Sponsored by:

Test Drive : 07 Acura Tl Type S 6mt and 07 G35 sedan 5at

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drive : 07 Acura Tl Type S 6mt and 07 G35 sedan 5at

POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER SECTION, MEANT TO POST IT iN HERE

So I'm going to be purchasing a new car in the next six months or so. My requirements are a manual transmission "sports sedan". Two of my main competitors are the tl type s and the g35.

My mom was at an Infiniti dealership looking at FX's, and I noticed that they had a 2007 cbp acura tl type s in 6mt and I knew that I had to drive it. While i was there, i decided to also drive a g35 even though amazingly they didnt have ONE g35 or g37 in 6mt on the entire lot (2 or 4 door).

ACURA

First impressions were that I did not like the cbp color on this car. I am a bit concerned that the car looks a little to "tuner special" in general, and the cbp in my opinion accentuates that type of look. The car in general had a nice size to it. Not too big, not too small.

Interior/Ergonomics

This car had the tan interior. I did like the look of this inteerior, and the seats were fantastically comfortable. The shifter felt good, everyghing was placed well. The backseat size and comfort was also very good. The trunk was very spacious. Overall, the interior was very good.

Electronics

The screen was ok. The stereo sounded pretty good, but nothing amazing imo. The resolution of the screen and its overall design is a bit dated as compared to the more modern cars available. I did not get a chance to test the bluetooth, but im sure it works well.

Driving Impressions

First impresssions were that the cars shifter is smooth as hell. I cannot remember a car that was easier to drive smoothly in my life. I felt like I couldnt bog a shift if i wanted to. Made for a nice drive. The engine sounds were very muted which surprised me. The car was also not quite as powerful as I expected. This might have been partially enhanced because of the lack of sound from the engine. Not nearly as vocal as the g35.

FWD was an experience. I did feel the dreaded torque steer and squirrely feeling that came with it. Overall, fun car to drive and it handled well even though I cant say i really liked the feeling of FWD.

G35

The styling is decent on this car to me. Though my family and friends find it classy and expensive looking. My thoughts are more like "meh" towards the styling. Its ok.

Interior/Ergonomics

Good size, but smaller than the TL. Seat comfort was much worse imo. Stiff seats and cheaper leather. Styling is conservative but boring. Decent interior. Did like the placement of the nav screen.

Electronics

Very good nav unit and display. I was really impressed with this unit. This is one area where the g was vastly superior to the TL in my opinion. Stereo was decent, but its a BOSE. I dont like BOSE so id prefer the tl unit here.

Driving Impressions

It was a bummer to have to drive the auto. This cars power also did not blow me away. More powerful than the TL, but really mainly noticeable that low end and mid range power is more plentiful. The engine also sounds much better. Maybe an intake on the tl (honda engines always sound damn good with an intake) would open it up a bit.

The handling was equally as good, and id give the steering feel and the fact that its not fwd the nod over the TL.

OVERALL

I came away lukewarm on both. I liked things about both cars, but really wasnt in love with either.

If the TL had about 20-30 more whp and torque especially in that midrange and a better functioning nav, id be sold. As of now, im not convinced.

If i had to pick today, the tl would likely edge out the g based on styling, clutch feel and interior comfort.

Fun test drive and I look forward to driving some more cars and a manual transmission g35 or g37.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Since you already have a thread in CarTalk which is really where a thread like this belongs and some members have made a couple of posts, I am going to close this one.

Let us know which one you choose.