Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with PIAA Super Silicone Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with PIAA Super Silicone Wipers

I've been having the same problems as some of the other members in the forum with severe wiper chatter and screeching. I followed all the steps in applying the silicone and they worked great for the 1st rainfall......they were perfect, no noise, no chatter wiped and expounded the rain like I've never seen. However, I noticed that after the first carwash after the appiclation they have never worked the same. The chattering has reached a new level. The chatter is so bad that my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars noticed them sound and that something doesn't look right.....and the sound makes me cringe since I just replaced the windshield

Anyway, my question is can I just buy the silicone wipes somewhere? I searched the piaa site and the pepboys site with no luck. Should I just buy the the refills and hope it comes with the silicone wipes? And does anyone know if cleaning the windshield with windex after its been treated remove the silicone application?

If it helps any the stock wipers also chattered like crazy and and left streaks. Thats why I went with the piaa wipers after searching the forum and reading nothing but positive feedback.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:40 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by Rambo303
I've been having the same problems as some of the other members in the forum with severe wiper chatter and screeching. I followed all the steps in applying the silicone and they worked great for the 1st rainfall......they were perfect, no noise, no chatter wiped and expounded the rain like I've never seen. However, I noticed that after the first carwash after the appiclation they have never worked the same. The chattering has reached a new level. The chatter is so bad that my girlfriend who knows nothing about cars noticed them sound and that something doesn't look right.....and the sound makes me cringe since I just replaced the windshield

Anyway, my question is can I just buy the silicone wipes somewhere? I searched the piaa site and the pepboys site with no luck. Should I just buy the the refills and hope it comes with the silicone wipes? And does anyone know if cleaning the windshield with windex after its been treated remove the silicone application?

If it helps any the stock wipers also chattered like crazy and and left streaks. Thats why I went with the piaa wipers after searching the forum and reading nothing but positive feedback.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
That's what I have, the Sporza version. I love 'em and have had them on since spring. And yes, the windex will take off the silicon and make them chatter, because now you do not have that coating on anymore. They tell you also to run them dry once in a while (after cleaning your windshield) to lay down a new coating of silicon from the wipers.

I don't know what else to tell you, except maybe something deteriorated the silicon?!? ... it sound like my old rubber wipers did when they were dried-out and shot!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey rambo,

i had the SAME EXACT PROBLEm...you probably are refering to my thread i posted awhile back.....as the wipers ease into normal use, they won't chatter as badly....today it was raining in jersey and they worked like a charm.

Pepboys sells the wipers i think they are 10-15 dollars for the refills not sure.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you would need to maintain these wiper blades??? If so, do you wipe some sort of silicon solution on it? and when you wash the car are you supposed to avoid getting soap on it?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Racer

i've been using them for 4-6weeks now, thru several rainstorms (NJ). i didn't use the silicone stuff; i am a firm believer in RAIN-X. i like them, but don't believe they're worth the $18-$22 ea i paid for them. i've ordered refills for the oem (stock) wipers. these PIAA's will have to work VERY well for a VERY long time before they beat va $3.00 (or less) oe wiper insert.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Appreciate the feedback guys

I appreciate everyone who took timeout to respond. And yes NFLblitz I was referring to your post. I guess I feel a little better that I wasn't the only person with the problem.....because at least I know I didn't f - up the installation. I guess I'll just take the loss and purchase some refills. I figure it doesn't make sense to have super silicone wipers with no silicone on them. These wipers without silicone maybe worse than the stock ones! It hurts that at the end of all this it will have cost me about $70 just for some damn wipers! (just needed to vent a bit)

Anyone think rain x plus silicone wipers might work? Being that rain x is readily available compared to silicone wipes.

Again thanx fellas!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:07 PM
信是寶

Just my experience with rainX is that it works great when you first put it on and shortly thereafter, yet it affects the wipers by depositing a fine coat on them. Then if you do not wipe them down regularly, they tend to let water slip underneath them ... which makes them not very efficient.

I went through more wipers that way ... but the rainX stuff is great when it is fresh. I really like my Sporzas so far (since spring) and have them working like when I first put them on.

I am sorry about your bad experience ... but you are right ... the cheap refills are fine, even if you replace them often ... the PIAAs are $$$.