Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for tint while traveling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Ticket for tint while traveling.

So i got a ticket for tint when I was on my 2 week vacation. Although I havent really looked up the actual laws yet but I just wanted to ask here to see if any other members have similar experiences. I dont mind paying the ticket but would love to get out of it if I can.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM
say wattt??

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
my assumption is you are outta state. if that's the case, it should not matter if you did not meet their state's law. as long as you are legal in your own state, you should be fine, but u will be outta luck if you are not
Old 09-08-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i would fight it.
you couldnt have possibly known the other states regulations.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
http://www.tintlaws.com/
Old 09-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams

OoO new mexico has the lowest legal tint law!
texas is right behind with 25% all around
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
first time i got a tint on my 2nd GEN TL..i had 3% all around...before i went to court i used a steam machine took off my front tints...and went to court and they dismissed it...thats texas though i dont know about other places..

this was in conroe texas...near the jail house hahaha...

they ask me if i had any weapons and searched my car
Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 PM

^gangster car! calls for a search!!!

lol
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Race Director

My car is murdered out. Kinda worried they're gonna profile me lol
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 PM

assuming the OP had Tennessee plates, the cop should have used his judgement in determining if he knew the state regulations.

which state did you get caught in?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by 07_J35A8_noob
my assumption is you are outta state. if that's the case, it should not matter if you did not meet their state's law. as long as you are legal in your own state, you should be fine, but u will be outta luck if you are not

^^^ This...
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by justnspace
assuming the OP had Tennessee plates, the cop should have used his judgement in determining if he knew the state regulations.

I got pulled over in Iowa and yes I have TN registered plates and drivers license. Honestly though I hate to say it but I would say I did get profiled. I was heading back to TN outside of Mason City, IA. Trooper was going in the opposite direction on 2 lane highway each side. Now I should have gotten a ticket for speeding as I was going roughly 73-75mph in a 65mph marked area. My first reaction was " shit he got me for speeding". I slow down like any driver would do, I keep looking in the mirror for flashing lights. Now most troopers/local police will flash you as soon as they clock you ( in my cases they have anyways) this wasnt the case. So the trooper catches up to me and rides on my blind spot for a good 2 or 3 minutes before flashing me. He didnt give me the usual speel "do you know why i pulled you over" . He flat out said "I pulled you over because your tint looks too dark". He measured 14% with his tint meter. I have 20% all around except windshield. I know as far as TN laws go im not legal in TN. I probably wont fight the ticket as it would cost me more to go back to Iowa(about 11 hr drive from where i got pulled over). Cost of tint ticket $130, now i would say im happy to get a tint ticket over a speeding ticket. I just wanted to know if it was legal to be pulled over outside of the home state.

I might just start driving with the sunroof open next time out of state to let more light into the car lol

Last edited by dontTL'em'nothing; 09-08-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
I just wanted to know if it was legal to be pulled over outside of the home state.
Are you serious? A cop can pull you over wherever.

I hope you're kidding...

And yes, you're darker than the legal limit in any state. IA is marked for 70%.

TN states 35%.

You deserved the ticket.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

That's called easy money. 99 times out of 100 the person who receives the ticket simply mails in the fee so they don't have to go back there and go to court. You could have been singled out for JUST for having an out-of-state plate.

BTW: Aren't tint tickets just "fix-it-tickets"? I think that's how it is here in Nevada. Typically all you need to do is have the tint removed, and then get any cop to sign off on the ticket. Then there should be no fee. Now if you have a friend, or a friend of a friend who is a cop, they may just sign off on your ticket without removing the tint.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Are you serious? A cop can pull you over wherever.

I hope you're kidding...

And yes, you're darker than the legal limit in any state. IA is marked for 70%.

TN states 35%.

You deserved the ticket.

Let me rephrase it as i left out some words from the part you quoted lol. I understand a cop can pull you over for anything where ever when ever. I just wanted to know how or if they handled having tint any differently being out of state is all I wanted to know. Reason I asked is because I never had car with tint before as I bought the car like that 2 years ago and this is my first tint ticket. I know I deserved the ticket not denying that fact.

Originally Posted by 94eg!
That's called easy money. 99 times out of 100 the person who receives the ticket simply mails in the fee so they don't have to go back there and go to court. You could have been singled out for JUST for having an out-of-state plate.

BTW: Aren't tint tickets just "fix-it-tickets"? I think that's how it is here in Nevada. Typically all you need to do is have the tint removed, and then get any cop to sign off on the ticket. Then there should be no fee. Now if you have a friend, or a friend of a friend who is a cop, they may just sign off on your ticket without removing the tint.
Yes, most people will simply pay the fee as its more trouble and money to fight it when out of state. Ill just be paying the ticket.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM

if you ever travel through Texas be careful of the small towns, as they are money making towns!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is.. if the tint is legal in your home state, trial by mail. If it's not legal in your home state, you're in the wrong and pay your ticket. Simple, right?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 PM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
I don't understand what the problem is.. if the tint is legal in your home state, trial by mail. If it's not legal in your home state, you're in the wrong and pay your ticket. Simple, right?
There is no problem, only asked how other states handle travelers with tint. In my instance, the cop applied the Iowa state law of 70% tint and ticketed me for being illegal in the state of Iowa, he said he couldnt ticket me for TN though. I only asked because this was my first tint ticket and being out of state didnt know if that was legal for them to ticket me since i was out of state. Yes ill be paying the ticket as stated before, never said anywhere that i should have not gotten one, i only said if i could get out of it that would be great also.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
"To serve and protect". That Iowa state trooper deserves a medal for serving and protecting the community from such a dangerous criminal, a man from TN on vacation driving his TN registered car that has (OMG ILLEGAL TINT).

These cops need to get a life and start catching real criminals instead of pulling people over for no justifiable reason.

My friend got a no front plate ticket in MD when he has PA plates. You know why he got it? Because the cop was generating revenue for his town, thats it. That's all it is, they just want $$$$. And if im wrong? Why do they plea bargain tickets down? A 6pt speeding ticket thats $190 gets dropped to a parking ticket thats $300.....because THEY WANT MONEY. Nothing else.

Why are you saying you should have gotten one? YOU SHOULDNT HAVE GOTTEN the ticket. That ticket was 100% BS, that loser was just generating revenue. You are from TN, the Iowa state trooper should NOT apply IOWA VTL on a car that has TN plates and to a driver that has a TN license.

Thats like saying someone from Florida will get a tint ticket and no plate ticket in NY because in NY no tint is allowed and a front plate is required. How does that make sense? So if you live in FL and every time you travel out of state you are supposed to strip your tint and put a front plate on????????

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 09-08-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
I can't believe that it's $130 for the ticket. Tint tickets in NJ at least from my experience getting them, it's only $54.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
id be pissed. Never heard of a scenario like this
Old 09-08-2012, 06:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
There is no WAY you should pay that ticket. It is 100% .

Let's say Iowa has a requirement that vehicles display an annual inspection sticker. You, from TN, are 'just passing through'. Could an Iowa trooper stop you and ticket you for not having an Iowa inspection sticker?

NO way. The entire system would break down since each state has different rules.

Therefore, what they do instead, is allow you to maintain your vehicle in accordance with the state it is registered in. IOW - if you're registered in TN, the IA laws on inspections, tint, etc. do NOT apply. Period.

I recommend you contact the local DA/ADA and ask the charge be dismissed. Otherwise, I'd contact a local lawyer and pay 'em $100 to get it dismissed. I'd pay more for a lawyer if necessary .... on principle alone.
The following users liked this post:
GeeteeDan (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I Like turtles

Received 300 Likes on 238 Posts
Total BS. I'd be fighting it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I find a random pic of another car same color with out tint. Then send it with a letter saying you stripped it and didn't know it was illegal and that you purchased the car that way
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jonmizu
Personally I find a random pic of another car same color with out tint. Then send it with a letter saying you stripped it and didn't know it was illegal and that you purchased the car that way

Yes, because lying to an officer of the court is a MUCH better idea than making them apply the law properly.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never knew that you could get ticketed for tinted traveling other state even though it is legal in your own state, so i guess whenever you travel anywhere you have to check other state laws!!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
"To serve and protect". That Iowa state trooper deserves a medal for serving and protecting the community from such a dangerous criminal, a man from TN on vacation driving his TN registered car that has (OMG ILLEGAL TINT).

These cops need to get a life and start catching real criminals instead of pulling people over for no justifiable reason.

My friend got a no front plate ticket in MD when he has PA plates. You know why he got it? Because the cop was generating revenue for his town, thats it. That's all it is, they just want $$$$. And if im wrong? Why do they plea bargain tickets down? A 6pt speeding ticket thats $190 gets dropped to a parking ticket thats $300.....because THEY WANT MONEY. Nothing else.

Why are you saying you should have gotten one? YOU SHOULDNT HAVE GOTTEN the ticket. That ticket was 100% BS, that loser was just generating revenue. You are from TN, the Iowa state trooper should NOT apply IOWA VTL on a car that has TN plates and to a driver that has a TN license.

Thats like saying someone from Florida will get a tint ticket and no plate ticket in NY because in NY no tint is allowed and a front plate is required. How does that make sense? So if you live in FL and every time you travel out of state you are supposed to strip your tint and put a front plate on????????
First off, tint on front windows could be dangerous. Imagine this, you're pulling somebody over for a traffic violation and you can't see the driver because his front windows are tinted. Turns out he had a gun and he shoots and kills you before you can react. Yes, this happens, this is why these tint laws are in place. A CHP officer died just a few days ago as a result of a gunshot while performing a routine traffic stop.

I get it, orange, you hate cops. You've made that pretty clear with several of your post, but guess what? Cops are paid to enforce the law, just because you don't agree with the law you're going to get pissed at the guy enforcing it?

What is your next argument? That these cops are dbags wasting your time? Of course there are, there will always be bad cops like there are bad employees at any other job. You can't weed them all out and it's not fair to generalize cops the way you do.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
There is no WAY you should pay that ticket. It is 100% .

Let's say Iowa has a requirement that vehicles display an annual inspection sticker. You, from TN, are 'just passing through'. Could an Iowa trooper stop you and ticket you for not having an Iowa inspection sticker?

NO way. The entire system would break down since each state has different rules.

Therefore, what they do instead, is allow you to maintain your vehicle in accordance with the state it is registered in. IOW - if you're registered in TN, the IA laws on inspections, tint, etc. do NOT apply. Period.

I recommend you contact the local DA/ADA and ask the charge be dismissed. Otherwise, I'd contact a local lawyer and pay 'em $100 to get it dismissed. I'd pay more for a lawyer if necessary .... on principle alone.
this right here....i believe is correct by all means...its like me driving my car to another state...

imagine if someone from Lousiana is driving to TEXAS without a front liscense plate...lousiana only gets one licenses plate which is the rear...texas law by all means u got to have two plates one front one back...

its like a texas trooper giving a lousiana driver a ticket for no front plate when they just passing by texas for a visit..am i correct?..
Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dontTL'em'nothing
There is no problem, only asked how other states handle travelers with tint. In my instance, the cop applied the Iowa state law of 70% tint and ticketed me for being illegal in the state of Iowa, he said he couldnt ticket me for TN though. I only asked because this was my first tint ticket and being out of state didnt know if that was legal for them to ticket me since i was out of state. Yes ill be paying the ticket as stated before, never said anywhere that i should have not gotten one, i only said if i could get out of it that would be great also.
Trial by Declaration, look it up and give it a try, you'll probably have your ticket dismissed.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by anionrings

imagine if someone from Lousiana is driving to TEXAS without a front liscense plate...lousiana only gets one licenses plate which is the rear...texas law by all means u got to have two plates one front one back...

its like a texas trooper giving a lousiana driver a ticket for no front plate when they just passing by texas for a visit..am i correct?..

Exactly!! That is a much better analogy. It'd be utter F'kg chaos.

OP - seriously, fight this ticket.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Pro

im with bearcat...fight this...u have a high percentage of winning...really high...
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tint tickets in Hawaii is the most ridiculous thing ever! 297 per window that breaks the violation with a 32% limit and all for what? Nothing it's as especially when the cop that pulled you over has 5% windows! Negligence is the quickest way out and it hasn't failed me yet. Fighting the ticket would still be admitting you were wrong, by admitting you were wrong would mean you admit that you deserve the ticket.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 AM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
If your tint is within legal limits from your registered state you should be able to get out of it. Sadly a lot of people are never within those limits
Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by IamaTL
If your tint is within legal limits from your registered state you should be able to get out of it. Sadly a lot of people are never within those limits

I don't think it matters.

They can only ticket you for violations within their own jurisdiction. I don't see any way they can ticket you in Iowa for violating TN tint law.

Using the earlier analogy: You're registerd in TX and a front plate is required. You don't have one. You drive to Louisiana. Can an LA trooper ticket your for not having a front plate?

The IA trooper F'd this up .... for whatever reason. He NEVER should've written that ticket.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had some bad experiences with cops pulling me over for dumb shit. Oddly enough I got pulled over constantly in my Neon because I had my parking tag hanging on my mirror from my college and got labeled as a douchey college kid because my school was pretty notorious for having losers.

Ironically I have never gotten pulled over in my TL in the almost year I have had it.

I feel tint shouldn't be one of those things you get pulled over for. I completely understand why there are laws in place for it but it should be one of those things where you get pulled over and that gets tacked on afterwards. It's there to prevent not seeing someone with a gun so you pull them over? Alot of profiling involved in tinted windows IMO. Not trying to be racist but in my area a good deal of the people with tinted windows are black guys and that's where the profiling comes in.
The following users liked this post:
Aretardedorange (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
I don't see the problem with the ticket. Whether they write you for your state or their own, either way the tint is too dark. But it depends on the state. In most states, ANY vehicle on their roads must abide by the vehicle codes of that state. Period. That being said, most police officers will not write a ticket for something like this if it is legal where you live, but not there. Pretty much for that exact reason.... No one would expect you to know all of the laws of surrounding states when you travel into them. But at 13% the cop obviously thought it was a hazard and ticketed you for it. If it was legal in your state but not in theirs, you could get it thrown out. But no judge is going to throw it out considering no state allows 13%. So I think it's smart to just pay the ticket.

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Using the earlier analogy: You're registerd in TX and a front plate is required. You don't have one. You drive to Louisiana. Can an LA trooper ticket your for not having a front plate?
Same thing applies to what I posted above. If you are from a state which requires only one plate, they shouldn't ticket you for not having two plates. Because those states issue only one plate. Could a cop with a stick up his ass write a ticket for it? Yeah because you are on that states roads/highways. Would it get dismissed in court? Yes. Because like I said, no one is going to expect you to know surrounding states laws. Which even still, 1 plate states only issue 1 plate so you have no choice on that one.

Some border towns have huge shit storms over this type of stuff.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
This is why cops love to nail out of state drivers, because they know you won't fight the ticket if you have to drive through several states just to appear in court and testify. All the rear windows on my TLS are tinted dark, except my front windows are not tinted. I'm waiting for the day I'm driving out of state & pulled over.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TVL65
This is why cops love to nail out of state drivers, because they know you won't fight the ticket if you have to drive through several states just to appear in court and testify. All the rear windows on my TLS are tinted dark, except my front windows are not tinted. I'm waiting for the day I'm driving out of state & pulled over.
I guess I'll post this again

Trial by Declaration
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Fight it.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
riding low and steady

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
I guess I'll post this again

Trial by Declaration
Trial by Declaration sounds great and all but its only allowed in 9 states.
Per multiple links. Here is one for example http://blog.motorists.org/trial-by-d...oing-to-court/
Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
I got a ticket here in Cali with Nevada plates and I showed up to fight it and the cop didn't even show up. He was even there in the courtroom for another ticket he wrote but left and never came back before I was called up.

Quick Reply: Ticket for tint while traveling.