3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic = bad...?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, the mid knows nothing of what is actually in the engine, other than you report it being there.

Mike
Old 11-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports did a study back then and they said that they synthetic and dino both preformed and protected the same as long as they had the latest API starburst seal for Gasoline engines.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
The cost of synthetics is small if you use it wisely.
For example, I bought Mobil 1 Extended Performance (guaranteed 15,000 / one year) for $28 (5qt), and $11 for oil filter, plus $10 for labor to change oil and filter.
Total $50.

I will keep this oil for 1 year since I drive about 9-10K per year.
So $50 is not bad for 1 year....
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brettg
Are you REALLY going to run the car till 300,000 miles?
If not, synthetic wont buy you anything.
If you go by the mid and change the oil when its supposed to be changed, a good quality oil should be fine.

I get a kick out of people spending the bucks for a synthetic oil change who will only run the car to 80,000 miles. The next people to get the car would be happy most likely, but its not doing anything for the first owner.

The only time I would run synthetic in the TL is if I wanted to go to extended drains, like 10,000 miles, and even then its more expensive.

Brett

Exactly!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:59 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I plan to keep my car as long as possible, I like putting in synthetic because it makes me feel special.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I like synthetics mainly because of extended drain interval. I waste less time getting an oil change, and its also better for environment.
And if I decide to keep car for long time, its also a plus.
like I said, if you run synthetics for a long drain interval, then you are not paying more, it adds up to be about the same.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
I like synthetics mainly because of extended drain interval. I waste less time getting an oil change, and its also better for environment.
like I said, if you run synthetics for a long drain interval, then you are not paying more, it adds up to be about the same.

what grade oil are you using? im thinking about doing the same thing but mobil 1 extended performance doesn't have 5w20
Old 01-06-2007, 06:18 PM
10th Gear

what oil grade are you using? im thinking about doing the same thing 10k intervals, but doesnt manufactury recomends using 5w20.. but mobil 1 extended performance doesn't have that grade.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Using synthetic oil not only gives less friction- and all other things discussed, if you ever decide to sell your beloved TL and have receipts for the oil purchases, it will command a higher private party sale price than the next car that was always taken to Spiffy or Jiffy Pop or wherever the prior owner thought was taking good care of them

Purchased my car a 2001, with near 70K miles and first things done were K&N air filter, Seafoamed the engine, K&N oil filter and synthetic oil

We always use it in the race car, so the road car deserves the same!

Next project- pull a plug for a reading and plan on replace spark plugs, gas is expensive! fuel saving measures are worth what you pay for them!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjoven1225
what oil grade are you using? im thinking about doing the same thing 10k intervals, but doesnt manufactury recomends using 5w20.. but mobil 1 extended performance doesn't have that grade.
I use 5w30 as stated in my owners manual. I have 2001 Acura CLS. 5w30 might be still OK for your car, check with owners manual.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Race Director

The acura dealership in Charlotte as far as I know doesnt even off anything but synthetic. Considering they are seriously the best dealership in the whole world (I mean that seriously they are REALLY good), and I know people around here who have acuras with shitload of miles im gonna say synthetic is good for you car.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

Standard oil is best to be changed at 2500.

Synthetic oil which runs only up to 5k on the bottle should be changed at 3500.

I am an automotive tech. There are always 2 sides to the oil change. BY TIME or BY mileage

People usually go by mileage because they seem its better. Wrong its not. T-belts on hondas now are due just like oil changes. Either by time or the correct mileage.

Currently on my maxima I have 125k with excellent compression but even at 2500 my oil still comes out dark. Not black but def dark. Oil gets darker due to contamination. Granted you should ALL KNOW that fuel will leak past the pistion rings and enter the oil pan. Lets think about this for a second. Oil over 15k thats about a year that you will need to change your oil if you do the 3k or 3 month theory. So 15k is about a year or less depending on how we drive. So in a Year if you beat the piss out of the car and fuel keeps getting into the oil what will happen over a year? Say goodbye to your bearings on the crank. Fuel doesnt allow the oil to properlly lubricate moving parts.

Therefore they will not Replace your engine just because you want to do oil changes every 15k. Oil filters don't even last past 4k. So making this wonderful oil which is worthless run for a year without replacing the oil filter... well your SOL. You must look at the big picture and understand what oil does for the engine and how the engine functions. these 15k brands won't tell you that but of coarse thats how the world is. Regular 5k synthetic oil changed every 3500 is the best bang for your engine to last a very long time. And of coarse the best filter made for your car is the one designed for it.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

The cost of synthetics is small if you use it wisely.
For example, I bought Mobil 1 Extended Performance (guaranteed 15,000 / one year) for $28 (5qt), and $11 for oil filter, plus $10 for labor to change oil and filter.
Total $50.

I will keep this oil for 1 year since I drive about 9-10K per year.
So $50 is not bad for 1 year....

After 3 years please post back and let me know how your engine is running. BTW the money your saving now keep saving it because it will run you the cost of an engine.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by smx95
After 3 years please post back and let me know how your engine is running. BTW the money your saving now keep saving it because it will run you the cost of an engine.
buddy, I've been using synthetics in this car since the first oil change, and my car is now more than 6 years old and runs smooth. You obviously know very little about modern synthetic oils such as Mobil1 EP and Amsoil. Please visit their web sites:
www.mobil1.com
www.amsoil.com

Also do a search on this forum, and see the oil test results done by the other members at 10K miles.
And BTW, Just because your oil turns black does not mean anything.
10K oil changes is noth a myth, BMW and Mercedes have been recommending them for a long time in the owner manuals. Even our manual recommends 7500/1 yr using regular oil for normal driving.

you need to catch up on a lot of readings....
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Sorry but its a waste of money to use Synthetic for 3k. It can last for 6k+ in a car easily these days. And with tests from Blackstone labs proves it. BITOG forums you might learn some. Also you should know Bill99GXE because he keeps track of a excel spreadsheet of all the test results of different oils over there. And it all proved they can easily go 5-6k+ without another oil change.

I am an automotive tech. There are always 2 sides to the oil change. BY TIME or BY mileage

People usually go by mileage because they seem its better. Wrong its not. T-belts on hondas now are due just like oil changes. Either by time or the correct mileage.

Currently on my maxima I have 125k with excellent compression but even at 2500 my oil still comes out dark. Not black but def dark. Oil gets darker due to contamination. Granted you should ALL KNOW that fuel will leak past the pistion rings and enter the oil pan. Lets think about this for a second. Oil over 15k thats about a year that you will need to change your oil if you do the 3k or 3 month theory. So 15k is about a year or less depending on how we drive. So in a Year if you beat the piss out of the car and fuel keeps getting into the oil what will happen over a year? Say goodbye to your bearings on the crank. Fuel doesnt allow the oil to properlly lubricate moving parts.

Therefore they will not Replace your engine just because you want to do oil changes every 15k. Oil filters don't even last past 4k. So making this wonderful oil which is worthless run for a year without replacing the oil filter... well your SOL. You must look at the big picture and understand what oil does for the engine and how the engine functions. these 15k brands won't tell you that but of coarse thats how the world is. Regular 5k synthetic oil changed every 3500 is the best bang for your engine to last a very long time. And of coarse the best filter made for your car is the one designed for it.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 AM
信是寶

And BTW, Just because your oil turns black does not mean anything.
10K oil changes is noth a myth, BMW and Mercedes have been recommending them for a long time in the owner manuals. Even our manual recommends 7500/1 yr using regular oil for normal driving.

Yeah, from my research I have found that you can run your car longer with the modern synthetics ... I know in Germany we change it like every 10-15k; I run my TL until it tells me to right down to 0% ... it's like 6k+ w/ Mobil1 oil and Mobil filter. In large the 3k oil change is encouraged by the oil companies - more business. But they are even changing their tune now ...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
Yeah, from my research I have found that you can run your car longer with the modern synthetics ... I know in Germany we change it like every 10-15k; I run my TL until it tells me to right down to 0% ... it's like 6k+ w/ Mobil1 oil and Mobil filter. In large the 3k oil change is encouraged by the oil companies - more business. But they are even changing their tune now ...
I have older car, which does not have an oil monitor (2001 Acura CLS), so I go by miles and time.
The oil monitor technology that you have does consider chemical properties of the oil, it simply analyzes some factors such as time and drivng style.... It assumes you have regular oil, so if you put synthetics, it does not know that. I am pretty sure with Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil you can do at least 10K miles/1yr change intervals.
Yes, in Germany, and in most of Europe extended oil changes have become normal. I am sure Germans know what they are doing

btw, I also would not trust oil monitor to be accurate, its probably very very conservative to make sure that people come to dealer more offten so they can make $$$
Old 01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, it depends on the type of driving you do. City driving and daily traffic jams will likely require more frequent oil changes at smaller mile intervals. Frequent highway driving will not. As I believe Europe has more of the latter than the former, they can probably get away with higher miles between changes.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

6k is the shortest on any type of driving you should go with Synthetic.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
6k is the shortest on any type of driving you should go with Synthetic.
not true, you have no basis for this statement. Have you done any oil analysis to prove it? amsoil is warranted for 15,000 under severe driving or 25,000 under normal. (but has to be changed once a year regardless).

it seems that people are making statements based on old myths. The synthetic oil industry in the past 5 years made a lot of improvements geared towards extended drain intervals.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Im sorry but you dont know much about oil and motors then. I think the guys making the motor know more and how long the motor can go between intervals. 3k is just a plain waste on even regular Dino oil even now days. Every one is brain washed on that. The best way to tell is simply have your oil tested. Its cheap, tells you whats in the oil as far as contaminants. and you can get it tested for TBN or how much oil life is left.

My first 100k on the TL motor was 7500-8 k intervals on regular Dino oil. the 2nd 100k (yes thats 200k) was with syn on 10 and eventually 15k intervals. When i pulled that motor out to do a 6 speed swap the compression on that motor was at factory new spec range, the original cross hatching is still visible in the cyl walls. Never burned a drop. Since the swap i will continue to run 10 and 15k intervals and dont plan on having any issue with this motor going beyond 300k. (past and present motor Idle all day long as well)
And for those wondering mine typically has a TBN of 3 at 15k

Again. Have your oil tested. It will tell you what type of condition the oil is in and whats in it. Its a nice and cheap (20 bucks to have analyzed) piece of mind.
Oh and the timing belt made it to 200k and it looks just like the new one i bought.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Hondata > *

the best way to tell how your oil is holding up and how frequent oil intervals is to get an oil analysis. Blackstone labs is good.

synthetic holds good against breakdown for a long time. up to 8k miles assuming engine is in good conditions from the start.

also, even the manufacturer states that these honda motors can take up to 5k miles on dino oil in severe conditions.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

not true, you have no basis for this statement. Have you done any oil analysis to prove it? amsoil is warranted for 15,000 under severe driving or 25,000 under normal. (but has to be changed once a year regardless).

it seems that people are making statements based on old myths. The synthetic oil industry in the past 5 years made a lot of improvements geared towards extended drain intervals.
Actually I have done over a few dozen analysis, and been on BITOG forums for a few years to know that 6k on synthetic or greater is fine to a point. Anything under 6k is a WASTE.

You can't run Amsoil to 15k-25k as it is a marking gimmick. Per tests it can't last that long safely. No sir, from experience, tests, etc. I suggest you do some reading and studying on your own so you can learn.

Yes, the oil can go extended. Like I said, anything below 6k is a waste to change a synthetic out.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Curious what oil you are using for those intervals. I hope not the new Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Im sorry but you dont know much about oil and motors then. I think the guys making the motor know more and how long the motor can go between intervals. 3k is just a plain waste on even regular Dino oil even now days. Every one is brain washed on that. The best way to tell is simply have your oil tested. Its cheap, tells you whats in the oil as far as contaminants. and you can get it tested for TBN or how much oil life is left.

My first 100k on the TL motor was 7500-8 k intervals on regular Dino oil. the 2nd 100k (yes thats 200k) was with syn on 10 and eventually 15k intervals. When i pulled that motor out to do a 6 speed swap the compression on that motor was at factory new spec range, the original cross hatching is still visible in the cyl walls. Never burned a drop. Since the swap i will continue to run 10 and 15k intervals and dont plan on having any issue with this motor going beyond 300k. (past and present motor Idle all day long as well)
And for those wondering mine typically has a TBN of 3 at 15k

Again. Have your oil tested. It will tell you what type of condition the oil is in and whats in it. Its a nice and cheap (20 bucks to have analyzed) piece of mind.
Oh and the timing belt made it to 200k and it looks just like the new one i bought.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Instructor

synthetic oil

I ran My 98 accord to 330,000 miles and still sold my car in good running condition and virtually no issues.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brettg
How many people run a car past 100,000 miles?
People who don't like throwing away money on a new car every couple years like myself.

I've gone as much as 18,000 miles on an oil change using Royal Purple and getting oil samples done every 3k along with a filter change. According to the samples I could have kept running the oil but it was real hard for me to break the habit of wasting oil.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Curious what oil you are using for those intervals. I hope not the new Mobil 1.
Yes M1.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

You can't run Amsoil to 15k-25k as it is a marking gimmick. Per tests it can't last that long safely. No sir, from experience, tests, etc. I suggest you do some reading and studying on your own so you can learn.
Of course marketing is going to the extremes, but from tests 10K miles seems to be OK if you are normal driver. Even Mobil 1 EP seems to be OK at 10K miles based on oil tests, talk to fsttyms1 or do some reading on your own.
And Mobil 1 EP is better than Mobil 1 for longer drain intervals.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MisterFubar
People who don't like throwing away money on a new car every couple years like myself.

I've gone as much as 18,000 miles on an oil change using Royal Purple and getting oil samples done every 3k along with a filter change. According to the samples I could have kept running the oil but it was real hard for me to break the habit of wasting oil.
I would pick up filters designed for extended intervals and change them less often. Also having the oil tested every 3k isnt necessary.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Yes M1.
I suggest reading the bitog forums and you will see mobil 1 change the formula to the group iii and its no longer a full synthetic. You might want to consider switching to something that still is if you want to go that long on intervals.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Instructor

I would pick up filters designed for extended intervals and change them less often. Also having the oil tested every 3k isnt necessary.

At the time I wasn't paying for the samples and it was for a new motor that I had just built so I was being slightly anal. You are right though, sampling every 3k is overkill.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hurray for Dino!

I'm no expert, but I have some experience. From what I can tell, synthetic is superior, but that doesn't mean regular oil changes with Dino are problematic.

I loved to stomp on the gas all the time in my 2000 Integra
GSR, which I just traded in at 105K miles. I strictly followed my owner's manual and never ever ever ever had any problems whatsoever with the car. She purred like a kitten. It killed me to trade it

I also have 2000 Honda Accord (my wife never stomps on it), but it has about 108K miles as well. Same thing, always followed owner's manual, and the car has never let us down.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I suggest reading the bitog forums and you will see mobil 1 change the formula to the group iii and its no longer a full synthetic. You might want to consider switching to something that still is if you want to go that long on intervals.
I think you're focusing too much on the base oil...the additive pack is very important and the M1 contains is still top-notch.

Group III vs. Group IV is really splitting hairs for most daily drivers.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:08 AM
The closet is for wimps

I usually end up getting the oil changed (always at the dealer.. the Honda dealer I got the 04 Accord from.. because they're closer than the Acura dealer) every 3 months because I don't usually put on 3000 miles in 3 months.

I haven't had the first oil change in my TL yet. From the service records kept by the dealer, the last oil change was right before I bought it and a synthetic blend was used. I still plan on changing the oil at the 3-month mark. I put on 1800 miles since I bought the car just before this past Thanksgiving and the MID says the oil life is at 80%, apparently going by miles alone.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Safety Car

Of course marketing is going to the extremes, but from tests 10K miles seems to be OK if you are normal driver. Even Mobil 1 EP seems to be OK at 10K miles based on oil tests, talk to fsttyms1 or do some reading on your own.
And Mobil 1 EP is better than Mobil 1 for longer drain intervals.
M1 EP is not recommended for 10k intervals anymore after they changed the formula. Do some reading on BITOG forums.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
I think you're focusing too much on the base oil...the additive pack is very important and the M1 contains is still top-notch.

Group III vs. Group IV is really splitting hairs for most daily drivers.
Maybe so, but I rather have a PAO based synthetic (true synthetic) in my car that goes to the extent of the interval. I have even considered going to PP just for the cost factor away from Amsoil because I still change at 6k or when the MID says too.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Well the last few times its been tested there hasn't been a change. Hell id feel safe running regular Dino oil to 10k in the Honda motor (which i have). I have no fear in the oils ability to protect the motor in extended intervals
Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Where are these tests? I have seen the ones on BITOG and it has changed.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Where are these tests? I have seen the ones on BITOG and it has changed.
Im not talking about the oils formulation, im talking When i send it to blackstone labs. The results haven't changed for me. (other than the difference from the old motor to the new causing slight differences)
Old 01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

If my owners manual says that oil should be changed every 7,500 miles or 1 year under normal driving using regular oil and Honda filter, I don't see why Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil can not safely go for 10,000 miles or more using top notch oil filter.

Quick Reply: synthetic = bad...?????