For those who have cleared their headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 03:43 AM
Cruisin'

For those who have cleared their headlights...

After disassembling my headlights to install zkw-r projector lenses I've decided to remove the amber inserts. I really like the "cleared look" in comparison to the stock amber reflectors.

Although I wouldn't mind installing the clear type s reflectors i can't justify the expense over a trivial color difference for a small plastic insert.

The issue: Upon reassembling the exterior lense and housing (without baking, trial fit), the clear inner reflector portion towards the rear of the headlight does not mount flush against the black and chrome insert that braces to the outer headlight lense. The mount that holds the original amber reflector on the chrome reflector pushes up against the black interior trim piece.

This results in an unsightly gap (at least a 1/2" more towards the bottom of the headlight) and also reflects the backside of the black and chrome insert.

I have not permanently assembled the exterior headlight lense and housing together because of the gap issue.

***Have any of you trimmed a portion of the inner chrome reflector or the black horizontal interior trim with good results? I just don't want to see a huge gap between the lense and the oem mirrored reflector.

Btw, i would prefer to not paint any of the inner headlight housing or pieces if possible. I like the look of the chrome inserts as long as it looks clean...
I have thought about possibly cutting the chrome reflector's amber reflector mount portion off with a razor (hopefully that makes sense ) or spraying a small portion of it black with paint as a last resort.

If I'm missing something please let me know. Any insight or tips is greatly appreciated. TIA

Here's some pics for reference:

Response from photobucket: The action that you were trying to perform has failed.

^^^guess photobucket is down ...pics to come soon

Last edited by nisif; 06-20-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2012 | 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Old 06-20-2012 | 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

If you remove the diffuser that's what it looks like. Your removing the piece that fills the gap, so once removed, a gap will Occur..

There really is nothing else you can do except get the type s diffuser.
Old 06-20-2012 | 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep Ack is right. Its really not very noticeable when its on the car. Make sure you dont use too much sealant around that area or it will squeeze up in there and be visible.