Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sussman + Backup Sensor = Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Exclamation Sussman + Backup Sensor = Trouble

Please, for the love of God, don't anyone in the Philadelphia area get a backup sensor installed by Sussman Acura, on route 611 in Jenkintown!

Yes, I know there have already been a couple of posts about them, but I had already ordered my TL, complete w/backup sensor, from them when I read those. Plus, the complaints I saw were about the sales department, not service - in fact, I think I remember somebody saying they did a good job installing a cigarette lighter that another place messed up.

So... having said all that, I took delivery yesterday on my new TL 5AT Navi, ABP/Quartz, with sunroof visor and "backup sensor". Great car, but...

Basically, they completely f***ed up the backup sensor installation. Not only does it not work, even after a couple hours of them tinkering with it yesterday, but they managed to mis-align my trunk lid a bit and chip the paint on the edge of it. They want me to bring it in for a day, but frankly, I'm afraid to have these guys work on it again. Considering that yesterday the result was, "ok, your backup sensor still doesn't work, but we f***ed up the trunk for you - enjoy!", I'm wondering what else they'll mess up if I let them try again. I'm considering taking it to Davis Acura in Oxford Valley (which is near where I work), because one of my co-workers' wives has an MDX, and she takes it there.

Any other suggestions? Does anyone in the Philly area know an Acura dealership with a good service department?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stree enough how horrible this dealership was to me and my girl. I have been the best customer as I can be and they have proven to me how horrible a dealership can be.....excuse my grammer, but how does a fukin acura....not hyundai or kia...but an ACURA dealership fuk up like that........i will write my letter when i get a chance.

TO ALL PEOPLE>>>>STAY AWAY FROM SUSSMAN.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

What's the price for the backup sensors, and how much is installation? I need to see if my quote ($825 installed) is a good deal.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

Precision Acura 10 minutes accross the river in NJ (on Rt.1). They have a very good service department.

I've heard good things about Davis too, but have never been myself.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nologic98
What's the price for the backup sensors, and how much is installation? I need to see if my quote ($825 installed) is a good deal.
I got it for $1,000 Canadian installed so thats pretty close. More important than the price is that they do it properly as they have to drill holes in the bumper. Fortunately they did a great job and mine have worked flawlessly since last October.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

i go to turnersville acura in nj, no problems.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Racer

that is ridiculous, and i would certainly call acura client services and report that dealership and their lack of knowledge in handling the accesories to the new TL
Old 02-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I ended up taking it back to Sussman on Saturday, and got it back yesterday. Seems like they fixed everything fine (FINALLY!) - backup sensor works, trunk is aligned & closes properly (the service guy said they replaced the harness) and paint chips are fixed - they even threw in the rest of the bottle of touch-up paint they used, which will probably come in handy down the line (hopefully not for awhile, though!).

I doubt I'll be going back to these guys for service, unless I'm really desperate. I figure I'll try Davis for the 1st scheduled maintenance... which, BTW, my sales guy couldn't tell me when it would be! He just said the maintenance minder system would tell me - I know, I know, I should "RTFM"... and I will! But I think a TL salesman should at least know something basic like that. I won't name names, but he's the same "infamous" Sussman salesman who's been mentioned here before. Oh yeah, when I asked him how to FF/REW within a song on the DVD-A, he told me you couldn't. I said, "why, because it's a DVD-A?", and he said "no - you can't fast-forward any CD!" And they have this guy selling one of the most high-tech cars on the market... I was even the one who told him about the GPS-controlled, sun-sensitive climate control, during my first test drive! He said something like, "wow... really?" :p

As for the price of the backup sensor, I'll have to go back & check the paperwork, but I'm pretty sure it was $700 + change, installed.

And yes, Acura Client Services will definitely be hearing from me about these guys... funny, I haven't gotten my "initial quality" survey yet! Wonder why?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Advanced

I know the service manager at Davis. If you ever have any problems there, then PM me here. This goes for anyone....
Old 02-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Racer

Originally posted by elessar
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I ended up taking it back to Sussman on Saturday, and got it back yesterday. Seems like they fixed everything fine (FINALLY!) - backup sensor works, trunk is aligned & closes properly (the service guy said they replaced the harness) and paint chips are fixed - they even threw in the rest of the bottle of touch-up paint they used, which will probably come in handy down the line (hopefully not for awhile, though!).

I doubt I'll be going back to these guys for service, unless I'm really desperate. I figure I'll try Davis for the 1st scheduled maintenance... which, BTW, my sales guy couldn't tell me when it would be! He just said the maintenance minder system would tell me - I know, I know, I should "RTFM"... and I will! But I think a TL salesman should at least know something basic like that. I won't name names, but he's the same "infamous" Sussman salesman who's been mentioned here before. Oh yeah, when I asked him how to FF/REW within a song on the DVD-A, he told me you couldn't. I said, "why, because it's a DVD-A?", and he said "no - you can't fast-forward any CD!" And they have this guy selling one of the most high-tech cars on the market... I was even the one who told him about the GPS-controlled, sun-sensitive climate control, during my first test drive! He said something like, "wow... really?" :p

As for the price of the backup sensor, I'll have to go back & check the paperwork, but I'm pretty sure it was $700 + change, installed.

And yes, Acura Client Services will definitely be hearing from me about these guys... funny, I haven't gotten my "initial quality" survey yet! Wonder why?

Damn!!! now you made me feel morally wrong for putting his name up, oh well......couldn't help it, i was really pissed
Old 02-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Racer

the back up sensors are 435.00.. You can install them yourself if you are handy with tools.

If you installed your own A-Spec Body kit, the backup sensors are no different... The holes are pre-marked on the inside of the bumper. Its just running the wiring around the inside of the trunk.

my new TL that comes in, in about 1 more week, i have ordered the a-spec body kit, decklid spoiler, backup sensors, a-spec suspension, a-spec badge, and a-spec wheels...

I've done one backup sensor installation so far, it takes about a good 3 hours....