Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 03:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinted window problem

Well, it's been 4 days since I got my windows tinted and am afarid of roll the windows down. I heard so much about inner wiper scratching the tint. I called my tint guy, but he's out of town 'til coming Monday. I really don't think he installed any felt in it, because it only took him about an hour and a half to complete the job. Doesn't installing felt removing side panels?

How hard is it to install these felts anyway? I heard some places charge extra to do this. Also, I heard some people asking about drawbacks of installing felt, but I still haven't found any answers. If there was any thread of this before, can someone post me a link to it? TIA.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Below was pulled from another forum:

Ok, here is what the tint shop guy said, if you roll down your window all the way you will see an inner and outer wiper for the window. It’s this thin inner wiper that is made out of hard plastic that is scratching the window tint. If any type of dirt gets stuck in that area it will scratch the window tint. I took a pic for you guys. Tell the tint shop they need to add felt to this hard plastic inner wiper. Here is the part and phone number for where your tint shop can get the felt for the inner wiper. He also said this is happening to a lot of other high-end vehicles like Mercedes, BMW and lexus. It’s just not an Acura thing.

CR Laurence catalog Part #C5901 1"by 90' moleskin channel liner with adhesive. About $17 per roll (800)-421-6144.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Has anyone here had their windows tinted without using the felt? If so, have you noticed any scratches in the tint?

I've been to a few shops that do window tinting & none will install the felt. Apparently it does involve taking the door panel off, one said that adding the felt will increase the pressure on the window and may shorten the life of the power window motor over time. I'm not sure I buy into that argument, but was thinking of skipping the felt. Any thoughts?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, I had tints done in early october, they scrated within a week of opening them (after waiting).

Every window has scratches.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Banned

Re: Tinted window problem

Originally posted by dtchung

How hard is it to install these felts anyway? I heard some places charge extra to do this. Also, I heard some people asking about drawbacks of installing felt, but I still haven't found any answers. If there was any thread of this before, can someone post me a link to it? TIA.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...light=moleskin

Old 01-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

I'm having the windows tinted as I'm writing this. I was gonna go with felt strip anyway, but the guy also recommended it. It's $30 extra, but I think it's well worth it.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

I post this in just about every other tint thread so here it is.

Get Diamond Tint Film. It comes with a nationwide, lifetime warrantee against everything, including scratching, the widow getting broken etc.

If you have scratches, not only will it be replaced free of charge, but the installer will probably install the moleskin as their cost to avoid having to redo the tint over and over. Regardless, it is a great deal, like having insurance on your tint that your deductible will not cover if your cars window gets broken some day.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Tinted window problem

Well, it's been 4 days since I got my windows tinted and am afarid of roll the windows down. I heard so much about inner wiper scratching the tint. I called my tint guy, but he's out of town 'til coming Monday. I really don't think he installed any felt in it, because it only took him about an hour and a half to complete the job. Doesn't installing felt removing side panels?

You should be able to see if the felt is installed. Just pull back the innner whipper and you should see felt in there. ou can do this with the windows up.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by LED Master
yes, I had tints done in early october, they scrated within a week of opening them (after waiting).

Me too, but after all the scratching occurred, I had the tint guy re-do the tint with the moleskin strip on the hard plastic part inside the window, and I haven't had a single scratch since. Its been two months!
Old 01-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Instructor

My tint guy was saying that I don't need felt for this car. That kinda turned me off. I explained what others were experiencing, but he insisted that only cars that needs it ware Mercedes and Lexus. He did say, if it scratches, then they would install the felt then.

Another thing that really bothers me is light refraction off the rear defroster. I heard again high end cars like Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW gets them, because of thicker defroster lines. When I told my tint guy, he told me give it 2 weeks to cure. However, I read from tintdude that this is normal. Thanks to Kona for the link. Does anyone else get this? It's driving me up the wall!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Banned

Another thing that really bothers me is light refraction off the rear defroster. I heard again high end cars like Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW gets them, because of thicker defroster lines. When I told my tint guy, he told me give it 2 weeks to cure. However, I read from tintdude that this is normal. Thanks to Kona for the link. Does anyone else get this? It's driving me up the wall!
I had it until a week or two went by, then it disappeared.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Originally posted by LED Master

Exact same here...Also heard that with the mole skin it was squeaking or something. Atleast my pen still works so its not a total loss.