Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a Used 2006 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thoughts on a Used 2006 Acura TL

Hey guys, my 03 Accord EX-L V6 was totaled last week so I've been in the market for a new used car. After not finding anything I would like with the payout I decided to jump into a bit more expensive car but that has everything I want.

I found a 2006 Anthracite Metallic Acura TL with 50k miles with Navigation that I really like. I liked the ride very much apart from some rattles here and there but from what I've read around the web it seems more common so I expected it.

However, I had two concerns however. When we first tried to start up the car the battery was dead and needed a boost to get things running. Could that be something as simple as someone leaving something on or a dying battery or maybe a sign of something more?

The other concern is that when we went out for a ride, I noticed that while stopped at a light the RPM needle was bouncing. Granted it wasn't a crazy amount but it was. I couldn't find a definitive answer over the web but after speaking with friends they say it could be the throttle body being dirty or sparkplugs misfiring or something along those lines.

The dealership has a 60 day warranty that covers mechanical issues and I am in Mass so I believe I also have the state lemon law on my side but I don't want to think about those things.

The sales person mentioned that he'd have both things checked out and fix whatever was necessary. I believe it's a case of a dealer getting a car and not wanting to put money into it if it won't sell.

I've run an autocheck and carfax and both came up clean. Both also corroborate the sale's person story of the car, which was the car was purchased an off-lease auction. The reports indicated only 1 owner and the carfax shows steady service in New Jersey.

The interior is immaculate and except for a couple of light nicks at the edge of the passenger front door, I do not see any scratches or imperfections. To me it seems like a very solid car overall.

Thanks for reading! What do you think? I've looked for other cars with other specifications and they tend to retail about 2-3k higher with dealers refusing to deal any lower.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,261 Likes on 2,632 Posts
Rattles are a common occurrence on 3G TL's, some are easy to solve (center front speaker with some double sided foam tape), others not so (front A pillars).

The RPM bouncing around could be alot but your friends are probably right. New plugs and cleaning out the throttle body should hopfully clear it up. Was the RPM increase/decrease alot (200RPM) or just some (50RPM)? If the dealership is really interested in moving this car, ask them to thorw in charging all the plugs with OEM NGK's and cleaning the throttle body).

It's hard to tell on the battery (someone left interior lights on, ...) or perhaps the battery is old and not holding a long term charge. I doubt it's anything besides a battery (Honda/Acura use Denso or Hitachi for alternators and typically last 200-300K miles, sometimes brushes need to be replaced but that's pretty cheap if you do it yourself ~$20).
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
battery could be as simple as not turning on the car for a couple of days or could be a sign of something going on with the charging system.

The rpm needle you talk about.

Was the engine loping up and down slightly to go along with the slight up and down on the tach, or was the engine idle holding staright while the rpm needle did its own thing?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the car hasn't been started in a while, the idle will probably be off for a little. A good tune-up and a fuel additive on the first tank should clear the problem up. Never put cheap gas in your car - I learned that the hard way with prior cars.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:11 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Go for it. Car and battery may still be under factory warranty. If not, have the dealer install a new battery and do the repair.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Do you think a tune up is necessary at 50k? I'll do it if I have to.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
well is the tune up being covered by the dealership? if so, yes. if not, no...depending of course on how the car was previously maintained.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Tune-up should not be required for another 50k, Congratulations.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The battery drain may also be your HFL (Hands Free Link). Check out the TSB here:

http://www.in.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B08-057.pdf

Congrats on your new TL. I'd also check for any recalls that it may need.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Congrats, actually, dont worry about the battery, i had the same issue when I bought mine, everytime i would go to see it, they needed to charge it, then when I went to pick it up they charged it full to 100% and its been fine ever since. its the whole story about theser acura batteries, their terrible.
for the rpm issue, just make sure they fix it before you get it, or dont stop bothering them until they fix it, before your 60 days pass.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all your input.

Quick question. I had my oil changed (Mobil 1 Ext. Perf 5W-20 and 110 Filter) the day before yesterday. After it was done I followed the instructions I found here and successfully reset my oil life indicator in the MID. However, yesterday, while scrolling through the different options of the MID I noticed the oil life had changed and was reading "<20%." I know the oil was changed since the tech did it right before me. I reset it back 100% yesterday and I'll see when I go out to my car if it has reset again but any advice would be appreciate.

Also, during the 1st reset the A1 service indicator came on and during the second reset the B 1 service indicator came up.

Thanks!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
I wouldn't be concerne with the service indicators, those come on based on mileage and only come on once the oil life is below 20%.

How is the car treating you otherwise...everything else working fine now?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Yeah, everything seems to be okay. Here's what I've done so far because I don't trust anyone, especially a dealer.

- Oil Change with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-20 and Mobile 1 Extended Performance Filter
- Transmission fluid change at local Honda dealer.
- Power steering fluid change
- Replace crappy dealer wiper blades Bosch Icon wiper blades
- New Ceramic Brake Pads and Rotors w/ new Brake Fluid
- Wix air filter
- Fram FreshBreeze cabin filter
- Had throttle body cleaned
- Tires balanced

Car feels so much better then when I first test drove (not that it was bad before). I didn't change the battery since the Honda dealer and my mechanic both said it was new.

This weekend I'm gonna go after the rattles.

Again, thanks for the all the input! Any further suggestions are welcome as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dimensions
Yeah, everything seems to be okay. Here's what I've done so far because I don't trust anyone, especially a dealer.

- Oil Change with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-20 and Mobile 1 Extended Performance Filter
- Transmission fluid change at local Honda dealer.
- Power steering fluid change
- Replace crappy dealer wiper blades Bosch Icon wiper blades
- New Ceramic Brake Pads and Rotors w/ new Brake Fluid
- Wix air filter
- Fram FreshBreeze cabin filter
- Had throttle body cleaned
- Tires balanced

Car feels so much better then when I first test drove (not that it was bad before). I didn't change the battery since the Honda dealer and my mechanic both said it was new.

This weekend I'm gonna go after the rattles.

Again, thanks for the all the input! Any further suggestions are welcome as well.

I just picked up an 06 WDP with Nav and plan to do the above as well. Glad you are happy and that there was some improvement after doing just basic maint items. What type of rotors and ceramic pads did you go with? My fronts will need replaced soon.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
Great Job! Sounds like you got it all covered!

PS...tranny fluid change is easier than an oil change for future reference. Also, I would recommend you look up how to Seafoam in the 3G garage and possibly removal of the intake resonator. With this I've seen an overall improvement of about 2 to 3 mpg.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

I actually seafoamed the car yesterday! I forgot to mention that. Not a lot of smoke came out but I'm sure it helped. I plan to re-seafoam in 2k miles.

The mechanic shop I go to uses the 'premium' NAPA pads and rotors. Are they the best? Probably not but I would consider them good as they did a fine job before and I expect them to be okay now.