3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint/Moleskin Question - What tint brand & does moleskin really come off over time???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint/Moleskin Question - What tint brand & does moleskin really come off over time???

I've spoken to several tint shops and have asked Qs about metallic tints w/Navi and moleskin. I've been getting split answers on the metallic w/navi issue and almost everyone I've spoken with does moleskin, but they indicated it is likely to come off over time.

One, in particular (Sunshield Glass Tinting in Sherman Oaks), does most of the tints for Keyes Acura and other dealers in Van Nuys, indicated the following:

For their metallic tint, they use Madico or Llumar. For their ceramic, they use a couple of other brands (I don't remember the name). They recommend ceramic for cars w/Navi, but will do metallic if I sign a waiver. The waiver is b/c the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.

As for moleskin, they indicated what they've been doing on the Acuras and Mercedes is sanding w/a fine sandpaper the rubber gasket which causes the scratches. He, too, indicated that he would do moleskin ($5/window), but it will likely come off over time.

Anyone have issues w/their moleskin coming off? I've heard this from more than this one installer. And any preference w/brand of tint (llumar, madico, etc.)?

BTW, the tint job is $155 (comparable to other places around here).

Thanks in advance, Raj
Old 12-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by rajtw
I've spoken to several tint shops and have asked Qs about metallic tints w/Navi and moleskin. I've been getting split answers on the metallic w/navi issue and almost everyone I've spoken with does moleskin, but they indicated it is likely to come off over time.

One, in particular (Sunshield Glass Tinting in Sherman Oaks), does most of the tints for Keyes Acura and other dealers in Van Nuys, indicated the following:

For their metallic tint, they use Madico or Llumar. For their ceramic, they use a couple of other brands (I don't remember the name). They recommend ceramic for cars w/Navi, but will do metallic if I sign a waiver. The waiver is b/c the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.

As for moleskin, they indicated what they've been doing on the Acuras and Mercedes is sanding w/a fine sandpaper the rubber gasket which causes the scratches. He, too, indicated that he would do moleskin ($5/window), but it will likely come off over time.

Anyone have issues w/their moleskin coming off? I've heard this from more than this one installer. And any preference w/brand of tint (llumar, madico, etc.)?

BTW, the tint job is $155 (comparable to other places around here).

Thanks in advance, Raj

155 with the moleskin? or sanding? does the sanding mess up anything? do i have to make an appointment? what's their number and locations? thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of posts concerning the use of moleskin. Most of the folks here who have had there windows tinted have moleskin installled either by installer or DIY. I believe everyone is very satisfied/happy with the result of using moleskin. Prevent Scrathes/No Scratches. As far as the product coming off, I don't believe anyone here has had that happen. Considering that moleskin has an adhesive side, it would be safe to assume it may come off "over time".

Tinting with metallic or ceramic .... another highly debated topic. The manual does specify the use of ceramic tint for vehicles with Navi. Again, there are a number of folks who have used metallic tint with no ill effect on the Navi and there are some who said it does affect it. If you are skeptical about metallic then get ceramic. BTW, ceramic is a little more expensive than metallic.

Use the search engine to read more about tints and moleskin. There are numerous posts regarding these two topics as well a lof of insight and info from folks who have good/bad experiences. It's worth the read.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by terse
155 with the moleskin? or sanding? does the sanding mess up anything? do i have to make an appointment? what's their number and locations? thanks

Don't be lazy. He gave the place's name and location. Look it up and call them.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Intermediate

Thanks Hawhyen. I've spent hours reading the posts about tint & moleskin, but I was still confused b/c, as you pointed out, both topics are highly debated w/multiple opinions.

If there's one thing I learned from the posts, its that moleskin prevents scratches. I just didn't see anything about how long they last, etc. Heck, for $5/window, I'm going to get it done. The guy said it's only $5 b/c they have to access that area anyways when they tint so there's no real labor involved. The $5 is basically the cost of the material. He's done a lot of Mercedes' and seemed to be knowledgeable w/the scratching issue so I believe him.

As for cost, it is $155 for all of the windows (except the windshield of course) w/ an extra $5/window for moleskin. So the whole job will be $175.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:40 AM
Awesome to the Max

Thanks Hawhyen. I've spent hours reading the posts about tint & moleskin, but I was still confused b/c, as you pointed out, both topics are highly debated w/multiple opinions.

If there's one thing I learned from the posts, its that moleskin prevents scratches. I just didn't see anything about how long they last, etc. Heck, for $5/window, I'm going to get it done. The guy said it's only $5 b/c they have to access that area anyways when they tint so there's no real labor involved. The $5 is basically the cost of the material. He's done a lot of Mercedes' and seemed to be knowledgeable w/the scratching issue so I believe him.

As for cost, it is $155 for all of the windows (except the windshield of course) w/ an extra $5/window for moleskin. So the whole job will be $175.

wow...thanks..I think I'll go do that...maybe we can get a deal? for 150 if we refer one another? POWER BUY!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Banned

i've posted info about both items before.

1) the colder it gets the easier it becomes to "pull" the moleskin off, lifting right off the rubber. however, in the installed position it's unlikely that there will be any "pull" on the moleskin so it should stay in place for a long time.

2) the hotter it is the stickier the moleskin adhesive gets. if any part of the felt happens to fold over during window up/down and the adhesive touches the window, most likely the felt will get yanked off.

so far no one has reported any issues with their moleskin installs

3) metallic tints can affect navi, it all depends on the thickness and % of the film being used. i dont have navi, but i got Solargard HP-38 (metallic film) and it did not affect my AM radio (others had affected AM with their metallic film).
Old 12-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

When you get it done, post some pics for the forum. One more thing, on the rear quarter window make sure the installer goes "edge to edge" meaning it should be under the seal to the edge of the glass instead of around it. btw, what film are you getting and how dark?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

I got my 05 TL a week and a half ago and had scratches after opening the window twice. Went back to Acura dealer and talked to their installer (they do tint inhouse) and he indicated many TL's are coming back; what he said is that from factory there is "dirt" on the existing felt that causes scratching so they replaced
my felt and the tint and no problems after a few days. I'll be watching this very
carefully...... he said moleskins will tend to come off with temp swings......
Old 12-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

Buy Moleskin Below for you TL.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Nooob here, but I dont understand how applying ANY tint on your windows would affect your Navi. You aren't talking about if you put on a metallic that it reflects the Navi screen and making it hard to see out the windows are you? I guess im confused cuz you guys keep saying it affects your navi, and I would think that that would be your navi affecting your tint. haha I dunno... Im a noob

Old 12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EleVatE
Nooob here, but I dont understand how applying ANY tint on your windows would affect your Navi. You aren't talking about if you put on a metallic that it reflects the Navi screen and making it hard to see out the windows are you? I guess im confused cuz you guys keep saying it affects your navi, and I would think that that would be your navi affecting your tint. haha I dunno... Im a noob

No, it's not the Navi screen that's being discussed, it's the interference of the GPS signals to the navigation unit. The navi antenna is located under the rear deck shelf near the bottom edge of the rear window and a metallic tint coul/will interfere with the reception of GPS signals. That is why there is a warning not to use metallic film and use ceramic film instead. As previously stated, some have had no problems with metallic film and others do.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EleVatE

When you use a metallic tint, you are in effect putting a large very thin sheet of metal over the window. This then acts as an electromagnetic shield.

So, the GPS receiver for the navi system is somewhere under the rear deck. By putting a mettalic tint ont eh rear window, it can create signal degredation from the GPS satellites to teh GPS receiver in the car.

However, many don't report trouble. This is becasue if there is a strong signal, it will still get through. There are also generally many more satellites that can be received than are necessary to pinpoint a location. If you miss a sat or two, the navi can likely still find your location.

This said, I'm a EE and I know the chances of problems are small but I am going to put a ceramic tint on my car anyway.

I hope this helps, and I'd be happy clarify if I didn't make any sense.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
No, it's not the Navi screen that's being discussed, it's the interference of the GPS signals to the navigation unit. The navi antenna is located under the rear deck shelf near the bottom edge of the rear window and a metallic tint coul/will interfere with the reception of GPS signals. That is why there is a warning not to use metallic film and use ceramic film instead. As previously stated, some have had no problems with metallic film and others do.
Haha, you posted while I was writing. Good comments!!
Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hypertech
When you use a metallic tint, you are in effect putting a large very thin sheet of metal over the window. This then acts as an electromagnetic shield.

So, the GPS receiver for the navi system is somewhere under the rear deck. By putting a mettalic tint ont eh rear window, it can create signal degredation from the GPS satellites to teh GPS receiver in the car.

However, many don't report trouble. This is becasue if there is a strong signal, it will still get through. There are also generally many more satellites that can be received than are necessary to pinpoint a location. If you miss a sat or two, the navi can likely still find your location.

This said, I'm a EE and I know the chances of problems are small but I am going to put a ceramic tint on my car anyway.

I hope this helps, and I'd be happy clarify if I didn't make any sense.
Hypertech, Thanks! Points for you! I hope what I said was somewhat on track......
Old 12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Advanced

I just had my car tinted with Madico, 20%. Loving it and Nav and XM work flawlessly. Haven't had a problem. I know you're not supposed to put your windows down for the next couple days. But I haven't used moleskin and now i'm scared to put my windows down.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Awesome to the Max

Sun shield Glass Tinting
4704 Van Nuys Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Phone: (818) 906-8468
Old 12-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tekageek
I just had my car tinted with Madico, 20%. Loving it and Nav and XM work flawlessly. Haven't had a problem. I know you're not supposed to put your windows down for the next couple days. But I haven't used moleskin and now i'm scared to put my windows down.
Good to hear you're not having any probs with Navi. As far as the tint getting scratched get/order moleskin from flnsx ($25/kit) or cvajs (postage). Send them a PM for more info. Refer to this link as a DIY for Moleskin Install. You know the saying .... "An ounce of prevention....."