Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of trading in 04 TL need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thinking of trading in 04 TL need help!

I have a 04 SSM TL with ATLP quads, UR pulley, CAI, and Tein suspension. I'm thinking of trading it in for a 06 Black Subaru STi. I'm getting a good deal on it and i would be paying less on my monthly payments. The only thing that has me iffy if the interior on the STi.

Additional info:
TL-
*93000 miles
*still under warranty
*No problems

Subaru-
*50000 miles
*Carfax is clear
*minor mods include de-badged and stealth look

Let me know what you thing thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
LOL aint nothing stealthy about that wing.

Theres no comparison about the interiors. The STI seats are going to fit tighter, but its still kinda econobox. The TL is a luxury car by comparison.

If you are dropping payments, why not? Subarus tend to be pretty reliable from what I hear. I could be wrong though....

Oh, and if you want to come off that CAI and Suspension, lmk
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
many dealers wont take lowered tricked out cars- the market for them is usually less than mom and pop coming to the dealer for a car
But if you found one that will give you its value plus half of what the upgrades cost you- thats a decent deal
Or remove the good parts and sell here to happy ziners

mod parts for subaru are everywhere and they make a real fun track day car
Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
auto upholstry shops can redo the seat padding and covering-
or get seat a decent seat from several makers- that will hold you tight in the turns and still be comfortable for the long cruise

www.cg-lock.com is an alternative that attaches to the seatbelt and will hold you race car tight

all the door panels can be recovered in your choice of materials and carpet can be replaced, then you have a custom car that shows your designs,,and hauls azz like you cant believe
Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gr8ness97
LOL aint nothing stealthy about that wing.

Theres no comparison about the interiors. The STI seats are going to fit tighter, but its still kinda econobox. The TL is a luxury car by comparison.

If you are dropping payments, why not? Subarus tend to be pretty reliable from what I hear. I could be wrong though....

Oh, and if you want to come off that CAI and Suspension, lmk
Well the wing is just out there haha

True but i don't want to lose the navi, integrated phone, and all the little things (that i might not even use) like the seat warmers that look kool to have. haha

Yeah they have been tested and they can take a huge beating!! And if it goes through...I'll have you in mind for the springs and CAI. I would part out.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
many dealers wont take lowered tricked out cars- the market for them is usually less than mom and pop coming to the dealer for a car
But if you found one that will give you its value plus half of what the upgrades cost you- thats a decent deal
Or remove the good parts and sell here to happy ziners

mod parts for subaru are everywhere and they make a real fun track day car
Yeah I would part out my car. Most of my mods are bolt on so i would bring it back to stock.

true, i looked it up and it looks fun to work with. Many more options than the TL.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
auto upholstry shops can redo the seat padding and covering-
or get seat a decent seat from several makers- that will hold you tight in the turns and still be comfortable for the long cruise

www.cg-lock.com is an alternative that attaches to the seatbelt and will hold you race car tight

all the door panels can be recovered in your choice of materials and carpet can be replaced, then you have a custom car that shows your designs,,and hauls azz like you cant believe
I like your thinking, i didn't think about the whole carpeting and upholstery. I test drove it last week and i loved the BOV sound! But no joke that car is fast! and stock as well!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Racer

Thanks for the help deciding guys!
BTW...the price on the STi is $21,000
is that a fair price?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
The STi's are about as basic as an econo car. They have no cool toys or any gadgets whatsoever. They ride like complete crap, arent spectacular on fuel economy, and to some people they look goofy (like a 16 year old boys dream car).

I know I know I might have been a bit harsh and dont get me wrong the STi is a performer for what it is fairly quick and handles amazingly. My buddy had a STi that he bought new and man I tell ya if I road in that car long enough it made me wanna throw up. Horrible ride and very basic and boring looking interior.

As for your TL just de-mod it man and sell the parts.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I didn't know you had ATLP quads I thought you had the HKS exhaust
Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
I didn't know you had ATLP quads I thought you had the HKS exhaust
I actually came across these quads about a month ago. I sold the HKS because i was getting a little iffy about the empty exhaust port in the rear. So now i'm running ATLP race pipe and quands. (2nd batch)
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
The STi's are about as basic as an econo car. They have no cool toys or any gadgets whatsoever. They ride like complete crap, arent spectacular on fuel economy, and to some people they look goofy (like a 16 year old boys dream car).

I know I know I might have been a bit harsh and dont get me wrong the STi is a performer for what it is fairly quick and handles amazingly. My buddy had a STi that he bought new and man I tell ya if I road in that car long enough it made me wanna throw up. Horrible ride and very basic and boring looking interior.

As for your TL just de-mod it man and sell the parts.
things like that make me think about it, i agree on the interior. The ride quality isnt that awesome on Tein s.tech as well but it's alright (my TL) but when i test drove the STi it wasn't so bad. There are many options available for the STi.

*Another reason im thinking of the trade is because I would like a 6SPD instead of a Auto.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 PM
2011 BMW 335i

If thats a picture of the exact subaru you would be trading for I have to admit it is pretty nice, although I don't know about trading in a TL for a subaru....
Old 08-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro

get it lol, that Su-b is a nice car i google the interior and it looks pretty nice and it has things that we all like, all wheels drive and 6sp and low payments then your TL, do it
Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Scooby doobie crusin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i was just in the same boat as you...

sold my 2002 tl-s and was in the market for the STI but couldnt take the interior....

soooo i ended up purchasing a 2005 subaru legacy gt limited 2.5 turbo AWD 5mt...

which has the same longblock as the sti... everything from the head up is different, as well as the turbo, FMIC, and the tranny but basically the same powerhouse...

the great part about the legacy, is with the limited you get all leather.... so i feel like im driving a STI (performance wise) but when i take a sec and look around the cabin the feel is all luxury....

look into em man... i love mine
Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by carlos9827
If thats a picture of the exact subaru you would be trading for I have to admit it is pretty nice, although I don't know about trading in a TL for a subaru....
Yeah it's exactly that one. Test driving it left me speechless but once i got back into my Acura...you can't beat the ATLP exhaust with that VTEC. Idk, i usualy have that mod bug in me and a subaru has many more options to play with in the aftermarket zone.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by race4ed
get it lol, that Su-b is a nice car i google the interior and it looks pretty nice and it has things that we all like, all wheels drive and 6sp and low payments then your TL, do it
haha you hit the 3 major points in this battle supporting the Su-b!
AWD Turbo
6SPD Manual
Low payments

it can also handle a beating, more than the TL can.

Originally Posted by abptltypes02
well i was just in the same boat as you...

sold my 2002 tl-s and was in the market for the STI but couldnt take the interior....

soooo i ended up purchasing a 2005 subaru legacy gt limited 2.5 turbo AWD 5mt...

which has the same longblock as the sti... everything from the head up is different, as well as the turbo, FMIC, and the tranny but basically the same powerhouse...

the great part about the legacy, is with the limited you get all leather.... so i feel like im driving a STI (performance wise) but when i take a sec and look around the cabin the feel is all luxury....

look into em man... i love mine
I'm glad im not alone

Hmm...i'll look into that but i would think that the STi gets more respect on the street, idk haha

Last edited by tldrummer89; 08-13-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I vote NO.. my buddy has a STi w/ 370whp.. it's fun but definitely not a DD.. plus it's cramped and he always gets crap from the cops over his BOV.. plus the one your trading in for is fugly IMO.. but if you do, part out your TL first!

Or sell your mods and pickup Rodney's bolt on turbo kit for the TL..
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Majofo
I vote NO.. my buddy has a STi w/ 370whp.. it's fun but definitely not a DD.. plus it's cramped and he always gets crap from the cops over his BOV.. plus the one your trading in for is fugly IMO.. but if you do, part out your TL first!

Or sell your mods and pickup Rodney's bolt on turbo kit for the TL..
Alright ill take that into consideration. You think so? but its just a stock black Sti with cleared headlights.

haha i wish i could but it's too much $ and my car has to many miles on it already, idk how the engine would take it.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
how much for the atlp quads??
Old 08-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
i used to have and traded it in for my 05 tl. Ive been thinking still to this day to get my sti back but i love the tl too much. First of all its awd so the car is only fast from a launch...from a roll sti isnt all that fast. Second its a four banger and mine didnt last. I had tranny problems clutch problems and that car cannot handle a beating like my tl does. Honda is one of the best cars, not a sti. As for respect, the respect youll get is it stolen like most of my friends already have had to their sti's. One of my friends actually saw his car drive away and was like wow look at that nice sti....HOLY SHIT ITS MINE!! and it was gone.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Maybe just the generic wheels are fugly. lol.

Well if it's any consolation.. I have the same miles as you but the mileage on the engine doesn't make me apprehensive about FI.. the trans & piston design is something else to think about entirely, but Rodney seems to be running without issues.

It's difficult to upgrade while paying less.. are you saying you'd get more back in value if you traded in your TL? Subies seem to be decent cars, especially if you're an enthusiast.. I'd prefer an EVO though..
Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I'd try to find the LGTs.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AckTL05
how much for the atlp quads??
PM me an offer.

Originally Posted by AckTL05
i used to have and traded it in for my 05 tl. Ive been thinking still to this day to get my sti back but i love the tl too much. First of all its awd so the car is only fast from a launch...from a roll sti isnt all that fast. Second its a four banger and mine didnt last. I had tranny problems clutch problems and that car cannot handle a beating like my tl does. Honda is one of the best cars, not a sti. As for respect, the respect youll get is it stolen like most of my friends already have had to their sti's. One of my friends actually saw his car drive away and was like wow look at that nice sti....HOLY SHIT ITS MINE!! and it was gone.
I thought the STi could take a better beating than the TL though? well thats as far as i have heard. And you're right about the launch, i felt the difference when i test drove it. Well im going this monday to check it out and im actually going to test drive the Evo as well. Idk but i've always had an interest in turbo cars thats another reason why im looking into this.

Originally Posted by Majofo
Maybe just the generic wheels are fugly. lol.

Well if it's any consolation.. I have the same miles as you but the mileage on the engine doesn't make me apprehensive about FI.. the trans & piston design is something else to think about entirely, but Rodney seems to be running without issues.

It's difficult to upgrade while paying less.. are you saying you'd get more back in value if you traded in your TL? Subies seem to be decent cars, especially if you're an enthusiast.. I'd prefer an EVO though..
True but turbo charging a car with that many miles can't be good on the long run haha specially if you're like me and like to drive fast from point A to point B.

Well my payments would be $100 less than im paying now and the can has 45000 miles less than mine. It is also stick which is a + but like ive been saying, the interior is just so plain compared to the TL. I am an enthusiast and im actually looking into the evo as well
Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JS + TL
I'd try to find the LGTs.
whats that?
Old 08-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Scooby doobie crusin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the legacy gt i was talkin about.... there called "lgt's"
Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by abptltypes02
the legacy gt i was talkin about.... there called "lgt's"
got you.

Well to all, i most likely will start my part out next week so i'll keep an update on that.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
woo beat an sti (that generation/year) off the line with his 6MT TL. just a thought...
was it is a spoof? probably...but even from a roll he pulled away *hint hint* find an 6MT TL

i've been in the market for something a little different...but i just couldn't step away from the TL. if by getting the sti, it lowers the price of your monthly payments however, i say go for it! good luck..........................difficult decision.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by tldrummer89
Thanks for the help deciding guys!
BTW...the price on the STi is $21,000
is that a fair price?
Getting back to the payments. So if the sales price is 21k for the Sube, what are they offering for trade-in on the TL? Sounds like your loan just got extended to get your payments down because I doubt you're getting 21k for a 2004 TL with 95K miles on it. If that is the case, trading cars is costing you money even if the payments are reduced. The Acura is also likely to hold its value much better in the coming years which is another factor to consider.

The other thing you should look at is what insurance is going to cost you trading from TL to Sti- some of your car payment savings may go towards increased insurance costs- particularly comprehensive with the additional theft factor.

Yet another factor is if you plan on taking the Sti to the dealership- the Suburu dealers are not nearly as accommodating as Acura dealers are having owned a Suburu before.

These are some of the other things I would look at if I were you besides the miles and performance. The Sti is a nice car, but the wing is not. I know I would miss some of the creature comforts of the TL personally but everyone is different.