Sponsored by:

Tips on cleaning interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on cleaning interior

Hi guys.

I've had my TL for about a week an half now it has black interior, and i was jus wondering if you guys had any tips on cleaning the interior rubber? LIke what i did, was jus vaccum the dust off gently on the. I dont use anything to wipe it. I was just wondering what all you people do?

also, you know those show marks and what not, when people go in your car, and they jus scuff the side of those black rubbers, jus wondering, how would you clean that also?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go get some Aerospace 303 protectant. It cleans the dash and most intrior pieces very well. It's not easy to find so visit their website and they have a list of vendors.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
TheBigWhite 21

do a search on this forum. There is another thread about what people use to clean their interiors. Personally, I use the 303 protectant for all the vinyls. I have Meguiar's leather cleaner/conditioner for the seats. As for scuff marks, I'm not sure what others are using. Best way is to prevent the scuffs in the first place. I hardly ever let anyone sit in my car except my wife.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
by the way, your local Napa carries the 303 protectant.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use 303 for everything, but the leather, and it works much better than Armor All. For leather, I have used Lexol cleaner (orange bottle) and then the conditioner (brown bottle). Lexol can be hard to find, but its supposedly one of the best.

But in my opinion, its the frequency of application that is most important.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced

get a swiffer. gets rid of the dust without making all the dried up streaks you always see later. I have not used anything but the swiffer (dry) since i got the car and the dash and instrumentation look brand new. The navi screen will need a liquid cleaner however, from fingerprints. damp dustless cloth with warm water does wonders.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

The black is tough to keep clean. I use the Meguiar's wipes. I'll will follow-up with the 303 for plastic and Lexol for leather.

I must admit that I have my doubts on the durability of the leather seats.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:19 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

california mini duster works wonders on interior and exterior inbetween cleanings. a quick swip and its clean.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

I think the 303 is a protectant and not a cleaner
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I use the woolite solution on a cheap M/F towel it acts like a dust magnet and will clean any issues you have . Its leather safe and recommended buy Lexus and Caddy.

There is more on it in my web page.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtin
I think the 303 is a protectant and not a cleaner
I use 303 Cleaner
Old 05-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Instructor

COOL!

thanks everyone for your feedback.

I might jus use that 303 proectant. It seems like everyone is pretty satisfied with it.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:25 AM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

303 is a great product. I always get compliments about the cleaniness/shine from those who are lucky enough to drive in my car :-P
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

To quote Ron Ketcham of Auto Int .. who formulates and supplies a lot of dressings etc got auto manufactures world wide;

Armorall, 303, Mequiar's, Eagle One (VW's product is Eagle One), etc these are water borne, Polydimetalsiloxane resin formula's, every last one of them.

The present ArmorAll only differs from many other PDMS dressings, (polydimethalsiloxane) by percentage of the resin mixed into the water that is it's carrier to the surface.

Be it Eagle One, Zanio, Mequiar's, Mother's, 303 etc, all the "white-water based" dressings are PDMS.
This resin DOES NOT DAMAGE vinyl or tires, to have that, happen one would have to use the "greasy kid stuff"/"getto shine" products, which contains petroluem distillates and dimethal silicone fluids.

303 has a higher resin content, the maximum that can be used, which is why it cost more.
Most of the mass marketed PDMS are usually around 18 to 20%, most professional dressings are between 22 and 27%.
Cost is an issue for professional detailers, and even the higher resin 303 does not last "that" much longer than a, say 24% content.
Just looks better for a couple of days.

The "UV" protectant adverstising is pure bunk, it is not possible to actually put "UV" blockers in these types of resins and if it could be done, the product would have to be marketed at about 3 to 4 times a higher price, as a UV component is very, very expensive.

The claim of "UV" protection comes from the resin barrier created and the additional shine, which reflects the damaging UV's.
The real advantage of using a PDMS is protection from the far more damaging ozone that is present. This protection is only there as long as the product is.

Unquote.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by urbaita1
I use 303 for everything, but the leather, and it works much better than Armor All. For leather, I have used Lexol cleaner (orange bottle) and then the conditioner (brown bottle). Lexol can be hard to find, but its supposedly one of the best.

But in my opinion, its the frequency of application that is most important.
I believe I've found it at pep boys before, but if you are stuck on finding it see if you can find a saddle shop/equine supply place
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Since the discussion is on, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing a small scuff on the steering wheel? I usually do not wear a jacket when I drive, but on Monday it was raining and I didn't want to get soaked while pulling it off, and I must have bumped the steering wheel with the zipper on my jacket because there is a small scuff on the side. Not a huge thing, but it's where my right hand holds the wheel, so I'm aware of it. Anyone have any advice for those sorts of scuffs?

I will try to take a picture tonight if needed.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
I have Lucy tied up in

I use the Zaino Leather Cleaner and Protector for my interior. Smooth and Clean as a baby's behind
Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm a little piggy...

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Since the discussion is on, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing a small scuff on the steering wheel? I usually do not wear a jacket when I drive, but on Monday it was raining and I didn't want to get soaked while pulling it off, and I must have bumped the steering wheel with the zipper on my jacket because there is a small scuff on the side. Not a huge thing, but it's where my right hand holds the wheel, so I'm aware of it. Anyone have any advice for those sorts of scuffs?

I will try to take a picture tonight if needed.
@ 9K, my steering wheel leather is already starting to "peel" in spots so I'm hoping that Acura will replace it... May be worth a shot...
Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

I use mcguire protective wipes.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Cruisin'

i use Armor all
Old 05-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLgundee05
I use the Zaino Leather Cleaner and Protector for my interior. Smooth and Clean as a baby's behind

TL gundee05, the zaino leather cleaner..so it works very well? Can you use it wipe the seats also, or no? ANd does this zaino leather cleaner make the rubbery dashboards shiny, or jus clean and lint free?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Houstun TL
@ 9K, my steering wheel leather is already starting to "peel" in spots so I'm hoping that Acura will replace it... May be worth a shot...
I have just over 23,500 miles, and the scuff is both small and clearly the fault of the driver, so I'm not gonna bother asking them for that sort of thing!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIC
Go get some Aerospace 303 protectant. It cleans the dash and most intrior pieces very well. It's not easy to find so visit their website and they have a list of vendors.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home
Does this Aerospace 303 protectant leave a sort of wet look on the rubber vinyl? cuz i used meguiars leather cleaner, and i didnt like how my seats loked wet...btw.for my leather cleaner, im using Lexol. Works wonders, recommended by Mr. HeelToe Himself! awesome product.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

If you like Lexol, try their plastic/vinyl product, Vinylex. Works great -- leaves a nice matte finish. I've used it on the hard and soft plastics in my BMWs and VWs, and have done very well in concours d'elegance judging on my interiors.

BE CAREFUL HOW YOU SPRAY IT. If you get a stray drop on the leather, it's there for good. (Ask me how I know.) I spray it onto a rag, facing away from the car, then apply it.

I get it -- like all my "carsmetics" (chemicals to make my car look good!) thru CarCareOnline.com. The proprietor is a retired chemist who only sells products that pass his testing. He's great for advice (I've called him for advice several times), and his "how-to" materials (online, and included with every order) are worth paying for, even though they're free.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheBigWhite 21
Does this Aerospace 303 protectant leave a sort of wet look on the rubber vinyl? cuz i used meguiars leather cleaner, and i didnt like how my seats loked wet...btw.for my leather cleaner, im using Lexol. Works wonders, recommended by Mr. HeelToe Himself! awesome product.
303 leaves a matte finish, apply and buff. There are a ton of protectants and cleaners available on the market. Use whatever product you desire as long as you are satisfied with the results. You might want to post future car care questions in the Wash & Wax Forum.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro

Black leather is very easy to keep clean. Both my 03 Max GLE and 06 TL have this, and I've not done a whole lot to keep both clean, though I must admit that they are both garaged (when not in use) so they are not exposed to strong sunlight or heat that can cause them to fade or crack. When I bought my Max, Nissan gave me two free interior maintenance kits, which, among other things, include leather cleaners and conditioners, and they have been doing a good job on keeping up my cars' interior.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
To quote Ron Ketcham of Auto Int .. who formulates and supplies a lot of dressings etc got auto manufactures world wide;

Armorall, 303, Mequiar's, Eagle One (VW's product is Eagle One), etc these are water borne, Polydimetalsiloxane resin formula's, every last one of them.

The present ArmorAll only differs from many other PDMS dressings, (polydimethalsiloxane) by percentage of the resin mixed into the water that is it's carrier to the surface.

Be it Eagle One, Zanio, Mequiar's, Mother's, 303 etc, all the "white-water based" dressings are PDMS.
This resin DOES NOT DAMAGE vinyl or tires, to have that, happen one would have to use the "greasy kid stuff"/"getto shine" products, which contains petroluem distillates and dimethal silicone fluids.

303 has a higher resin content, the maximum that can be used, which is why it cost more.
Most of the mass marketed PDMS are usually around 18 to 20%, most professional dressings are between 22 and 27%.
Cost is an issue for professional detailers, and even the higher resin 303 does not last "that" much longer than a, say 24% content.
Just looks better for a couple of days.

The "UV" protectant adverstising is pure bunk, it is not possible to actually put "UV" blockers in these types of resins and if it could be done, the product would have to be marketed at about 3 to 4 times a higher price, as a UV component is very, very expensive.

The claim of "UV" protection comes from the resin barrier created and the additional shine, which reflects the damaging UV's.
The real advantage of using a PDMS is protection from the far more damaging ozone that is present. This protection is only there as long as the product is.

Unquote.
Great piece of info..........
Old 11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Great piece of info..........
I just wanna be sure that Aerospace 303 wont leave a wet finish like the Meguir leather cleaner. I may jus got with the lexol once, since that's the one im using for leather cleaning
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
NY/NJ TL Crew

I tried Meguiars gold class leather conditioner/cleaner and its pretty good, I just dont like the fact that it leaves the leather all shiny and wet looking ;/ ~ Ive used Lexol before that and I like it alot more! Anyone have any other suggestions? And is the 303 going to fix the faded look on the dash? Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by arseny87
I tried Meguiars gold class leather conditioner/cleaner and its pretty good, I just dont like the fact that it leaves the leather all shiny and wet looking ;/ ~ Ive used Lexol before that and I like it alot more! Anyone have any other suggestions? And is the 303 going to fix the faded look on the dash? Thanks
Yeah, i HATE the shiny/wet look that meguiar leaves on the seats. Lexol is awesome, and yeah, my dash is fading too, im about to order the 303 protectant since everyone said it works well...any more feedback?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, , my dash is fading too, im about to order the 303 protectant since everyone said it works well...any more feedback?
I found Meguiars #40 Rubber and Vinyl protectant did a better job on the dash than 303. I have both.. tried them both.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I found Meguiars #40 Rubber and Vinyl protectant did a better job on the dash than 303. I have both.. tried them both.
This meguiar's #40 rubber and vinyl protectant, it doesnt leave a wet finish?

if not, i might jus get this insteead of trying to buy the 303 aerospace protectant online.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

This meguiar's #40 rubber and vinyl protectant, it doesnt leave a wet finish?

if not, i might jus get this insteead of trying to buy the 303 aerospace protectant online.
No it doesn't ...
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Safety Car

I just wanna be sure that Aerospace 303 wont leave a wet finish like the Meguir leather cleaner. I may jus got with the lexol once, since that's the one im using for leather cleaning
303 does not leave a wet finish, more matte. Myself and others don't use 303 at full strength. The best way to apply it is to 1st; clean your dash with a moist MF towel 2nd; Spritz another moist MF towel with 303, 3rd; buff the area with a dry MF towel.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

just bought a 07 type S with taupe interior , and in just 2 months the blue in my jeans are in the leather now. What would be the best product to use for in my oppinion a real deep clean?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by damonb70
just bought a 07 type S with taupe interior , and in just 2 months the blue in my jeans are in the leather now. What would be the best product to use for in my oppinion a real deep clean?
Lexol is a pretty good product for cleaning and conditioning, but the two (Cleaner vs. Conditioner) do come in separate bottles, so you need to make sure you get both. I've used it on my TL as well as my wife's Pilot and it does a nice job.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ttribe
Lexol is a pretty good product for cleaning and conditioning, but the two (Cleaner vs. Conditioner) do come in separate bottles, so you need to make sure you get both. I've used it on my TL as well as my wife's Pilot and it does a nice job.
where can i purchae Lexol from?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by damonb70
where can i purchae Lexol from?
I picked mine up at the dealer, but I am pretty sure you can find it at a variety of auto parts stores as well. Or, do a Google Search on "Lexol" and I am sure you'll find quite a few online dealers.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Hi guys.

I've had my TL for about a week an half now it has black interior, and i was jus wondering if you guys had any tips on cleaning the interior rubber? LIke what i did, was jus vaccum the dust off gently on the. I dont use anything to wipe it. I was just wondering what all you people do?

also, you know those show marks and what not, when people go in your car, and they jus scuff the side of those black rubbers, jus wondering, how would you clean that also?

Thanks!
I use Lexol for the leather and I use Honda's own Vinyl protectant for the dash. I tried 303 but found that it required frequently re-applications and still had a little gloss to it. The Honda vinyl protectant is what they use if you bring the car in for a faded dash issue. I find the Honda stuff does a great job, is very low lustre and lasts longer before i need to reapply. My new 07 TL I have not done yet, I wait to do the dash until it starts to look like it needs it since once you apply you are pretty much committed to doing it every so often.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Why don't you guys like the wet gloss look on your leather?

Quick Reply: Tips on cleaning interior