Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle "bumping"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle "bumping"

OK, how do I explain this problem I am having...

When I first start moving my car in the morning I usually pull away very slowly just because I am usually backing out of my driveway and then turning around in the cul-de-sac. When I start going forward, and I get to about 8 MPH two things happen. First the doors lock, as they should, but for the last week or so my gas pedal kind of hops under my foot. It almost feels like the ABS on the brake pedal but it is on the gas pedal and is only one pulse. It started doing it just occasionally, but now it does it everytime I pull away after starting. It is a good thing it does it every time now so that the dealer can witness it (although I don't know if it has to be cold). Anyway, anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Oh yeah, and I got my 18 OEM's from the group buy. I will post the pictures of them on my Redondo as soon as I install my new tires!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddww
OK, how do I explain this problem I am having...

When I first start moving my car in the morning I usually pull away very slowly just because I am usually backing out of my driveway and then turning around in the cul-de-sac. When I start going forward, and I get to about 8 MPH two things happen. First the doors lock, as they should, but for the last week or so my gas pedal kind of hops under my foot. It almost feels like the ABS on the brake pedal but it is on the gas pedal and is only one pulse. It started doing it just occasionally, but now it does it everytime I pull away after starting. It is a good thing it does it every time now so that the dealer can witness it (although I don't know if it has to be cold). Anyway, anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Oh yeah, and I got my 18 OEM's from the group buy. I will post the pictures of them on my Redondo as soon as I install my new tires!
I noticed that too, but mine does it then the doors lock.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say, that is when mine does it also. But it didn't used to...
Old 04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Totally normal, its the ABS doing its cycling. Every TL has it, I'm told
Old 04-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine does it too, I first thought it was a tire rub as it did it when I backed out of my driveway onto the street, then turned the wheel all the way the other way and then took off. But it has also done it with the tires not turned, sounds like a flap thud or just a hit of something, who knows.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Guys- It it more noticable some days than others, and does it happen only once?? Mine is that way. Once it happens, it never happens until I re-start the car. And if the car is already warm, it is ever so slight.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Instructor

How do you set the doors to lock after the car gets rollin?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EulisCool
How do you set the doors to lock after the car gets rollin?
That is under the key settings on the information screen on your dashboard. You can set the door locks, headlights off, and a bunch of other stuff...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Thomwarn
Guys- It it more noticable some days than others, and does it happen only once?? Mine is that way. Once it happens, it never happens until I re-start the car. And if the car is already warm, it is ever so slight.

As ppl said above, NORMAL.

It's very noticeable. If you start your car and roll over nearly 10 MPH, it'll sound. "thump" or "flap". And, it won't happen again until you restart your car next time...

Sometimes, my car won't have this sound if I turn off the engine in the gas station and turn it on later. But most of time, if my iginition has been turned off, I will hear this sound definitely after the next start. :devil: