Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who had rims stolen

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those who had rims stolen

You can read my horror story and see pics here https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/omfg-you-kidding-meeeeeeeeeeeee-ugh-823766/

So my questions are the following:
1. What insurance company do you have?
2. Did they pay for OEM rims to be replaced?
3. Did you only have to pay the deductible or did they additionally charge you a portion of the new tires because they are considered a "wear and tear item"?
4. How many miles approximately did your car have when they were stolen.

I'd also like to ask that everyone who has had rims stolen to write a letter to Acura. I want to flood them with complaints and make them aware (even though they have to know already) of what is going on with their products. Hopefully if enough of us complain Acura might do something about it. I mean they include factory alarms why can't they include wheel locks on their vehicles? Or at the very least they can warn every TL-S owner of the theft of the rims and offer wheel locks. As a consumer because of this situation and the BS i am dealing with now I don't know if I would get another Acura for the simple fact that because they are so popular for theft why take another chance.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not trying to be an ass because I've had stuff stolen off my TL also but you can't really blame the manufacture for the actions of some low lifes, I highly doubt Acura corporate knew 2-3 years ago when these models came out that the wheels+parts would be such a hot commodity.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggy2dmax
Not trying to be an ass because I've had stuff stolen off my TL also but you can't really blame the manufacture for the actions of some low lifes, I highly doubt Acura corporate knew 2-3 years ago when these models came out that the wheels+parts would be such a hot commodity.
Ditto.

Except I've never had anything stolen from my car (knock on wood).

If someone takes a bat to your house's windows and steals stuff, you can't really complain to the builder.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 07-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I have followed your thread and I'm sorry that happened to you but it's not Acura's fault your wheels were stolen, they don't have to include special wheel locks and they don't have to warn you about the possibility of theft. Just my opinion.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Instructor

I hear what you are all saying and I don't "blame" Acura per se. I am just frustrated from the BS I have to now deal with. I just want to let them know so they are aware it's not like I expect anything from it but if enough people report it maybe something good can come of it. That's all I was hoping for...to save future owners a headache.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
It's the owners responsibility to keep their vehicle safe not the manufacturer, not the insurance company, not your neighbor.

No manufacture has to warn a customer that their rims may be stolen in the years to come, it doesn't make sense...they can possibly loose that sale!

However the two Acura's I've purchased both came with lock nuts, I guess dealers here are pushing for owners to purchase it regardless.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TechGeek
You can read my horror story and see pics here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823766

3. Did you only have to pay the deductible or did they additionally charge you a portion of the new tires because they are considered a "wear and tear item"?

I'd also like to ask that everyone who has had rims stolen to write a letter to Acura. I want to flood them with complaints and make them aware (even though they have to know already) of what is going on with their products. Hopefully if enough of us complain Acura might do something about it. I mean they include factory alarms why can't they include wheel locks on their vehicles? Or at the very least they can warn every TL-S owner of the theft of the rims and offer wheel locks. As a consumer because of this situation and the BS i am dealing with now I don't know if I would get another Acura for the simple fact that because they are so popular for theft why take another chance.
1. What insurance company do you have? State Farm
2. Did they pay for OEM rims to be replaced? No...they paid to have the OEM rims from an IROC as thats what was on the car in question at the time it was stolen, which in fact were more expensive that OEM rims on the truck that was stolen.
3. Did you only have to pay the deductible or did they additionally charge you a portion of the new tires because they are considered a "wear and tear item"? Deductible only...but I can see where they are going...and some will charge you back on wear and tear - I have had that happen with tires on a wreck before in the past.
4. How many miles approximately did your car have when they were stolen. Dont remember....it was about three years old as I recall.

The rest of your statements....its not Acura's fault. You are now pissing and moaning about a salesman NOT trying to sell you something that is kind of 001 level knowledge that some wouldnt want to pay for because they dont live in crime areas whatsoever. Most people cant stand salespeople that try to cram everything and the kitchen sink at you. But I bet they gave you a brochure...which clearly states OEM wheel locks as an option. See my point? Calling Acura corporate may let them know you had a set of rims stolen...but surely isnt going to get anything done in the end.

Sorry to hear you got your rims stolen and/or car....didnt read the original thread. Sorry.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Ok OK I get it was just a thought no one else needs to respond
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
You should be writing to the police to catch this ring of wheel thieves who have been running rampant in the NY/NJ area.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Hanover Insurance Company
2. They paid to have Acura TL Type S dark Hyper Gray wheels on it because that is what I said was on it to begin with
3. I had to cover the deductible but my buddy worked at the body shop so he was able to have them bury that... and they did knock off price per tire due to wear that they couldn't prove which is B.S.
4. My car had around 50k miles on a base 05 TL Auto sedan with A-spec kit.

the wonderful stock wheels that they wanted

pics of my loss

back to normal

after $4,000 in damage paid out.

Last edited by Vettezilla; 07-04-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
the OEM rim is nice
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vettezilla
1. Hanover Insurance Company
2. They paid to have Acura TL Type S dark Hyper Gray wheels on it because that is what I said was on it to begin with
3. I had to cover the deductible but my buddy worked at the body shop so he was able to have them bury that... and they did knock off price per tire due to wear that they couldn't prove which is B.S.
4. My car had around 50k miles on a base 05 TL Auto sedan with A-spec kit.
They were nice enough to give you your lug nuts back. But sorry for the loss.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
I strongly feel Acura is at fault for all these wheels getting stolen. Some genius at Acura decided it would be a good idea to include sexy stock wheels with the 3G. They should've given us all hubcaps instead.
The following users liked this post:
stvtec (07-07-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought my 07 TL-S CPO and received wheels locks. My buddy has an 06 and bought used from a dealer and it had wheel locks. I've seen several of these threads also with members having their wheels stolen. All I can say, is karma has its way of coming around.

Hope you get your baby back to the way she was....
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
we should find solutions instead of blame. You need to prevent this from happening again. I suggest two different types of wheel locks.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
we should find solutions instead of blame. You need to prevent this from happening again. I suggest two different types of wheel locks.
Two types of wheel locks are great, but if they want them they are still going to take them. I mean if they are willing to steal them with one set of wheel locks...just my
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope all of you that had your rims stolen from in front of your house take advantage of the situation by organizing some type of town watch. people will listen now because they have an example.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Wish there was something that we could put on our rims that would shock the f**k out of these people when they touch them. This would also work great at meets... just sayin. lol idk
Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Anakalia
Wish there was something that we could put on our rims that would shock the f**k out of these people when they touch them. This would also work great at meets... just sayin. lol idk
Imagine trying to wash your rims or if it starts raining...

just saying lol
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
I think the problem is the justice system. They need stiffer penalties for people caught stealing.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iRockSOHC
They were nice enough to give you your lug nuts back. But sorry for the loss.
no they weren't nice enough... I put them on before I took the pics... I instinctively rounded them all up and put them on so I didn't lose them.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Imagine trying to wash your rims or if it starts raining...

just saying lol
Yea I know right?! lmao That's why I said wish
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
You can read my horror story and see pics here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823766

I understand the frustration having had many thefts with my first car but never wheels. I think you missed the most important questions though:

5. How many of you actually had wheel locks and still got your wheels jacked?

6. How many of you had tires with < 10K miles on them?

I'm sure a few people have had their wheels jacked even with OEM locks so the tip about having two sets of locks is probably a great idea next time with Type-S rims.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 07-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Having two sets of locks will not only throw the thief off but also cause more work for them as they have to use two keys, but then again they could just leave the key on as they are loosening the rest and when it gets to the key they just loosen it as any other lug nut. But maybe use two keys, one oem and another that's Honda, don't know if Honda uses different key patterns than acura.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
You know part of the problem are the buyers too. I mean a lot are buying them without knowing the full history of the product. It used to be so rare to see Type S wheels but nowadays you see them everywhere. The other day I saw an accord with a 3G rim and on another case I also saw a very old beat up RL with 3G Type S rims. No offense to people in the "for sale" forum but I see alot of typeS rims there too, I mean we dont know where they are from. The seller can just say "they are partying out." But be very careful who you buy it from guys, you might just be supporting the rim theft business.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Instructor

I don't wanna stir the pot but if I am leasing a car then why should I have to buy all these extra accessories that I will just have to give up when I return the car. And why can they include a factory alarm (as basic as it is) but not wheel locks. It's not like they are expensive and from what I keep reading lots of dealers are including them so why can't it be standard...ESPECIALLY since I have to assume Acura knows about the popularity of these rims/tires with thieves.

Because of this BS I am out $500 for my deductible plus another $113 for tires for "wear and tear", 2 weeks without my car and a major headache as to what to do now. I am now gonna be paranoid whenever I have to park my car anywhere.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't wanna stir the pot but if I am leasing a car then why should I have to buy all these extra accessories that I will just have to give up when I return the car. And why can they include a factory alarm (as basic as it is) but not wheel locks. It's not like they are expensive and from what I keep reading lots of dealers are including them so why can't it be standard...ESPECIALLY since I have to assume Acura knows about the popularity of these rims/tires with thieves.

Because of this BS I am out $500 for my deductible plus another $113 for tires for "wear and tear", 2 weeks without my car and a major headache as to what to do now. I am now gonna be paranoid whenever I have to park my car anywhere.
I agree that it most likely wouldn't cost much for Acura to include locks but I do disagree that Acura knew ahead of time that these wheels would be hot items. It's sorta like saying why change the oil in your car if its only a lease and you'll be returning it anyways.

I think your real beef is with your insurance company for dicking you around and for that I don't blame you one bit for being upset.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Not ahead of time obviously they wouldn't know (although past experience shows that most hondas are very popular with theft for parts) but at least in the past months to a year when it was known and popular what they could have done wass send out a notice or have the service departments warn customers with TL-S's that there have been thefts of wheels. Then it would be on me to buy locks or not. But going back to your oil comment when I buy a car I know I am going to have to maintain it lease or not. I shouldn't have to buy parts to secure it only to turn it in so the next person has them for free. Again they include an alarm why not wheels.

But yes again you are right I am royally pissed about my insurance and the fact that I asked the guy well what happens if all 4 were gone then how would you charge me and he had no answer. Here I am getting screwed for being honest when I could have (and apparently should have) removed the other 2 and reported all 4 were stolen. Always the little guy getting screwed
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
i feel ya on the little guy getting screwed techgeek. sorry about what happened to your car but karma will come around for you!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Skillionare

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some people's train of thought really amazes me. Acura/Honda has to know that there is an extremely high demand curve when it comes to the 2ndary market and their parts. Hell even insurance companies know because Honda is always in the top 5 for most cars stolen in the country. Does this mean they should provide wheel locks etc? No absolutely not. They already provide a basic security system that sounds if a window is smashed or a door is unlocked the wrong way. That's it though. That is all they should have to provide. To the OP, I am really sorry for your loss. To the other cat that had his car on a brick and a tire. I am sorry as well. That type of shit really sucks balls but if you are looking to place blame, blame the scumbags that did the dirty deed.
The following users liked this post:
RainSupreme (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
My dealer installed the 'security package' on all cars and the locks came with it- I think that was the only thing. Same thing for our Honda Pilot from a different dealer too. So perhaps Acura should provide the locks as standard equipment, but they don't cost much to add afterwards or time for that matter. I can't really blame Acura for wheels getting stolen. Think of it this way, at least the cars are getting stolen so the alarm and key chip must be doing some good anyways.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

hey techgeek i had my tires stolen lol i posted that on ur thread before. so ya my insurance company wants me to pay $650 CAD on top of the deductibles for tire depreciation.
dont you guys think thats bullshit? i searched michelin online and found like 4 different tires that were recommended/suggested by michelin and each tires averaged out to be around 180ish x 4 = 720. which means my old stolen tires were worth $70...
they said they calculate it with my current mileage which is 40,000 km but those michelin tires are said to last 70,000 km so how does $650 make sense...just a big sigh
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
^^^ Gettin' Raped!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Look folks...wheels are easy to steal...locks or not. Fact. It takes about 60 seconds to remove those locks.....seriously. Seen it done at tire shops all the time for people that lose their wheel keys.

All two sets of locks is going to do is make you a harder target....which in fact...can be all it takes many times. Multiple sets of locks....PITA....easier target next door....one of those things.

Thats about all this thread or hub bub adds up to in the end.

Acura tossing wheel locks in standard? Dont see it happening. The typical client that Acura sells new cars to dicker over price too much. Want wheel locks standard...get a true luxury car....but then that comes at a WAY different price point.

And not knocking Acura quality/luxury here....just saying its not a true luxury brand name for the most part...its entry level luxury more or less. Want true luxury...get a bentley or something....they likely come with wheel locks standard....but then the buyers of that type of car dont dicker over price either.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My boy had his typeS wheels stolen and his insurance took care of it
Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by TomuTLS
hey techgeek i had my tires stolen lol i posted that on ur thread before. so ya my insurance company wants me to pay $650 CAD on top of the deductibles for tire depreciation.
dont you guys think thats bullshit? i searched michelin online and found like 4 different tires that were recommended/suggested by michelin and each tires averaged out to be around 180ish x 4 = 720. which means my old stolen tires were worth $70...
they said they calculate it with my current mileage which is 40,000 km but those michelin tires are said to last 70,000 km so how does $650 make sense...just a big sigh
Listen Tomu....Its a negotiation when dealing with Insurance companies. They always start off wanting to pay absolutely nothing, and you start off wanting them to pay for everything. If you're good enough and persistent enough, they'll work with you on the tires. I've dealt with insurance companies for other reasons in the past, and if you bitch and complain enough, they'll just want to shut you up and get you to go away. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Cruisin'

Thx BigPZ ya i know insurance companies always try to squeeze every cent out of ppl that's just how they get so rich especially when theres only one from where i am. Well i got a safety check report saying my stolen set of tires were still 8/32 which is like 75% left or something so hopefully i can decrease that 650.
BTW guys i realize theres a lot of talk about wheel locks but what ultimately is the best wheel lock setup? I consulted my friend whos dad owns a shop and i'm going for 16 spline locks and 4 flower pattern locks and my friend said i was crazy and no one ever does that lol....but i'm now paranoid as hell.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TomuTLS
Thx BigPZ ya i know insurance companies always try to squeeze every cent out of ppl that's just how they get so rich especially when theres only one from where i am. Well i got a safety check report saying my stolen set of tires were still 8/32 which is like 75% left or something so hopefully i can decrease that 650.
BTW guys i realize theres a lot of talk about wheel locks but what ultimately is the best wheel lock setup? I consulted my friend whos dad owns a shop and i'm going for 16 spline locks and 4 flower pattern locks and my friend said i was crazy and no one ever does that lol....but i'm now paranoid as hell.
The flower pattern locks, to me, seem to give you the best protection because its harder to hammer on a socket on the something that is completely round over something that had some edge for it to grip. A heptagon type lug would also be really hard to get because a socket can't grip an edge at all. Only problem with flower pattern locks is the keys strip easier, I've seen it happen twice.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 AM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/socal-310/stolen-volk-le37t-814206/

Those bitches stole my volks!

@d-townhakuzo i was using Rays locks which are heptagonal 7-sided lugs with slot on one of the sides for a key. There is no way to keep thieves from getting what they want, we can only take more and more precautions. it sucks, but thats life... For the record my Rays lugs were the "extended" version which are actually round at the end for about an inch and then the key starts.

This means that afar, they appear to be completely round. point is, if they want it, they can get it.

Last edited by chinkwapin; 07-13-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by chinkwapin
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814206

Those bitches stole my volks!

@d-townhakuzo i was using Rays locks which are heptagonal 7-sided lugs with slot on one of the sides for a key. There is no way to keep thieves from getting what they want, we can only take more and more precautions. it sucks, but thats life... For the record my Rays lugs were the "extended" version which are actually round at the end for about an inch and then the key starts.

This means that afar, they appear to be completely round. point is, if they want it, they can get it.

wow! thats crazy! even in a parking garage?!! for what its worth, your car still looks good and clean even without the rims. But damn?!!

Quick Reply: For those who had rims stolen