Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting Question - 3G Garage #K-013

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Question Tinting Question - 3G Garage #K-013

I have a AM with NAVI and after reading posts here on AZ I am aware of the Ceramic Tint for the NAVI antenna in the rear glass...my questions are...

1) Is Fomula One Pinnacle Series the only (or I guess the best selling) out there or do other brands also make non metallic tints ?

2) DO other navi owners here have other brand or non-ceramic tints ? and do they work fine ? DO I NEED ABSOLUTELY NEED A CERAMIC TINT?

3) How much did you pay (and for what Brand) I was quoted $300 which I thought was quite high for what I have paid before (also if someone from NC or Southern VA here PLEASE let me know if you know of a decent Tint shop in State)

Oh and the shop guy said with my dilemma about moleskin and my hesitation to rip the door panel...is that they can put a piece of tint on 2 or 3 windows and I can drive around for a couple of week and roll up and down the windows many times...if that does not scratch then likely my Tint wont scratch do you guys think that is a good test ?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. No, Huper Optik has a ceramic tint. You can also use 3M - It's dyed, color stable and warranted against fading.
2. The use of metallic or non-metallic film has been discussed on so many threads. Some say it had little or no effect on GPS reception while others have said it did. All I can tell you is what the manufacturer recommends - ceramic film.
3. Geographically, the cost will vary among installers. The brand and type of film used is another consideration. Ceramic film is more expensive than metallic or dyed. HO will be more expensive that F1 Pinnacle.

As far as testing for scratching, I guess it's a good idea and it wouldn't hurt. If the shop is willing to go that far to get your business, go for it. Do a search on moleskin and you'll find it is by far the most cost effective way to prevent scratching and it works.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro

anyone... ? anyhelp? need to make a decision before the weekend

any help is appreciated...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3M Tint

I had 3M tint installed a week ago and have not seen any impact to my Navi. The tint istaller advised me this tint was good for GPS cars. In fact he, himself had an 04 TL Navi.

I paid $169 for 30% all around with warranty. The installer did not have moleskin on his 04 and I could not find any scratches when he showed me his work (on his TL). I decided to pass on the moleskin. If it scratches, with the warranty I can get it replaced and consider the moleskin at that time.

You can see my pics on the Photo Gallery Board (1st wash, wax & new tint thread).

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
You pays your money and takes your chances

Tampa Mike: You can search or go to the 3G Garage Sticky thread and find out all you want to know about tinting and moleskin.

You will see posts from members who went without the moleskin and then came back to tell us later that their tint was scratched. I put the moleskin on myself. It came with instructions and was pretty easy if you can handle common tools.

The Navi owner's manual tells you on P.3 NOT to use metallic tints as it WILL interfere with your GPS antenna. It might still work if you are in a strong signal area, but it won't work as well.

There are three kinds of tint that I know of: dyed, metallic, and ceramic. The dyed is the cheapest and is most susceptible to fading and color change. It is OK to use with Navi. The ceramic, made by Formula 1 (Pinnacle) and Huper Optik is the most expensive. I paid $225 in West Palm Beach at Tint King. The owner there, Jay, also has a 2004 Acura TL.

The one common thread that everyone seems to report is that the tint installers will tell you that they have done a million TLs and that you don't need moleskin or ceramic tints and that their tint is guaranteed. They speak with forked tongue.

OTOH, several members here, including our venerated moderator rets, report that they are doing just fine without the moleskin.

My Acura service manager's son had tint installed without moleskin and was back the following day with scratches.

So, it's your choice. Wing it or play it safe.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Racer

Loud & Clear

Yep, I am aware of what you advise. I researched the boards and the mentions from those without moleskin & scratchless, and initially decided not to tint. But I like the look and Florida is a tint shop haven. I decided to take my chances and will replace the tint with moleskin if it scratches.

The 3M tint is non metallic and I believe came to market about a year ago in response to GPS cars.

I chose the 3M tint specifically for that reason. I chose not to use moleskin and aware of the risk and reapplication if it scratches. I chose to accept the information the tint installer offered me. I felt the value was good with the associated risks. I don't live blindly, but also not in total skepticism.

I am happy with my decision and my TL. That could change, but so does life.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I should state again for this thread that our TL's are factory tinted at 75%. Anything you add must be factored in.

The factory tint allows 75% of the light to pass. If you add 30% tint, it will only pass 30% of the 75% or about 25% total effect. This is not exact, however. I checked mine with a police tint meter before and after. It didn't work out exactly but close enough for gov't work.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:37 PM
100k miles club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got mine tinted on monday. they used a brand called suntek. gambled with metallic base and no moleskin and so far no loss of navi signal or scratches. gave it 2 days before i started to roll down the windows. 35% tint with ebony interior. was worried that it may be too dark but it turned out great.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by w1n78
just got mine tinted on monday. they used a brand called suntek. gambled with metallic base and no moleskin and so far no loss of navi signal or scratches. gave it 2 days before i started to roll down the windows. 35% tint with ebony interior. was worried that it may be too dark but it turned out great.

How much did you pay ?

Also, Do you guys think 300 $ is too much for a ceramic tint ?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:09 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by scrb09
How much did you pay ?

Also, Do you guys think 300 $ is too much for a ceramic tint ?
$180. don't know much about the ceramic tint but none of the tint shop i called before this one knew about the TL scratch problem nor do they know about moleskin. at least the shop that tinted my car mentioned it to me before i got a chance to. he said that the new TL's and Accords had the same problem. he offered to test it on one of the doors (front, driver side) to see if it would scratch. he called me up an hour later and said, it didn't scratch so i told him to go on ahead with it.

the most i got quoted for that's non-metallic based is $220, dunno if it was ceramic based.

for $300 and moleskin seems like a good deal IMO. but if no moleskin, i'd keep looking. there's actually a thread here that shows you where to buy moleskin and how to remove the door panels to install it. just do a search, there's was even a thread where one of the members were giving out moleskin for free.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Instructor

I don't really know anything about anything but just want to post what I have heard and am plannning on doing. I will post my results as well.

I spoke to the only 2 dealers listed on the Formula One site (3 but owned by 2 people) in the Raleigh, NC area.

The first said that I needed moleskin and that I needed to go with the ceramic based film (Pinnacle). The reasons are as listed here on the web site. The mole skin apparently, for anyone who doesn't know, is a liner that goes where the contact is made with the car door and he glass. It is just some soft stuff to cover up the harder rubber that Acura and Honda use in this area and prevent potential abrassivenes to the tint as the window is raised or lowered.

The second place said I did not need the Pinnacle stuff, ceramic based, (which is considerably more expensive) as the Ultimate line, metallic based, would not cause any interference in my gps or radio. They also said that he moleskin was unnecessary and a waste of money. They did say that the potential to get scratches does exist if there is an abrassive area on your window seals. The moleskin however would only prolong the possibility of that happening as that would eventially too break down and start to be abrassive. They said they would put it on if I wanted and would only charge me about 20 dollars to so but really didnt see the benefits in it. the second place also said that if I saw any problems with my GPS reception after applying the Ultimate product then they would replace it with Pinnacle for free. That seems pretty confident to me. They also said that if I saw scratches from the lack of moleskin they would replace it for free. Again pretty confident in my book.

My only really bad news is the prices I found. All I priced was Formula One Product.
1st place - Formula One of Cary
Ultimate Series - $339 for all around
Pinnacle Series - $399 for all around
Moleskin - $45 a window

2nd Place - Sun Protection (also in Cary)
Ultimate Series - $325 for all around
Pinnacle Series - $450 for all around
Moleskin - whatever the moleskin cost plus $20
If I had to replace the front 2 windows tint in 4 years due to scratches.. $80 if they charged at all

The first place seemed like they would nitpick on replacements for warranty reasons but the second place seemed like they always wanted a happy customer and would do it for most any reason. I am gonna go with the $325 Ultimate option (second place) and no moleskin (i may decide to moleskin the front 2 windows). My thinking is if gps is affected then they will put the Pinnacle in for free (they said they would write guarentee on invoice). I may even just get the back window done in Pinnacle just to be safe and the side windows in the Ultimate. Monday it will get done so I will know by then for sure... heehee. Anyway I will post what happens to it after install. No news is good news in case I forget.

The second place believes that the ceramic stuff is a gimick and is over stressed for importance to make more money for the film and the tinting establishments. I do not know but am merely passing along what I have been told. do with it as you will

Gingerbreadman
-----------------------
Run, Run as fast as you can.................
Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Oh I forgot to ask my questions... heehee. does anyone know if i will be able to see a difference looking out of the windows if there is ultimate on the sides and pinnacle on the back window?

Apparently the dot matrix stuff at the top of our rear windows is an issue and the options are to cover it and try to get all moisture out of the holes or to cut the tint off even with the dot matrix line. What have you guys and gals done and how does it look?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm Baaack!

I have Formula One Ultimate 20% on mine ... they tinted all the way to the top on the rear. I checked my NAV and have tracked up to 7 - 8 satellites at the same time (never less than 5) and have seen no impact to my NAV or radio reception with the metal tint.

My tinter did not apply moleskin, I let the tint sit for over a week before rolling it down (I was away on vacation) when I came back I noticed what appeared to be a slight scratch after the second or third day of using the windows... I installed the moleskin myself and have had no scratches since.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by Gingerbreadman
Oh I forgot to ask my questions... heehee. does anyone know if i will be able to see a difference looking out of the windows if there is ultimate on the sides and pinnacle on the back window?

Apparently the dot matrix stuff at the top of our rear windows is an issue and the options are to cover it and try to get all moisture out of the holes or to cut the tint off even with the dot matrix line. What have you guys and gals done and how does it look?
Thanks for the Elaborate reply there GingerbreadMan...I actually Just got mine TODAY...and to your Question No I dont think you would notice the differrence looking out the window if you have the back window with Pinnacle...

BTW I got mine done from Sun Protection in Cary...I went with NO Moleskin because they said if it scratched they will replace the Tint...(and I can put in the Moleskin at that time) and also I went with the Comfort Series (Part metallic / Part dyed) it is guaranteed again fading, scratching, bubbling etc...(they even gave me a little Credit Card type lifetime warranty cards from F1)....I paid $195 for it...

I work in RTP and live in Morrisville if you want to come check out their work before you go for it..

OOOOH almost forgot, in the latest Family Savings book they have a 20% discount coupon which can save you $50 - $80 depending on which Tint you go with (send me an offline message if you need the coupon I have an extra one that expires end of May)...workmanship wise I think they did a Phenomenal Job but only time will tell....Havent seen any issues with NAVI signal yet...the owner said the same thing "If you loose your navi signal or anything I will put a pinnacle for you on the back window for FREE" which I think is very reasonable but since I have the comfort series which is not ALL Metallic I think I should be fine....

Good Luck...Hope this Helps
Old 04-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Deja Vu all over again...

Again.... we hear the same story.

You are choosing to believe a tint salesman over the Acura Owner's Manual that says metallic tint on the rear window can seriously degrade or prevent GPS signals. (See page 3 of the Navi manual). Degrading the signals can impact the accuracy of the Navi. If you are in a strong signal area with little interference, it might still work. But, you don't need the Navi in your own neighborhood. What happens when you are traveling in a weak signal area or with interference like mountains and tall buildings?

Our collective experience here has shown that the 3rd generation TL has very tight interior wipes on the windows as does Mercedes-Benz. Large, expert tint shops who do luxury cars know of this problem and install moleskin.

My Formula One Pinnacle cost $225 all around. I did the moleskin myself but I have visited shops in Las Vegas and watched them do it on TL's on a regular basis. In that particular case, the owner of the shop drives a TL (with moleskin).

If you want to save a couple bucks and put inferior dyed or metallic tint on your rear window against the warnings of Acura- go right ahead. It's your car.

If you want to skimp on the moleskin, likewise.

But no mftrs tint warranty covers scratching. Read one. They cover change of color and bubbling (defects in materials). The tint installer's verbal assurance that they will replace it if it scratches or if the GPS doesn't work is worthless if not written. I doubt they will do that. In any case, the prices you got are WAY high compared to Tint King in Florida. (The owner of that shop in Palm Beach also drives a TL). And you have not guarantee that the person you talk to or the business itself will be there six months from now.

I had a lifetime tint guarantee and went back to the shop to claim on it. I actually paid for the lifetime guarantee an extra amount of money. The same shop that installed it said "Oh, that company was bought out by Llumar. And the guy that sold that to you isn't here anymore. We won't honor it because so much time has passed." Lifetime? Whose lifetime? A gnat's?

There is a difference between "if the GPS doesn't work" and "the signal and accuracy of the Navi is degraded." In the latter case, it still works... Just not as good as it would without the metallic tint blocking the signal.

It's your car. If you want to risk it, go right ahead. You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last.

-XP
Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Xpditor: Great advice! You're thinking like a lawyer... and in this case I mean that as a compliment.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Again.... we hear the same story.

You are choosing to believe a tint salesman over the Acura Owner's Manual that says metallic tint on the rear window can seriously degrade or prevent GPS signals. (See page 3 of the Navi manual). Degrading the signals can impact the accuracy of the Navi. If you are in a strong signal area with little interference, it might still work. But, you don't need the Navi in your own neighborhood. What happens when you are traveling in a weak signal area or with interference like mountains and tall buildings?

Our collective experience here has shown that the 3rd generation TL has very tight interior wipes on the windows as does Mercedes-Benz. Large, expert tint shops who do luxury cars know of this problem and install moleskin.

My Formula One Pinnacle cost $225 all around. I did the moleskin myself but I have visited shops in Las Vegas and watched them do it on TL's on a regular basis. In that particular case, the owner of the shop drives a TL (with moleskin).

If you want to save a couple bucks and put inferior dyed or metallic tint on your rear window against the warnings of Acura- go right ahead. It's your car.

If you want to skimp on the moleskin, likewise.

But no mftrs tint warranty covers scratching. Read one. They cover change of color and bubbling (defects in materials). The tint installer's verbal assurance that they will replace it if it scratches or if the GPS doesn't work is worthless if not written. I doubt they will do that. In any case, the prices you got are WAY high compared to Tint King in Florida. (The owner of that shop in Palm Beach also drives a TL). And you have not guarantee that the person you talk to or the business itself will be there six months from now.

I had a lifetime tint guarantee and went back to the shop to claim on it. I actually paid for the lifetime guarantee an extra amount of money. The same shop that installed it said "Oh, that company was bought out by Llumar. And the guy that sold that to you isn't here anymore. We won't honor it because so much time has passed." Lifetime? Whose lifetime? A gnat's?

There is a difference between "if the GPS doesn't work" and "the signal and accuracy of the Navi is degraded." In the latter case, it still works... Just not as good as it would without the metallic tint blocking the signal.

It's your car. If you want to risk it, go right ahead. You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last.

-XP
As I said... I went with the Comfort Series (Part metallic / Part dyed) which is not ALL Metallic...

First of all It is a NAVI SIGNAL its not a Brake Pad that could cause a Fatal Accident...so I personally dont think it is that serious...

Since I have been promised (I do have it on the invoice) if I loose my signal EVEN ONCE...I am going back and getting a free replacement for Pinnacle..so I will loose a signal once or twice at the most even if...

Since you had a bad experience with the business being sold out or the Company being bought over necessarily does not mean it would happen to everyone...F1 is not getting bought over by Llumar anytime soon and Sun Protection in Cary has been in business for 14 years so they are not some road side shop...

Again as I said above...RELAX it is a TINT...something that can be REDONE
and as GingerbreadMan is saying in this Area the two Good Tint shops are giving a Quote for $400 and $450 for Pinnacle so it s not a couple of bucks its is $200 - $250 depending on which one you go with (I got mine done for $200) if I would have got the $225 deal you got for Pinnacle I would have definitely gone for it...

These people showed me pictures of MB's, TL's, BMW's etc that they have done...(The owner has a Benz ML) so...I think these people have worked on luxury card and do know what they are talking about...

SO to sum up it is NOT a Big Investment...and not something that is NOT compromising the SAFETY...and NOT something that cant be REDONE...so I am not that worried about it.

Question: How can you tell if the signal and accuracy of the Navi is degraded?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm Baaack!

There is a diagnostics screen for the Nav .. you get there by holding Map/Guide + Menu + Cancel for a few seconds. You'll then see a button that says Satellite tracking (or something like that) it will show you the number and relative position of all of the satellites that you're communicating with at any point in time.

Note: Be careful while in the Nav diagnostics screen ... you can seriously screw things up if you hit the wrong button.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Banned

I am the one who sells the Mole skin kit.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Whither thou goest....

Maybe you should drive to Florida for your ceramic tint. The money you save would pay for the gas- kinda. Anyway, it's a nice drive this time of year.

I have been using GPS for a long time on my boat and in off-road explorations with my Jeep.

I have always had a good signal in the car (I haven't taken a trip yet), but a weak signal might make your car position shift on the screen to the right or left of the roadway on the map. The updates would be slow and choppy. It could take a longer time for the map to come on and orient itself. If your location were not accurate, it could confuse the voice command. I have experienced this with a hand-held GPS inside a sedan with a metal roof. I would have to place the unit on the dash under the front window to get a good signal.

Our GPS antenna for the TL's Navi is under the package shelf, under the rear window.

When you have a good GPS signal being received, the letters "GPS" are green on the Navi screen under the "North" heading icon in the upper left. If there is no GPS signal, the letters are white. I imagine that an intermittant signal would have these letters changing from white to green and back. For more detailed discussion on this topic, go to our Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics and Navi sub-forum.

Perhaps people who have travelled in Canada can tell us because the signals are weak there the further north you go. They can be blocked by mountains or high buildings to the south of the TL because most satellites are in geo-synchronous orbits between the equator and the 30th parallel.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Well I wussed out and went with the Formula One Pinnacle all around. My thinking was that the metal would never affect the navi enough to loose signal... or even to see a difference in it BUT why would I purchase a new $400 Valentine One Radar detector and then reduce its effectiveness due to metal film. Whatever... the pinnacle is in now, from Formula One of Cary, and it looks great, and the guy there Ricky, was very nice and helpful.

Xpeditor... don't take things so personal dude.. sometimes people will take your advice and sometimes they will not... No reason to get frustrated and beligerent about the issue.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Wow you guys are paying alot for your windows to be tinted. I live in Durham NC and i have a guy that will do an excellent job for half that price. I will post some pictures of my car soon, maybe later on today and he has a lifetime guarantee on his work and a 5 year guarantee on the tint.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by flnsx
and is highly reccomended by me
Old 04-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

They can be blocked by mountains or high buildings to the south of the TL because most satellites are in geo-synchronous orbits between the equator and the 30th parallel.
Xpditor: I've agreed with most of your comments in this thread. However, I need to make a slight correction to your last post.

Unlike television and most communications satellites, the constellation of GPS satellites is not in geo-synchronous (stationary) orbit, but instead circles (moves around) the Earth at much lower altitudes of approx. 12,500 miles.

A complete orbit of the Earth requires a period of slightly less than 12 hours (they travel at about 1.8 miles per second). This configuration ensures that at least four satellites will be above the horizon anywhere on Earth simultaneously.

OT... but interesting is the fact that the software must adjust for the gravitational effect on the passage of time. Time is affected by gravity according to Einstein (general relatively). Clocks (used for time stamps as part of the GPS system) on Earth tick more slowly than ones in space because the gravitational pull is greater on the surface than 12K miles above it.

Also the calculations must be adjusted to take into account that the time slows down the faster an object is going relative to a slower moving object. So the clocks on Earth tick faster than the ones in the satellites (Einstein's special relatively theory).

We're only talking microseconds... but the effects are cumulative. If the adjustments weren't made the effect would become more pronounced each day and in a short time the system would be useless.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

They can be blocked by mountains or high buildings to the south of the TL because most satellites are in geo-synchronous orbits between the equator and the 30th parallel.
Xpditor: I've agreed with most of your comments in this thread. However, I need to make a slight correction to your last post.

Unlike television and most communications satellites, the constellation of GPS satellites is not in geo-synchronous (stationary) orbit, but instead circles (moves around) the Earth at much lower altitudes of approx. 12,500 miles.

A complete orbit of the Earth requires a period of slightly less than 12 hours (they travel at about 1.8 miles per second). This configuration ensures that at least four satellites will be above the horizon anywhere on Earth simultaneously.

OT... but interesting is the fact that the software must adjust for the gravitational effect on the passage of time. Time is affected by gravity according to Einstein (general relatively). Clocks (used for time stamps as part of the GPS system) on Earth tick more slowly than ones in space because the gravitational pull is greater on the surface than 12K miles above it.

Also the calculations must be adjusted to take into account that the time slows down the faster an object is going relative to a slower moving object. So the clocks on Earth tick faster than the ones in the satellites (Einstein's special relatively theory).

We're only talking microseconds... but the effects are cumulative. If the adjustments weren't made the effect would become more pronounced each day and in a short time the system would be useless.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flnsx
moleskin ? what is it?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:22 PM
10th Gear

I got my car tinted today. When I made the appointment a week ago I specifically told the guy that I had a navigation system and did not want metallic tint. I guess I should have said something or reminded them about the metallic tint today during the actual install. I didn't think anything about it until I noticed the navi acting wierd later this afternoon (it was fine on my return trip over the same roads, however). I then checked the warranty on the tint, and sure enough, it's metallic. I should have known something was up because they only charged me $139 for everything. The tint brand is called "sillhouette" and was installed by Audio Excellence in Orlando. 15%. It looks great.

I guess I'll monitor the situation over the next few weeks and if I'm convinced that the navi is being affected by the tint, I'll take it back to get the back window done with ceramic tint.

I received the moleskin several months ago for free from someone on here. I installed it myself without any problems a couple of weeks ago. It amazes me that with all that has been said about how easily the windows scratch and how cheap and easy the moleskin is to install that people continue to risk it and go without it.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SP150P
Thank you for clearing that up. Sometimes I get my nav satellites confused with the radio satellites!

I figured someone with more knowledge than I have would correct my astro-physics.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, Noes!

Originally Posted by ohmygators
... I guess I should have said something or reminded them about the metallic tint today during the actual install. I didn't think anything about it until I noticed the navi acting wierd later this afternoon (it was fine on my return trip over the same roads, however). I then checked the warranty on the tint, and sure enough, it's metallic...
Yeah, I hear ya'. For some reason, tint shops can be real gypsies in their business practices. They aren't known for their veracity (generalizing). The just want to move 'em in and move 'em out. I dread turning my car over to people even for an hour or so.

What ever happened to QUALITY and INTEGRITY?

I hope it works OK for you. As someone pointed out: it's not a permanent thing. If worse comes to worse, you can replace the film. If it ain't broke- don't fix it.

(sigh) -XP
Old 04-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ohmygators
I got my car tinted today. When I made the appointment a week ago I specifically told the guy that I had a navigation system and did not want metallic tint. I guess I should have said something or reminded them about the metallic tint today during the actual install. I didn't think anything about it until I noticed the navi acting wierd later this afternoon (it was fine on my return trip over the same roads, however). I then checked the warranty on the tint, and sure enough, it's metallic. I should have known something was up because they only charged me $139 for everything. The tint brand is called "sillhouette" and was installed by Audio Excellence in Orlando. 15%. It looks great.

I guess I'll monitor the situation over the next few weeks and if I'm convinced that the navi is being affected by the tint, I'll take it back to get the back window done with ceramic tint.

I received the moleskin several months ago for free from someone on here. I installed it myself without any problems a couple of weeks ago. It amazes me that with all that has been said about how easily the windows scratch and how cheap and easy the moleskin is to install that people continue to risk it and go without it.

What is moleskin and how did you get it for free ?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpaLicious
What is moleskin and how did you get it for free ?
Moleskin is a felt like material that is applied to the plastic wiper between the door panel and the window glass. It is used to keep dirt and grit out of the area that rubs against the tint, to prevent scratching. Here is a picture of moleskin.

You can get the moleskin from flnsx, who has posted his information in this thread. There is no longer a source here for the free moleskin.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro

Scratches even with Moleskin...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114111

Bad installation...Bad Luck... or maybe just not a viable option
Old 04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

so both an 04 and an 05 need moleskin??? I thought I read somewhere on here a few months back that it wasnt an issue on the 05s.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by mp3car
so both an 04 and an 05 need moleskin??? I thought I read somewhere on here a few months back that it wasnt an issue on the 05s.
Exact same design (which means exact same issue) on both ...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Pro

1. Does anyone have the link to the Moleskin Installation Page WITH Pictures...I did a
search but did not find a link with pictures (some had pics missing)

2. There was a thread here a couple of months ago about installing moleskin without
removing the door panels...

3. Does the whole panel need to come out, I understand the door panel has 2 or 3 pieces
(pictures might anwser this question)

thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

1. Does anyone have the link to the Moleskin Installation Page WITH Pictures...I did a
search but did not find a link with pictures (some had pics missing)

2. There was a thread here a couple of months ago about installing moleskin without
removing the door panels...

3. Does the whole panel need to come out, I understand the door panel has 2 or 3 pieces
(pictures might anwser this question)

thanks

1. If you want to wait a couple days I am going to install the moleskin, I will provide pics.

2. You can do that, but sometimes it causes a crease in the door panel. I would suggest simply pulling off the door panel. It is not hard.

3. Yes, the whole panel needs to come out. I'm not sure what you mean by multiple pieces? It is one panel that comes off.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
1. If you want to wait a couple days I am going to install the moleskin, I will provide pics.

2. You can do that, but sometimes it causes a crease in the door panel. I would suggest simply pulling off the door panel. It is not hard.

3. Yes, the whole panel needs to come out. I'm not sure what you mean by multiple pieces? It is one panel that comes off.
Thanks Vikram would really appreciate the Pictures!

With multiple pieces I meant maybe there door panel is divided into half (the top and bottom) I dont know what car I saw it but it was a 2 piece door-panel...Guess not the TL...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm Baaack!

Thanks Vikram would really appreciate the Pictures!

With multiple pieces I meant maybe there door panel is divided into half (the top and bottom) I dont know what car I saw it but it was a 2 piece door-panel...Guess not the TL...
TL door panel comes off as 1 unit. If I remember right 4 screws (two behind door latch, One under door handle, one on bump stop, then like 8 or 10 clips .. that's it. You don't even have to unplug any of the wires. roll down the window, unpop everything, pull up and off, remove the inside wiper and then hang the door panel off the window until your ready to rehang everything.

Really easy!
Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
TL door panel comes off as 1 unit. If I remember right 4 screws (two behind door latch, One under door handle, one on bump stop, then like 8 or 10 clips .. that's it. You don't even have to unplug any of the wires. roll down the window, unpop everything, pull up and off, remove the inside wiper and then hang the door panel off the window until your ready to rehang everything.

Really easy!
very easy. I will take pics tomorrow hopefully.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, well, sorry the pics are not nearly as good as I hoped - if only somebody else was taking the pics. Anyways here we go:

First, there is a cover behind the door handle that covers two screws. You need a small screwdriver (flat head) to take the cover off. Then unscrew the two screws behind it.

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010018.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010019.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010020.JPG[/IMG]

Then, underneath the door handle (above the side pocket) there is a hole and a screw in there that needs to be unscrewed - phillips.

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010021.JPG[/IMG]

Then there is a rubber stopper with a screw on the left side of the door. Unscrew it

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010022.JPG[/IMG]

Then you need to pull off the door panel itself. There are several door pins along the entire door. I found it easiest to start pulling (and it will take a little bit of force) on the right side of the vinyl door panel - closest to the steering wheel.

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010023.JPG[/IMG]

Then when you have all the pins out, you should be able to slide the door panel UP and over the door lock.

Once you have it out, you do NOT need to disconnect the wires, as you can see in this picture I circled the hole where one of the door pins was. IF any of the door pins are still in the door and not in the door panel, you need to get something like needle nose to pull it out and slide it back into the door panel.

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010024.JPG[/IMG]

The next two pictures show (circled) the door pins that are in the door panel. There are a few on the left and right side, and a couple on the bottom.

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010025.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010026.JPG[/IMG]

The next four pics show the piece which we are going to apply the mole skin to. It takes almost no effort to pull this out. It should just slide out.
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010027.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010028.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010029.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010030.JPG[/IMG]

This quicktime video shows the piece coming out and shows the moleskin already applied to the piece.
http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010031.MOV

This shows the door panel back on and the mole skin installed. To put the door panel on, you simply slide the door panel back over the door lock and push down. Then when thats in, just push the sides in (so the pins lock in place).

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010032.JPG[/IMG]

This picutre shows the pc with the mole skin installed. The blue circle is over the "lower" blade and the red is over the "upper blade" it is one single pc of moleskin going over both. When you pull apart the door, you will be able to understand this much better.

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010035.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010031.JPG[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Tinting Question - 3G Garage #K-013