Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who live DC/MC/VA area

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or dealers in the above areas are too greedy? Either they are not willing to discount above $600 or they manipulate interest rates/monet factors. Many dealers around NJ area are more than willing to discount above $1500 not to mention they are nicer and willing to work something out.

Just curious...
Old 01-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im finding the same but virginia beach, richmond, and delaware are becoming options.. plus after you pick your car up who wants to go straight home...? so you get to drive an hour home and you get to save big bucks... seems worth it to me..
Old 01-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Good point! I've found the purchase price as low as $32900 in NJ. I am just working on the money factor as this is something dealers use to make more profit.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

What specific dealerships are we talking about? I am curious to know what the negotiations have been like.

I leased my CL at Acura West three years ago. I got a great deal. But that car was selling slowly at the time.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

n/c
Old 01-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Re: Those who live DC/MC/VA area

Originally posted by Novice
Is it just me or dealers in the above areas are too greedy? Either they are not willing to discount above $600 or they manipulate interest rates/monet factors. Many dealers around NJ area are more than willing to discount above $1500 not to mention they are nicer and willing to work something out.

Just curious...
You have to realize that the DC Metro area is one of Acura's largest market. Meaning that Acura is very popular here, therefore dealers have very little incentive to haggle or discount.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Cruisin'

After trying all the dealerships in the area, my frustration just continued to grow. Due to Acura's popularity in the area, I just do not see the price of the TL going down anytime soon.

So, I took another member's advice and called Montclair Acura in NJ and got a great deal. I would rather deal with the slight hassle of traveling up to NJ than dealing with the hassle or frustration of the area dealerships. In fact, I just received a call today with a delivery scheduled during the first or second week of February!

Mark
Old 01-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Cruisin'

mcm244, Could you give us an idea of what you bought and what you paid relative to MSRP? Not to pry but $10 bucks in tolls and a couple of hundred in savings would well make it worth my drive...
Old 01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Pro

Originally posted by inaltlcoat
mcm244, Could you give us an idea of what you bought and what you paid relative to MSRP? Not to pry but $10 bucks in tolls and a couple of hundred in savings would well make it worth my drive...
It's a lot more than couple hundred. Mark probably got the same price as I did at Montclaire, which was $33,800 for AT/NAVI and includes the protection package. The dealer waived documentation fee of $137 for him and for me and there are no other junk fees. So roughly $1,700 off MSRP, if you count the $300 price of protection package (wheel locks, trunk tray and mud guards installed; they also etch VIN on windows, which is a theft deterrent).

When compared to local Northern VA dealers who are willing to discount only $500 max and have a $150-$250 documentation fee, that's a savings of more than a $1,000.

Personally, I traded in my car to CarMax and got a very good trade-in value. I then took the Amtrak train to Newark for $62. Montclaire's phone number is 973-239-3700 and the name of our salesman is Tom Curley. He's the nicest guy in auto sales in the country! Better catch him before he retires...
Old 01-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

The best offer I received in the MD/DC/VA area was MSRP for the TL and the protection package at cost instead of retail. So, at the advice of other members, I called Tom Curley at Montclair Acura. Since they did not have a NBP with Camel, I thought for sure I would have to pay MSRP. But, Tom is not like that. He is the nicest salesman I have ever dealt with!!!

On order:

NBP, Camel interior w/NAVI, 5AT
splash guards
wheel locks
all-season floor mats
wooden shift knob

$33,800 prior to tax.

So, we are talking $1000's not $100's. Yes, it will be a small inconvenience to get to NJ. You can reach Tom at (973) 239-3700. Good Luck!

Mark
Old 01-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Advanced

This sounds great! Has anyone talked to Tom about 6MT/Navi's. I would really have no problem going up to NJ to pick up the car. Did you receive these prices in writing?
Old 01-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Racer

So I just called Tom and was told he is on medical leave. Has anyone else talked to him?

I was just getting ready to order a Navi/6MT from a local dealer for 1000 below MSRP but had decided to wait till next month (Selling my rental property)
Old 01-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by criss
So I just called Tom and was told he is on medical leave. Has anyone else talked to him?

I was just getting ready to order a Navi/6MT from a local dealer for 1000 below MSRP but had decided to wait till next month (Selling my rental property)
You can talk directly to Tommy Wang, the sales manager. Just explained that you were referred to him by Tom Curley's customers and mention the price we received. Tommy is just as nice as Tom Curley, just a bit more business-like and busier.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by mamorgan1
This sounds great! Has anyone talked to Tom about 6MT/Navi's. I would really have no problem going up to NJ to pick up the car. Did you receive these prices in writing?
Yes, as soon as I was given the price I asked for it in writing. They faxed me a contract that showed TL with AT/NAVI with protection package for $33,800. The contract did show the $137 documentation fee in addition to $33,800, but they later waived it for me.

They did not ask me to sign the contract or any other paperwork, just asked for a $500 refundable deposit via credit card. That's it! Two weeks later I had my car and the entire transaction was as painless as the best of them.

I got a 20-day temporary non-resident permit stuck to my rear window and I'm still waiting on permanent paperwork. They had to mail all the paperwork to Virginia and supposedly only got the plates today.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Dulnev, that sounds great. Really sounds like you got a good deal that wasn't a hassle. But, do you know if they will give this same deal for a 6MT/Navi? Also, was the car you wanted on their lot or did they order it for you?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro

Dulnev, that sounds great. Really sounds like you got a good deal that wasn't a hassle. But, do you know if they will give this same deal for a 6MT/Navi? Also, was the car you wanted on their lot or did they order it for you?
I don't see why they shouldn't give you the same price. Just call them and ask.

When I called, they have one on the lot (green), but I wanted Anthracite. They called me back and said it would be about 2 weeks until Anthracite came. I put down a deposit and waited until they called me. I guess that means I "ordered" it.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Our area is too high class to get a major discount.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Pro

Originally posted by lovemyTL
Our area is too high class to get a major discount.
Or to rephrase it: our area is too full of rich a-holes who are not concerned about throwing the dealer an extra grand.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Advanced

One more question...do you guys think that 33,800 for a 6MT/Navi is a Great price, Good price, Okay price? Trying to decide if I should bother haggling with the jerks around here. Has anyone here talked to anyone at Frankel Acura in Hunt Valley? Just curious what your experience was there. I want to go ahead and order my car so I can start having fun driving it.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Cruisin'

One more question...do you guys think that 33,800 for a 6MT/Navi is a Great price, Good price, Okay price? Trying to decide if I should bother haggling with the jerks around here. Has anyone here talked to anyone at Frankel Acura in Hunt Valley? Just curious what your experience was there. I want to go ahead and order my car so I can start having fun driving it.
I talked with a guy named Mike. What an arrogant SOB? He began our conversation with, "The new TL is great! The funny thing is, I still have people coming in here expecting to get a price below MSRP! Can you believe it?"

I said, "Yes. Have a nice day!" And then I just walked away.

As far as your question regarding the price, only you can really answer it. I have had my Integra for about 9 years and it has been great. But, unfortunately, things are starting to go bad and I'm tired of putting money into it. So, I would like a new set of wheels.

Granted, if we wait until the supply of Navi's exceeds demand, we can expect to get some great deals. But, due to the issues with my car, I don't have the patience to wait.

So, you need to ask yourself 2 questions:

1. "How long are you willing to wait?"
2. "Is $33,800 a great deal if you decide not to wait?"

Mark
Old 01-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I woudn't bother with dealers around DC Metro area. As soon as they hear the work "NAVI", their personalities will change dramatically. The level of dishonesty will skyrocket not that it was in the normal range.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

CLGator:

$32900 came from Turnersville Acura in NJ (I've never even heard of this place before). I think the catch is that they will keep adding things on to this figure until the final # gets close to MSRP. If you say you are going to lease, they will give you some ridiculous money factor (like almost 8% or 0.0033). If you say you are going to finance one, they will say something like there is 9% NJ special tax or free tire vibrator or something. So, far, $33800 from Montclair has been the most reliable offer except they are getting flooded with phone calls not to mention now they have to wait something like 2 months to get a car. i did hear that Acura will be producing 2 Navi cars per 10. Then again, this news came from a jerk in VA, so who knows. All I know is that it sucks to be poor-never get a government job.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by criss

Tom left me a message last night stating he may be going on disibility leave. But, it was DULNEV who recommended I call Tom and I don't regret it!

When I called Tom and mentioned I was calling from MD, he just said, "You must know DULNEV." I said, "Yes." I mentioned I was looking for a 5AT TL w/Navi and I wanted one price with no hidden fees, excluding Tax, License/Registration fees. He immediately made an offer for $33,800. I said I would like the protection package and the wooden shift knob. He said he would call me right back, which he did. And then price was set at $33,800. It was painless!

Like DULNEV said, I made a refundable $500 credit card deposit and he faxed me the paperwork. He said, "if you can find a better deal, I understand and will give you a refund." He was very easy going and it was my best experince I ever had in making a car purchase!

I called the Saturday after Christmas. He mentioned it may take until the end of Jan or beginng of Feb since production was shut down due to the holiday. He called me last week with possible delivery dates of Jan 31 to Feb 4. And he called again yesterday to reaffirm this, mention his possible disibility leave, and thanked me.

He said, "You guys are great down there!" Believe me, thanks to the members of this website, like DULNEV, several of us have called Tom from down here and don't have any regrets!

Mark
Old 01-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

That's great. They do sound like very descent people.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:24 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Hey guys - I 'm in the same boat. I live in MD and I've actualy ordered my BLK/BLK NAVI 5/AT. I agree these people in this area are f@#*%ng out of this world. My thing though is what is the sales tax in NJ ? Because that makes hella difference ! I want to go to NJ but I have a car I need to trade in unless I can sell it in time ! Anyone know the how much tax NJ charges ?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

Nlytn, doesnt matter where you buy a car cause you pay the tax of the state where you title the car.. If I buy a car in MD or NJ I still pay 3% for Va Sales Tax to Va...
Old 01-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Mark, thanks so much. You may have saved me some time. I believe I was dealing with a Mike (older gentleman) when I test drove the TL last month. I'm not sure how long I can wait. There are certainly advantages to waiting. Atleast now I know that some people have had success elsewhere. I will keep Montclair Acura's number nearby.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info, Novice and others.

I don't know that the lack of good deals in MD/DC/VA has so much to do with "rich snobs" or "evil salespeople" or anything like that. Elsewhere on this board there are people complaining about some other areas of the country where it is apparently hard to get below MSRP. I would have to agree with what someone said about the popularity of Honda/Acura in this region. Basically just supply and demand. Plus it definitely seems the Navi option is in higher demand than Honda anticipated.

I wonder why this one dealership in NJ is willing to do such a great deal. Volume kickbacks? But then you'd think other dealers would do the same. They have to know they aren't attracting more business to their service dept with all these out of state sales, so they've got to be making money on each car. Interesting.

Since I want a 5AT/Navi I can see I'm going to be in the same boat as a lot of other people. I'm still going to try getting a good deal locally, probably by trying to deal with internet sales at several dealerships simultaneously. I was planning to wait a couple more months since my lease isn't up for three months, but I'm starting to think I need to have more lead time to get the car I want.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NLYTN
Hey guys - I 'm in the same boat. I live in MD and I've actualy ordered my BLK/BLK NAVI 5/AT. I agree these people in this area are f@#*%ng out of this world. My thing though is what is the sales tax in NJ ? Because that makes hella difference ! I want to go to NJ but I have a car I need to trade in unless I can sell it in time ! Anyone know the how much tax NJ charges ?
You will pay no NJ tax and no NJ registration fees. You'll get a free 20-day non-resident registration. Montclaire Acura charges $99 fee for title-tags-and-registration, but they say that they will refund anything over what my state charges. I believe VA fees are extremelly low, somewhere around $30 so I expect $69 back.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by CLGator
I wonder why this one dealership in NJ is willing to do such a great deal. Volume kickbacks? But then you'd think other dealers would do the same. They have to know they aren't attracting more business to their service dept with all these out of state sales, so they've got to be making money on each car. Interesting.

Since I want a 5AT/Navi I can see I'm going to be in the same boat as a lot of other people. I'm still going to try getting a good deal locally, probably by trying to deal with internet sales at several dealerships simultaneously. I was planning to wait a couple more months since my lease isn't up for three months, but I'm starting to think I need to have more lead time to get the car I want.
There are two reasons for discounting in NJ:

(1) DCH Montclaire Acura is supposedly the #2 or #3 highest volume Acura dealer in the US;

(2) Demand for Acuras in that area of NJ (Newark and such) is lower than in DC.

As far trying to negotiate in DC area, I would recommend that you stay away from Internet dealers here. I know the new Internet dealers at Pohanka (Alex Kresin) and at Radley (Mohamad) and I promis you that they will give you much worse deals than you can get from some of their non-Internet sales people.

I had deposit with Radley and numerous negotiations/conversations with Pohanka. I then presented both gentlemen with the details of the deal I made in NJ. Mohamad would offer only $500 off the NAVI/AT and Pohanka's Alex couldn't even do that! And I bought my last TL-S from Pohanka only 12 months before. Ridiculous!
Old 01-13-2004, 11:14 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

I soke with a guy at Karem Radley acura and he told me 750 off . He was the internet sales guy. . . . well if i can sell my car then it looks like ill be going to NJ
Old 01-14-2004, 04:41 AM
Instructor

In defense of Mohamad at Radley at Bailey's Crossing, Falls Church. In this market, I've found him to be the best bet going, and he'll absolutely deliver on whatever he tells you. I've found it worth $300 +/- to save an additional 10 hours of aggravation, and have a local rep to go to if something goes wrong. Service where you buy is another issue, but not that big of a deal. Understand your desire to get the absolute best deal, but having dealt w/Mohamad once before, I wasn't going to buy from anyone else. That loyalty saved me some bucks and will you too if you take the time to build a local relationship. Problem is, of course, you need to buy lots of cars. Things could be worse.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:56 AM
Intermediate

I tend to agree that doing business in DC/VA/MD is not worth it. I talked to every dealership in the area and most didn't even want to deal. If I bought a TL in MD it would be in at Criswell because even though they don't want to deal at least they are nice. The only place that let me test drive the car by myself. The only problem is that their service dept is really small. Pohanka is too far to take advacatage of their great service dept. They ONLY deal MSRP. Radley is a joke. They wasted my time. I told them my NY deal and they pretended they could do something close over the phone. The Annapolis dealer actually was willing to deal for a green navi on their lot (~1000 off), but it was GREEN. It's really sad that you have to travel far to buy this car. Even though they are making great profits now, they are loosing potential customers in the future to other dealerships up north. I have no problem driving ~250 miles to get my car because I'll probably drive it that much around the city in the first few days to get to know the car. Also I figure sevice dept serivice is much more profitable than selling a car. If I owned these dealerships at least they should consider future service. If you live in the area, do yourself a favor and go up north. Oh BTW Montclair may get stingy with their 33,800 offer soon. I was told they USED to give that deal last week.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Instructor

See, and everyone thinks Jersey stinks........well some parts do on the Turnpike, but not all of it. I work right down the road from DCH Acura in Montclair. They are supposed to be one of the better dealers around here. Wayne Acura has a large dealership, I purchased my Integra there, not sure how their prices are. I know they have alot of TL's on their lot. I'm looking to get a new TL sometime this spring. Don't have the money I want to put down now and also wouldn't want to buy a new car in this cold lousy weather.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Advanced

Dunlev,
Did that 33,800 price include everything like the delivery charge and their processing fee (or is that the $137 documentation fee)? Did you basically walk out paying $33,800 or were there any other additional costs?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro

Just $33,800.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced

dunlev,
Nice.. Thanks
One other thing - you mention Protection Package. What is this?
Is it the 100k extended warrantee or is it something related to the refinishing they do every 6 months? My dealer wanted $750 for that (claimed it was a good deal because individually the applications cost $150 each). If Montclair is including this in their 33,800 price, that's pretty solid.

EDIT: also, forgot to ask, if it is the refinishing, do you have to go back to montclair each time, or is it transferrable to any dealer?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro

"Protection package" term usually refers to the following package of accessories: wheel locks, trunk tray and mud guards (installed!). Some dealers also include all-weather floor mats in this package.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Oh, ok.. thanks for the clarification.. My dealer wanted $350 for those three accessories installed.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:34 PM
rlb
10th Gear

? Montclair Acura

Does anyone know if Montclair Acura is still honoring the $33,800 deal for an Auto/Nav?

mdplaya, you said that they told you that they USED to give that deal. Who told you this?

I'm planning on buying this week so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Those who live DC/MC/VA area