Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those comming from a TSX 6MT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those comming from a TSX 6MT...

to a TL-S 6MT, how would you compare the clutch pedal feel from one to the other?

I was at the dealer to try a TL-S 6MT but he did not have one. He said they will in 2 weeks. I'll go and try it to feel for myself. However in the meantime, I'd like to have your opinions. He also said that the TL-S clutch is much stiffer.

Also, in the TSX, at least for me, going ftom 1st to 2nd at WOT it's very difficult to time the clutch right. I almost always get a huge lag. The only way to have it go properly is to slip the clutch a lot, which I don't like to do. So my 2nd question is does the TL-S 6MT has this issue also?

I'm not looking for a debate on 5AT vs 6MT nor which you think is better, just your impression on the clutch feeling with normal driving and hard launches.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Racer

it doesn't seem that anyone has even thought of this, or even cared to think about this difference.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have an '04 manual. I have done a number of writeups regarding the TL manual transmission and the clutch assembly. In a nutshell, here is what to expect (though I cannot be certain the same will hold true for new model TL-S's as I understand some changes have been made).

The clutch is hydraulically operated which, as in all other similar designs I have driven, tends to dull or remove the "clutching action" feel of the clutch assembly transmitted through the pedal. However, this is rather easy to get used to.

The pedal travel is relatively short and the takeup travel is even shorter. Also, initial engagement tends to occur close to the floor (or if you prefer, very soon in the release process). I found the initial engagement on mine to begin about 1 1/2" from the stop pad on the firewall.

The takeup travel distance from the moment of initial engagement to that of producing enough clamping pressure to move the car in first gear is very short. This coupled with the early engagement, the quiet engine, and the hydraulically operated clutch (some also say the drive-by-wire throttle) has caused many people to jerk and buck the car, or stall the car when starting out. It is a little different and less forgiving than a lot of other cars.

On the bright side, once you have it down, you'll find the clutching action combined with the 6MT tranny to be a gem. I love mine and enjoy driving it every chance I get.

As for your comment and question,

"Also, in the TSX, at least for me, going ftom 1st to 2nd at WOT it's very difficult to time the clutch right. I almost always get a huge lag. The only way to have it go properly is to slip the clutch a lot, which I don't like to do. So my 2nd question is does the TL-S 6MT has this issue also"

I would have to say that is due to a very wide gear ratio spread between 1st and 2nd gears, though you would have to post the ratios to confirm this. I will tell you that this is not unusual in cars with small, low torque engines. The TL ads claim that the manual transmission is a close ratio box, but that is not true. Gears 2 through 6 are relatively close, but the spread between first and second is not. However, you won't have your TSX problem in the TL. At least I don't and I have done a fair amount of drag racing in my life.

Now one thing that will happen (at least it does with my '04) on hard launches, WOT runs to second gear, and quick shifts is when you hit second gear, it will feel like the engine is bogging even though your foot is fully in the throttle. This is due to the VSA sensing the onset of wheel spin and backing off the throttle to control this. So if you want total control on your launches and runs through the gears, turn of the VSA. Only thing is you'll spin the tires all the way through first and a fair amount through second - that's what mine does.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Thanks.

1st to 2nd difference in ratio is very wide in the TSX (3.267:1 first gear ratio, 1.88:1 second gear ratio, 1.355:1 third gear ratio, 1.028:1 fourth gear ratio, 0.825:1 fifth gear ratio, 0.659:1 sixth gear ratio) but I also drove a CSX Type-S (like a Civic Sedan Si) where I did not have this hesitation or lag between 1st and 2nd. Just wanted opinions.