much, definitely go for the 6MT. Otherwise you will probably start to slowly regret your decision.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Advanced

marketing gimmic

tiptronic in the acura is a marketing gimmic. being that i live in the land of traffic (dallas), automatic is the only way to go. i only use tiptronic when i am goofing around. 2nd gear about 4500 rpm's - step on it = zoom zoom. besides that auto all the way...

tiptronic is NOT a replacement for a MT. if you want a MT, buy a MT. you'll be very disappointed if you think tiptronic is a equal sub to a MT.

my
Old 09-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

i would go with the 6MT, who is going to be driving the car most of the time? your parents or you? if this is your car then i would get something that you enjoy. i can understand the fact that your parents want to be able to drive the car as well but it is your car right? it may sounds harsh to all the moms and pops on this board but its the truth. i am sure they will understand, and its not like they can't drive the car, learning how to drive a stick is not the hardest thing in the world.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been an a/t guy all my life. never owned a m/t, but have driven them on occasion. just curious on the shift response time issue. how much quicker can you shift it with a m/t than with the ss? i use the ss about 80% of the time and the only shift i find somewhat sluggish is from 2nd to 3rd, every other shift is pretty quick. hard to imagine stepping on a clutch and shifting with a manual can be much quicker.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear

MT Shiftin

Eh,

well i drive a 98 Prelude SH, 5 speed MT, and lets just say that my shifting is really quick n presice, in fact i got so good at racin from light to light, that i can shift, faster then the engince can drop 1000rpm in VTEC... and if anyone knows anythin bout H22 engines, they know, that engine revs up n down real fast.....so ya, my shiftin in manual is way faster then the auto box can do it on its own, never mind in tiptrionic mode..... but from waht i remember when i drove the TL with MT, it had really really short n extremely exact shiftin pattern, which is way quicker then my Prelude.... so i would say that the auto box will have a very hard time keepin up.....

So its final then, 6MT is waht i m lookin for, just one quick question, here in Canada, the MT only come on black interior, is the same tru in states as well...? cuz i want a black on camel but with 6MT n navi, which in Canada is impossible to combine as a package....

Will the 05 have all these options separate or still the same way?

Thanks all