Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealership??

I know most of you are expecting the usual story about a dealership that has robbed me blind based upon the title. BUT...I can actually tell you all that I was done right by an Acura dealership. I know, I know..its hard to believe. I'm still in disbelief.
So to get the story, I recently bought an 07 TL Type-S 6 speed with 26k miles on it. By the end of the first week of ownership I knew something was wrong with the clutch. The pedal would disappear if I ran through the gears, taking it up to redline. This was to the point where it wouldn't even go into gear without pumping the pedal a few times. I also had the infamous third gear grind. To say the least I was disappointed with my purchase. After researching these problems throughout the forum, I knew it was time to take it in to Acura. Now I can not say that I have ever had a good experience at the dealership.(previously owned an 01 cls auto) Of course, they could not "recreate" either of these problems. Luckily though they got the OK from acura to complete the 3rd gear recall. While the tranny was apart they said they would take a look at the clutch, If good they would replace the slave cylinder, if bad, I would have to buy a clutch. My service manager told me I could just replace the clutch most likely not the bearing or flywheel and they would do this without any labor charge if necessary. So I was expecting a few hundred dollars at worst.
Next day I receive the call. Tranny is apart and the clutch is completely destroyed!! The tech said he doesn't know how the tranny was still shifting... and he couldn't tell by driving the car.?. So the whole clutch assembly is destroyed. About $1300 in parts...At that point the disappointment in my recent purchase became pure hatred!!! My service manager told me to relax and that he would try to figure out how they could warranty it. (didn't sleep very well that nite)
About 24 hours later he calls me with AMAZING news. Somehow he had the warranty tech come to the dealer and take a look at the clutch. After a little coercing by the service manager, the warranty tech said that he was in such disbelief that he would warranty the whole job for me, with the exception of $100.
The job was done in a few days, they even gave me an 09 TL-tech Loaner.
Now I can say that they totally took care of me. I have never received service like this from an Acura dealership. They also fixed the rear deck rattle and a bad door sensor I had.
I live in Long Island NY and went to Acura Bay Shore in Bay Shore. I would suggest that anyone with a problem go to them. They are truly honest and beyond helpful. I dealt with Matt and he was a good guy. He actually cared about helping me! I didn't think this ever happened at a dealership.
Sorry for the long story but everyone always tells the horror stories so I figured I would take time to tell a good one.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad that they were able to fix it under warranty. I would expect them to since you bought the car from them and it is still in the warranty period. If it is certified pre-owned, you should have the extended warranty as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
Glad that they were able to fix it under warranty. I would expect them to since you bought the car from them and it is still in the warranty period. If it is certified pre-owned, you should have the extended warranty as well.
They should fix the car free of charge as it was just purchased, and should have been checked by the dealership before delivery, but even under the Acura warranty the clutch assembly is excluded.
At least you can sleep tonight!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! Amazing story. Glad they took care of you and your Type-S.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM
et.org

good to hear, i also have a good dealership that takes care of me. I go to Sterling McCall Acura in Houston,TX and they always take care of my 3rd party extended warranty with no questions asked.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Yea..it is still under factory warranty but clutch shouldnt be covered..didnt buy it from acura either. Actually bought it from an Audi dealership and when I brought it back to them 4 weeks later the salesman told me that's what I get for beating on my car. Basically they wouldnt do anything for me...BEINER AUDI in Long Island..Dont ever go there!!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
wow someone tore up that clutch if it failed in 20k miles ... but glad to hear that they took care of u
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Great story Quicksilver. I wish your story had also happened to Audioholic. I just read his terrible dealings with a dealership in his area in the "Problems & Fixes" section.

Congrats!

2009 Kansas City All Acura Meet-May 17th
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714994