3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Scratching DESPITE Moleskin!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tint Scratching DESPITE Moleskin!

My tint is really starting to scratch on both the front and rear windows despite the moleskin. I originally didn't have moleskin, started scratching, installed moleskin, replaced tint, and now here we are scratching again! Sonofabitch!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Sorry to hear that... So far, as the results I've seen on forums, TL'rs with Tint+Moleskin has lowered their chance of getting scratches...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Just installed my moleskin this weekend and am getting tint installed next weekend. Hope I don't have this problem. Very strange.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Just installed my moleskin this weekend and am getting tint installed next weekend. Hope I don't have this problem. Very strange.
iTISTIC, Where did you get the moleskin and where are you having your tint done? Are you getting ceramic tint? I work just down the road from you here in Tarpon Springs.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Got the moleskin from a guy off this site. I'd have to find the link, but I'm pretty sure you can find it in the "garage" .. Was fairly easy to install after the first one.

I was GOING to get my tint done at Buzz-Off Alarms on Dale Mabry in Tampa. Went there today, got a quote for 3M, guy said it wasn't metallic. Well I called this afternoon to get the line of 3M tint it is, and he told me it's FX-HP which IS metallic. I asked about the 3M Color-Stable (non-metallic) and he said they can do that but it's a lot more $$$. But the problem is now I don't trust that they'll really put that tint on or not. How will I know, ya know?! Have you had any luck finding non-metallic film? I've called about 25 places and 99% of them don't even know what non-metallic tint IS, even the tint company Crown Acura uses didn't know.. Please tell me you've had some luck.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
if you keep the window gaskets clean, you dont even need moleskin
Old 05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by cTLgo
if you keep the window gaskets clean, you dont even need moleskin
While I wouldn't go that far, cTLgo brings up a good point. Have you inspected the moleskin to see what's causing the scratch? run your finger across the wipers if you can't find anything there look for a rough edge somewhere....

No sense getting tint replaced without fixing the problem.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A tinter in our area said that the TL plastic (instead of rubber) used in the window combined with various tolerances in the door-window clearance causes the scratches and he could not guarantee an install to be scratch-free, with or without moleskin.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Everything felt clean as far as I could tell. Oh well, I think my TL is about old enough that I can start to live with all the minor imperfections
Old 05-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Advanced

iTISTIC,

I checked the Formula One window tint site that i got from this forum and they list a shop in Clearwater.

Sun Proof Corp. of Florida
1009 Court Street
Clearwater, FL 33756

(727) 446-1732
(727) 446-8468 (FAX)

http://www.formulaone.com/

Formula One has a ceramic/non-metallic tint for cars with a lot of electronics. I have not contacted Sun Proof yet....my car is still at the body shop from being rear ended a few weeks ago in Tarpon.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Thanks VTECboy. I did end up contacting them and already have an appt. for this Thursday to get it done. Getting Pinnacle all the way around. Not cheap, but worth it. The only problem is that the 3 closest Formula One dealers will only tint legally. I asked all three if they would do 15% on the front to match the back and they all said no. So I'm going to be going with 30% on the front 2 windows, and 15% on all back windows. Hopefully it turns out good. I'll post some pics Thursday so everyone can see. I have 17% mirror tint on my 01 3.2CL Type S now, so it's going to be hard to go back to a tint you can look right through from the outside. Really not thrilled about it, but I dont have a choice
Old 05-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iTISTIC
Thanks VTECboy. I did end up contacting them and already have an appt. for this Thursday to get it done. Getting Pinnacle all the way around. Not cheap, but worth it. The only problem is that the 3 closest Formula One dealers will only tint legally. I asked all three if they would do 15% on the front to match the back and they all said no. So I'm going to be going with 30% on the front 2 windows, and 15% on all back windows. Hopefully it turns out good. I'll post some pics Thursday so everyone can see. I have 17% mirror tint on my 01 3.2CL Type S now, so it's going to be hard to go back to a tint you can look right through from the outside. Really not thrilled about it, but I dont have a choice
Maybe they just say that over the phone....they don't know who you are. You may have better luck working an arrangement for darker tint in person...thats how I did my previous car. That tint shop gave me the darker (illegal) tint but would not give me a written receipt....they still guaranteed the work.

Let me know how it goes...I want the darker tint too. Are you doing a windshield strip?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Very true, but I can tell this lady wanted nothing to do with anything illegal. I may ask again when I drop it off Thursday morning, but I'm 99% sure she's gonna say "No". She became very rude when I originally asked. I was originally gonna get Pinnacle on rear window, and Comfort on all others. I then changed my mind amd said I wanted Pinnacle all the way around, and she rudely said "I'm still not tinting illegally on the front windows".. I told her she already stated that and just decided I wanted the Pinnacle all the way around. We'll see. I may not even mention it. I'm paying top $$ for the tint. She's quite a bit more than another Formula One dealer thats another hour away, but she'll do 15% on the back, where as the other one would only do 20% on the back.

I am getting the front-windshield strip..