Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove 04 TL, first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove 04 TL, first impressions

First of all, I am new to this forum and I own a 2001 Honda Accord 3.0 L with 200 hp/195 torque.

When I first bought the honda two years back, I was a little disappointed in that it did not give me the kind of accelaration that I desired. Two years and 30000 miles into driving the accord, it is now much more responsive to my style of driving (quick starts off signals) and seems to have plenty of power on the freeway.

Once problem I do have with the Accord is that the shifting on the automatic was kind of abrupt and when you hit the gas real hard, it sometimes appears as though the transmission refuses to engage at your will and engages only when it feels like doing so. I have been cursing my Accord for this reason while other vehicles like camry, lexus or altima offered much smoother transmission.

With that background I test drove the Acura TL last week. The shifting is much smoother than an Accord, though I could definitely feel they are very similar vehicles. The braking was much sharper. The interior ??? Absolutely fantasitic. The dashboard was brighly lit even during the day. The handling was roughly the same as my Accord. The sticker price: $35156 or something like that, for the one with Navigation.

I like the carbide interior more than the wooden trim, since the carbide matches well with the rest of the console, the aluminum lining etc. The vehicle's interior is almost the same size as my Accord, but the cargo space is actually smaller than my accord. The 235 cm tires are much wider and can handle the torque without burning the tires on fast starts on greens.

When I drove back home on my Accord, I honestly did not feel a dramatic difference in handling or performance between the two cars.

While the features offered by this vehicle are unbeatable (though I think they should have included a rear view camera and the ability to play DVD movies atleast when parked to complete the technology intensive interior), is 35K worth it for this one ?

I will just wait for the prices to reach reasonable levels in the coming months. It is still too new in the market and I won't pay the sticker price.

If you are an Accord owner, especially the V6, this vehicle may not feel much different, if a different style of driving and handling are the reasons why you are buying a new vehicle.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Wow. Are you serious? Gives one reason for a pause, doesn't it? Have you ever driven a TSX? Maybe you should and tell us your driving impressions.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove the car yesterday, and spent about 2 hours looking over the car, and driving it... I really really liked it. I'm very impressed by the entire car. Now, I'm gettin a new car ONLY if my car doesn't drive like it did before the accident. I'll get my car back tomorrow. Its either an 04 TL, or 03 TLS... they'll give me one for 27K. Thats not bad at all. TLP for about 25K. I was like, hmmm... maybe I should just get an 03 and wait for a while to get the 04. but yea, I really love that 04 TL... its absolutley a great vehicle, and for a good price. I love it.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Maxim
Wow. Are you serious? Gives one reason for a pause, doesn't it? Have you ever driven a TSX? Maybe you should and tell us your driving impressions.
Well I test drove a TSX and then a TL-S on the same day a couple of months ago. There is no comparison when it comes to acceleration: The TL-S is MUCH faster. I was originally looking at the TSX but after driving the TL-S, there was no comparison for me. I'm glad the salesmen suggested that I just "give the TL-S a try."

Looking at the 04 TLs, I dunno, it visually does not grab my attention. Plus, I wouldn't pay $35k for one. Just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The only reason I would want the 04 TL is for the 6 speed manual transmission. I'm not crazy about automatic. Manual transmissions give you more control, better braking power and takes less out of the engine over the life of the car.

I just purchased the 03 TL-S about 2 months ago and really enjoy it. I ended up paying just shy of $300 UNDER invoice with 2.9% for 60 months and free oil changes for life. I really wanted to wait for the 04 to take advantage of the manual tranny, but it was not worth it to me to pay sticker for the car and pay double the interest. If they could offer me the 04 for close to the same price, it would be a no brainer, but I know that won't happen. Plus, you have to order your car and probably won't see it for months.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

I've just test-driven the 04 TL today and I wish I could trade-in my '02. Handling is great. The engine is very quite even I suddenly floored it. The cabin is much more quite than mine. I felt like I was listening to a home theater with the ELS surroundsound system. The ride was not as bumpy as my '02 Type-S. Maybe the suspension and tires helped improve that. In summary, that is awesome!

One thing I don't like is that the trunk is 2 cu feet smaller.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Twenty03 Type-S
Well I test drove a TSX and then a TL-S on the same day a couple of months ago. There is no comparison when it comes to acceleration: The TL-S is MUCH faster. I was originally looking at the TSX but after driving the TL-S, there was no comparison for me. I'm glad the salesmen suggested that I just "give the TL-S a try."

Looking at the 04 TLs, I dunno, it visually does not grab my attention. Plus, I wouldn't pay $35k for one. Just my opinion.
I did test drive the TSX and determined that it did not handle any better than my Prelude, nor was it any faster. Then, just to be sure, I did it again. Same impressions. I test drove the 03 TL, though not the TL-S. It is fast. However, I agree with you about not paying 35K for the 04. I think that 33K is a fair price considering what you are getting for it. But when the first post here suggests that handling and acceleration are not significantly better than the Accord V6, then you have to wonder.....
Old 10-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Advanced

I went to see it yesterday... to finalyy answer the question, "is the 04 worth trading in my 02TL-S??" And the answer is no. Although it's so hot, and they did an amazing job... I have no desire to switch. Infact, I walked back to my TL and smiled. I got that thing under 30 grand... loaded. It's almost paid off and I love it even more now. I guess I'm growing up or something. The little kid in me didn't see reason enough to change.