Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing belt replacement

I am about to get the timing belt replaced at the dealer along with the waterpump and tensioner. I Googled the other things I should do and I am getting mixed results. Some people say to replace the camshaft and crankshaft seals and others say if it's not leaking don't replace them. Some people are mentioning the valve cover gaskets. What I get the done?
Old 01-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Forget the seals and VC gaskets. Only need valves adjusted if making noise.
WP, tensioner, idler pulley, both PS O rings along with the timing belt and check
the serpentine belt. If plugs haven't been changed and @ 100k miles, they will be do.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

I have the service history from the previous owner. He recently changed the drive belt which I assume is different from the serpentine belt right? I changed the PS inlet O-ring just yetserday but had no idea it had another. Is it of any benefit to get the spark plugs done while getting the timing belt replaced? Sorry for all the questions lol and thanks for your reply.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

There are 2 belts, serpentine and timing, so if the serpentine is new,
no need to replace. There are 2 PS O rings and a good time to replace,
but not mandatory. Plugs are due for change @ 100k, but not necessary
to change when doing the timing belt service.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

do not listen to these guys, make sure you replace all the seals or they will end up leaking, timing belt replacement takes a lot labor and its only done so often that your seal will start to wear out before you can get a chance to touch them again. so be smart and get all these cheap seals replaced to save you some money. read the service manual, it tells you to replace them when changing timing belt
Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by riceclout
do not listen to these guys, make sure you replace all the seals or they will end up leaking, timing belt replacement takes a lot labor and its only done so often that your seal will start to wear out before you can get a chance to touch them again. so be smart and get all these cheap seals replaced to save you some money. read the service manual, it tells you to replace them when changing timing belt
Maybe you can specify where in the FSM it sates to replace the seals when doing the timing belt service.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

I do not have the service manual around me right now but i do remember it recommends to replace the seals somewhere, but i definitly recommend you to replace the seals while at it, they are cheap anyways. the seals do wear out and it might start to leak, not say they will but you are taking chances, why not do something simple and saves the trouble later? it's up to you to replace them or not i'm just giving my opinion you don't have to listen to me
Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I do not have the service manual around me right now but i do remember it recommends to replace the seals somewhere, but i definitly recommend you to replace the seals while at it, they are cheap anyways. the seals do wear out and it might start to leak, not say they will but you are taking chances, why not do something simple and saves the trouble later? it's up to you to replace them or not i'm just giving my opinion you don't have to listen to me
When you find time to peruse the FSM, you'll find that there is absolutely no reference to replace cam seals
when changing the timing belt. Actually don't know a dealer that recommends seal replacement when doing the
job as the seals are pretty hardy and if you were going to replace the cam seals that could possibly wear out, why not include the crank seal also?
The FSM's I familiar with don't have recommendations, they show the steps needed to perform tests and step by step instructions for part replacement.
The following users liked this post:
4drturbo (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Turbonut
When you find time to peruse the FSM, you'll find that there is absolutely no reference to replace cam seals
when changing the timing belt. Actually don't know a dealer that recommends seal replacement when doing the
job as the seals are pretty hardy and if you were going to replace the cam seals that could possibly wear out, why not include the crank seal also?
The FSM's I familiar with don't have recommendations, they show the steps needed to perform tests and step by step instructions for part replacement.
i just check the service manual on my computer it did not say replace cam seals. the seals i was talking about were the pump seals and so forth and i never said anything about cam seals so dont be putting words in my mouth. i read my posts again and i did not mention what seals so i guess you assumed i was talking about cam seals since op was asking about it. i should have made it more clear.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

i just check the service manual on my computer it did not say replace cam seals. the seals i was talking about were the pump seals and so forth and i never said anything about cam seals so dont be putting words in my mouth. i read my posts again and i did not mention what seals so i guess you assumed i was talking about cam seals since op was asking about it. i should have made it more clear.
Just an FYI, when the PS hose(s) are disconnected, they aren't seals, they are "O" rings and I agree they should be replaced.
Just make it clear in the future, especially when you state "do not listen to these guys".
Old 01-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

I am just as confused as when I first asked lol. To change the seals or to not change the seals. Hopefully more people can chime in.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you drive your car and it doesn't sit without driving your cam/crank seals should be fine. I would definitely have it done on the 2nd time you do the timing belt at around 200k.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Its simple,
Do not replace those cam, crank, etc seals unless they are leaking.

Valve covers do not get removed when doing timing belt job.

And your oil pump is probably starting to seep oil anyways so may as well replace that while doing timing belt job saves bunch of labor costs. Oil pump includes a new crank seal.

I've probably done about 1000+ timing belts in my lifetime so you can say I have some experience.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

So replace the entire oil pump not just the oil pump seals? After researching, it seems there have been a lot of TL oil pump leaks reported on multiple forums, some just at 60k.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

Nevermind found out it'll just be the oil pump seals. The Acura dealership around my way quoted me $1,181 for the timing belt, tensioner and waterpump. I called Honda and was quoted $876 for the same work. I know Acura's and Honda's are built similar but can I trust Honda to get the job done correctly?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceelojaycee
Nevermind found out it'll just be the oil pump seals. The Acura dealership around my way quoted me $1,181 for the timing belt, tensioner and waterpump. I called Honda and was quoted $876 for the same work. I know Acura's and Honda's are built similar but can I trust Honda to get the job done correctly?
Its not the dealership you need to be concerned about, it's the technician working on the car.

Just because they are Honda why do you suddenly think they aren't capable of doing as well of a job as a Acura dealer?

The engine in your car is made by Honda. It resembles the V6 in Accords.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

It's not that I think they are not just as capable, hell even an independent mechanic can probably do a better job who knows. I am just concerned whether or not OEM parts are going to be used, and honestly the possibility that since it is an Acura product the techs will be more familiar with the TL.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceelojaycee
It's not that I think they are not just as capable, hell even an independent mechanic can probably do a better job who knows. I am just concerned whether or not OEM parts are going to be used, and honestly the possibility that since it is an Acura product the techs will be more familiar with the TL.
OEM parts? That is a ridiculous question. The engine in your car is designed by Honda. You are at a Honda dealership. Why would they not use OEM Honda parts?

"since it is an Acura product the techs will be more familiar with the TL"

Have you ever opened your hood and looked at your engine bay and compared it to any 2003+ V6 Honda Accord? The layout is nearly identical. How everything works under the hood of your "Acura" TL is just like the V6 Accord.

Don't let the fancy "A" badge on the front and rear of your car deceive you. Everything underneath the hood is still made by Honda.

What I'm trying to say is the timing belt kit used for your Acura TL isn't just a "3G TL" specific timing belt kit. The parts in the timing belt kit is used in other Honda vehicles like the 2003-2015 accords and Honda Pilots..

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 01-02-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
This thread de-railed a bit.....I also took mine to the Honda dealer for my TB service (SB, TB, WP, Tensioner, Idler, Plugs, Valve Adj). The only thing I wish I would have done was get the oil pump seal changed since mine started weeping within a year. The only part that the Honda dealer couldn't get for me was the passenger side engine mount. That was an Acura specific part that they didn't have in stock....everything else replaced is shared with the Accord.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
OEM parts? That is a ridiculous question. The engine in your car is designed by Honda. You are at a Honda dealership. Why would they not use OEM Honda parts?

"since it is an Acura product the techs will be more familiar with the TL"

Have you ever opened your hood and looked at your engine bay and compared it to any 2003+ V6 Honda Accord? The layout is nearly identical. How everything works under the hood of your "Acura" TL is just like the V6 Accord.

Don't let the fancy "A" badge on the front and rear of your car deceive you. Everything underneath the hood is still made by Honda.

What I'm trying to say is the timing belt kit used for your Acura TL isn't just a "3G TL" specific timing belt kit. The parts in the timing belt kit is used in other Honda vehicles like the 2003-2015 accords and Honda Pilots..
Well thank for answering my question after stating it is rediculous. U know not everyone knows that "ALL" Acura parts are carried by Honda. Hey I learned something new from the poster above, not all Honda dealerships might have the mounts for TL's. You can't go around thinking that everyone knows that Acura is made by Honda becuase they don't, but that is just rediculous. I thank the above poster "Jackass" who replied with a more nuetral answer. People come to this forum (like me) knowing that other people are more knowledgeable on cars hoping they can have their questions answered. Thanks for the replies guys.Turbonut thank you, you have answered most of my questions posted on this forum.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I had my TB done at a Honda dealer (all 3 of my Acuras) couldnt pass up $536ea all in except auto tensioner which is required. I also had the other parts all ordered in advance for pullies, tensioners and even the motor mount. They swapped it all out for free; no additional labor which surprised the hell out of me. I even had them swap the thermostat in my RL since they were replacing coolant already. They did not replace the oil pump seals since they were not leaking they said to leave them alone.

My fortune the tech was a huge Acura fan esp RL and Type S they even wiped down the front clip with speed shine when they were done.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I had my TB done at a Honda dealer as well, I wished someone told me about changing out the oil pump seal during TB replacement as it's leaking after 2 yrs, 15K miles.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Location?

Can you guys post the location of the Honda dealer. The ones in my area cost are just as high as Acra
Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Cruiser

Location?

Can you guys post the location of the Honda dealer. The ones in my area cost are just as high as Acra
Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,693 Likes on 6,707 Posts
Originally Posted by antlive
And your area would be where?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Forget the seals and VC gaskets. Only need valves adjusted if making noise.
WP, tensioner, idler pulley, both PS O rings along with the timing belt and check
the serpentine belt. If plugs haven't been changed and @ 100k miles, they will be do.
What about when your exhaust valves get so loose you have a chain of misfires and can't maintain idle.
My valvetrain didn't once clatter before requiring a valve adjustment.

Why would you recommend touching the PS with the timing belt?
You shouldn't replace them unless they're leaking / causing air to get into pump.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Can't you effing read.. it says.. USA moran.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by antlive
Just have to call around to what is local to you. My local Honda dealer in KC was half the cost of the Acura dealer. Independent shops near me were charging within $100 of what Honda wanted and they were NOT going to use OE parts. Shop rates vary across the country, so just pick a few local to you and give them a call. I called three independent shops, one Acura dealer, and one Honda dealer before making my decision. Where there cheaper options? Yes, but I wasn't driving out to NJ to save a few hundred dollars. Just not worth my time.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I'm in MD near BWI
Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Cruiser

Called around last week in the Bmore MD , area and the Honda dealers are not that much different than the Acura dealers. Even the private shops have now gone up in price. Years ago the price will be almost half.

I took my car to the dealer because I needed a loaner and the private shops the the cheapest Honda dealer didn't have that program, so I said why not, pay the extra couple of hundred and have peace of mind. Well peace of mind would be short lived. I knew I had a oil leak, thought it may have been the crack washer on my oil plug I replaced, but the oil seals for the oil pump was leaking also. Of course, the dealer gives me a quote that was ridiculous and since they had already taken off the belts and water pump it would make since to change the oil seal also.....They are charging me for four hours extra of work for work they already had done by taking off the belts and water pump. Of course I was pissed, but at this point they really have you at a disadvantage. I also had them replace my power steering pump since that was leaking too...lol They gave me 10% off but this is why I don't my car to the dealership. All totaling approximately $2,800. If I can do the work or feel like doing the work myself, then I do and avoid taking it to a shop.....

I must say though, over the 9 1/2 years I have had my car it has earned me having to spend this kind of money. I have saved so much due to its reliability and me being a part time mechanic......
Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Wow on that cost. Seems like every TL has the oil and power steering pump leaks. I'm on the "top it off" plan haha