Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 05 TL 6Spd today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove a 05 TL 6Spd today.

I went to test drive a TSX 6spd today at Park Ave and they only had autos so I settled to test drive a 6spd TL instead. The test drive was horrible and very short. I didn't get to feel out the car at all. First off, I got it in first and I gas it slightly and the car starts bogging. This was after the clutch was fully engaged and already going 5mph+. The rpms jumped from 2k to 4k up and down and so forth. So, I go into 2nd and 3rd and all seems well. I come to a stop sign and i'm in first again...it happens again!! I looked like a total idiot! I'm assuming there could've been a problem with that car..but who knows? But in any case, the dealer gave me a quote of 33,800 for a tl 6spd with navigation. Just wondering what everyone else paid for? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:58 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
uhm.... ya, there had to be a problem with the car... learn how to drive the stick....

the 6mt tranny is hard to get used to at first....
Old 02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Licking Platters Clean

What? Yeah, it's a little catchy at first, but not THAT bad, damn! I'd put my money on you needing driving lessons before betting the car is bad.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Talking I think I know what the problem was!

I think you need to check the CPU behind the steering wheel...this has proved to be the problem on most ocassions when there is a poor launch with the 6-MT!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
What? Yeah, it's a little catchy at first, but not THAT bad, damn! I'd put my money on you needing driving lessons before betting the car is bad.
tl clutch is a little testy compared to others i have driven... with time my smoothness came back. when i took my girlfriends parents to dinner the other nite her father asked me if it was an auto.... her mom smacked him and asked if he could see my arm moving..... but for the first 2-3 months it was a little jerky and i even stalled it a few times
Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
I hope he can drive a manual or else i might ahve 2 take that supra off his hands
Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you def sucked at teh 6 spd
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro

Did y'all read my post? The car was bogging/jerking after the clutch was fully engaged not while I was giving gas and releasing the clutch pedal. Think of it like this. You're going 20mph in 2nd gear and you press the gas pedal(not WOT) and hold it and the car just starts jerking/bogging and you see the RPM going up and down in between 2k-4k RPMS.

BTW, the TL clutch feel/tranny felt like any other honda's i've driven. Nothing special or difficult about it. If anything, I have to get used to the super light clutch pedal feel.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro

When did I say that I launched the car? Read the post correctly before starting with your :rolleyes"

Originally Posted by SBTL
I think you need to check the CPU behind the steering wheel...this has proved to be the problem on most ocassions when there is a poor launch with the 6-MT!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Pro

uhm... actually 6spd was not hard to get used to at all. but hey, everyone has difference when it comes to learning new things.

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
uhm.... ya, there had to be a problem with the car... learn how to drive the stick....

the 6mt tranny is hard to get used to at first....
Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro

Hey, do you have a 05 tl by any chance?
Originally Posted by cTLgo
you def sucked at teh 6 spd
Old 02-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
uhm... actually 6spd was not hard to get used to at all. but hey, everyone has difference when it comes to learning new things.
I guess they're upset that you werent born with full knowledge of how to drive a 2005 Acura TL 6MT for maximum performance.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
10th Gear

I have a '04 6MT. If you try another test drive turn off the VSA (traction control) and try it again. The way the VSA operates is when the wheels start to spin the VSA kicks in and cuts the rpms to the engine. Since I live in New England and drive in the snow/ice this happens all the time in first gear. There is an indicator on the dash I believe below the tach that lights up a triangle in an orange color when the VSA automatically engages. It doesn't take much of a punch to the gas to get this to happen especially with the Turanzas.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Instructor

I test drove a 6MT TL as well, and the salesman was impressed that I was the only person not to stall it up a hill behind the dealership. I had NO ISSUES with the test drive. The TL is awesome in MT.

Chumps.

Learn how to drive MT then test drive cars.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What they said.

In brand new ones, the clutch is hard to finesse and takes a while.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro

Who are you talking about when you speak of "they"? What's with this hype of driving a damn 6spd on a TL? It's nothing special, really. You're a dumbass, read what I wrote.

Originally Posted by F23A4
I guess they're upset that you werent born with full knowledge of how to drive a 2005 Acura TL 6MT for maximum performance.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Pro

For you guys that know how to drive stick, good for you! It's nothing special or outragously difficult. I've been driving a 6spd myself for three years and I have no issues. It took me a few moments to get the hang of it when I first learned it. According to some of you fellas, I have to learn how to drive manual....but I already do know. I even ride a bike with 6 gears.

Once again, I didn't launch the car at all. The bogging/jerking effect happened when I pressed the gas pedal slightly to accelrate, clutch fully engaged, already going 5mph+/_, and not going full throttle. I had no issues with the clutch engagement at all. It was nice and easy.

It's amusing how some of you guys make it this BIG thing when it comes to driving a 6spd on TL. It's no big deal. Get over it.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Pro

The VSA did not kick in while that was happening.

Originally Posted by DADS_TL
I have a '04 6MT. If you try another test drive turn off the VSA (traction control) and try it again. The way the VSA operates is when the wheels start to spin the VSA kicks in and cuts the rpms to the engine. Since I live in New England and drive in the snow/ice this happens all the time in first gear. There is an indicator on the dash I believe below the tach that lights up a triangle in an orange color when the VSA automatically engages. It doesn't take much of a punch to the gas to get this to happen especially with the Turanzas.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro

Great, want a cookie?

I stall everytime on an up-hill with my car and bike, please teach me drive like you.

Originally Posted by 340HP
I test drove a 6MT TL as well, and the salesman was impressed that I was the only person not to stall it up a hill behind the dealership. I had NO ISSUES with the test drive. The TL is awesome in MT.

Chumps.

Learn how to drive MT then test drive cars.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

PsyKotiC RydeR,

First of all, welcome back to the forums.

Did you still drive your Max auto? I know you're capable of driving 6MT in the past, and would you consider to test-drive another 6MT from teh different dealership?

Please stop bashing those ppl replying your thread. They're just trying to help. Without fully testing the vehicle you're test-driving, we really don't know what's going on with it. It'd be worth a 2nd visit to the dealership and having another 6MT testdrive again. IMO, my first test-drive was aweful, but the 2nd and 3rd were great.

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
...the 6mt tranny is hard to get used to at first....
Old 02-12-2005, 10:52 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't ready to give away my 00TL+NAV
but after test driving a 6MT
I told the guy where do I sign?

took delivery 4 hours later (after they finished with the prep)!
have not regret it since... Nov 17 2003.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Pro

For you guys that know how to drive stick, good for you! It's nothing special or outragously difficult. I've been driving a 6spd myself for three years and I have no issues. It took me a few moments to get the hang of it when I first learned it. According to some of you fellas, I have to learn how to drive manual....but I already do know. I even ride a bike with 6 gears.

Once again, I didn't launch the car at all. The bogging/jerking effect happened when I pressed the gas pedal slightly to accelrate, clutch fully engaged, already going 5mph+/_, and not going full throttle. I had no issues with the clutch engagement at all. It was nice and easy.

It's amusing how some of you guys make it this BIG thing when it comes to driving a 6spd on TL. It's no big deal. Get over it.

Hey PsyKotiC.... When I was test driviing the 6speed, my friend did the same thing... we called it the bucking bronco!!.... However, I believe that it was the result of hitting the gas too hard at too low of RPM... if the RPM was higher, say above 2000 or 25000... the car took off like a rocket... or, if you eased into the gas, but faster than normal to get acceleration... it did also.... the only time was punching the gas at too low of RPM...

I have never experienced it myself on my car, but have not tried to recreate it....
Old 02-13-2005, 06:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,288 Likes on 2,646 Posts
What may have happend is what a test pilot describes as "Self Induced Control Oscillation". This may sound like a fancy term but is quite simple.

1) you give the accelerator some gas
2) The car accelerate forward forcing you backwards (for every force there is a equal and opposite force) in your seat.
3) Your foot will come off the accelerator enough that you decrease engine power.
4) This causes to the car to slow down or decelerate.
5) The deceleration causes you to go forward and hence your foot goes into the accelerator and you accelerate again. Go back to step 1)

This is nothing new happens to mechanical and DBW throttle engines and even experts get caught out by it. One of the F-22 ATF jet fighter prototypes was crashed in a low altitude test flight by a senior Lockheed test pilot when he did this with the control stick. Depsite all the computers and fly-by-wire controls he induced pitch osicllation and slamed the aircraft into the runway. It did not write off the aircraft but heavily damaged it.

I will agree that the TL clutch is tricky and I have learned to pivot my right foot from the floor since the thottle is hinged from the floor and not the dash area (as on most cars including Honda/Acura). I too have stalled my TL a handful of times in the first week and 200 miles.

Originally Posted by Formula 350
Hey PsyKotiC.... When I was test driviing the 6speed, my friend did the same thing... we called it the bucking bronco!!.... However, I believe that it was the result of hitting the gas too hard at too low of RPM... if the RPM was higher, say above 2000 or 25000... the car took off like a rocket... or, if you eased into the gas, but faster than normal to get acceleration... it did also.... the only time was punching the gas at too low of RPM...

I have never experienced it myself on my car, but have not tried to recreate it....
Old 02-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey, do you have a 05 tl by any chance?
not an 05, but an 04 6MT
Old 02-13-2005, 11:00 AM
VTEC HoooA

I think the point here is that the TL is different from a large number of manual cars. I have always driven manual tranny cars (have been driving them for 19 years),but the TL DID require an adjustment period. The reason behind this in my opinion is the drive by wire throttle (all computer controlled) vs normal cars that have a direct mechanical link to the throttle. You will notice that even in nuetral when giving the car some gas there is an ever so slight delay (this is the drive by wire system processing your throttle position and in turn executing it). In addition the exit point on the clutch is much higher off the floor than most manuals I have driven.

It is not that you need to learn to drive a manual (obviously you already know how to since you drive one) you need to learn to drive the TL in manual. It truly is different from alot of other vehicles (I know because I own one).

I think you will find the TSX lacking in the torque/horsepower department in comparison to the TL. There is no substitute for extra cylinders!! I suggest giving it another go in the TL before making your final choice.

Regardless good luck with your decision!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro

Wow, some one actually remembers me!!

BTW, the maxima was never mine. The maxima was my parents and it's still doing well. Thanks for asking.

Originally Posted by rets
PsyKotiC RydeR,

First of all, welcome back to the forums.

Did you still drive your Max auto? I know you're capable of driving 6MT in the past, and would you consider to test-drive another 6MT from teh different dealership?

Please stop bashing those ppl replying your thread. They're just trying to help. Without fully testing the vehicle you're test-driving, we really don't know what's going on with it. It'd be worth a 2nd visit to the dealership and having another 6MT testdrive again. IMO, my first test-drive was aweful, but the 2nd and 3rd were great.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro

I understand what you are saying with the RPMS being too low. However, from what I remember the rpms was around 1500-2000 in first gear and I didn't give too much gas. I was pulling out of the parking lot.

A similar event would be going WOT in 5th going 20mph or so..

Old 02-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro

I agree with you on your terms, however that wasn't my case while test driving it. Reason being, I did not give enough gas pedal to push myself to the back of my seat or enough gas to have my foot taken off the gas pedal harshly.

Again, with the TL 6spd being tricky...I don't see why it is tricky. It felt like any other honda with a manual to me. If it is "tricky" or "different" than other hondas, please do educate me on why it is.

I've never stalled the TL when I test drove it. If anything, the pedal feel is just too damn light compared to what I'm used to. I've driven a civic 5spd, TSX 6spd, s2k 6spd, and a nsx 5spd when it comes to my experience with driving honda manaul equipped cars.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
What may have happend is what a test pilot describes as "Self Induced Control Oscillation". This may sound like a fancy term but is quite simple.

1) you give the accelerator some gas
2) The car accelerate forward forcing you backwards (for every force there is a equal and opposite force) in your seat.
3) Your foot will come off the accelerator enough that you decrease engine power.
4) This causes to the car to slow down or decelerate.
5) The deceleration causes you to go forward and hence your foot goes into the accelerator and you accelerate again. Go back to step 1)

This is nothing new happens to mechanical and DBW throttle engines and even experts get caught out by it. One of the F-22 ATF jet fighter prototypes was crashed in a low altitude test flight by a senior Lockheed test pilot when he did this with the control stick. Depsite all the computers and fly-by-wire controls he induced pitch osicllation and slamed the aircraft into the runway. It did not write off the aircraft but heavily damaged it.

I will agree that the TL clutch is tricky and I have learned to pivot my right foot from the floor since the thottle is hinged from the floor and not the dash area (as on most cars including Honda/Acura). I too have stalled my TL a handful of times in the first week and 200 miles.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Pro

I'm assuming that the TL doesnt have a throttle cable, but an electronic throttle system. Again, besides all of the posters on this thread saying the TL MT is just different based on opinions can any one share facts why it is different?

MT equipped cars will have a different engagment point and when it comes to test driving a MT equipped car..I usually put it in 1st gear and feel the pedal to find out where the engagement point is. I did the same with the TL and it only took a moment for me to get used to it.

I agree with the TSX being less torquey compared to a TL. I think that's only bovious. But, I didn't find the TL having too much torque when I redlined 1st gear at WOT.

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
I think the point here is that the TL is different from a large number of manual cars. I have always driven manual tranny cars (have been driving them for 19 years),but the TL DID require an adjustment period. The reason behind this in my opinion is the drive by wire throttle (all computer controlled) vs normal cars that have a direct mechanical link to the throttle. You will notice that even in nuetral when giving the car some gas there is an ever so slight delay (this is the drive by wire system processing your throttle position and in turn executing it). In addition the exit point on the clutch is much higher off the floor than most manuals I have driven.

It is not that you need to learn to drive a manual (obviously you already know how to since you drive one) you need to learn to drive the TL in manual. It truly is different from alot of other vehicles (I know because I own one).

I think you will find the TSX lacking in the torque/horsepower department in comparison to the TL. There is no substitute for extra cylinders!! I suggest giving it another go in the TL before making your final choice.

Regardless good luck with your decision!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro

Hey PsyK...

I decided to see if I could repoduce what you are talking about tonight... once should not hurt...

But, I could not do it.. went as low as 1,000 RPM and floored it... it just bogged with VSA until it got some momentum and then took off... I tried a mid level gas and not bucking....just a 'bog' in the engine... maybe if I turned off VSA???
Old 02-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro

When it happened, I didn't floor it. I just gave it gas. Nothing too crazy. Let this thread die now!

Hey PsyK...

I decided to see if I could repoduce what you are talking about tonight... once should not hurt...

But, I could not do it.. went as low as 1,000 RPM and floored it... it just bogged with VSA until it got some momentum and then took off... I tried a mid level gas and not bucking....just a 'bog' in the engine... maybe if I turned off VSA???
Old 02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Great, want a cookie?

I stall everytime on an up-hill with my car and bike, please teach me drive like you.
I did get a cookie.

Whenever you're ready, I'll teach you how to drive MT. Climb a hill without stalling. Chirp in 2nd too. AND third. Come on over.. :blaze:
Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Instructor

i test drove this baby today in the afternoon, it was amazin

smoother compared to the G35

When I drove the G35, i literally stalled out like 5 times every intersection, but this TL 6speed wasn't that hard of a car to learn on. Never stalled, shifted fairly smooth too. Car is more refined than the G35, so I may be getting it within a year or so
Old 02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro

what does chirping the tires have to do with learning how to drive a stick? chirp 3rd in ur TL? WOW! that thing must put out some incredible power!!

I'm ready, please teach me a lesson or two on drivng the ALMIGHTY TL 6spd...or we can just start with not so amazing stick shifts.

Originally Posted by 340HP
I did get a cookie.

Whenever you're ready, I'll teach you how to drive MT. Climb a hill without stalling. Chirp in 2nd too. AND third. Come on over.. :blaze:
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro

the g35/350z 6spds felt more solid and had a shorter throw from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by SlayerGTR
i test drove this baby today in the afternoon, it was amazin

smoother compared to the G35

When I drove the G35, i literally stalled out like 5 times every intersection, but this TL 6speed wasn't that hard of a car to learn on. Never stalled, shifted fairly smooth too. Car is more refined than the G35, so I may be getting it within a year or so
Old 03-11-2005, 12:47 AM
04 remembrance

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=jerk+throttle

That should explain it.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iamhomin
I disagree. I don't think that thread offers any explanation, let alone the correct one.

Setting aside driver error, the phenomenon may result from the heavy flywheel and the abrubt tip-in that results, but I can't really tell for sure.

Bottom line for this thread, take another 6MT for a spin and see what happens . . .