3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint radio interference problem coming to a close...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Tint radio interference problem coming to a close...

Well...after getting llumar metallic tint(llumastar) on my tl and haveing a 60% loss of signal in my am radio(30% in my fm per the dealer)--I decided that the installer must have done something wrong. After all, I had a CL with supposedly the same tint(same shop) and had no issues. No one has been able to tell me why it works great in one car with antenna in window and not in another. I thought maybe the tint shop had done something wrong....I took car into Acura dealer. They checked the signal..from head unit to antenna before glas..no problem. Antenna connections are fine also. The problem is the actual tint. The tint shop offered to remove the tint and put on llumar dye tint for 50 dollars. It is guaranteed not to turn purple but may fade in a few years. I am going to go with it....The whole situation still doesnt make total sense to me but I have run out of options and I want my radio. The tint shop told me before I had the metallic tint put on that it *may* affect my am radio or nav and I told them to do the job anyway because it didnt affect my CL more than a tiny bit. All you guys looking for tint on your TL's should be prepared to go thru what I did...it seems to be an inexact science with these metallic tints. I would guess some have more metal than others. That is the only explanation I can think of...I think I can deal with fading of tint..(not sure what exactly that looks like)--as long as it doesnt turn purple. I hope this helps anyone considering tint.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking more for the smoked or limo tint and I assume it doesn't have any metal and won't be an issue. But you know what happens when you assume!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't it well know that metallic tints effect radio and nav? i thought this topic was discussed before. your previous CL might have had the radio antenna located somewhere else besides the rear window glass. i am not familiar with the CL but i would guess that is why there is a difference.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Well...after getting llumar metallic tint(llumastar) on my tl and haveing a 60% loss of signal in my am radio(30% in my fm per the dealer)--I decided that the installer must have done something wrong.
I have the Llumar Titanium tint and I don't know if its the same as the one you had, but I have no problems with any radio or navi reception. The titanium is supposed to be an intert metal and that seems to be the case with mine as it works great. Are you sure the installer didn't damage a wire or connection and are just making excuses?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
no...

Originally Posted by Jss1
I have the Llumar Titanium tint and I don't know if its the same as the one you had, but I have no problems with any radio or navi reception. The titanium is supposed to be an intert metal and that seems to be the case with mine as it works great. Are you sure the installer didn't damage a wire or connection and are just making excuses?
To answer both replies...the CL type S has the antenna in the glass just like the TL. As far as the tint shop is concerned, I took the car to the Acura dealer and they are the ones that told me there was no problem with the antenna or any wires. Its a confusing thing...really. I am sure you have no issues as I didnt with my CL. But, others have had issues. I tend to think that there are certain batches of tint that may have more metal than others. thats the only explanation I can think of being any damage to the antenna wires has been ruled out.