Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid rear view mirror broke off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid rear view mirror broke off!

This is friggin BS. I drive home from work and pull into the hobby shop to get a few things then get in my car. I look into my rear view mirror and it isn't adjusted right. I wasn't sure how the heck it could have moved on its own so I gently grab it to position it back to the right place and I heard a pop and a few small plastic pices broke off from the back of the mirror. So the small housing that fits around the little ball/swivel joint basically shattered. How could this happen? It's annoying too because there's no real way to secure it, not even with tape. So it just hangs,
I've got to get my oil changed anyway, so I'll be asking them to replace the mirror. BTW, the acura dealer I bought my car from is an hour away, while there is another one much closer. Would you guys bring your car back for warranty work to the place where you bought it or in my case, the dealer that is closer? I feel like I'll be snubbed by the closer dealer because I didn't buy the car from them.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Get it changed. You can bring in to any Acura dealer for warranty work.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jzinckgra
This is friggin BS. I drive home from work and pull into the hobby shop to get a few things then get in my car. I look into my rear view mirror and it isn't adjusted right. I wasn't sure how the heck it could have moved on its own so I gently grab it to position it back to the right place and I heard a pop and a few small plastic pices broke off from the back of the mirror. So the small housing that fits around the little ball/swivel joint basically shattered. How could this happen? It's annoying too because there's no real way to secure it, not even with tape. So it just hangs,
I've got to get my oil changed anyway, so I'll be asking them to replace the mirror. BTW, the acura dealer I bought my car from is an hour away, while there is another one much closer. Would you guys bring your car back for warranty work to the place where you bought it or in my case, the dealer that is closer? I feel like I'll be snubbed by the closer dealer because I didn't buy the car from them.
Closest dealer. Service departments are their own profit center and shouldn't care if you bought it through their sale dept or not. They'll get paid by Acura for their warranty work either way.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:10 PM
10th Gear

The Acura TL brochure I have mentions a "breakaway inside rearview mirror" as a safety feature (page 35). Is this what they are referring to?

How is this a safety feature?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:18 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
My mirror has busted off like this a good 12-15 times.

Once while I was in Canada... and the Canadian Acura dealer wouldnt fix it under warranty... so I drove 600 miles home with no rear view
Old 06-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jzinckgra
jzinckgra,

They should just replace it regardless of where you purchased the car. As someone else said, the Acura Service Departments are their own profit centers.
By the way, I'm from Massachusetts as well (Western Mass); where did you buy your car?
I should be picking up my SSM/Ebony/NAVI/6MT/HPT in the next week or so from Acura of Auburn.

TL-Rocket
Old 06-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Instructor

By the way, I'm from Massachusetts as well (Western Mass); where did you buy your car?
I got mine from acura of boston, but since i live in sturbridge, the auburn dealer is much closer. I called and made the appt. today. The guy on the phone said that they might have to order a "part" for the mirror. I'm like, "no, i think you'll need to order a whole new mirror", as the whole back of the mirror is one piece. Unless, they can just pull the actual mirror away from the plastic housing. Whatver. Guaranteed I'll get there, they'll look at it and tell me they need to get a new mirror. Why can't they just order in advance? my appt. is next tues. oh well, we'll see.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soopa
My mirror has busted off like this a good 12-15 times.
Huh? On the same car or different cars? What the heck are you doing to those poor mirrors?